Rio Car Announcement

Posted by: rob

Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 07:58

A statement was due to be released to consumers later this week, however as this information has leaked (in part) I am going to post to the BBS immediately. Please note that the text below may not exactly reflect the official statement, which will be posted at an official web site and through other communication channels. Therefore this should be considered an unofficial statement - but from the horses mouth as it were.

I will add a personal perspective to this in a separate post and answer specific concerns as they are posted.

SONICblue's Future Plans For Car Audio Developments

Following a reassessment of its technology and its primary business focus, SONICblue has decided to change its plans in the car audio market. SONICblue feels that the car audio market, being dominated by high volume production companies, will always be a difficult one to break into with leading edge products in the quantities that make such developments economically viable. Therefore, it has decided not to continue with plans to become a car audio aftermarket brand, other than developments that may grow from its portable-player base to be sold through its existing channels.

The Future

Despite its withdrawal from the aftermarket, SONICblue is now actively working with partners within the automotive industry - car manufacturers, audio component suppliers and existing aftermarket brands - to bring the advances made in SONICblue products such as the Rio car to the wider automotive market. SONICblue recognises that for compressed audio to be widely adopted within the automotive industry, car manufacturers will need to adopt technology which integrates fully into current and future car systems. SONICblue have already developed such a product in partnership with a major component supplier and will continue to push the boundaries of in-car music systems.

The Rio Car Player

SONICblue's current aftermarket product, the Rio Car, remains the most advanced car player available and will continue to be sold through their e-stores until inventory is exhausted. This is likely to be within the next 3 months.

Non USA: http://www.empeg.com/store/
USA: http://store.sonicblue.com/

All warranties and support will continue, as will the development of new software, which is important for SONICblue's goals of integrated products and its work with the automotive industry.

For further information, contact: [email protected]

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 08:09

The first point I want to make is that software development for the car player is not going to be dropped. We are releasing 2.0 builds to the alpha team this week, and hope to get an early Beta out as soon as next week. After that we will continue to add features and fix bugs with small but frequent updates, just like the old days.

It has been suggested that the code should be open sourced - there's no chance of this happening, as the codebase is still of great value to SONICblue. It is crucial for both our automotive and home audio strategy.

Rob

Posted by: Terminator

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 08:12

Wow. This is very disappointing. My condolences to everyone in the empeg family. Any idea how many mk2s have been sold since release? All this after the tuner has just come out within the last month. Are there any plans to sell the hardware design to someone else? Are the plans for voice recognition going forward?

Best of luck to everyone that got laid off.

Sean

Posted by: Taym

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 08:39

May I ask what does this exactly mean?
If I am not mistaken, this means:

1) Empeg no longer produced
2) Guarantee and support still valid and operating
3) Possible future restarting of the empeg project in partnership with other major aftermarkket car-stereo companies.

Right?

I am very disapponted with SonicBlue.

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923
Posted by: altman

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 08:50

It's not "possible restarting", we've been working with other car audio manufacturers for a while. (1) and (2) are correct though, with the addendum that the empeg/rio-car software is still in active development, showcasing our IP and testing out new concepts.

It's unlikely that any major manufacturer would produce something as geek-friendly as the empeg/rio-car though - the market in general is simply not willing to pay for (for example) ethernet on a car stereo. This sort of thing usually never leaves the engineering department's workbench - however, in a freak accident involving slashdot, the empeg-car escaped :)

The empeg/rio-car as-is sells only to a small niche of the car audio market - where geeks and audiophiles intersect. The very fact it ever happened is because we (at empeg) wanted to make a cool toy - we only originally planned to make 100 of them.

If we'd been really commercially minded (as empeg) we would have made a rather boring, functional box that did the job and nothing else. We probably would have sold a pile more of them, but it would have been a lot less fun - both for us and our customers.

In the future, the freedom and flexibility you see in the empeg-car will just be taken for granted; it'll become a baseline feature of cars. You're just several years ahead of the game ;)

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:18

I am speechless. Hugo, tahnk you for the high consideration you have all of us here. Non need to sat that it is definitely recirpocal.
Still, I can't help being sad for such a nice project to be even just partially shut down. Empeg will become a sort of collectible, and probably high priced in the secondary market.
Too good to be for everyone, it seems.

