AR coated display panels

Posted by: rob

AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 06:45

As and when these become available we will supply one free of charge to any client currently suffering reflection problems under bright conditions. This item will not be sent automatically - if you need one, email [email protected] and specify which colour you want. Note that blue and green panels provide the best viewing performance in bright light.

You can email now, and we expect to start shipping within two weeks. The offer is restricted to one panel per car player. Please state full shipping address in the email. Panels will be sent by airmail (overseas) or first class post (UK).

Rob

Posted by: krampster

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 07:48

Thanks, Rob. I am aware that this offer comes at the expense of a not insignificant financial hit to Empeg. I couldn't be more pleased with the MK1 and MK2 products--or the company that sold them to me.

Krampster
Mark 1: #354 10 gig/green
Mark 2: #155 36 gig/red
Posted by: mrgray

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 08:22

Rob,

Am I correct in thinking that this only applies to Mk2 owners?

Do Mk1s already have AR?

.Peter

Posted by: Jazzwire

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 08:30

Yes, the Mk1 has an AR screen, which is why some people made such a fuss about having to pay a largely reduced price for an upgraded mk2 AR screen...

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Posted by: tfabris

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 10:02

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 13:59

Rob,

To sum it up -- thank you.

Thank you for restoring my faith. Thank you for doing the right thing, and thank you for a great product. Thanks also for listening to my earlier rant, and although I think you may have unintentionally taken it personally that I was upset at the initial policy, at least you listened -- and changed -- and that is far more than most companies. At least you guys were willing to entertain the complaint rather than just filing it away somewhere to get ignored.

D

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 15:40

As and when these become available we will supply one free of charge to any client currently suffering reflection problems

I don't need one of these panels, as my viewscreen has remained IMHO completely viewable and reflection free under all circumstances. Admittedly, in Alaska my viewing conditions are not as troublesome as, say, Southern California.

As I said, I don't need one, but I would like to have another panel of a different color from the one that I have, just so I can switch them as the mood hits me. (I am easily entertained... :-)

However, I will not accept one free of charge, as I don't feel there is anything wrong with the one that I have. Under these circumstances, would you be willing to sell me one at the previously offered subsidized price?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"
Posted by: DWallach

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 15:42

Hmmm.... big debate time. Do I get a new AR display in BMW-happy red (which is still going to be hard to read in the day) or in clashing blue or green (which would be certainly more legible on a bright day)? Anyone out there have a non-red display in their BMW, Audi, or otherwise funky European car?

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 15:45

Umm.. OK, wait til we mention that they're shipping then order one at the web site. Email me at the same time and I'll apply the discount.

Rob

Posted by: morrisdl

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 17:08

Bravo - I totally agree, I dont think I could sleep with myself...

Great job guys!

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)
Posted by: bryan

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 18:20

Bravo - I totally agree, I dont think I could sleep with myself...
You'll be needing seperate beds then?

I don't need one of these panels
I don't need one either but I have noticed times when the display is unreadable in direct sunlight. I'd like to try one and have no problem with paying the subsidised price.

Posted by: JoMo25

Re: AR coated display panels - 09/10/2000 19:27

Rob, thank you very much for the offer. I've been nothing but totally pleased with my empeg and the customer service. Question: is Amber now available in AR?

- John

Posted by: Jazzwire

Quick Poll - 09/10/2000 23:45

Just a quick question of public opinion

Replacement AR Panels
I want mine for Free
I want to pay the reduced price, as I don't think it should be a free upgrade
I don't need one

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)
Posted by: teemcbee

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 01:37

I have ordered the Mk2 with an amber display.
I thought the colour would match my dashlight but it didn't. Finally I found out that my Peugeot's dashlight has the same color as the BMW's.
I tried unmounting the faceplate ( then the color is something between blue and green) but that colour doesn't match the dash-light.
In my opinion the only color really matching is red.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 05:53

All of the colours will be AR coated. They aren't in stock yet - the plastic has been made, we're waiting for slots at the two coating factories. Hopefully we'll have them in 1 - 2 weeks.

Rob

Posted by: phaigh

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 07:34

clap, clap.

Cheer, cheer.

Paul.

(BTW: Awesome!)

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357
Posted by: Bagpuss

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 12:41

I've got blue in my Audi TT, and it matches really well due to the fact that my interior is blue.

Check out:

http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/gallery/andyfox/image.jpg

to see what I mean.

Andy.

Posted by: eternalsun

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 13:55

Rob, at what point will newly ordered empeg units come with AR coated screens and the new handles? Also, are the empegs shipping with the corrected serial?

