Shipping to US

Posted by: gui

Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 07:36

I am selling my empeg to someone in the US. I believe that there is a customs classification that can be used to avoid import duties, delays etc etc.

Does anyone know what I need to put on the form (I wasn't able to find a definitive answer on the BBS)?

Many thanks

Phil

Posted by: tfabris

Re: Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 08:20

It took me a minute to remember the word Rob used when he posted the code on this BBS. My first search on "customs" didn't produce a result. The phrase I needed to search on was, strangely, "harmonized code". I only remembered it because I had never heard of it before. The link to the posting with the correct code is here. Enjoy!

Tony Fabris
Empeg #144
Posted by: gui

Re: Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 08:26

I'm glad it wasn't just me - I *knew* I'd seen it somewhere - what a memory...

There are no US import duties on the empeg car player if you specify Harmonized Code 8471 5030 00 when shipping. The commodity is zero rated.
Rob

Is this all I have to put on the customs declaration?

I've never sold anything abroad without it being a 'gift' before ;-)

Phil

Posted by: rob

Re: Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 09:54

You'll have to include a commercial invoice. If you ship with FedEx or one of the other large carriers they should have some blanks for you to fill in.

Rob

Re: Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 09:57

Oh, yeah, there are two other things as well. You'll need FCC and FDA declarations otherwise it'll get stuck in customs. If you email me your fax number and name/address of the recipient I can send completed forms to you - it's a lot less hassle than struggling with the blank forms.

Rob

Posted by: TommyE

Re: Shipping to US - 25/04/2000 12:08

Tony do you happen to know what 'harmonized code nnnnn' is?
Does this apply to other countries as well??

TommyE

Posted by: Henno

Re: Shipping to US - 26/04/2000 05:40

You'll need FCC and FDA declarations

Rob, who is to sign these forms?

Henno
# 00120

Re: Shipping to US - 26/04/2000 08:10

In theory the recipient signs the forms, but in practice I don't think they usually get signed at all.

We don't sign them when shipping goods and we haven't had any problems.

Rob

Posted by: Henno

Re: Shipping to US - 26/04/2000 09:22

Thanks, great help, as usual

Henno
# 00120