Pioneer steering wheel remote works

Posted by: mcomb

Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 24/02/2001 17:55

Well, I found a steering wheel remote that can be made to work with the empeg. It is the Pioneer CXB3488. The empeg sees the codes that it emits and using fvgestel's ir_trans stuff it works great with the empeg. Here are the key mappings that I used in the empeg_ircodes file.

0x0000AD0A:0x0000B914

0x0000AD0B:0x0000B915

0x0000AD43:0x0000B90B

0x0000AD42:0x0000B90A

0x0000AD12:0x0000B95E

0x0000AD1A:0x0000B91F

This enables the sound up and down buttons, the forward and backward buttons, and the info change (forget what button that is on the empeg remote) and DNPP buttons as Band and SRC on the Pioneer. There are several other buttons on this remote, but I have not decided what I want them to do yet.

Here are a couple of pics of the remote

The only problem that I have so far is that the key repeat rate is a little fast. Frank V, would it be possible to slow down the key repeat rate with your ir stuff? I will have this at the empeg meet next weekend if anyone wants to play with it.

-Mike

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 24/02/2001 17:57

Forgot to mention that this only changes the ir codes that the empeg sees for the Pioneer remote so the regular empeg remotes still works as normal.

-Mike

Posted by: loren

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 24/02/2001 21:11

Holy crap, i want one! I hope i'm not asking something that's been answered before...but would the CDRS77 model work as well? Or have you only found this one to work..

I ask 'cause after a quick web search i found only this site with the CXB3488 model, but the other one seems very available. I'm gonna order that puppy this week. Thanks!!!!

|| loren.cox || 080000446 ||
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 24/02/2001 22:43

That site looks rather shady... I think the 77 is the update model, hence it may be hard or impossible to find any of these older ones around. I'd like to know if anyone can confirm or deny the CDRS77 working, I think I remember Frank, the guy who wrote the IR thing, saying it didn't generate the right frequency or the right codes or something.

I would SO love a steering wheel remote but I'm not going to order until I find one that works.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 24/02/2001 23:22

Sorry I don't know about the 77 model because I don't have one. The empeg only listens on a certain frequency range so the remote needs to send in that range. I would expect that all of the Pioneers would use the same range, but I don't really know. The remote that I have came with a pioneer head unit that I bought about one year ago so it seems like they ought to still be somewhat available. BTW, the ir_tran kernel up on Frank's site is for v1.01 and I am not sure if it is for a mark1 or mark2 so I compiled my own 1.02 image. You can grap a copy for mark1(untested) or mark2 from me if you need it.

-Mike

Posted by: schofiel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 13:15

I'm using the Kenwood KCA-600 steering remote. This is a pretty recent one, and works fine for basic control.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
Posted by: fvgestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 14:08

I think I remember Frank, the guy who wrote the IR thing, saying it didn't generate the right frequency or the right codes or something.

Based on some probability-calculations, I did indeed think that changes were low. I tried about 50 different IR-devices with a 100-in-one remote, and only 3 of them were showing IR-codes through /dev/ir. I know the 1.02 also accepts the new rio-remote, which uses another code-set; maybe there were also some other sets implemented?

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 14:23

Frank V, would it be possible to slow down the key repeat rate with your ir stuff?

I guess it would be possible, dunno how it will impact performance/responsiveness of the empeg. I am rather busy lately, but I will experiment some; don't expect anything before april though...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 14:33

No problem. Just curious if you had any thoughts. I tried playing with IR_RPTDELAY_DEFAULT and IR_RPTINT_DEFAULT in empeg_ir.c but they did not seem to have any effect. The problem is that this pioneer remote tends to send the code two or three times unless you are really quick about releasing the button. I was hoping that these two constants had something to do with catching and dropping repeats, but my C isn't good enough to really figure out what is going on (I will have to look through the code again and see if I can figure out what is actually happening). If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks, -Mike

Posted by: synergy

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 14:52

The CDRS77 does indeed work.... Althought I think it has the same problem you are encountering. The repeat coming off of the remote appears to be about 1.4-1.5 time that of the kenwood. As a result, unless you are REALLY light on the keys, it's pretty easy to get a couple of hits registered, instead of one.

Felt like I was playing piano with a pair of mittens on. Sure you are going to get the key you wanted, but chances are, you'll also hit a few you didn't.

It would probably be fine if you could ignore every other IR input.

I didn't buy it, based on this. But I have to say, the salepeople were damn impressed by the unit sitting on the desk scrolling through 1000+ songs.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 25/02/2001 14:57

It works, true, but it's far from ideal. It's got a limited selection range, and mounting (for me at least) is very much un-satisfactory.

I'm trying to find someone with the Blaupunkt thummers in stock. If I can find a local dealer, I'll bring the EMPEG in with my laptop and find out if it can work with the remote or not.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 26/02/2001 07:06

So wait, synergy, you've confirmed that the CDRS77 DOES emit codes that the Empeg can "hear," and should therefore work with Frank's IR mapping patch? If that's the case then I'm gonna snatch one of those puppies up as soon as possible. Saw it for $35 at one of the online stores, can't beat that.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 26/02/2001 08:14

Yes, In fact, it works with the codes that were posted earlier by mcomb. I loaded my empeg up with the IR-trans kernel and codes posted. Then went searching for pioneer dealers in the area.

The remote does "work", but I really sugggest that you try it before you buy it, as it's increased freq. really doesn't make controlling easy. I knew within a few minutes of playing with it that it would end up pissing me off, so I didn't buy it.

But to answer your question. Yes, it does emit freq. that the EMPEG can see and respond to. And yes, it DOES work with the IR-trans kernel. But after having played with it, I can't see it as a good replacement, due to the fact that you end up jumping 1-3 (random) steps with every button press. That might be able to be coded out, but it doesn't appear like that will happen soon.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 26/02/2001 08:33

Hm. I think I could code a fix, though I haven't set up a toolchain yet. I think it'd be relatively simple to discard every Nth remote press to compensate for the fast repeat... This would be a great excuse for me to get into Empeg kernel programming. I'm gonna order the remote and see if it bothers me enough, if it does, I'll commence hacking.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 28/02/2001 19:07

Well I received my Pioneer CD-SR77 steering wheel remote. Repeat is a bit fast but it's tolerable until I can hack my kernel up a bit to ignore some of the repeats. Seems to be working well. The codes are probably the same as for the model mcomb has, but I'll attach a pic I made so I can remember the hex codes for the buttons.

Once I get a toolchain set up I'll work in a way to slow down repeat rate and share it with everybody. I do recommend this remote, very handy.

The only thing that would make it more useful is for the player software to have arcade game "enter your initials" style entry for some of the alphanumeric fields (like FF/REW or Vol up/down buttons cycle through each letter, track forward/backward buttons move the cursor left/right, etc.) Then you could actually do searches for artists/albums with the Direct/OK button menu. But it might be a little crazy typing them in one character at a time... Hmm...

