"Carputer" software projects?

Posted by: jbrinkerhoff

"Carputer" software projects? - 04/04/2005 17:51

Just wondering if anyone knows of any opensource/free/shareware/inexpensive "carputer" software packages. Something like "mythtv" for a carputer. Was thinking GPS, navagation, DVD playback, etc. with a touchscreen interface.

Reason I ask is, right now I have the possibility of adding a 7" touchscreen to my dash, and using the empeg as the "main stereo". Im also thinking ahead, to a sad time when the empeg may die. Or to a car where I just cannot fit it anymore...

Jeff
Posted by: robricc

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 04/04/2005 18:04

Quote:
Or to a car where I just cannot fit it anymore...

Because the empeg takes up so much more space than a 7" screen and seperate computer.

I'm not being a jerk. That just amused me for a second.
Posted by: Jemmi

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 05/04/2005 11:24

There are many... Frodoplayer is what I use and there are others. Go to www.mp3car.com

And as an aside I have my Empeg as well as a computer with 7" touchscreen. Screen hides away in dash if needed and Empeg is connected to computer using Empegface to display the screen as it is under my touchscreen and I cannot see it... steering wheel remote still works so I made a modified skin with no controls and sized it so it fits into a skin I use for Frodoplayer (although he told me with the newer version not yet released I should be able to display portions of the interface via something like Charcoalgray or Cushman pages). I've been meaning to take pictures... is kind of cool to have GPS and DVD as well as XM with touch control and then use the Empeg as master volume control via line in from the computer
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 05/04/2005 13:35

That sounds pretty cool, actually. Please do post pics when you get them.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 05/04/2005 15:37

<brief thread hijack> Happy Birthday l0ser! </hijack>
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 05/04/2005 20:04

heh. thanks
Posted by: mrfixit

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 06/04/2005 02:10

Umm... you mean like this (scroll to the bottom)its a program called media car.
Posted by: Jemmi

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 06/04/2005 20:54

Mediacar is not in current development and support hasn't been available in close to a year - along with no software updates
Posted by: belezeebub

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 07/04/2005 12:20

check out www.mp3car.com
Posted by: peakmop

Re: "Carputer" software projects? - 09/04/2005 00:36

Too bad Linux is not one of their O/S option