Well... Good luck to all of you, an thank you again for the great service you offered and are still offering to all of us.

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:22

Anyone who is "on the fence" about purchasing a player... I don't know what to tell you except that any player to be released by another company will most certainly NOT have the flexibility of the empeg/RioCar and will have MUCH stricter copy-protection. I am guessing that software updates will not be possible because USB will most likely be the only connection. (FWIW: As far as I know, Sony has only had ONE product in all its history - a high end home audio processor - that had a data port for software upgrades. Also, as far as I know, there have never been any software updates in the few years it was made.)

What I'm worried about is if my faceplate cracks or chips, or if I want a second sled, or if my buttons wear out.... I'm toast.

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:29

We sold about 1000 Mk.2 players (empeg branded) and rather fewer Mk.2A (Rio) players so far. We expect a final userbase of around 3000 Rio Car players, as it seems likely the remaining stock will be bought up very quickly following the EOL announcement.

Rob

Posted by: smu

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:35

Hi.

I'm really confused by this whole decision. I simply can't find the reasoning behind it. If it is true that the software development for the empeg/riocar is continueing (how long?), the only cost that is involved with selling the empeg is the cost of actually producing the units and the cost of the shop. Now if SonicBlue is not selling the empeg at a price below their own costs, further production of the unit and further selling of it would not lead to a loss but to a gain in revenue, not?
If I understand the whole process of producing and selling the empeg correctly, then there are the following five things involved:
  1. Hardware development: Done, nothing to do anymore if not for a successor.

2. Software development: Not finished yet, but this will not be stopped anyway, as the statement stands

3. Production of the units: This is stopped

4. Selling of the units: This will be stopped as soon as they are out of stock

5. Costumer service: This is said to continue

Ok, what did I miss?

Anyhow: I'm really disappointed by this decission. The tuners just got available and the unavailability of those was a major drawback on empeg sales as far as my friends are concerned. Contracts with large distributors were just signed some months ago, obviously no large scale marketing efforts were made to introduce the empeg/riocar to the market. What did SonicBlue expect? Did they already plan to stop riocar production when purchasing empeg Ltd?
What bugs me most is that I just made some free time available to actually start the development of an empeg based navigation system, and thought that such a system would really make the empeg/riocar a killer device for everyones car. But now I really don't see any reason to develop such a system anymore, there just won't ever be a market for it, if riocar sales are stopped. Not that I wanted to make money by selling the system (it was going to be strictly open-source as far as possible), but if there are only 3000 or so riocars out there, how many of those owners would want a navigation system on it, or how many of those owners would help developing it?

frustrated,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:52

There are a number of reasons behind the EOL. These include:

1. Very low margin (very high production costs)
2. Low level of sales, both online and in retail
3. Much of the tooling is now worn out (empeg could only afford soft tools) and retooling isn't cost effective given (1) and (2)

It has been our intention for ages to drop the Mk.2A after the current production batch, and we were some way into the design of the Mk.3. What became clear is that SONICblue don't have the production and marketing resources necessary for a consumer automotive product. What we DO have are some great designs and some great software - OEM arrangements are the obvious solution.

Rob

Posted by: Derek

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 09:59

Well I definitely want a navigation system on mine!

(list 6284, Mk1 S/N 00299 4GB blue [for sale]. Mk2 S/N 080000094 26GB blue)

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:00

Yes, the Riocars are selling at a profit. However, there is a significant amount of capital investment in stock, and people's time in manufacturing to keep making these. None have in fact been made for several months.

The company has seen a lot of rationalisation, and part of this process is concentrating on products which offer the best return. Though good margins are made on the rio-car, the sales volume is very low, especially when compared to their other product lines.

A nav system would be very nice, and I would suspect that the several thousand owners would both appreciate it and also be the most likely people to help you developing it; the wider market just wants to buy working stuff, not self-assembly kits.

Looking into the future, aftermarket car audio is going to become a very hard sell as installation becomes a bigger and bigger issue with custom dashboards, close integration with car systems, etc. Getting the technology into the car as it leaves the factory is the best way to reach the market.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:02

Yep, makes sense. You guys have been telling us for a long time now how expensive the things are to produce.