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: rockstar

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/03/2001 02:59

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH, THIS MAKES ME VERY HAPPY!!!!

even an idiot like me can get it working, tha tis great.

It is a little fast, but i have faith you guys will slow it down, at least we know lag won't be a problem!!

one thing, i notice there are some buttons left unused, i jsut used the codes posted on teh front page. I don't really understand the codes, can anyone explain how exactly to figure out which button goes to which feature, i am sorta lost on this.

THANKS GUYS!

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/03/2001 09:33

I attached a JPG that shows the hex codes that are sent by the CD-SR77.
Here it is.

That image tells you the hex codes SENT. To figure out what you want to map them to, use the following, which I stole from some code on the Empeg developer site. These codes correspond to the codes sent by the Kenwood credit card remote.

0 0x0000B900
1 0x0000B901
2 0x0000B902
3 0x0000B903
4 0x0000B904
5 0x0000B905
6 0x0000B906
7 0x0000B907
8 0x0000B908
9 0x0000B909
Track (-) 0x0000B90A
Track (+) 0x0000B90B
AM 0x0000B90C
FM 0x0000B90D
Prog (play) 0x0000B90E
Direct/OK 0x0000B90F
Vol Up 0x0000B914
Vol Dn 0x0000B915
Asterisk 0x0000B91B
Tuner 0x0000B91C
Tape 0x0000B91D
CD 0x0000B91E
CD/MD/CH 0x0000B91F
DNPP 0x0000B95E

So, like, if you wanted to map the "Func" button on the CD-SR77 to cycle Info modes like the CD/MD/CH button on the Kenwood remote, you add the following line to your mapping file:

0x0000AD19:0x0000B91F

Hope this helps.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/03/2001 21:21

Well tonight I went from not having Linux on my system at all to compiling my first kernel in about 4 hours. Not too shabby. Had to get a good .config file from this BBS and figure out a few things about the toolchain, but now it's a breeze.

My first attempt at slowing down the repeat rate was to to the same changes to the #defines just to see if the repeat settings worked, and they don't seem to. I even tried increasing the timings buffer in empeg_ir.h (which probably doesn't even have anything to do with the repeat count) just for fun.

I guess the next strategy would be to put something in the ir_read() function to discard every Nth code received. Until I become more familiar with the code and the various custom typedefs and structures, I probably won't be getting anywhere. The thing I'm concerned with is the code and ocmments make it look like there's already "filter repeat" logic in there, and a "discard" strategy might cause timing issues with whatever repeat logic is in there.

Well, time to get VMWare running so I can do this crap from Windoze. I'll do some more hacking in the next few days and report my results. Looking at this code has given me a new respect for the Empeg programmers, though I *am* a little confused as to why the #defines don't do what they say they do!

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/03/2001 22:48

though I *am* a little confused as to why the #defines don't do what they say they do!

Well, if true, it wouldn't be the first time that's happened in a piece of code. But I think there's probably something else going on that's got nothing to do with the defines. It's probably related to the pioneer remote sending out the IR signals in a completely different fashion than the empeg remote.

I know that sort of thing can be tricky, but I don't know enough about IR to offer specific suggestions.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 02/03/2001 03:50

I guess the next strategy would be to put something in the ir_read() function to discard every Nth code received.

My idea was to use add_timer in the case a code is received that should be translated. When the second code arrives, the timer is checked for expiration. This would allow a second parameter in the config file to set the delay time. So a config file would look like :

# original code:new code:delay time in ms
0x0000AD0A:0x0000B914:100
0x0000AD0B:0x0000B915:100
0x0000AD43:0x0000B90B:100
0x0000AD42:0x0000B90A:100
0x0000AD12:0x0000B95E:100
0x0000AD1A:0x0000B91F:500

this way you could add multiple timers and different delays for different codes... Dunno how many timers are allowed though.

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 09:12

Help!

Seeing the recent posts on installing the IR kernel for the Pioneer streeing wheel remote, I see that it may be fairly involved to carry out the procedure. I am majorly Linux-challenged, is there anyone one willing to do the hack from start to finish and put it all into one post with a step-by-step instruction? I would really love to use my remote but I'm not ready to risk screwing with my new player just yet due to my ineptness with Linux coding....Thanks - John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 09:52

I haven't got the 1.02 source at the moment, maybe someone else has compiled the ir-trans hack in a 1.02 kernel? Anyway, I'm still planning on doing the delays for the remote when I have time. There were some general instructions for installing the kernel and init-script posted somewhere in this thread

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 10:27

I've compiled a 1.02 kernel with the IR patch, but my Linux machine isn't running right now, so I can't FTP it over. I will post it tonight unless someone beats me to it.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 11:17

I've posted two IR Kernels on http://wedding.d0gz.net/empeg/

One has the voladj hack on it, the other doesn't. Both include the IR trans. Both are MK2 only.

Note: I didn't compile either of these, just found them browsing about the BBS. If anyone is needing, I can host files like this without a problem.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 11:40

Thanks guys, this gives me more confidence to give it a go, Maybe there will be a chance for the techies at Empeg putting the IR kernel codes for the Pioneer remote into a later software version due to it's popularity as an alternative to the Kenwood/Rio? (maybe/hopefully)

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 16:49

I've got a kernel which should slow down the repeat rate to 500ms. Only the custom codes get delayed, so your kenwood-remote should still work properly. I haven't got a pioneer remote, so could anyone verify this? the kernel is a standard 1.02 image with only my ir-patch.
zip-file irtrans1.0.2.zip can be found at http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/ir_trans_kernel

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/03/2001 20:11

Frank,

You've done it again! And darn it, you beat me to it!

It's working well. Just flashed and it performs as advertised, delays the custom codes and avoids the annoying fast repeats. My automobile thanks you, because the concentration I was using on clicking exactly once on the remote is concentration I can now devote to driving!

So... Can I get an updated patch so I can apply it to my own source tree? I have the settings and 1disk patches on there and would love this as well. Thanks again.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 01:31

Is the delay sufficient or should I raise/lower it?
I'm thinking of hard-coding the pioneer-codes and delays in the kernel-image, so no further modifications other than applying a new kernel would be necessary. I guess this would please a lot of people. Custom codes and delays would still be available through catting the config file to /dev/ir though.
Is everybody happy with the ir-codes that mike posted in the original post and should I make this set the default?
BTW, I'm also getting one of these steering wheel remotes; the kenwood-remote is fine, but not very usefull in the car due to my inability to drive and find the right buttons without looking at it...
I'll try to get the new kernel-image and patch ready for download this evening

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 06:38

The delay seems okay, maybe a little shorter would be nice, but I'd have to tweak around with it to find the "sweet spot." I'm using a totally different code layout than mcomb listed, but I don't have a problem catting a custom file (or even hard coding my own in the kernel.)

