Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006

Posted by: rob

Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 03/04/2006 14:13

Rob & Rob Empeg Events Corp are proud to announce the Seventh Annual Empeg International Owners Meet. This year the event will take place in Cambridge UK, birthplace of the empeg player.

Teaser Itinerary

Friday Evening - Piss Up in a Brewery (because we can)

Saturday - Competitions, toys, more things that go whoosh
Saturday Evening - Grand Empeg Party

Sunday - Messing About on the River

Monday - Big Breakfast (trademarks acknowledged)

Details and booking form will be released on April 15th at 2pm BST, places restricted so get ready!
Posted by: robricc

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 14:53

Quote:
Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006

These dates are set in stone? If so, I will book my flight today.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 15:04

Is RobS okay?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 15:12

Quote:
Is RobS okay?

Yes, RobS is the first Rob in Rob & Rob Empeg Events Corp!

He has been working on the September date for a while as it looks like allowing the greatest number of owners to attend. It became clear that something firm had to be posted now.

Rob R, I would hesitate to say that the dates are absolutely firm until we post full details on the 15th. However we'll know for sure here within the next couple of days, so we'll email you as soon as our hotel block booking has been accepted.

Rob (2)
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 15:13

I'm here, don't worry. Been a bit busy in the run up to a big product release for the Messe show in Frankfurt (have a look at Rob's posting elsewhere).

Should be able to spend more time now on spares, repairs and - Empeg meets!

Hope you'll all be there - this one looks to be the best one ever

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 18:40

Already, Patrick has committed to producing something very interesting for the meet. It involves rapid consumption of large amounts of combustibles, is bigger than anything you have seen before, and is attached - wait for it - to a bicycle.

I want you all to think very carefully about personal insurance (including death by immolation) before signing up for the "Death Ride" list.

Ooops! There I go again, letting the cat out of the bag. Hand, meet head. (Loud sound of flesh-on-flesh dope-slap encounter)

Sorry! I promise I won't reveal any more secrets about what has been lined up for the event, including the UAV.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 19:09

Oh Darn! I'm sorry. I did promise not to reveal any details about the special (Censored), either. Whoops! There I go again. Shame, I've spoilt all the surprise now. Bummer!
Posted by: mlord

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 20:01

Quote:

Rob R, I would hesitate to say that the dates are absolutely firm until we post full details on the 15th. However we'll know for sure here within the next couple of days, so we'll email you as soon as our hotel block booking has been accepted.

It's possible that SWMBO & I can (just barely) make those dates (airfare gets a LOT cheaper after midnight 31-August). We'll see once the date firms up.

Cheers
Posted by: StigOE

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 03/04/2006 21:31

Whoopy! Then I'll be able to attend! Unless work f***s up my plans again...

Stig
Posted by: julf

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 17:31

Arrrghh, would have been nice to have *some* indication the date was changing

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 17:39

Quote:

Especially before I booked tickets and accommodation to the Goodwood Revival event, and had Wayne shift his work shedule around to be able to bring the Pinkie to Cambridge for July 28...
Posted by: altman

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 19:20

Well, we can always have a mini-meet in Cambridge on the 28th... ok, so Patrick may not be there to blow things up, but there's no reason there can't be a barbie & beer nonetheless

Goodwood revival looks excellent, never made it to any of the Goodwood events though

Hugo
Posted by: sn00p

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 19:30

Quote:
Well, we can always have a mini-meet in Cambridge on the 28th... ok, so Patrick may not be there to blow things up, but there's no reason there can't be a barbie & beer nonetheless

Goodwood revival looks excellent, never made it to any of the Goodwood events though

Hugo

I'm up for a mini-meet, the weather will probably be better at the end of july anyway!

Last time I met you Hugo was at the serial port stand at an Acorn show in 91 or something!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 19:50

Ooo-err, that *was* a long time ago!

Any show of hands for a mini-meet at the end of July? Note this is not an alternative to the big meet (go there too!), this is more likely to be one day & evening of geeking, beer and undercooked meat plus a BLD's the next morning, not a big event[1].

No competitions, but every chance of walking away with some junk from my loft/the empeg cupboard, both of which are being sprung clean in the next month or three[2]. Ideal for those of you who fancy a knackered Dell Receiver to soothe your hangover the day after.

(show of hands attached, if I can work this out)

Hugo

[1] Not worth flying to unless the flight is *really* cheap. Think easyjet at their best.
[2] In fact, taking some junk away could possibly be made compulsory. EC rules mean it's getting hard to bin this stuff

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 20:37

Quote:

A date has never been fixed until now..

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 04/04/2006 22:04

Quote:

Still waiting here for a confirmed fixed date..

Cheers
Posted by: andym

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 05:16

I'd be up for a mini-meet in July, I'm going to have a fair bit of comp leave to use up this year!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:20

Quote:

Yes, very much (and painfully) aware of that, but there was a rather strong hint pointing at the last weekend of July. And some of us had to start making commitments.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:27

Quote:

From what I keep hearing, you'd better go soon before it turns into to much of a Disneyland.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:28

Quote:
Well, we can always have a mini-meet in Cambridge on the 28th...

Pretty sure I can make one or the other, but not both.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:36

Sorry if I helped this confusion along; in the other thread I picked up on Rob's last comment about the last weekend in july looking the most likely and suggested it.

I wasn't aware (and netiher was anyone else on the BBS, as he'd not posted anything else) that he'd been thinking of September - I may well not be able to make the September meet myself, as that's factory production start time and commiting to dates is tricky!

Hence the suggestion of a mini-meet (really, this is just extending my usual summer BBQ, tequila jelly & all, to a larger audience). The BBQ on 29th July will happen either way, the poll was just to see if I needed to prepare a bit more/buy more food/work out directions for people visiting, or whether I just warn the usual suspects that there's beer going down round my gaff. Given that everyone is quite social, a summer barbie seems like an excellent idea...

Hugo

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:42

Quote:
Yes, very much (and painfully) aware of that, but there was a rather strong hint pointing at the last weekend of July. And some of us had to start making commitments.

