<Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer>

Posted by: tfabris

<Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 27/09/2004 19:04

Very gorgeous. Thank you, Mark. The craftsmanship is impeccable.
Posted by: Daria

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 27/09/2004 19:12

**jealous**
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 27/09/2004 22:26

Pictures?

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 27/09/2004 22:42

Perhaps after I get things installed in their final locations. Right now I'm swapping docks around.
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 28/09/2004 13:56

I completely agree, VERY nice! I love mine!

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 28/09/2004 15:02

I messed with it a bit last night, and I wanted to say that Mark thinks of everything with these docks. Some things I noticed about the construction:

- Cooling fan has an adjustment potentiometer.

- Cooling fan is mounted slightly loose so that it doesn't transfer low-frequency vibration noise to the casing. The thing is nearly silent as-shipped. Impressive.

- Felt stick-on "feet" included, but not attached. This allowed me to choose my own favorite rubber feet instead with zero hassle.

Incidentally, I was afraid it wouldn't be heavy enough to handle one-handed extractions/insertions, but with the sticky rubber feet I'm using, it seems to do just fine.

I did have one thing that I changed on it so far, though. Serial upgrades and flashes don't work because the power-on upgrade-listen doesn't happen without the physical switch on the AC jack being tripped. So I glued an unwired 2.1mm jack into the back of the dock and now serial upgrades work, too.

The wood is gorgeous and it matches the wood I've got in my home-office absolutely perfectly. I'm very happy with it.
Posted by: mlord

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 29/09/2004 02:19

I think I did stick the felt footpads onto one of the cherry docks (had to see what the final assembly looked like), but that one didn't go to Tony (not sure who got that one, but it is every bit as nice as the other three).

I hope everyone is happy with their docks!

Cheers
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 29/09/2004 10:17

Mine came with the felt feet but they werent attached. I put them on tho. I am EXTREMLY Happy with my dock. I havent actually used it yet other then sliding my player in it and leaving it. Had too much going on when I get home. Thank you Mark for allowing me the opportunity to buy it!

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 30/09/2004 02:43

Quote:
Pictures?

Okay, here you go.

Posted by: genixia

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 30/09/2004 09:48

That is sweet!
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 30/09/2004 10:22

Gotta love the old Timex clock sitting beside the high tech empeg.
Posted by: frog51

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 30/09/2004 10:29

I really like the way Tony has picked his windowsill to match the dock

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 01/10/2004 02:52

Quote:
Gotta love the old Timex clock

You totally beat me to it. Actually, I was hoping it was a Wesclox.

Yummy, and green buttons too. Very nice Tony; good work Mark.
Posted by: JayF

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 02/10/2004 20:36

the MDF sides look almost as dark as the cherry wood. What was used on the MDF?

Looks 2 sweet. Wanna sell?

HAHA
Posted by: mlord

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 02/10/2004 21:33

Quote:
What was used on the MDF?

The entire dock was sprayed with multiple coats of Blonde shellac that I mixed up here specially for this job. That's it. The finish is almost clear, with a slight yellow tint to it. It is a surface finish, and has the effect of smoothing and deepening the colour of the underlying materials. Not so much on the cherry as on the MDF in this case, with good overall results.

Usually darker shellac is prescribed for darker woods (cherry is moderate dark), but I liked the look of my trial piece, and ran with it.

Cheers

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 03/10/2004 00:07

Hm, I wonder how an empeg would look in the cherry dock if it had a wooden face like Paul's in the link. Maybe a cherry face... and handle... ... and buttons! Aw hell, put a cherry lense on there to finish the experience!

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 03/10/2004 04:48

Quote:
Usually darker shellac is prescribed for darker woods (cherry is moderate dark), but I liked the look of my trial piece, and ran with it.

I'm glad you did, it so perfectly fits the wood colors in my office (as is seen in the photo) that it's almost as if it were deliberately matched. Thanks again.
Posted by: Taym

Re: <Homer> Mmmmm, cherry... </Homer> - 03/10/2004 22:23

It looks gorgeous. Congratulation Tony, and congratulations Mark for such a masterpiece among the empeg docks