The next "whiz bang" feature might be to allow one of the buttons to be a "modifier" button, like maybe the "ATT" button would allow the next keypress to be interpreted as a different command. So you'd get an extra 10 or so functions out of it. That might be something I try to work on, unless you make it there first!

And to think, some people just want to listen to music on these things. :)

-Tony

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 06:57

Thanks Guys, this is great! I appreciate all of the effort to make this work for us non-Linux guys...One thing about the "ATT" button though, on my Pioneer head unit, the att (attenuation) button is very useful for an instant lowering of the volume ie while in a drive-through or customs booth (like Detroit/Windsor tunnel). I would suggest that it be left as is for that reason in case you didn't know what it was for.....

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 07:21

Well yah but I don't have a Pioneer head unit. :) Currently my ATT button is assigned for "shuffle on/off" (0 button.) I was suggesting the ATT button because of its location, but it could really be any button. I just like the idea of using a modifier button to get an extra 10 functions out of the remote.

The other thing is if you have a Pioneer head unit, the steering wheel remote is going to still operate your head unit AND your Empeg... Won't there be a conflict there?

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 09:25

I wasn't clear enough, the ATT function is nice because of what it does on my deck now...I will be replacing the Pioneer head unit with the Empeg so I was hoping to be able to keep the ATT funtion as it is/was...so therefore if someone was to code the button function to do something else on the Empeg, I would lose that feature....I haven't been able to play with my player all than much yet, I left it in Canada while I finish my tour of Bosnia, I don't think that the Empeg has an "mute" or attenuation function to begin with??? John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 15:38

Thanks Frank. Thats great news. I would bet somoene else could come up with a better button layout than I posted. I didn't even setup half of the buttons because I was just going for the ones that I personally use. I am looking forward to the patch so that I can add it to the half a dozen others I am already using :-)

BTW, any idea when you might have the next version of DisplayServer ready? I seem to remember a thread with lots of neat new features mentioned (like a virtual remote)?

Thanks,
-Mike

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 17:43

Well, I allready promised to put up the patch and new image this evening.
changes :
I've added the 5 codes you gave as default
the repeat-delay is set to 200ms (I guess this is the same as the empeg-remote)

WIth a default set, it is now possible to install the kernel on a consumer-image.

available now in various colors at http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/ir_trans_kernel

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/03/2001 17:54

Displayserver is undergoing some heavy rewriting; I'm experimenting a lot to get the best performance without interfering with the player-executable.
The next version is 2.0 and won't be available before 1.1 is out. It will probably also work on 1.02 and earlier, but I guess there are going to be so many new features in 1.1 everybody is going to enjoy, that displayserver 2.0 should be released some time later to be "the icing of the cake"

Damn, it's so hard to write something funny when english is not your mothertongue. While I type, I see the school-english streaming on the screen. I guess(I guess i am a guesser) I really sound/write like an old man.

As for the "remote in the applet" thing, I'll put that version up tomorrow...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 02:58

Thanks Frank
As this is going to be my first time attempting to install a kernel into my player, and being Linux inept, is there any step-by step procedure that you are aware of on the board that I can follow or are the instructions on your page sufficent for me to give this a go? I really want to have my Pioneer remote to be up and running but am a little intimidated in trying out the install...There are a number of terms and procedures listed there that I have never seem before....John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2
Posted by: Roger

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 03:21

The new Rio remote has an attenuate button, which will work in v1.1

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 05:48

use the simple installation procedure in the readme file. Uploading a kernel to the empeg is explained in Tony's logo-editor. ( select serial port, select kernel-image file through file-dialog and upload ). then reboot... that's all
I anything goes wrong, you can allways reinstall a consumer/developer-image from empeg/rio; this will not damage your MP3's

This brings me to another question :
would it be possible to get the old kernel from the empeg over serial? this way logoeditor could first create a backup of the old kernel before applying a new one. Great for backout purposes without destroying any customizations to the root fs

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 07:28

Thanks Frank,

I'll be giving a go by the time I get back to Canada in a few weeks....looking forward to it...by then hopefully someone will have all the Pioneer functions mapped and it will be go to go!

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 09:31

Yeah, write a program to read it from the relevant section of flash, and punt it over the serial port.

We don't have one - 'cos we upload kernels from scratch every time.

Reading the flash is as simple as opening particular /dev devices. I don't recall the names, and I don't think they're in the default image. If you have a look through the kernel source, you should be able to find out which major/minor they need.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 10:06

WIth a default set, it is now possible to install the kernel on a consumer-image.

A couple of questions Frank, what do you mean by the line above and can I add more lines into your code to allow for more functions (more than the five that you have)? It seems to me that I could have up to and including nine the way I read it. I see that the language structure is much the same as Java....

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 10:19

with the previous kernel, it was necessary to feed the codes to the player after boot-up. This ment you had to have a program running on the empeg to perform this feeding for you. As all programs on the empeg are started through init, you had to replace it. To replace it, you got to have a command-line interface to the empeg, which is only available in the developer-image.
The program to feed the codes is called "cat" (from concatenate). Under DOS/windows there's a similar command called "type".

A couple of questions Frank, what do you mean by the line above and can I add more lines into your code to allow for more functions (more than the five that you have)? It seems to me that I could have up to and including nine the way I read it. I see that the language structure is much the same as Java....

Yes you can, but the code you refer to must be patched to the kernel source and recompiled.
Post the codes to this BBS and I will make it the default if nobody complaints...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 10:52

This brings me to another question :
would it be possible to get the old kernel from the empeg over serial? this way logoeditor could first create a backup of the old kernel before applying a new one. Great for backout purposes without destroying any customizations to the root fs

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is theoretically possible. I think that you can do flash reads over serial as well as writes. That would be kind of a nice feature to add to the logo editor.

The hard part is working out all the details of the communication protocols and handshaking in the opposite direction. Everything in DOWNLOAD.C is engineered towards a send, rather than a receive.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 12:18

Actually Frank, looking at the differences between the Pioneer and the Empeg remote and not having the tuner as of yet...the only new really useful button would be the "attenuation" function as it is on the Pioneer (and it won't work with the Empeg until v1.1) This being said, the functions that have already been mapped will be perfect for now. I imagine however that in the future, once you have had your Pioneer remote for a while, that you will enhance the functions that are mapped now and we will all benefit... Thanks again for all your help. John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2
Posted by: Wire

The CD-SR70 works also - 15/03/2001 14:25

Frank,

Once again you leave me in awe. I had an old CD-SR70, which is almost identical to the CD-SR77. It has one button less, and a little bit different layout. I have attached an .. ahem .. stolen JPG which i've scribbled some corrections on to make it match my CD-SR70 remote.