It sounds like there are going to be two meets now, although I'm confused as when we called Hugo yesterday he couldn't commit to definitely being available on July 30th (and without him, Sigmatels offices are not going to be accessible). Coupled with most of the US owners saying they couldn't make it over before September, and the less than ideal nature of Sigmatel as a meeting venue for fifty to sixty people, we went with the weekend of Sept 2nd and the intention of using a more integrated venue in a nicer area.

I rather regret getting involved now!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 13:57

Yesterday:
Quote:
Well, we can always have a mini-meet in Cambridge on the 28th...

Today:
Quote:
The BBQ on 29th July will happen either way

Which is it?

PS- This does not necessarily indicate I will be attending the mini-meet.
Posted by: oliver

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 14:07

D'oh, I'll be leaving the UK on the 20th of July. I guess it doesn't make too much sence to extend my return ticket, would it?

I was really hoping I'd get lucky and have the meet happen while I was already across the pond.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 17:35

Errr, pardon? I said I couldn't commit to August/September, not July (hence the original July suggestion in the other thread!). I've no idea where you got the idea that I couldn't do july from!

As I said, end of july is a mini meet, it's not the "international annual empeg meet". There won't be t-shirts, for starters

Last year, at the end of the meet, the discussion had been around taking some of the organisation load off Rob S, as it's a big job, and few empeggers had been able to help out in advance given the distance & language barriers.

With the meet in Cambridge itself, it's much easier to split it as suggested - eg, I could do the bbq, Rob V mentioned doing a punting picnic, various empeggers could help with the prettification of the office/car park for the meet, sorting out t-shirts from local suppliers, etc. It'd be nice to let Rob S have a bit of a rest from having to organise everything (from the piss up in the brewery onwards!) and hence keep more of his hair than usual.

Hugo

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 05/04/2006 17:37

Sorry, calendar malfunction. Saturday is the 29th, not the 28th

It'd be great to see you Rob, and though my tequila jelly *is* widely appreciated, NOBODY should have to sit on a plane for 20 hours just to appreciate it

Hugo

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 16:10

Quote:
I rather regret getting involved now!

The curse of volunteers.

And just to make it clear - I might have sounded a bit upset and annoyed, but the annoyance was not directed at any of the people spending their time and energy organizing this, but rather at the prospect of me not being able to make it!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 16:17

Quote:
And just to make it clear - I might have sounded a bit upset and annoyed, but the annoyance was not directed at any of the people spending their time and energy organizing this, but rather at the prospect of me not being able to make it!

That's OK, it's going to be the biggest party yet so I hope you do make it.

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 16:42

Quote:
That's OK, it's going to be the biggest party yet so I hope you do make it.

Looks like I will be able to rearrange things for September, and hopefully will be able to flog Goodwood tickets, but that probably means the end-of-july bbq is out. :-/
Posted by: Cris

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 18:17

Hmmmmm, let me see........

So I get to drink lots of beer.....add to the junk pile at home.....hang out with some people that make me feel quite normal and totally not geeky (I am the uber geek amongst my friends, but nothing compared to the average empegger at even a mini meet ).....and probably get a week off work after, recovering from food poisoning !!!!

AND THEN.....Do it all again a few months later.......count me in for both

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 19:52

So, do we now have fixed dates for the Empeg Owners Meet? If so, when ?

Thanks

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 06/04/2006 20:21

Quote:
Details and booking form will be released on April 15th at 2pm BST

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 1st - 4th 2006 - 07/04/2006 06:03

Quote:
So, do we now have fixed dates for the Empeg Owners Meet? If so, when ?

We haven't got confirmation from one of the venues so I don't want to encourage anyone to buy airline tickets until our plan is solidified.

I'll email the US folks that I know would like to move quickly as soon as we know. Otherwise, as Rob says, the announcement will be on the 15th.

Rob

Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 07/04/2006 17:02

What a GREAT place we have for the meet! Unbelievable!

You are just gonna love this. I really shouldn't pass out any more details.

But dammit, why not? (Edit by Rob V: Oh no you don't, matey!) . It's great! The venue is (Censored), the world-famous home of (Censored), (Censored), and of course the unbelievable (Censored). We will be able to (Censored) (Censored) (Censored), and then there is the possibility to (Censored) which everyone with an interest in (Censored) cannot fail to appreciate. Of course, there are also the (Censored) and the (Censored), which will all be part of the event! Great!!

Oh, I'm so excited I could (Censored).

Re: Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 07/04/2006 17:04

Aw Rob, you're spoiling all the fun! Can't I even tell 'em about the (Censored)?

(Edit by Rob V: Nope.)

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 08/04/2006 07:43

DATE UPDATE

Folks, we promise this will be the last change, but the opportunity of a great venue came up at the last minute for the weekend of September 15th - 18th. The main meet itself will take place on the 16th and it'll be something pretty special I think! We have a great itinerary of events planned starting Friday evening so if you can make the long weekend it'll be more than worthwhile!

We already booked the venue and we're going there on Tuesday to pay a deposit. So, those wishing to book flights before the official announcement next Saturday can do so with reasonable security now, or with total security after Tuesday. Hopefully the slightly later dates will make it easier for our US owners to get a good air fare.

Hope to see you all there!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 08/04/2006 10:22

Oh crap! That ended my chance of participating...

Stig

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 08/04/2006 10:42

Quote:
Hopefully the slightly later dates will make it easier for our US owners to get a good air fare
It should help us Canadians as well!

Cheers

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 09/04/2006 08:08

(drops head into hands) Oh bog. Why?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 09/04/2006 09:22

Same as July, work. I leave for work that week... But I'm starting to get used to this by now...

Stig

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 09/04/2006 13:20

September 15th - 18th should work for me, now let's see if I can get the Pinkie logistics worked out!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 01:12

Quote:
with total security after Tuesday.

It is now after Tuesday (in the UK, at least). Is it safe for us to purchase airfare for this now?

Cheers

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 10:49

Quote:
It is now after Tuesday (in the UK, at least). Is it safe for us to purchase airfare for this now?

Oh yes

Rob
Posted by: boxer

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 11:39

Damn, I'm in Majorca: Too complicated to alter.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 16:37

Quote:

What a choice - a sunny, dry place with a beach, or a bunch of geeks in Cambridge

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 17:37

Quote:

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! You're the only reason SWMBO said she'd attend!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 18:28

Quote:

Damn, this one would have been right up your street :-(

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 18:37

Come on boxer old chum, it's got to be worth it

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 18:42

Quote:

Ditto! It won't be the same without you and Mrs. Boxer there.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 18:54

Will you be around on the 29th July though? It's a good alternative fix if you can't make the real meet...