Before everyone gets overly excited about the now still born Mk3, it was supposed to be a more a high volume oriented unit without all the cool geek bits that the Mk2 has wasn't it?

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:05

The buttons are off-the-shelf items, and as for button caps... we have about 1000 spares here :)

We also have good stocks of faceplaces (including blue when they arrive from the coating company). Sleds are also coming into stock now, as you can see on the EU store.

Hugo

Posted by: tigloo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:14

Well, needed some time to reply to this, even though I don't have much to say.

I am very sad to hear these news, I must say that the Empeg was a product that just completely matched me. It was perfect, it had even more than I expected and imagined. With its open design, I thought this would be an item that would last for years to come, and this was one of the main reasons to buy it, in spite of its high price.

All I can say is that I seriously hope for other companies to go into a similar direction, even though there is probably no hope for it, given the fact that "open design" seems to be feared by all major manufacturers like the devil fears the church.

Till

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:17

I'd seriously want a navigation system, too! Having access to a GPS and having such a cool thing in my car, this would be the ultimate combo.

I'd help out if I could, but I don't have any experience in that field. I could do the user interface. :)

Sven, don't drop the project!

Till

Posted by: loren

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:21

yoiks. ah well, all good things must come to an end... or a slow crawl at least. ya know what's scary.... i'm SERIOUSLY considering buying a new one and storing it in my closet just to have a backup. Hugo, is VR still continuing in development? I didn't see an answer to that question.

sad sad day. I was sooo looking forward to a full color nav capable VR controlled mind melding MkIII.

PS, i'd definitely help on a nav project. Like tigloo said... i could help on the interface or web site or server space no problemo.

|| loren.cox ||
Posted by: peter

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:27

the Empeg was a product that just completely matched me. It was perfect

Max Headroom?

Peter

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:50

The VR project is continuing, however if we are to bring it to existing owners at a reasonable cost we are going to have to either find a major OEM customer to cover the licencing, or come to an arrangement with the vendor.

We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 10:58

H-h-h-h-ow do you kn-n-n-ow?

tigl-l-l-loo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:06

however if we are to bring it to existing owners at a reasonable cost we are going to have to either find a major OEM customer to cover the licencing, or come to an arrangement with the vendor

Sorry, but just to clarify... a reasonable cost for SonicBlue or a reasonable cost for the customer?

|| loren.cox ||

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:17

That will depend on the criteria that I raised in my earlier post. Right now there is no budget for voice recognition, so we hope to either attract an OEM client with a VR requirement or persuade a vendor to work with us for various benefits we may be able to bring to them.

This isn't an issue until later in the project - we're working with eval licences at the moment.

Rob

Posted by: Dignan

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:23

Rob, I don't know if this was covered, but I have a question about the tuner. I was planning on getting a bit more cash on hand before buying one, and Im worried that not enough have been made for those who want one. How many were made?

And to people ordering them, are they going through now? I was also skeptical about the ordering process.

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:39

The first batch was 1000 units; I believe that if it looks like we'll be getting through these (and at the moment, it most definitely does) there are no issues with building more.

They are being shipped, though we don't have visibility on the US eStore stock levels. We've got plenty in the despatch room here though :)

Hugo

Posted by: jwtadmin

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:49

What about a "pre-purchase" contract for VR to fund 'custom' development.

i.e. 1000 of us pay $100 up front for VR development

john

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 11:55

I personally wouldn't be willing to pay that much for something that was promised as being included a LONG time ago. I don't mean to be all bitter about it, especially in light of the announcement, but it would suck to have to pay $100. I've sunk enough $ into this thing already! heheh.

|| loren.cox ||
Posted by: EngelenH

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 12:31

Just a question, to reassure my mind. Suppose the customer base decide to try and get a GPS (or for that matter some other extention to the standard player software) package working, can they count on help from the Empeg people.

What I mean is this, at some point or another to make a NAV or any other software addition possible or should I say useable it will have to be integrated in some way with the player software. Even if it is only just so they look and feel as one program (the plugin idea that was discussed in the past).

With this EOL decission (snif snif) I would like to get some idea on wether this is still something that we will see at some time. Considering software development is continueing I would think so but then on the other hand I would also think that SonicBlue would limit such development to things it can use in the RioCar AND other products (as opposed to JUST the RioCar).

