Lens Gels

Posted by: Mach

Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 16:11

More good news coming out of Amersfoort, Filener will soon be making lens gels. If you haven't been able to match your dash lights as close as you'd like or just want more color options, this is what you need.

The details are as follows:

38 colors with 2 low glare clear lenses for $50. These are stage light gels that are meant to be placed behind the clear lens or standard lenses. They can be stacked together to mix colors.

I'm trying to get an idea on demand so if you're interested, please post here.

Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 16:17

I'm always a sucker for empeg bits
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 16:29

I am of the "collect the whole set" variety.
Posted by: peter

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 16:30

Quote:
lens gels

This isn't really aimed at you, but I've never worked out why those things are called "lenses". They don't refract light in any significant way and are not shaped at all similarly to a lentil. Why aren't they "colour filters"? Is "lens" a techie theatrical-lighting term for them? (A near-erased memory from deep, deep offline storage tells me the theatrical term is "gobo"...)

Peter
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 16:32

Because lens is easier to say and to grok than "protective transparent plastic cover that doesn't refract."
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 17:02

Oh!
Which blue is VW blue?

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 17:09

Don't think any single one is a perfect fit.. But a combination of one of the blue and one of the more purple ones might do it.

Previously there's been a file circulating on the board with a purplish/blue color that could be printed on transparency.

(managed to locate it on disk - see attachment)
Posted by: genixia

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 17:12

Quote:

Can't say I've noticed

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 17:14

Sanity is highly overrated.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 18:01

Because from the very geeky/nerdish point of view. A flat plate is lens whose curvature is simply zero.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 18:02

Thanks Michael, I had previously tried that filter and found I needed two layers of it to get it close, which was fine at night but during daytime driving the screen was all but invisible.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 18:08

Ditto on that. I'm in for a whole set as well.

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 18:10

Quote:
I needed two layers of it to get it close

Aha... I hadn't tried it myself, so didn't know that... I settled for the plain blue lens.

Now that I've switched to a Peugeot, I can concentrate on getting everything else match the empeg blue (since I totally disliked the original orange stuff...)
Posted by: genixia

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 18:15

Yeah, you're going to have that problem. Incidentally that filter was mine, a modified version of another file that was floating around here.

It sounds like you didn't set your dimmer correctly as you should have been able to get a good nighttime match with the one filter. Either that or your printer was set up correctly and didn't throw enough ink on it. Regardless, daytime visibility suffered too much for my liking, and once I started using GPSapp it became intolerable. The problem is simply that the VFD does not have enough light output at that wavelength.(~430nm). That filter is about as good as you are going to get to match VW Blue.

I went to smoke instead.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 23:12

Waaaaaaaaaaahow, those are cool. Too bad they are so... pretty. I'd have a hard time matching the gross ash mold green of my dash lights. Ha, it's nice to have the empeg give me a good solid green.

I will definately encourage getting them all because you never know what your next car's dashboard color will be.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Lens Gels - 12/07/2004 23:19

You should look into the LED kits you can get for car interiors now to change their illumination colors..

I've emailed all my empeg buddies that don't visit the BBS about this.
Posted by: mlord

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 00:17

Quote:
I've never worked out why those things are called "lenses"

I think the term was first coined on the Empeg mk2 sales web pages..
Posted by: julf

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 03:41

Interested in a couple of sets
Posted by: JonnyGee

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 08:51

Quote:

This isn't really aimed at you, but I've never worked out why those things are called "lenses". They don't refract light in any significant way and are not shaped at all similarly to a lentil. Why aren't they "colour filters"? Is "lens" a techie theatrical-lighting term for them? (A near-erased memory from deep, deep offline storage tells me the theatrical term is "gobo"...)

A gobo is a small piece of metal sheet with a shaped hole cut into it. You insert them at or near the focal point of a profile spotlight and it projects the silhouette of the cutout.

Cheers, John

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 08:54

Hm! I misread the original post, specifically the pricing. If it is just $50 per set, I am interested in a few sets...
Posted by: mlord

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 09:03

Yes, $50 per set was the intended price bracket.

Cheers
Posted by: peakmop

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 13:02

Sign me up for a set please.

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 18:09

Not sure either. Ever since I've been on the board they've been called lenses. The use of the word in the context of the empeg has always brought to mind a lens in safety goggles or similar which is also just a piece of plastic.
Posted by: Tim

Re: Lens Gels - 13/07/2004 20:14

I'm definately interested in a set.