Hugo
Posted by: sn00p

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/04/2006 19:43

Oh B**ger! I've been invited to an event that weekend.

Looks like my first chance to meet some fellow empeggers will be the official event in september, I was looking forward to some carbon in a bun too!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 13/04/2006 05:23

Quote:
What a choice - a sunny, dry place with a beach, or a bunch of geeks in Cambridge

But that's the great attraction, I meet a type of person I'd never normally meet, but whose company I greatly enjoy. After all, the people who I do normally meet, consider me to be a geek!

Quote:

You can assume that I'll be doing my very best, but being in the doghouse for mucking up our holidays once this year, I think I'll wait to see what (censored)(censored) and a few of the other (censored)'s are, before broaching the subject!

Quote:
Will you be around on the 29th July though?

I'd normally be track laying on Snowdonia that weekend, but I'll try and aim for the full monty in September, before trying to swap track laying parties.

I aim to do one or the other, but probably not both.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 13/04/2006 06:11

Quote:
You can assume that I'll be doing my very best, but being in the doghouse for mucking up our holidays once this year, I think I'll wait to see what (censored)(censored) and a few of the other (censored)'s are, before broaching the subject!

I'm working on the announcement now - details will be up on Saturday midday.

Regards

Rob
Posted by: bmihulka

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/04/2006 12:36

I'm going to book my $87 ticket today.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/04/2006 12:56

Quote:
I'm going to book my $87 ticket today.

$87 from the US??

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/04/2006 13:59

I just booked my ticket for $102 (and 100,000 miles).

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/04/2006 14:23

Oh yeah, plus 100,000 Miles.

Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 10:02

Rob S and Rob V are proud to announce details of the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe!

Please visit the meet home page at:

http://www.empeg.com/europe2006/

The polls referred to at the site will be posted to this thread a little later this afternoon.

Enjoy!

Rob

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 11:30

OK, so I assume the runway at Duxford can take a herc, so that the chinook is not needed?

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 11:32

I may well be the only person on this site who has already flown in a Dragon Rapide: It's like an aerial massage machine, but one of the best looking 'planes of all time.

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 11:40

Well, I mentioned the Rapide to Wayne, and he said, in his casual, low-key North Yorkshire way, "ahh yes, my uncle flew it down to Duxford from Scotland. As the pilot".

Attendee's Poll - 15/04/2006 12:09

If you're planning to attend the meet this year (whether a definite or a probable) please complete the following questionaire:

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 13:05

.....apart from which, great works the Robs': what a weekend, I'm going to have to do some bowing and scraping now to see if I can get there!

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 15:17

Quote:
OK, so I assume the runway at Duxford can take a herc, so that the chinook is not needed?

Well not *needed* as such, but I mean, it never hurts to have one handy, right?

Rob

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 17:26

Quote:
Well not *needed* as such, but I mean, it never hurts to have one handy, right?

Point taken, but as it looks like the RAF flyboys will still be pretty busy down Bagdad way, we wouldn't want them just hanging around idle, would we?

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 15/04/2006 17:37

Holy crap! Rob and Rob really seem to have outdone themselves! I can't wait!
Posted by: andy

Locations and maps - 15/04/2006 20:22

I thought it might be useful for people who didn't know the area to have a map of the various locations. So I knocked up a "quick" Google Maps page with the locations from the iternary on it. It also has the distances (as the proverbial crow flies) from the hotel, as calculated by Google.

Empeg European Owners Meet 2006, locations

If anyone has any other locations that should go on the map, PM me the description and postcode (or preferably the latitude and longitude).

P.S. if anyone is thinking of messing about with Google Map's API for the first time, leave yourself some time. My "quick" page took several hours of messing about to get right.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Locations and maps - 15/04/2006 23:42

Rob and Rob Corp.: This sounds like quite a meet! Good work pulling everything together so far.

RobR and Brian: $100 airfare? I'm seeing $500 on Continental out of Newark dpt 9/10/06, ret 9/25/06. Guess I'll have to keep digging.

Andy: Thanks for the map. That will come very much in handy.

everyone: See you in September!
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 00:16

I love the google maps api.

http://l0ser.net/h/

I built that for when I went to Hawaii last October. I updated it via cellphone. As I was short for time while developing it (plane was leaving soon) I convinced ricin to write something that would grab my images from emails. I've since written a better method of doing that, as our code didn't like each other and now many of the images don't show up on the proper points or don't show up at all. It was cooler to watch the daily progress than it is to look at it now, but it was a fun project. All images are viewable at http://l0ser.net/h/images/

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 00:18

Quote:
RobR and Brian: $100 airfare? I'm seeing $500 on Continental out of Newark dpt 9/10/06, ret 9/25/06. Guess I'll have to keep digging.

It's only that cheap because it's some sort of tax for using points exclusively to buy tickets. I paid for the tickets entirely with OnePass miles (Continental). The $100 charge is just some sort of scummy way getting cash out of you.

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 04:39

Quote:
I thought it might be useful for people who didn't know the area to have a map of the various locations. So I knocked up a "quick" Google Maps page with the locations from the iternary on it. It also has the distances (as the proverbial crow flies) from the hotel, as calculated by Google.

Nice work! Can I link this from the meet web site?

You can add the grand party at 52deg18'41" North, 0deg3'10" East unless I move between now and September!

Rob

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 05:52

Quote:

Nice work! Can I link this from the meet web site?

Absolutely.
Posted by: peter

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 07:56

Quote:
Empeg European Owners Meet 2006, locations

If anyone has any other locations that should go on the map, PM me the description and postcode (or preferably the latitude and longitude).

Very cool, but if we're going to Grantchester won't it be the other Scudamore's? IIRC Scudamore's don't let you take punts over the rollers.