Calvin

Posted by: SuperQ

Re: AR coated display panels - 10/10/2000 14:35

I have a 2000 VW Jetta, which has a mostly red, but some blue dash.. I would use the blue, but the empeg blue is more blue-green, and the Jetta is a slightly purlplish blue.. it just looks wrong.. so i stuck with red.. i might try to find a red or pink gel plastic film, and cut it to size, see if that plus the blue panel look right..

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125
Posted by: SuperQ

knobs - 10/10/2000 14:40

AR display panels are great and all.. but I still wish there was some more thought on the defective plastic used in the rotary knob, right now.. i cut mine apart, and glued it to a knob with a setscrew... it looks fine, but not as nice as the original knob (sticks out a couple extra MM)

12gig green mk2 -- 080000125
Posted by: altman

Re: knobs - 11/10/2000 02:01

If you've not been following the threads - there has been more thought, and a new design knob with rubber insert will be shipped out FOC to all customers.

Hugo

Posted by: Dignan

Re: knobs - 11/10/2000 06:33

It just keeps getting better!!

For me, the AR isn't that big an issue, but now I can see how much the direct sunlight washes out the display (before, any light washed out the display ). I might be willing to pay for one too!

And I suppose a new control knob would be good, but I don't see what's so bad about this one. Oh well.

DiGNAN
Posted by: avatarTX

Re: knobs and displays - 11/10/2000 06:38

Ditto. For me its not really an issue. If I decide I need one down the road, I will be glad to fork over a couple of bucks to get one.

Carl

080000506 12gb-green
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: knobs and displays - 11/10/2000 12:38

Ditto. For me its not really an issue. If I decide I need one down the road, I will be glad to fork over a couple of bucks to get one.

Uhhh, yeah. What he said.

Don't send me a new knob unless I am buying something else at the same time (A/R screen perhaps, or maybe a new empeg-branded remote) as the shipping costs would be pretty extravagant compared to the cost of the knob itself.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

Re: knobs and displays - 11/10/2000 15:36

The knobs will go out to everyone - it's in the budget and it's easier that way. I'm hoping that they will coincide with knobs and handles, however, so we can ship them together where applicable.

Rob

Posted by: Squid2k1

Re: AR coated display panels - 12/10/2000 06:07

we will supply one free of charge to any client currently suffering reflection problems under bright conditions.
Do we have to notify you within a certain amount of time? I ask as my empeg is not installed yet and knowing my luck it will be cloudy for weeks after it is installed!

Re: AR coated display panels - 12/10/2000 07:51

You don't have to, but I want to get most of them out in one batch.

Rob

Posted by: jwtadmin

Re: AR coated display panels - 12/10/2000 08:05

I already sent an email to [email protected] about the panel do I also need to send one for the knob and the handle?

Re: AR coated display panels - 12/10/2000 08:06

Nope. The knob is automatic, we'll post something about the handle soon.

Rob

Re: AR coated display panels - 12/10/2000 22:40

Hmm - that was exactly what I tried when fitting my amber to the "amber" of my car (which is definitetly red - as the BMWs dash-colour)
But I finally ended up with a too dark display - (OK amber is quite dark already)

Anyway - good luck on this!

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

Re: knobs and displays - 12/10/2000 22:42

Hmm- I think I've missed the thing about the handles. What's wrong with the handles - anyone?

Rob - As posted in the "remote control"-tread - When producing different handles - had a thought about putting your "empeg car" logo on them?

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143
Posted by: GeorgeLSJr

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 06:48

The thread is here. Basically, there are some people (myself included) that have experienced some chips on the handles from normal usage. If anything, my handle is underused!

George
Posted by: EngelenH

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 07:06

If anything, my handle is underused!

Oh so your marital status is single ?

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431
Posted by: GeorgeLSJr

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 08:32

Is it that obvious?

Sometimes I forget the crowd I'm speaking to.

George

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 09:12

I doubt the crowd feels happy about being identified with me but ok .

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431
Posted by: Jeff

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 14:23

I just got my unit a couple days ago and noticed the knob does not turn smoothly, as if it were attached slightly crooked. No big deal, I use the remote 99% of the time so far.
But I also noticed the handle has some scratches, where the paint (or whatever it is) was scratched off. Worse, there were other marks someone had tried to cover up with a black magic marker. I can only imagine how it will look after a while of real use.
Everything else is great though.

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 14:35

Both issues are going to be fixed by empeg in the near future so not a real problem. My knob (the one on the empeg) had the same problem, however after a few rotations it eased up.

Still, help is on the way.

Cheers,
Hans

Mk2 - Blue - 080000431
Posted by: jwickis

Re: knobs and displays - 14/10/2000 19:02

Don't have to be single to have an underused handle!

You guys with *knob & handle* problems need a different board.

#090000695Mk2BLUE12Gig

Edited by jwickis on 15/10/00 03:34 AM.