- Tim
Posted by: Gleep

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 00:11

I am always a sucker for Empeg stuff!
Posted by: Skunk

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 15:14

I'm in.
Posted by: russell

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 17:20

If shipping to the UK can be arranged count me in for 1 set.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 19:48

1 set ordered and paid via PayPal.

It took me a while to realise that for the $50 you also get 2 clear lenses - at that price I couldn't not buy some! Not mention the strength of the GBP against the USD ATM

Thanks Mach for the heads-up and Bruce for what looks like an unmissable buy!

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 19:51

Quote:
If shipping to the UK can be arranged count me in for 1 set.

Shipping to Europe is an additional 3.50 USD. Of course, you might want to debate whether the UK is a part of Europe but that's another thread entirely

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 19:54

I think there is a bug in the ordering page. I entered a request for three sets, the page did a quick calculation and populated $150 in the total text box and then cart add button multiplied that $150 total by three yet again for a total of $450...

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 19:57

I think you might want to try ordering 1 set from the Filener site and then edit your quantity in PayPal's shopping cart?

Edit: Sorry, you weren't asking for advice, you were reporting a bug on the website!

Re: Lens Gels - 14/07/2004 19:58

True. That would work. But there is a quantity box on the page...
Posted by: drakino

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 06:17

I'm up for a set as well, looks like a ton of color choices to get it just right. I'll point a few friends who don't check in here ofteh to this thread as well.
Posted by: Major_Sarcasm

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 08:32

Just tried to order a set and the bloody PayPal site is "experiencing technical difficulties with its credit card processing". Bah

I'll try again later!
Posted by: Taym

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 12:42

I'm interested, 100%. Wow, I'm ordering it now.

Actually, does anybody know which red would match Audi's current red?
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 13:47

I have the ordinary red lens that Filener sells, and it matches great!
Posted by: Daria

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 14:08

Quote:

you've been trying to do that with the empegs, too, right?

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 14:10

Who, me???? Nah...

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 14:11

I ordered the set (of course ), so now I'm asking just out of curiosity: how readable is it in daylight? I currently am using a quite good match, but in the day is not very readable...

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 14:32

For me its not too bad, but I have a really dark tint all around. Even then though I still have problems reading it. I don't know if you could match it well, with having good daytime visibility. I do have one red gel I got from Darkstorm, "106 Primary Red." I would go check it out, but my car is in the shop getting some body work done.

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 15:24

Thanks, don't worry about it. I have a Darkstorm red too which I am using now since it's the best compromise I've found so far between readability and color match. I would think it's the one you're mentioning. I have to say that at night the match is almost perfect, while during the day it looks like a different red and, as I said, not very readable. Unreadable under certain light conditions. Now, I know I may be misleaded, but I am starting to think illuminations in my dashboard changes automatically depending on light conditions. There's no such reference in the user manual, but new Audi s (I onw an A3) have a lot of electronics wihich is not even mentioned.
Anyway, I'm now hoping to find an even better compromise in the rainbow set If I don't, I'll be happy to have increased my empeg stuff collection

Re: Lens Gels - 15/07/2004 15:27

If you do get a better compromise be sure to let us know! I have basically given up on reading my empeg's screen during the day. It would be nice when I can't remember exactly how many times I need to hit the right button to get to a particular song.

Re: Lens Gels - 16/07/2004 00:15

Quote:
I'll be happy to have increased my empeg stuff collection

I second that. With my (rather impulsive) order placed, I'm glad to (soon) have another piece of empeg "get 'em before they're gone for good" stuff.
Posted by: Major_Sarcasm

Re: Lens Gels - 16/07/2004 11:13

Yay! Order placed!

Re: Lens Gels - 01/08/2004 21:07

Quote:
If you do get a better compromise be sure to let us know!

I DID!! And it's not a compromise !

This rainbow set it is just fantastic. I can hardly imagine anybody not finding the color he/she needs, since you can overlap the gels to obtain the color you prefer.

1) I did find a better "Audi" red. There are 4 or 5 in the set, and I could also find a better one by overlapping two of them. But, even better

2) I overlapped a very light pink with on a very light blue and obtained a very peculiar purple which, on the green digits of the empeg display, produces an ALMOST PERFECT WHITE! When I say "almost perfect" I mean I "know" it is not (too few chances I get the perfect complementary color to the display green), but I can't see it! I see white!
I am now leaving for my vacation, but on my return I will post a picture because it is hard to believe what a perfect white you can get. Plus, during the day it is the most readable color I've ever had. And during the night it simply seems to be right out of Audi's factory. Really, incredible. I've got around 20 lenses/gels from Empeg, Darkstorm, Filener, plus this rainbow set, and this is by far the best match I've ever had.