Peter
Posted by: burnswannabe

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 08:55

Hi guys,

I'm afraid to say i'm a bit of a lurker on the site but i'm hoping to be able to attend potentially both the main meet and the mini. I don't really know anyone here (somehow missed the empeg until recently) but it would be nice to chat/drink with some fellow geeks who get excited about the same stuff I do. I got a lot of time for anyone willing to organise something like this as it is so hard to try and please everyone but it looks like it'll be an awesome weekend and the grantchester punt run is a cambridge tradition that should just not be missed. Just thought I'd say hi.

Ross

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 09:07

Quote:

Very cool, but if we're going to Grantchester won't it be the other Scudamore's? IIRC Scudamore's don't let you take punts over the rollers.

Ah, I did try and get the right place. I used the post code from the location they gave on their website for Granchester punts. If I had actually looked on the satellite view it would have been obvious to me that it was a couple of hundred metres out

Fixed now.
Posted by: sein

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 10:32

Quote:
...I don't really know anyone here ... but it would be nice to chat/drink with some fellow geeks who get excited about the same stuff I do...

Hey Ross. Yeah, I've not ever met another Empeg owner either! It will be good to see you in a few months.

Re: Locations and maps - 16/04/2006 11:19

Quote:
...I don't really know anyone here ... but it would be nice to chat/drink with some fellow geeks who get excited about the same stuff I do...

Hey Ross. Yeah, I've not ever met another Empeg owner either! It will be good to see you in a few months.

you're not going to ever find a much easier mob to get on with, I think it took about 20 minutes, 4 years ago - and the great thing is being able to put so many names to faces, I just hope that I can make it!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 17/04/2006 20:31

Quote:
Quote:

Oh yes

Rob

Flights now booked. SWMBO and I will both be at the meet.

We'll probably visit Oxford earlier in the week, and move up to Cambridge on the Friday. After that, we have a few weeks to go exploring other parts of the home island. Anyone want visitors?

Cheers
Posted by: frog51

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 18/04/2006 10:54

If you fancy a visit to Europe's biggest indoor climbing wall you'll be welcome up north of the border

(I know it isn't a mountain, but it's fun and the restaurant is good too)

EDIT - looks like I can make it to the Cambridge meet - yay!
Posted by: furtive

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 18/04/2006 14:11

I'll be a the meet, babysitter permitting.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 20/04/2006 14:47

Quote:

So any idea if there are any silly regulations against kayaks on the river?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 20/04/2006 16:49

Quote:

Not as far as I know.. I believe Dave is intending to bring his..

They can't be as much fun as trying not to fall off the back of a punt though!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 20/04/2006 16:50

Quote:
Quote:

Don't think so:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cucanoe/test/coaching/venues.php
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/cam.htm

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 21/04/2006 06:46

Excellent! Will definitely bring one of the Kleppers.

I loved the warning "incompetent people in punts after mid-morning"...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 21/04/2006 21:10

Ahh - you do need to be a little cautious of the electric eels: they escaped from the flooded Rutherford labs in '83 after being irradiated there during the big flood. I would advise caution.

We will be taking a resucitation and defibrillation kit along with us as a precaution, so don't worry *too* much though.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 21/04/2006 21:26

What do you need a defibrillator for when you have electric eels to shock people back to life?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 25/04/2006 17:54

I'm in, with some complication, we've moved our Majorca holiday, so Mrs. boxer, the Boxette and I will all be in attendance, I've just ticked all the appropriate boxes.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 25/04/2006 18:24

Great news!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 25/04/2006 18:29

Yaaayyy!!! Good man. You have a patient wife, sir.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 25/04/2006 18:35

Quote:
I'm in, with some complication, we've moved our Majorca holiday, so Mrs. boxer, the Boxette and I will all be in attendance, I've just ticked all the appropriate boxes.

Woo Hoo!!!!!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 25/04/2006 18:46

And there was much rejoicing.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 06:34

Excellent!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 06:57

Want a ride from Leeds in a Pink Panther?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 12:25

Good grief! I've just talked the family into re-arranging the holiday(again), I don't want to add travelling halfway down the Country in a pink bone shaker, with a canoe and an affable Finn for company!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 13:27

Quote:

Well done!

Now, folks, if you haven't filled in the survey yet and you think it probably you'll be at the meet, please fill it in right away! Also fill in the hotel survey in the other sticky thread.

Right now we don't have enough hotel rooms to get the group rate and even though I know empeg meet attendance traditionally fills out in the last few weeks, I'm nervous about personally signing a contract with Holiday Inn for thirty rooms!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 16:03

Quote:
Want a ride from Leeds in a Pink Panther?

How about one of the world's weirdest convoys? 2 Smarts, Pinkie and what ever car Gadfrey decides to use on the day

It would make quite a sight on the way down the M1!

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 26/04/2006 16:52

Quote:
How about one of the world's weirdest convoys?

Where I'm working at the moment, I'm just in a position to lay my hands on a Beyer Garrett 2-6-0 - 0-6-2 from South African Railways.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 08:40

Quote:
Where I'm working at the moment, I'm just in a position to lay my hands on a Beyer Garrett 2-6-0 - 0-6-2 from South African Railways.

Cool! But I am sure people would not be too happy to see one of those heading down the M1...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 08:42

Quote:
How about one of the world's weirdest convoys? 2 Smarts, Pinkie and what ever car Gadfrey decides to use on the day

OK, let's see if I can add one or two additional interesting vehicles to the convoy...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 08:43

Quote:
Good grief! I've just talked the family into re-arranging the holiday(again), I don't want to add travelling halfway down the Country in a pink bone shaker, with a canoe and an affable Finn for company!

Hmm... Strange. That's almost precisely what Elaine said, too...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 10:37

Quote:
That's almost precisely what Elaine said

Elaine's most welcome to come with us in, what I hope will be, climate controlled luxury: We're looking at a replacement for our sandwich van* at the moment. Unfortunately, It won't be Empeg equipped.

*the disparaging name that the female side of the Boxer entourage give to the vehicle which we purchased for all the right reasons.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 12:30

Quote:
Elaine's most welcome to come with us in, what I hope will be, climate controlled luxury

Thanks, appreciate the offer! Still remains to be seen if I can convince Elaine to join us...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 27/04/2006 20:10

Quote:
Still remains to be seen if I can convince Elaine to join us...

I am sure if we can sway boxer, we can sway Elaine too

What would tempt her? Gossip, scandal, potential food fight?

