emulate a "usb mass storage" device?

Posted by: ajayrockrock

emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 20/08/2009 21:28

Hi, I recently bout a 2010 Prius which means that my empeg is now sitting on the shelf. There's an AUX-IN port for the prius which means that I can still use my empeg if I can find a place to mount it.

But they also have a "ipod" connection kit which will replace the AUX-IN with a USB port that you can connect an ipod to. You can also plug in a USB hard drive to the port and then you can then navigate the drive contents (and play music) through the main head unit.

My question, how hard would it be to get the empeg to emulate a USB Mass Storage Device using something like:

http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

Posted by: wfaulk

Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 20/08/2009 21:52

Why bother? Just get a USB hard drive.

I mean, it's not like you're going to get any of the empeg's benefits that way.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 21/08/2009 00:41

I'd get a display extender if I were you.

Check out some nice stuff here.
Posted by: ajayrockrock

Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 21/08/2009 16:57

yeah, I forgot to mention that it was kind of a silly request. smile

getting a usb enclosure would be the easiest thing.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 21/08/2009 18:19

One of the things people requested of the Empeg "back in the day" was for it to emulate a USB mass storage device for the purposes of managing the music collection. That would have been too costly in terms of development time, its database architecture doesn't really support that. Plus, the USB cable was much slower than the ethernet cable anyway.

I can see how a read-only implementation of this could be fun and useful, though. For instance, there are a lot of consumer devices with usb slots that claim to be able to play media from a USB mass storage device (such as a memory stick). Sure, putting your music collection on a portable hard drive makes more sense, but imagine that you still have your empeg sled installed in your car, and you've driven to a friend's house, and his TV has a USB plug on it, and you want to play him a new album. Scrounge a 12v power supply and a USB cable and you're there.
Posted by: StigOE

Re: emulate a "usb mass storage" device? - 22/08/2009 03:22

Originally Posted By: tfabris
...imagine that you still have your empeg sled installed in your car, and you've driven to a friend's house, and his TV has a USB plug on it, and you want to play him a new album. Scrounge a 12v power supply and a USB cable and you're there.

Or do like me, keep a power supply and a phono cable in the glove compartment.