3) It was, very simply, fun to try all the gels and all the combinations

4) the transparent lenses are anti-reflective, very nice, but they do blur slightly the digits and therefore I am now using a transparent, plain, reflective lens I had.

Re: Lens Gels - 01/08/2004 21:50

Quote:

4) the transparent lenses are anti-reflective, very nice, but they do blur slightly the digits and therefore I am now using a transparent, plain, reflective lens I had.

Agreed. While this is a marvellous deal I think that the blurriness of the anti-reflective lenses is a big let down. My eyes keep trying to compensate for the apparent "out-of-focus" effect and it tends to make me a little nauseous after a while.

A plain clear lense is definitely the way to go IMO.

To anyone out there who is still waiting to buy these lenses I'd still say "go right ahead" but buy a clear lense while you're at it.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Lens Gels - 01/08/2004 23:41

Can someone point me to the site where I can order these? Thanks! Also Ive noticed people commenting on the clear being "fuzzy" is there a specific lens that isnt fuzzy I could also order? Thanks!
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Lens Gels - 01/08/2004 23:42

Link at the top of the page "Lenses".

http://www.filener.com/empeg/

Re: Lens Gels - 02/08/2004 00:49

Lol sorry had ablonde moment. was looking for a filener link in the thread and didnt even think to check the links at the top time for bed for me. Thanks

Re: Lens Gels - 02/08/2004 04:38

Cool, I haven't seen mine yet. If no one has already, I'll let Phil at Filener know that the AR lenses are problematic. He doesn't have an Empeg to test them so he won't know otherwise.
Posted by: Laserbeam

Re: Lens Gels - 02/08/2004 13:24

I'm now offering the option of anti-reflective or plain clear with the rainbows (or one of each). Anyone who has received the anti-reflective and isn't happy with it can contact me and I'll send them a plain clear lens at no charge.
-phil howard
Posted by: Laserbeam

Re: Lens Gels - 02/08/2004 13:47

Quote:
I think there is a bug in the ordering page. I entered a request for three sets, the page did a quick calculation and populated $150 in the total text box and then cart add button multiplied that $150 total by three yet again for a total of $450...

Web site problem fix. Hope I didn't break anything else....
Posted by: Derek

Re: Lens Gels - 02/08/2004 15:19

The first MK2s came out with lenses that didn't have an AR coating. When the AR lenses came out I got one, but it also causes slight bluriness. Although the AR lens isn't bad, I prefer the original one, smooth/reflecting one. It's a compromise you make, I'm pretty sure all AR coatings will cause at least a little bluriness.

Re: Lens Gels - 03/08/2004 16:32

Seems like the comparison between LCD and CRT monitors. LCD (clear lense) is sharp but sometimes too sharp. While CRT (AR lense) blurs everything together creating the impression of curves, but maybe too blurry.

The reflections shown on my Darkstorm lenses because of their smooth finish tend to be more obstructing than ambient or direct sunlight. I am excited to try Filener's anti-reflective coating, though it may blur. Soon, soon.

Re: Lens Gels - 10/08/2004 20:31

I just have to say, I ordered the rainbow kit and he was "FAST". He had the order processed and out the same day. Even emailed me and let me know. He was very quick with my email questions about getting barb wire border on them as well as the 2 differnt clear lenses. Was very nice having such great service.

Re: Lens Gels - 02/09/2004 22:50

Ok, I'm finally back. Now I just have to take a picture of my white empeg, at night, to show you how good it is. After driving for 4500 Km with it, I'm still enthusiastic about it. Thos interested, please excuse me for the delay. I'll do my best to post the picture soon.

Re: Lens Gels: WHITE! - 03/09/2004 22:39

There you go...

Re: Lens Gels: WHITE! - 03/09/2004 22:41

Closer:

Actually, I can see in the picture a little difference between the instrumentation white and the empeg white. That is not noticeable in "real life".

Re: Lens Gels: WHITE! - 04/09/2004 03:55

That looks sweet! My car's dash is illuminated only in red, no white. But very nice! Plus readable in daylight is very good.