Cheers

Cris.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/04/2006 06:52

Quote:
What would tempt her? Gossip, scandal, potential food fight?

Elaine's response: "Hmm, tell me more!?!"
Posted by: jcm

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 05/05/2006 12:03

We meet again Mark! This time I've got the maple tea here with me...

I've just confirmed that I'll be coming along and crashing with Hussein (insein), so that's cool. This is literally a few weeks before I move to the US - but I'm totally up for random stuff, climbing or hiking expeditions, etc.

Hopefully see ya in Ottawa, for OLS for a change! :P

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 05/05/2006 14:06

Quote:

We meet again Mark! This time I've got the maple tea here with me...

And there's still (for now) one bottle of the maple wine in our cellar..

Quote:

Hopefully see ya in Ottawa, for OLS for a change! :P

Mmm.. maybe, as usual. I almost signed up for the storage summit in Vancouver this month (courtesy of a BIG client), but I just cannot afford the four days away from work here.

Cheers

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 06/05/2006 14:16

The 2006 Meet Website is utterly amazing. Great job on it, guys!

Cheers
Posted by: frog51

Re: Announcing the 2006 Empeg Owners Meet in Europe - 27/05/2006 07:54

Got my room booked - Claire and I will be there. Yay!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 28/06/2006 15:02

A quick update..

Duxford has been booked and a deposit paid, the brewery has been booked although we're looking into the possibility of going on to a less industrial venue before or afterwards, and I'm moving to a house with a much larger garden to accommodate the Saturday night party

I hope to get booking forms online within the next two weeks.

Rob
Posted by: speedy67

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 28/06/2006 18:55

I booked a room for Sven (smu) and me and my flight is booked, too.
Hope to see as many empeggers as possible...

cheers,
Thomas

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 28/06/2006 19:10

Quote:
I'm moving to a house with a much larger garden to accommodate the Saturday night party

Very thoughtful of you, Rob! I suppose the new digs might even be handy after the meet, too!

-ml

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 11:46

Quote:
Very thoughtful of you, Rob! I suppose the new digs might even be handy after the meet, too!

I haven't thought that far ahead!

However I have considered that camping space will be available for anyone not staying at the Holiday Inn but needing somewhere to crash after the party. The house is conveniently located 1 minute from Foxton railway station.

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 12:01

Quote:
I booked a room for Sven (smu) and me and my flight is booked, too.
Hope to see as many empeggers as possible...

Rob S mentioned that the record was 53 at Amersfoort 2004 - I think we're in with a chance of beating that this year!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 12:50

Quote:

The house is conveniently located 1 minute from Foxton railway station.

Do you have a lat/long for this new house so that I can update the map?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 14:46

Quote:
Do you have a lat/long for this new house so that I can update the map?

Approximately Lat: 52:07:14N Lon: 0:03:28E

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 17:47

The map has been updated, so we can all spy on Rob's new backgarden...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 29/06/2006 20:00

Quote:
The map has been updated, so we can all spy on Rob's new backgarden...

You can come round and mow it as well if you like!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 30/06/2006 03:40

Quote:

You can come round and mow it as well if you like!

Only if you have a sit-on mower that we can play with
Posted by: Mach

Re: Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 04/07/2006 10:51

Well its farewell London and back to Houston. You guys are going to have to continue the fine tradition without me this year. A re-location personal best though, 7 months (with less than 50% in country).

On the plus side, I'll finally be able to install the empeg in the mustang.

Re: Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 04/07/2006 11:56

What happened? Did you get a promotion or something?

SWMBO & I were looking forward to seeing you in Cambridge this year. You'll be missed there!

Cheers
Posted by: Mach

Re: Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 04/07/2006 18:38

Yah, get to be a pointy haired type for awhile. It was supposed to happen a few months back but didn't. I figured I was in the clear for the mini and main meets. I'm going to miss seeing you guys too, make sure you take lots of photos for us absent geeks.:)

Re: Ooo! Ooo! OOO! - 08/07/2006 22:55

Sorry we won't see you but congrats on the promotion. You really are quite the globe trotter!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/07/2006 19:16

Sept 15th-18th, you say? Hm.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 14/07/2006 20:06

Come on, Tony.. you *can* make it over then!

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 15/07/2006 11:54

Quote:

You really should be there - I'm devising a competition category you would have a better than passing chance of winning!

Rob

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 15/07/2006 11:58

Quote:
Quote:

You really should be there - I'm devising a competition category you would have a better than passing chance of winning!

Heh.. "From the FAQ Competition!"

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 15/07/2006 16:38

Tony's mother's maiden name competition.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 05/08/2006 10:13

Will there be a bring-and-buy thing this year?

I know that I've promised Julf my old Athlon T900 board, RAM, etc., but while going through the attic, I've found a bunch of other bits that I don't need, that aren't worth putting on eBay, but probably still work, and I'd rather not throw them away if someone could make use of them.

For instance:
  • Linksys USB100TX USB/Ethernet adapter (suitable for, e.g., a Rio Central)
  • Linksys WET11 Wireless Ethernet Bridge.
  • Highpoint RocketRAID 404 (PATA)
  • Adaptec 19160 SCSI card
  • Plextor PX-40TSi CD Writer (SCSI)
  • Yamaha CRW4416S CD Writer (SCSI)
  • PCI angle bracket riser for a Shuttle SV25
  • 2x HPNA network cards (originally came with my Rio Receivers).
  • IBM UltraStar 18Gb SCSI disk.
  • PS/2 to AT keyboard adapter (plug a PS/2 keyboard into an old AT motherboard).
  • USB 2.0 PCI card with 3.5" drive bay hub.
  • Soundblaster Live! (CT4830)
  • D-Link 3 port PCI firewire card.

Price: whatever you think it's worth (a beer will probably suffice, though).

As I say, I think most of it still works -- it's not been used for a while -- so no guarantees.

So, if you want any of these bits and you're coming to the empeg meet in September (or you can persuade someone to pick them up for you), bung me a PM and I'll bring it to the meet.

If I haven't heard anything in, say, two weeks time, whatever's not had dibs on is going to the tip.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 05/08/2006 21:03

I don't see why we can't have a bring & buy, although this aspect of the meet has always been a little under utilised in the past. Maybe this will be the year!