I propose the following table:

--cut--
# Do not remove this line. It is needed by the kernel. Syntax: :
0x0000AD0C:0x0000B90E
0x0000AD1A:0x0000B91F
0x0000AD1E:0x0000B95E
0x0000AD40:0x0000B90D
0x0000AD41:0x0000B90C
0x0000AD12:Ox0000B91B
--cut--

This makes the last button on the remote the asterisk. But instead of getting the menu, the player consequently powers off. Any ideas ... ?

Also how's it coming along with those timers? The volume adjustment on the Pioneer is uselessly slow :(

But GREAT STUFF Frank.

Regards,

Lars

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 15/03/2001 15:19

This makes the last button on the remote the asterisk. But instead of getting the menu, the player consequently powers off. Any ideas ... ?

Dunno, I will put up a more verbose kernel next to the other which will display the received and translated IR-codes on serial.

Also how's it coming along with those timers? The volume adjustment on the Pioneer is uselessly slow :(

I've set the delay to 200ms. Would 100ms be more sufficient?

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: borislav

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/03/2001 19:53

Reading the flash is as simple as opening particular /dev devices.

Is reading the flash possible via the bootstrap loader (the piece of code that allows you to flash a new kernel or logo, and boots the kernel)?

Borislav

Posted by: Wire

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 16/03/2001 00:30

Hi Frank,

I have no idea what the delays does. But they should be user-configurable, if possible. If you only support one timer/delay now, how about just making that configurable.

It could be the second line in the configuration file, or magic number in the code lines f.x. 0xFFFFFFFF:200 sets the delay to 200 msec.

But generally I better like the idea of the :: when you have the time to look at that :)

Also, Im curious - your hack looks at input to /dev/ir for configuration. I suppose the regular kernel doesnt look at input at all.

But on the output side, it looks as if the hack looks at the output from /dev/ir, and if it sees a code it is told to translate it also sends that code out. Which means that both the original and the translated ir-data enters the stream. Doesnt that confuse the players key-repeat algorithm (the volume adjustment isnt logarithmic with translated codes, its linear).

Also, what about support for the keypad - is that possible at all, as there are both a press and depress code?

Lars

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 16/03/2001 04:27

No. Having just read my first bit of ARM assembler, I can say that there's no code in there to read from the flash.

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 16/03/2001 12:13

One last quick question Frank...Can you confirm that the memory address in the flash for your kernel (or any other one) is 10000? I looked at the FAQ on how to do it and it was a little ambiguous there....Thanks - John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 16/03/2001 12:16

Sorry, my fault.

I should be more clear about that. I'll go back and update it.

For the foreseeable future, 0x10000 will always be kernels, 0xA000 will be logos.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote (And Question) - 17/03/2001 09:45

Okay, that is too cool looking for me to pass up anymore... I think it would make a great addition to my Jeep also. ;)

/me surfs to the pioneer page.

One question though, how do these controllers work? It's quite obviously IR, but don't you need to have a somewhat good line of site for this to work? What if you are turning the wheel and need to mute it? Does the wheel have to be in the "neutral position" in order for the controller to function? And also, the only IR controller I can find is the CD-SR77. Are all models of the CD-SR77 IR? Or are there RF models I should watch out for?

Oh, mcomb, I'm getting my Borla headers, catback, and catalytic converter installed next week. ;-)

(O|||||O)

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote (And Question) - 17/03/2001 14:02

don't you need to have a somewhat good line of site for this to work?

I find that mine works about 45 degrees in either direction from neutral, so say between 1:30 and 4:30 on your watch dial. Generally if I have the wheel cranked more than that I am too busy making a U-turn or some such thing to be playing with the empeg anyway.

Oh, mcomb, I'm getting my Borla headers, catback, and catalytic converter installed next week. ;-)

Cool, let me know how you like the full setup. I have the catback, but not the other pieces. I just installed a Turbo City air tube and Hi-Flow filter this morning actually. Now I am going to go take the top off and pretend it is summer (it is about 80 degrees outside right now).

-Mike

Posted by: ClemsonJeep

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote (And Question) - 17/03/2001 17:44

Cool, let me know how you like the full setup. I have the catback, but not the other pieces. I just installed a Turbo City air tube and Hi-Flow filter this morning actually. Now I am going to go take the top off and pretend it is summer (it is about 80 degrees outside right now).

What kind of performance increase did you notice (if any) with those mods? (not the catback... I'm talking the air tube and hi-flow air filter). About how much did it run you? Since I smacked my 33x12.5 tires on it, I'm trying to scrounge together any performance increase that I can find.

And I wish about the weather... its still 50s in DC.. :( I have to find a place to stash my hardtop anyway...

(O|||||O)

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote (And Question) - 18/03/2001 15:33

What kind of performance increase did you notice (if any) with those mods?

Not much really. I always felt sort of a flat spot between about 2700 and 3000 RPM in my jeep where the engine would rev higher but it did not feel like I was going any faster. I have only had the air tube for a day, but is seems like it has cured that flat spot and I get smoother acceleration through that range. Now technically I don't think that such a flat spot should be possible, but that is how it has always felt.

About how much did it run you? Since I smacked my 33x12.5 tires on it, I'm trying to scrounge together any performance increase that I can find.

The tube was about $70 and the filter was $40. But, I would recommend just getting the tube and then finding a K&N filter that will fit it because the filter they sell feels kind of cheep. Anyway, all of these mods are not really going to offset the larger tires. It sounds like it is time to go to 4.33 pinion gears. Remember what JEEP stands for (Just Empty Every Pocket).

-Mike

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote (And Question) - 19/03/2001 10:16

The tube was about $70 and the filter was $40. But, I would recommend just getting the tube and then finding a K&N filter that will fit it because the filter they sell feels kind of cheep. Anyway, all of these mods are not really going to offset the larger tires. It sounds like it is time to go to 4.33 pinion gears. Remember what JEEP stands for (Just Empty Every Pocket).

Haha. I had actually not heard that reference before. I am trying to avoid regearing as long as I can, as that is not too cheap of a modification. However, I might need to bite the bullet and do it. I just need to find someone who has regeared and is in the same situation as me, so as to see what kind of a performance increase it gave.

Thanks for the info.

(O|||||O)

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 30/03/2001 17:03

Dunno, I will put up a more verbose kernel next to the other which will display the received and translated IR-codes on serial

Any more work done on this? It would be nice to be able to access the menu (* key) with the steering wheel remote, so one can switch song without having to reach to the empeg to get to the playlists menu.

Specifically, I'm looking for the codes that the kenwood sends out for the asterisk and the Direct OK button. I've found ir.txt in the help directory of the kernel, but it lists everything BUT the asterisk and the Direct OK codes. Is there a list somewhere in the kernel of the codes the kenwood sends out and their button mappings?

(O|||||O)

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 30/03/2001 17:30

Clemson,

this is what you want. Look at the #defines, IR_DIRECT (0x0000B90F) is the OK button, IR_STAR (0x0000B91B) is the asterisk. I have my Pioneer remote set up with the asterisk and OK buttons working wonderfully.

