XM PCR?

Posted by: sharper3

XM PCR? - 14/03/2004 10:18

Has anyone considered writing software to control the XM PCR through the Empeg? Possibly expand its features past just playing to Tivo-like capabilities - it stores a song as it plays (as well as its information) and if you like it you can just select save and it saves it for future playback. Just an idea.
Posted by: sharper3

Re: XM PCR? - 14/03/2004 15:21

45 views and no replys? Is this something people would be interested in?
Posted by: andym

Re: XM PCR? - 14/03/2004 16:17

Out of all the empeg owners there are probably less than a dozen that actually write software for the empeg. The majority of us are more than happy with what Hugo and the boys have already provided. As for me, if I had any spare time, i'd put it to better use.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: XM PCR? - 14/03/2004 19:31

Possibly expand its features past just playing to Tivo-like capabilities
No. Click here and here.
Posted by: Daria

Re: XM PCR? - 14/03/2004 19:43

Is this something people would be interested in?

Sure, if *you* write it.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 08:45

I posted about it here. I'm thinking about tackling this project, but I've never done any programming on the empeg, and it's been since college since I did anything involving serial communication and C (or any programming in C). Basically, I'm saying that there will be a pretty good learning curve and I'm not that speedy to begin with, but I'll probably putter away at it. As soon as I get the clams for the XM PCR unit.

On the plus side, if this does get off the ground, anyone will be able to get a tuner for their empeg for $50 (plus subscription) and patrick can make cooler toys instead of tuners.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 11:26

Well you wouldn't have todo it all from scratch, as there are some third-party scripts available for non M$ OSes.

Of course most of this is mute as the XM PCR connects via the USB port of which we don't have a USB host on the empeg for it to work with.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 13:00

As noted in the other thread:

Fortunately, it is a serial device that is simply using a FTDI serial-usb chip to convert the signal to USB. The pins to grab the serial from are here. We could just connect them up to a MAX232 chip and viola...serial to the empeg.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 14:18

Doh!
/me heads off to get some ketchup.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 14:39

moot* (spelling and pronunciation)
as in school and boo
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: XM PCR? - 15/03/2004 21:05

On the otherhand, since this is about how to get XM stuff working through the Empeg, "mute" appears to be an appropriate mispelling.