In other news, I hope to get the booking form online before the end of the weekend. We need to get some pre-payments in quickly as we need to give Duxford about a grand in advance, due in two weeks time. Pretty much everything is planned out now, and we'll be asking for some volunteers to help the meet run smoothly. Should be a good one!

Rob

Health Insurance - 09/08/2006 08:17

Could I ask that everyone visiting from abroad makes sure they have got the correct paperwork and insurance coverage for the period you are here?

This would help prevent a whole load of paperwork in the event there is an accident or someone falls ill over the weekend - one guest last year ended up with a lot of hassle as a result of just this situation.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 09/08/2006 10:38

Quote:
Will there be a bring-and-buy thing this year?

I will bring:
  • The couple of Rio Receivers I have left. Will hopefully get around to checking whether they work by September. These would go nicely with Roger's WET11 I'd expect.
  • A Sun Sparcstation IPC with AUI to Ethernet adapter.
  • A mint Palm V (thanks Hugo, but my dad can't see the screen as there is not enough contrast). Its got a serial cradle and everything. Ideal for Palantir!
  • A handful of Empeg stickers of all the different types produced. Very cool, not many left!
  • Network cards, graphics cards and as much random but useful stuff as I can find.
Free to anyone who is coming to the meet. If you want me to put a Post-it with your name on anything, please send a PM.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 09/08/2006 12:07

Quote:
...I've found a bunch of other bits that I don't need...

Thomas (speedy67) has got dibs on the WiFi gear.

Frankly, I'm just going to bring a big stack of stuff with me and put it in a corner. If you want it, take it. Whatever's left at the end of the weekend is going to the tip.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Weird request - bring a rock... - 10/08/2006 12:19

Greetings!

I just wanted to bump up (well, link to) this post / thread and ask everyone to bring a labeled rock with them to the meet. Thanks!!!
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/08/2006 19:04

OK, I admit it's been a while since I've logged on

My wife and I (yes, she has an empeg too) would love to come along and meet fellow empegers- is it too late?
We live in Reading so we're planning to pop over for the Saturday.

PS I've read about getting buttons and lighting done at the meets over the years - any plans for that this year?

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 12/08/2006 20:55

Quote:
PS I've read about getting buttons and lighting done at the meets over the years - any plans for that this year?

That service hasn't been offered for quite some time. People are usually too busy drinking and/or enjoying themselves to sit down and do surface mount soldering all evening! Assuming FireFox is coming over you might be able to snag some buttons however you might as well just order them from his site now and get them delivered.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 13/08/2006 09:51

OK, thanks - like I said - it's been a while and there's no harm in asking - you never know...someone might have said "oh, yes, it's always a good idea to buy buttons etc at the meet"

I was actually just looking at the Greenlights buttons and wondering about getting around to it when I thought about checking back here and noticed the meet was in Cambridge.

cheers

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 13/08/2006 12:00

Quote:
about getting buttons

Yes, I'll be there with a bag of buttons in hand. Getting them at the meet will save you ~3 pounds shipping, but will increase your wait time to three weeks instead of one (shipped). Either way, see you there.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 15/08/2006 14:55

Cool - well I like buying things in person so I'll bring an allen key and see you there

I'm sure Mrs lbt will want to pick her colours anyway!

And if I can wait this many years for them then I can wait a little longer ...

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 17/08/2006 09:00

Quote:
I hope to get the booking form online before the end of the weekend.

Have I missed something, I've been away - has the booking form not been posted yet?
I'm not being pushy, I'm just worried about missing out.

Re: Empeg International Owners Meet, Sept 15th - 18th 2006 - 18/08/2006 14:20

No, we've sorted out all the details but I haven't had time to make the booking form. I'll try to do it over the weekend. We're going to have to ask for PayPal payments in advance from as many people as possible, as we have to pay Duxford a big chunk of money soon.

Regards

Rob

Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 22/08/2006 17:57

Please visit http://www.empeg.com/europe2006 to book your place for the 2006 meet.

Apologies for taking to long to get the form online, and now I must request that you book as quickly as possible so we can firm up numbers for the various events. If you have any questions please email me ([email protected]) or post here.

See you at the meet!

Rob
Posted by: dr_dos

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 22/08/2006 20:04

Oh, I'm a little confused now. I was under the impression that I'd book the hotel with the booking form as well. Looks like this isn't the case, right? Too bad I didn't read the whole thread...

Peter

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 22/08/2006 20:54

Yes, please book direct with the hotel. This was discussed several weeks ago. We couldn't negotiate a group rate which was cheaper than the internet rate.

Rob

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 23/08/2006 03:41

OK, thanks.

Peter

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 23/08/2006 09:05

I had not realised, when my daughter dropped out, that, under the internet/14day booking terms, I wouldn't get a refund for the second room, if anybody still needs a room at the Holiday Inn, would they like to pm me and take over my second room booking (I can still alter the 2nd guests room name and you can pay me on arrival).

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 23/08/2006 10:14

Godfrey, I just sent you a PM.

Peter

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 23/08/2006 12:21

Problem solved, room occupied, thanks Peter!

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 27/08/2006 22:45

Argh!!!!

I've been holding off doing anything re: hotel bookings because of work and I'm now glad I did . The meet happens the weekend before my new studio goes live (its first gig is likely to be a labour party conference flavored prime minister's question time, carried live, so no pressure!) and any possibility of getting things done in advance have gone right out the window when I found out this week that half the kit I'm expecting isn't turning up until the 14th!

I was originally going to take the Friday off and travel down. However, i'll now be working late on Friday and, depending upon how much stuff works first time, Saturday morning too. I still really want to attend but the likelihood is I'll travel down mid/late afternoon for the bbq on Saturday and maybe a spot of punting on Sunday before returning in time for work on Monday morning.

So, Is there anyone still looking to share a room for just the Saturday night? Or maybe some sleeping bag space somewhere?

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 28/08/2006 00:41

Quote:
The hard core might wish to camp at the party venue - turn up around 19:30 to pitch your tent in the wooded area, and please let the organisers know in advance that you plan to do so.

From the meet site's Saturday detail page. Maybe you've got a free bed under the stars. (the BBQ venue is at Rob's house right?)