As for a kernel with debug printing of the received IR codes, that's pretty easy to do if you still need it. But those codes should work just fine.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: The CD-SR70 works also - 30/03/2001 17:53

Hehe, Oh well. This message was about 10 minutes too late. I ended up trial-and erroring it using the info from the (incomplete) ir.txt file. I had forgotten about that site - I remember reading it years ago.

Anyway, I've got a layout that I like for my CD-SR77 remote control. Here is the empeg_ircodes file:

# Do not remove this line. It is needed by the kernel. Syntax: :
0x0000AD0C:0x0000B90E
0x0000AD1A:0x0000B95E
0x0000AD12:0x0000B91F
0x0000AD40:0x0000B91B
0x0000AD41:0x0000B90F
0x0000AD19:0x0000B90C
0x0000AD0D:0x0000B90D

This maps play/pause to the top button, info mode and visual cycle to the band/src buttons right below that. The 4 direction buttons are mapped semi-like the empeg face plate controls. Up is Asterisk, left and right are track forward and back, bottom is DirectOK or select. The buttons below that are for FF/RW, and of course Volume is Volume.

I hope there will be a way to cycle back/forward in visuals, and then I'll modify my ircodes file to reflect that. Other than that this seems to work great for me.

Thanks for the help anyway. :)

(O|||||O)

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 06/04/2001 16:26

Hello Frank

I am finally prepared to do your patch (once I get my player back from repair first!). One final question...when I use Tony's software to upload you modified kernel, do I just use the patch only or do I have to upload the original IR kernel as well first? Thanks - John

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 07/04/2001 03:05

You cannot upload a patch to the empeg, you need a full kernel for that. The patch is for recompiling a new kernel. Grab the kernel-image from my site, unpack it using winzip and upload it to the empeg; that should be sufficient...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 07/04/2001 08:34

Thanks Frank

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2
Posted by: 753

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 26/05/2001 13:39

My idea was to use add_timer in the case a code is received that should be translated. When the second code arrives, the timer is checked for expiration. This would allow a second parameter in the config file to set the delay time.

Was this idea ever realised? The Volume Control on the pioneer remote is still somewhat slow. Not a major PITA, but a small one.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 26/05/2001 15:36

Not from the config file, no. I haven't got 1.02 by hand right now, but I will create a 1.03 version next week. You could set the delay in the patch file and recompile the kernel though. I think I set it to 200ms. Has anyone tried the patch, changed the timeout and recompiled?

Frank van Gestel
Posted by: drakino

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 27/05/2001 14:14

I haven't got 1.02 by hand right now, but I will create a 1.03 version next week.

This is the second time I have seen someone act as if 1.03 is out. Did I miss something?

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 27/05/2001 21:25

This is the second time I have seen someone act as if 1.03 is out. Did I miss something?

Heh, no, Frank's just jumping the gun. He's an alpha tester, you see, and he's currently got his hot little hands on one of the 1.03 releases.

I don't think any of us got any sort of expected timetable on 1.03 final, so Frank's probably being optimistic about when the rest of the world would need the 1.03 version.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 29/05/2001 17:14

So, I've picked up the CD-SR80.... and I'd like to know how to determine what codes it sends... My only real IR hardware is my Palm (Kyocera 6035 Phone)... Omniremote. Is this enough?

Thanks,
Douglas.

(Now my car radio runs Linux, and my cellphone runs PalmOS... what next?)

Posted by: Dearing

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 30/05/2001 06:08

If it sends IR codes that the empeg can understand, you can "read" the values with Frank's IR-Trace program. It writes the Decimal code to the Terminal (STDERR, right?), or you can use a shell script and Blitecho (also Frank's) to write the Decimal codes to the empeg display. Once you know the codes, you can remap them to the empeg's remote buttons with Frank's IR-Hack Kernel (He's been busy, hasn't he? ).
That is, only if the IR Freqs are compatible.
I've done this same thing with my remote, so if you need help, let us know!
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."
Posted by: dmallory

CD-SR80 Codes - 30/05/2001 16:41

Okay, I'm doing this the hard way... But I'll have the codes for the SR80 shortly. (Talk about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps... I used to know how to use Linux. Evidently I forgot.)
-
Douglas

Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 01/06/2001 03:08

I have a cd-sr77 and franks kernal which maps only 5 buttons could some one either give a complete moron guide to compiling a kernal what ever that means with extra buttons or map one for me and i can then upload it to me empeg.

Thanks

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 01/06/2001 06:21

I didn't know there was such a limit on IR_Trans? Do you mean that your empeg_irCodes (Or whatever file is being cat'ted to /dev/ir) only contains 5 remappings? It's my understanding that you can remap any codes you want, one per "OEM Remote" button. All you need is to write more lines to the IRCodes file. How many buttons does the SR77 have?

_~= Dearing =~_

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 01/06/2001 06:26

Paul,
didn't you receive my email? I'll put a new kernel up this weekend...

Frank van Gestel

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 01/06/2001 08:36

Thanks frank you are a hero i got an email but couldn't find any words in it but i am a computing moron

Posted by: dmallory

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 03/06/2001 21:56

I've gotten things going, and now need real help.

First: IRdump is giving me output I can't translate. See below. How does one map from this data to the codes shown above? Second: I can't get the empeg to respond to IR other than directly and closely in front of the receptor. This is with the two car remotes, and my home receiver remote (something I know has perfect batteries and great range.) I've never really used the remote before, but I can't imagine any wheel remote position working... Any ideas/suggestions?

Many thanks,
DM.

empeg:/empeg/bin# irdumpex (Kenwood Volume Up)
>80493add<
>c0000169<
>8001614c<
>c000025f<
>800bd019<
>c00001df<
>800055c8<
>c0000141<
>80001467<
>c000019e<

empeg:/empeg/bin# irdumpex (Pioneer SR80 Volume up)
>80ac8038<
>c0000091<
>8008f9b6<
>c000009a<
>800c3368<
>c000007d<
>801ed0c7<
>c00000a4<

Re: CD-SR80 Codes - 04/06/2001 07:38

I'm not familiar with IRDump, but is it returning the "Raw Mode" signals? If so, try not using Raw Mode, and just get a single Decimal value for each button press.

_~= Dearing =~_

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 04/06/2001 17:38

I've made two new 1.03 kernels : one which has default codes from lars (wire) for the cd-sr70 and one for the cd-sr77, with default codes from paul (thinfourth). It's got multiple timers, so you can set a timeout per code. Default timeout=100ms. syntax of inputfile:

# comment line; required; do not delete
[old code]:[new code]:[repeat interval in ms]
etc..

kernels can be found here
I will try to setup a more complete package in the near future...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/06/2001 02:11

frank,
I have REALLY fallen behiond on this. Am i to take it that the timing issues are now resolved?

What about a complete idiots guide to setting up the keys propoerly, for those of us that are to thick/have no time to figure this all out.