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 28/08/2006 06:53

Quote:
So, Is there anyone still looking to share a room for just the Saturday night?

We might possibly have one two-person room with (currently) only single occupancy. Will confirm ASAP.

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 28/08/2006 07:08

Quote:
a labour party conference

.....or an Empeg meet, no contest! Now, if it was a Tory party.....Oops, no politics or ideology!

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 28/08/2006 12:40

Quote:
Quote:
The hard core might wish to camp at the party venue - turn up around 19:30 to pitch your tent in the wooded area, and please let the organisers know in advance that you plan to do so.

From the meet site's Saturday detail page. Maybe you've got a free bed under the stars. (the BBQ venue is at Rob's house right?)

Yep, space for several tents, just let me know in advance if you want one of them.

Rob
Posted by: Schido

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 28/08/2006 15:55

I tried out flying the dragon rapide from duxford over cambridge, and i sure hope the real pilot flies better than me

Screenshots:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/20060828/fsscr000.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/20060828/fsscr002.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/20060828/fsscr003.jpg
http://www.xs4all.nl/~schido/20060828/fsscr004.jpg

Get the duxford scenery here:
http://www.fsimcafe.com/Downloads/ShowDo...%20War%20Museum

And the rapide's model and texture's here:
http://www.simviation.com/fs2004vintage32.htm
Posted by: furtive

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 29/08/2006 10:24

I've been up in it, and it's a lot of fun. Did it at one of the Duxford autumn airshows a couple of years ago and came in to land just as a Red Arrows hawk took off, which was cool.

It's a bit rickety!

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 29/08/2006 10:47

Talking of the flight, I have to confirm numbers for that tomorrow, so if you haven't booked yet please do so right away. It may not be possible to accommodate late additions as they need to plan how many planes/pilots they need for the afternoon (yes, they actually have two Rapides - amazing!).

Cheers

Rob

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 29/08/2006 10:49

Out of curiosity, roughly how many people have signed up for the meet so far ?

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 29/08/2006 15:08

About 25 so far. I'm hoping for nearer 40 based on previous feedback.

Rob
Posted by: JonnyGee

Early tests - 29/08/2006 17:29

Just done some preliminary tests... bring your ear plugs!

Re: Early tests - 29/08/2006 19:56

Quote:

My neighbour has been running Karaoke parties for the last few weekends - revenge will be mine!

Re: Early tests - 29/08/2006 21:34

Quote:
Quote:

My neighbour has been running Karaoke parties for the last few weekends - revenge will be mine!

Oh dear and I thought the chavs that lived next door to me were bad....

Re: Early tests - 01/09/2006 10:27

It's time to flesh out the agenda a bit. Here's what we have for the afternoon:

Patrick Arnold - Robotic Mayhem
John Graley - Speaker Cabinet Design
Mark Lord - Hijack
Rob Schofield - Empeg Servicing Q&A

These are each an optional seminar you can attend or not on the day. We also have a 90 minute morning session for which I would welcome requests for particular topics or activities you would like to see. Please post your ideas here.

Thanks!

Rob

Re: Early tests - 01/09/2006 11:13

I think we'd all probably like to have a touchy-feely session with anything Numark is working on that you can show us -- those DJ dock things look pretty interesting..

Re: Early tests - 01/09/2006 12:09

Quote:
I think we'd all probably like to have a touchy-feely session with anything Numark is working on that you can show us -- those DJ dock things look pretty interesting..

I'm hoping to run a "Where Are They Now?" segment, with former empeg developers briefly talking about what they've moved on to, and in some cases perhaps showing us a few toys. The former empeg types that ended up at Numark will certainly bring along a few goodies, including some that run code licensed from empeg.

Rob

Seeking Volunteers - 01/09/2006 12:14

I'm seeking some volunteers to help man the Margarita Bar (training provided!) and the BBQ during the party on Saturday evening. If you'd like to help please email me!

Thanks

Rob
[email protected]

Re: Early tests - 04/09/2006 16:24

Maybe I misread something somewhere, but it seems like the flight over Cambridge happened at the same time as the seminars. I'd have liked to attend both, but the seminars win for me.

So, our attendance will be changing throughout the afternoon as people come and go from the flight and museum?

Re: Early tests - 04/09/2006 16:55

Yes, the afternoon format is different to previous years - you can turn up to whichever seminars interest you. This is particularly good for partners who (for some reason) might not *quite* be interested in what Hijack can do for them (their loss!) and instead can take a look around the museum. Our room is right in the museum grounds so it's very easy to come and go.

The flight is at 4:30, so clashes with Rob's servicing seminar. Not much we could do about that.

Cheers

Rob

Calling all vegetarians! - 05/09/2006 09:43

If you're coming to the meet and require vegetarian food, please let me know so I can be sure we don't run out of celary and carrot sticks! (Just kidding, it'll be far yummier than that).

Cheers!

Rob

Re: Calling all vegetarians! - 05/09/2006 13:41

Well, not vegetarian, but no pork, and preferably not *only* meat...

Re: Calling all vegetarians! - 07/09/2006 12:51

I moved the speed camera posts into a new thread in Off Topic - a good discussion, but at risk of hijacking the meet thread!

Rob

Need a dock (pick-up at the meet)? - 09/09/2006 21:17

I have just (barely) enough time before flying to the UK to prepare perhaps one or two all-MDF player docks. Does anyone who will be attending need/want one? Price would be 75 quid. Reply here, and also by email (mlord at pobox duht com)

Cheers

Re: Need a dock (pick-up at the meet)? - 10/09/2006 10:35

Okay, one is spoken for (DG). Anyone want the other?

Cheers

Re: Need a dock (pick-up at the meet)? - 10/09/2006 19:46

Okay, today I built two docks. One has been claimed already, and the other I'd like it to go to someone (anybody) from the UK/Europe side of the pond. GBP 75.00 cash, on Saturday at the meet.

Email me today (mlord at pobox duht com) to reserve it.

Otherwise, I've already got an offer from North America.

Cheers

Re: Weird request - bring a rock... - 12/09/2006 11:40

Just to bump again... I have rocks from 3 locations which i'll bring with me.

Support Paul, please!

Re: Weird request - bring a rock... - 12/09/2006 13:02

Thanks!!!

Which hotel? - 12/09/2006 16:04

Out of interest, how many of you will be staying at the Holiday Inn? Please complete the questionnaire to help us plan the transport arrangements. Thanks!

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 13:38

Will anyone be at the hotel on Thursday? I will be there tomorrow almost all day if someone wants to grab a bite, hang out, or do something else. PM me if you want to swap phone numbers.

EDIT: I can also help set up the event if needed on Thursday and Friday.

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 14:24

Quote:
EDIT: I can also help set up the event if needed on Thursday and Friday.

Unfortunately I've got visitors over from China on Thursday and will probably have to take them to dinner. I have Friday off work and will be setting up for the party - I could probably use a hand from a qualified lighting tech such as yourself! That is, if you promise not to laugh at the state of my kit. Every time I repair a fixture another one fails!

Rob

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 15:10

I will give you a call on Friday then!

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 19:29

Quote:
I have Friday off work and will be setting up for the party

Does this mean you no longer require my services on Saturday afternoon? If you still need a hand, what time should I be looking at coming over?

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 19:33

Ill be in Cambridge thursday afternoon. Same flight as for the BBQ at Hugo. Plus train time, i will give you a call...

Re: Which hotel? - 13/09/2006 20:46

Quote:
Quote:
I have Friday off work and will be setting up for the party

Does this mean you no longer require my services on Saturday afternoon? If you still need a hand, what time should I be looking at coming over?

There should be plenty to do on Saturday still, especially if it rains on Friday! If not, there's always the option of testing out the Margarita bar :-)
Posted by: Schido

Re: Which hotel? - 14/09/2006 04:39

I'll be ariving pretty early on friday. The ferry will reach harwich at about 10am, so i guess i'll be at the holiday inn at about 12 o'clock.
Posted by: JonnyGee

Re: Which hotel? - 14/09/2006 08:12

>> Does this mean you no longer require my services on Saturday afternoon? If you still need a hand, what time should I be looking at coming over?

I won't be able to finish setting up the PA until just before the party because I'll need parts of it at for the speaker design session at Duxford on Saturday afternoon. Hence my request earlier on. Help will be appreciated though it may be a little chaotic. Prolly good if you bring some basic tools too. Just means getting to Foxton a little earlier then the advertised time eg 7ish.

Cheers, John

Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 08:23

I tapped out the itinerary for the meet on my Palm and now have it as a VCS file which is attached.

So you should be able to IR/Bluetooth/Sync this file with your Palm and know what you're doing on the day

In theory this should also work on Windows PocketPC, Windows Mobile, Nokia phones and probably most other phones as well nowadays. There are some nested events, so who knows what will happen in practice.

Re: Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 08:34

Does anyone have a UK to North American plug adapter I can borrow for the meet? Mine isn't allowing the shutters to open for some reason. I have a real estate deal going down, and I need to charge my phone to stay in contact with the mother land.

Re: Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 09:26

You'd think we'd have loads at work, but Americans keep taking them home when they visit!

If you don't find one by tomorrow I'll get you one at Maplins.

Rob

Re: Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 09:53

Quote:
Does anyone have a UK to North American plug adapter I can borrow for the meet? Mine isn't allowing the shutters to open for some reason.

Sure, I have one which I will be bringing with me anyway (to charge my GPS) so you can use that.

Don't forget that the shutters on a UK socket require the earth pin (top one) to be inserted before they will open. If you have a Radio Shack adapter or another one with a retractable earth pin, you need to hold the sliding earth pin thing on the top forward as you push it into the socket.

Re: Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 13:38

Mine (which is here in NC, sorry) had trouble working with some older UK plugs because it has euro-style prongs, which these receptacles intentionally tried to defeat. I ended up having to move the shutters by hand (well, by Bic pen cap clip).

Re: Itinerary in VCS - 14/09/2006 14:17

Just picked one up at Maplins. Thanks anyway guys!

Re: Which hotel? - 16/09/2006 14:23

Really annoyingly, despite my original plan of being flying back to the UK today so I'd at least be there for the sunday events, I've been detained in California until thursday

This also means I have all of about 7 days to sell the Golf before we fly out officially. Joy!

Sorry I can't be there, it would have been really good to see you all (and the food/drink/event schedule looked pretty good too!)

Hugo
Posted by: Derek

Wish I was there too ... - 17/09/2006 06:21

Hi Guys,

I really wish I was there too! Unfortunately there's too much on at work and at home right at the moment, and I couldn't afford the time off :-(

I hope you're all having a really great time!

Derek

P.S. the police have arrested the guy who was selling the parts from my car on ebay last year for dealing in stolen goods - is more heavily punished than theft in the UK! - and just recently 3 of his mates, so you guys have helped crack a car theft ring in the UK!!!! Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!! More info when I get the chance to write again. D

Heck of a party last night! - 17/09/2006 07:53

Wow. .woW !

Thanks, Rob!

Re: Itinerary and Booking Form Now Online - 19/09/2006 05:17

I am starting to tag my photos as I wait for my flight. I probably won't have enough time to complete the upload before I take off, so here's a shot of the aviators:

Patrick, Rob, Brian, Bas, Dave (LittleBlueThing), Sein, John, Boxer

Re: Weird request - bring a rock... - 19/09/2006 10:50

Greetings!

Did anyone bring / collect rocks? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

Re: Weird request - bring a rock... - 19/09/2006 14:48

Quote:
Did anyone bring / collect rocks? If so, please PM me. Thanks!

Ummh... Guess what I found in my jacket pocket when I got home

Re: Heck of a party last night! - 19/09/2006 15:06

Another one..
Posted by: lardrover

Re: Heck of a party last night! - 19/09/2006 20:10

Quote:
Another one..

Hey, that's me in my quest to score all of 12 points in the feelybag game. Stop laughing, it was all I could do to hold the pen the right way up. I resorted to answering many of them with "Is it a Mark 2 Rob?" Reckon I scored 4 on that method alone.

Had a great weekend thanks to you guys, special thanks to big Rob for being host for the great evening do and for little Rob for not hitting me with his clipboard every time I said "Mark 2?" and thanks to everyone who made it what it was.

All the best

Wayne Davies (age 41)