I appreciate all of your work on this, i was one of the original people bitchign about it. I have been enjoying that remote now for some time, and i just wante dto also say , thanks.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/06/2001 03:03

timing issues should be solved. You can create different timeouts for different buttons, which is kind of funny: set up 100ms for volume up and 10 seconds for volume down.
I've created a 1.03beta3 subdir on my site with a modified readme, which should be sufficient to get you going... It also explains what the default button mapping is...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/06/2001 03:19

Excellent frank it works like a dream

Thanks as always for your brilliance

Posted by: 753

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/06/2001 08:31

timing issues should be solved. You can create different timeouts for different button

Thanks Frank, much apreciated.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 06/06/2001 20:53

frank, i have some problems.

In the first rev which i had.. i think it was 1.02 i could use it ok, teh timing was fast for the next/previous button.

Now that i installed the 1.03 patched kernel, it is only accepting one button hit per like.. 2 mins. I installed it as you ahd it... is this a timing issue? I sorta thought it might be a low battery, so i replaced it, but it wasn't that.

FWIW same thing happened in version , but not as frequently. It seems like the more it plays the more confused it gets. I have no probs with the stock remote.
Any thoughts>?

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 07/06/2001 16:27

nothing?

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 07/06/2001 17:23

kindof busy...
Reply tomorrow. First sleep...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 09/06/2001 01:21

thanks, when youg et a chance, just curious. could it have corrupted some sort of a data file ncessary duiring the upgrade?

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 11/06/2001 03:00

Well, it seems I have been sleeping more than one day
I will patch the beta6 source and include the source patch, maybe I'm doing something stupid with the timers...
Are you using the kernel with or without the empeg_ircodes file?
The default kernel without the empeg_ircodes should provide you with a default button-mapping.
I've tried the empeg_ircodes file with 15 mappings for my home-remote without problems...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 11/06/2001 10:34

Thanks Frank for your ongoing efforts, I look forward to your new patch too. I have been without my remote for three days now and it's killing me ha ha.

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/06/2001 19:38

i am using the 1.03 as it was in default config. It is just strange because this problem was present from teh word go, but just no where near like in the 1.03 kernel. i honestly can only get about push every 2 mins or so right now.. i wonder if something got hatcheted in my upgrade, maybe i will redo it.. thanks for your help..

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 13/06/2001 23:42

Wait a few days for my new kernel; the 1.03b6 IR-code has significantly changed and timers aren't necessary anymore. I've got my universal remote to simulate a pioneer remote, so I know now why the timer hack wasn't workable.

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 14/06/2001 12:43

wow , thanks frank, you rule, as usual./

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 15/06/2001 14:08

why not just wait till 1.03 final next week :)

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 12:32

I don't suspect there will be major changes in the ir-driver for 1.03 final, so here is a new version for 1.03rc1.
Since the IR-driver has changed, all IR-codes have changed also. I've setup a table for the kenwood and rio remote :

Kenwood old Kenwood new Rio new
-----------------------------------------------------
IR_0 0x0000B900 | 0x00B94600 | 0x0020DF0D
IR_1 0x0000B901 | 0x00B94601 | 0x0020DF00
IR_2 0x0000B902 | 0x00B94602 | 0x0020DF01
IR_3 0x0000B903 | 0x00B94603 | 0x0020DF02
IR_4 0x0000B904 | 0x00B94604 | 0x0020DF04
IR_5 0x0000B905 | 0x00B94605 | 0x0020DF05
IR_6 0x0000B906 | 0x00B94606 | 0x0020DF06
IR_7 0x0000B907 | 0x00B94607 | 0x0020DF08
IR_8 0x0000B908 | 0x00B94608 | 0x0020DF09
IR_9 0x0000B909 | 0x00B94609 | 0x0020DF0A
IR_TRACK_MINUS 0x0000B90A | 0x00B9460A | 0x0020DF10
IR_TRACK_PLUS 0x0000B90B | 0x00B9460B | 0x0020DF11
IR_AM_INFO 0x0000B90C | 0x00B9460C | 0x0020DF14
IR_FM_VISUAL 0x0000B90D | 0x00B9460D | 0x0020DF15
IR_PROG_HUSH 0x0000B90E | 0x00B9460E | 0x0020DF16
IR_DIRECT_SEARCH 0x0000B90F | 0x00B9460F | 0x0020DF0E
IR_VOL_PLUS 0x0000B914 | 0x00B94614 | 0x0020DF13
IR_VOL_MINUS 0x0000B915 | 0x00B94615 | 0x0020DF17
IR_STAR_CANCEL 0x0000B91B | 0x00B9461B | 0x0020DF0C
IR_TUNER_SRC 0x0000B91C | 0x00B9461C | 0x0020DF03
IR_TAPE_TUNER 0x0000B91D | 0x00B9461D | 0x0020DF07
IR_CD_MODE 0x0000B91E | 0x00B9461E | 0x0020DF0B
IR_CDMDCH_SOUND 0x0000B91F | 0x00B9461F | 0x0020DF0F
IR_DNPP_MENU 0x0000B95E | 0x00B9465E | 0x0020DF12

If someone would like to add the new codes for the pioneer remotes, I can create some kernels with correct mappings.
You do not need trace_ir for this; I've added a way to display them on serial when the player reads the codes.
type the following in the shell to enable verbose IR-reporting :

# echo '#1' > /proc/empeg_ir

to disable it :

# echo '#0' > /proc/empeg_ir

Before any codes are shown, there must first be a listener on /dev/ir. just quit the shell to restart the player-app to accomplish this.
You can also type :

# cat /dev/ir > /dev/null

IR-code tables should also be catted to /proc/empeg_ir instead of /dev/ir
You can show the currently loaded translation table by typing :

# cat /proc/empeg_ir

displayserver hack is also in there. works the same as usual...

kernel can be found
here

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 16:10

thanks frank. So have you setup the default mapping as you had it previously? was that the problem, that the ir stuff had changed?

thanks for your time and help, i am an idiot in unix..so you lost me a bit, especially since i am new to the empeg too.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 16:10

oopsie, forbidden message when trying to get the new kernel. :(

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 17:20

no not yet. I don't know the new codes for the pioneer remote. I'm waiting for someone to install the kernel on a developer image and read the codes from the remote... Once people send me the codes I will recompile and put two new images on the site for download.
let's try linking again : http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/ir_irans_kernel/1.03rc1
or like this : ir_trans_kernel

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 18:07

getting there now.

so i need to install the image, then follow the directions for creating the button mapping, if i am using the 77 model. Gotcha, i will try to stumble through. I can try to send you the codes, i will have a look and see.

You mentioned display server is also patched into this conrrect? so i can do it all from my main pc.

Sorry, i don't mean to sound like such an idiot, i am trying :)

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 17/06/2001 23:19

i have the logging enabled, and i can see the key presses, but how do i get the printout list of the commands as they are sent? is it just a txt file i need to d/l from teh empeg?

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 02:03

the output of the logging should look something like this :

0x00B94600 -> 0x00B94600
0x80B94600 -> 0x80B94600

Above output is shown when pressing zero on the kenwood remote
the first line is the button down code, the second the button up.
what you should do is write down all button down codes and fill them in, in the following table :

old code new code
-------------------------------------------------------
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_ATT | 0x0000AD0C | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_SRC | 0x0000AD1A | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_CD | 0x0000AD1E | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_UP | 0x0000AD40 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_DOWN | 0x0000AD41 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_LEFT | 0x0000AD42 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_RIGHT | 0x0000AD43 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_BOTTOM | 0x0000AD12 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_VOL_PLUS | 0x0000AD0A | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR70_VOL_MINUS | 0x0000AD0B | |
|---------------------------|------------|------------|
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_ATT | 0x0000AD0C | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_BAND | 0x0000AD12 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_SRC | 0x0000AD1A | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_UP | 0x0000AD40 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_DOWN | 0x0000AD41 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_LEFT | 0x0000AD42 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_RIGHT | 0x0000AD43 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_FUNC | 0x0000AD19 | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_AUDIO | 0x0000AD0D | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_VOL_PLUS | 0x0000AD0A | |
| IR_PIONEER_SR77_VOL_MINUS | 0x0000AD0B | |
-------------------------------------------------------

to try your mappings, create a file using notepad on your PC like this :

# required line for IR-translation table
0x[code for volume up]:0x00B94614
0x[code for volume down]:0x00B94615

mount the root disk of the empeg read-write by using command:

# rw
# cd /tmp

use "Send file" in hyperterm to send the file you just created.
use command to make mapping active :

# cat [filename of created file] > /proc/empeg_ir
# ro

type the following to check if the mappings are loaded:

# cat /proc/empeg_ir

this should give the following output :

Valid sequences: 0
Repeated sequences: 0
Unfulfilled repeats: 0
Malformed sequences: 0
Spurious transitions: 0
Missed interrupts: 231
Timings buffer hwm: 64

Infrared Translation Table
HEX DEC
---------------------------
0x[code for volume up] -> 0x00B94614
0x[code for volume down] -> 0x00B94615

type exit on the prompt to exit the shell and restart the player.
the volume-up and down buttons of the pioneer remote should work now...
NOTE: You will lose the IR-mappings when you cycle power...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 04:06

ok, when i enable logging, then what is next? the cat command? when i do that i get no translation table....where am i supposed to view teh output of a keypress? I can see that it is being absorbed, but i cannot see the mapping numbers?

Edited by rockstar on 18/06/01 12:21 PM.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 04:10

am i supposed to be viewing this through displayserver?

i guess what i am saying is, i follow what to do with the coded.. i just don't know how to get the codes. I have turned on logging, but i am stuck on waht to do from there, which is why i am guessing displayserver?

Edited by rockstar on 18/06/01 12:24 PM.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 04:37

You've got to use hyperterm; type 'q' to get to the shell. Codes are shown in hyperterm. You do not need displayserver at all.
checklist :
- connect empeg to PC with serial cable
- start hyperterm on PC
- reboot empeg
- after boot-messages in hyperterm press 'q' to get to a shell-prompt
- type :

# echo '#1' > /proc/empeg_ir
# exit

- the player should restart
- press some buttons on the remote or one of the front-panel buttons of the empeg
- the following should be shown in hyperterm when pushing the front-panel buttons 'right' and then 'left':

Shell exit
Starting player
empeg-car 1.03beta6.
2 -> 2
3 -> 3
3 -> 3
4 -> 4
5 -> 5
5 -> 5

the output means :
[code received by IR-driver] -> [code sent to player]

To use the codes in a map file, you should notate them with 0x in front, so 2 would be 0x00000002

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 04:40

ahh, i didn't realize i needed to enable it, restart and then NOT enter shell again, sorry for my idiocy.

Earlier i had an eff up, for some reason my empeg wouldn't get past my boot logo.. i reinstalled the consumer 1.03 rc1, then i reinstalled 1.03 dev rc1

then i reinstalled your dev rc1

thing is, it was strange, it wouldn't let me overwrite teh kernel,, everything showed successful, but it took the use of the consumer 1.03 rc1 to get it back to normal.. main question is, how do i now verify that this is indeed your kernel on here, is it annotated in the boot sequence anywhere.

sorry, i know, another new b ?

Edited by rockstar on 18/06/01 12:52 PM.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 05:15

12 years later and after feeling like an idiot, here are the new codes.

IR_PIONEER_SR77_ATT 0x0000AD520C
IR_PIONEER_SR77_BAND 0x0000AD5212
IR_PIONEER_SR77_SRC 0x0000AD521A
IR_PIONEER_SR77_UP 0x0000AD5240
IR_PIONEER_SR77_DOWN 0x0000AD5241
IR_PIONEER_SR77_LEFT 0x0000AD5242
IR_PIONEER_SR77_RIGHT 0x0000AD5243
IR_PIONEER_SR77_FUNC 0x0000AF5067
IR_PIONEER_SR77_AUDIO 0x0000AD520D
IR_PIONEER_SR77_VOL_PLUS 0x0000AD520A
IR_PIONEER_SR77_VOL_MINUS 0x0000AD520B

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 07:27

I've put two new kernels on my site. Try them to see if they work...

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 18/06/2001 12:08

77 WORKS LIK A CHAMP!!

Thanks for doing that, and for dealing with my lack of knowledge, it seems to be working PERFECTLY, with just a PERFECT delay. You are the man frank!

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/07/2001 15:36

Hey Frank... Do you have a patch for the 1.03 irtrans with variable repeat timers? The file http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/ir_trans_kernel/1.03rc1/irtrans1.03rc1.patch doesn't seem to have this functionality in it. I wrote my own repeat timer modification to the IRtrans in previous versions, but I'm not familiar enough with the new IR kernel code to pull it off, and since you've already figured it out... I know you have the two kernels for the SR70 and SR77 with the repeat timers, but I couldn't locate a patch for it.

Thanks.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/07/2001 15:45

The timer thing shouldn't be necessary. The rc1 kernel will only send the first button-down code it receives and waits for a button-up code before accepting a new one. This way the repeat-rate is the same as the empeg/rio remotes, which should suffice I guess. If you still want the patch for the timer thing, I can try to supply a patch.

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/07/2001 15:55

Well, what I'm trying to do is have a different repeat rate for my FF/Rewind keys than the rate for my other keys. The FF/Rew goes in 10 second increments with the new code. I had it working with modifications to your previous IR trans kernels such that searches were in one second increments but were still quick due to a high repeat rate. I know it's picky... If you don't have the timer code lying around anymore then don't worry about it.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/07/2001 16:26

attached is a file which has the code in it.

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 01/07/2001 16:51

Cool, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: srhodes

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 02/09/2001 12:48

I've just bought a Pioneer remote: CD-SR80. I've looked at all the other messages, assigned the IR codes for the buttons and it works fine ... until I cycle the power and then the remote stops working. How do I get it to keep the codes?

Steve - 18GB Mk II Sssmokey

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 03/09/2001 15:00

Uh, guess I should add some more information. I'm using the developer 1.03 and have applied the clock, irhack, voladj, 1drive kernel from Drakino's(?) page. I've re-read the posts in this thread and am more than a little confused as to how I get the empeg to use the new codes that I have identified. Do I have to put them in a file that is read at boot time ( I take it /proc/empeg_ir gets refreshed ) or do I need to compile a kernel with them in?

While on the subject, perhaps someone could explain this: I thought if you cat a file it merely displays the contents on screen. What I don't understand is that if I cat my translation file to /proc/empeg_ir then when I cat /proc/empeg_ir I would expect it to only display the contents of this file which should be a replica of the original file as I am replacing the file and not appending to it. However, a cat /proc/empeg_ir reveals extra header information. Where does this come from?

Posted by: bonzi

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 03/09/2001 16:08

While on the subject, perhaps someone could explain this: I thought if you cat a file it merely displays the contents on screen. What I don't understand is that if I cat my translation file to /proc/empeg_ir then when I cat /proc/empeg_ir I would expect it to only display the contents of this file which should be a replica of the original file as I am replacing the file and not appending to it. However, a cat /proc/empeg_ir reveals extra header information. Where does this come from?

Somebody else will probably be able to provide details, but raughly speaking /proc filesystem is magical: files there are not 'real', but serve as interface to various drivers, 'window' into various kernel tables etc. So, each file has its own particular behaviour and meaning, both when written to and read from.

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 04/09/2001 11:01

While on the subject, perhaps someone could explain this: I thought if you cat a file it merely displays the contents on screen. What I don't
understand is that if I cat my translation file to /proc/empeg_ir then when I cat /proc/empeg_ir I would expect it to only display the contents of this
file which should be a replica of the original file as I am replacing the file and not appending to it. However, a cat /proc/empeg_ir reveals extra
header information. Where does this come from?

Somebody else will probably be able to provide details, but raughly speaking /proc filesystem is magical: files there are not 'real', but serve as
interface to various drivers, 'window' into various kernel tables etc. So, each file has its own particular behaviour and meaning, both when written to
and read from.

That's right.With a default kernel, the /proc/empeg_ir entry is displaying the "header" information. I just added the translation-table at the end and wrote a function that reads from /proc/empeg_ir for input.
To set a custom translation-table, you should add a line in your init script which cats a file containing the translation-table to /proc/empeg_ir :

cat /tmp/ir_transtable > /proc/empeg_ir

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 04/09/2001 15:25

[sigh] So, here I am again, cap in hand, asking for help [/sigh]

I tried this 'oh so simple' task of just adding a line to my init file but it was too difficult for me.

I echoed the cat command to append to the init file, which worked but a reboot failed to activate the codes.

As I have DisplayServer installed and I noticed that it calls the original init file I thought that I would try to put the cat command before the DisplayServer calls. I couldn't do this on the empeg so I copied the parts of the file to notepad, inserted my cat command and sent the file to the empeg. Unfortunately, I hadn't noticed the message that popped up when I set the unit to rw that made mention of having to run some 2fsck command. I rebooted my empeg and could only get up to the following prompt:

init-2.03#

Cursing my incompetence I ended up reinstalling a new image and adding the required kernel hacks. To be sure, I entered emplode, deleted a track and synched which took quite a while. I figured it was stupid trying to add the cat command before the original init gets loaded cuz the IR codes probably get overwritten again. So, I'm back to an init file that likes look this:

#!/bin/bash
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,rw /proc
/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
[ -e /proc/ide/hdb ] && /bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hdc4 /drive1

cd /usr/local/displayserver
./displayserver
exec /sbin/init.before_displayserver
cat /tmp/CDSR80_IR.txt > /proc/empeg_ir

Should I be adding something to this file or to the original init file that gets called from it? Not something I think I really want to do after looking at it.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 04/09/2001 17:03

the cat command should be placed after the mount-commands and before execing the original init.
one way to do it is :

# rw
# echo'#!/bin/bash' > /sbin/init.new
# echo '/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,rw /proc' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo '/bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hda4 /drive0' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo '[ -e /proc/ide/hdb ] && /bin/mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hdc4 /drive1 ' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo 'cat /tmp/CDSR80_IR.txt > /proc/empeg_ir ' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo 'cd /usr/local/displayserver' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo './displayserver' >> /sbin/init.new
# echo 'exec /sbin/init.before_displayserver' >> /sbin/init.new
# chmod +x /sbin/init.new
# ro

now test your new init :

# /sbin/init.new

this will give an error message if displayserver is already loaded, but your mappings should be read and the player started.
If you're sure the new init works, stop the player app again and replace the old init with your new init:

# rw
# mv /sbin/init.new /sbin/init
# ro

and reboot your empeg.

Frank van Gestel

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/09/2001 02:58

Many thanks Frank. That's where I had tried to put the command before everything went horribly wrong. I'll try it again tonight when I get home.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/09/2001 15:41

'tis done ... finally! Although, should I worry about the following error which I get when I set my unit to rw:

EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended

I got this last time I tried to edit the init file, but it went away after a re-install of the 1.03 software. I have made some amendments on my playlists and synched but it doesn't go away.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/09/2001 15:44

This error means you didn't mount the disks read-only after you were done messing with them. Gotta remember to do that.

Do a search on "e2fsck" to look up how to deal with it.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/09/2001 16:05

This error means you didn't mount the disks read-only after you were done messing with them. Gotta remember to do that.

I thought that this happened automatically when the power was recycled. Once again I am proved wrong.

Do a search on "e2fsck" to look up how to deal with it.

Yes, I really must get into the habit of doing this first. The trouble is, we all know that a) any new message is flagged automatically to your desktop which you never leave and b) you'll have the answer straight away.

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 05/09/2001 16:29

HEY! That's NOT FAIR!!!!

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 06/09/2001 15:43

I thought it was a complement!

Go on, deny it!

Murray 06000047
Just increasing my post count

yippee three pages, c'mon, only a few more posts til this is the longest ever!

Edited by muzza on 06/09/01 11:47 PM.

Posted by: smu

Re: Pioneer steering wheel remote works - 07/09/2001 03:11

yippee three pages, c'mon, only a few more posts til this is the longest ever!

What the hell are you talking about? Yours is longer than mine or what?

cu,
sven

PS: I think I know what you are talking about, but its still damn early (just 12:10pm), and I didn't know what else I could post in this thread.
PPS: But I agree with you: Tony is about the best living empeg encyclopedia I know about. ;-)

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)