I think a lot of us would feel more comfortable knowing such a plugin system will be designed, this way consumers could go on should SonicBlue ever decide stop new developments on the software side too.

Mk2 - Blue & Red - 080000431
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 12:54

ya know what's scary.... i'm SERIOUSLY considering buying a new one and storing it in my closet just to have a backup

I know what you mean. I've only got mine since last thursday and I'm already head over heals in love with it. I hope it will last forever, but I shouldn't be that naive.
Damn. If I hadn't bought one just last week I would consider it.

Riocar 10gig (for now) S/N : 10101747 amber
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 13:01

Greetings!

I know what you mean. See here.

Paul G.
SN# 090000587 (96GB Smoke)
Posted by: phaigh

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 13:15

Rob, to clarify, do you mean just for 2.0 or are we still talking about 3.0 and beyond?

I'm just thinking about about the Vorbis/AAC/WMA/WAV support, etc, and the visualisation library, etc.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 13:21

What help we can or cannot offer with such projects is unaffected by the announcement today. Such things are more influenced by whether or not you can excite Hugo and Mike with them!

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 13:47

Hmmm, in other words, we need to figure out what we can use to bribe them ...

What about a supply of red bull ?

Cheers.

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 14:31

Red Bull? You may get more leverage with a nice stout or porter.

32GB Mk. II in a WRX
Detroit, MI USA
www.PfeifferBeer.com

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 16:42

Red Bull? You may get more leverage with a nice stout or porter.

....or a crate of OREOS!!

|| loren.cox ||

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 17:48

Yay we're back! That was a fun slashdotting.

|| loren.cox ||
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 17:49

Any and all of which can be arranged...

Paul G.
Posted by: Dredd

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 17:50

Rob,

To be pedantic, it would require also that SonicBLUE permit you to help in such an effort, no? Now, this might continue to be the case, but with the purchase, all the intellectual property that you guys came up with belongs to them now, so they could (in theory) say "no, you may not make a nice modular interface for those users that want it", and even if Mike or Hugo might be sufficiently excited by the idea, it would still die of crib death.

That said, it'd be nice to know that either your previous message really is "the voice of the company" on that topic (I know, I know, no official voice of the company, just to know that if there WERE a voice of the company that it'd be saying the same thing ), or to know that the modular interface/API being talked about really is coming.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:03

There isn't really a them and us anymore. We're closely integrated with the rest of the company, and decisions regarding our development effort are dependent upon many factors. Given our extremely good track record for delivering to schedule (don't laugh, its true) we get a great deal of flexibility in how our time is organised.

Ultimately there must be a reason for everything we do, and I don't think anyone would expect it to be any different. The reason for continuing to develop the car software is simple - we're striving to secure contracts with some of the largest players in the industry. Having an installed userbase willing to test ideas and provide feedback is a huge advantage that our competitors do not have.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:06

42 anonymous users - gosh we are busy.

I got so bored while the BBS was down I actually resorted to posting to /. but I feel better now. Hmm, mustn't knock them, I doubt there would have been a car player as we know it without them.

Rob

Posted by: Jesus Christ

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:35

God Damnit.

That does it. Dad's coming by the planet to pick everyone up next week.

Jesus Christ
Queue #9666, Mark 2:7

Posted by: drakino

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:49

Rob, when will the replacement serial number stickers be sent out that say "Certificate of Authenticity, No. 1304 of 3000"

Posted by: digimark

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:51

I was shocked and greatly saddened by the news of the Empeg's EOL. I have a Mark 1 blue unit installed in my ML320 truck and its both my favorite tech toy and the thing I show off when people express interest in my truck. In fact, I just (today) purchased a Mark 2 unit from the US Rio store to put into the "shed" just in case (unless I am seduced to the dark side by its Ethernet port...)

Thank you to Hugo, Rob and everyone at the former Empeg Ltd.

A few questions please:

1. What is the expected lifetime of these units? (Both MK1 and MK2?) My assumption is that the buttons and the hard drives will go first. How long will there be ways to repair these? (I added a second, 18GB hard disk to my existing 6GB drive in my Mark 1, so I know how to swap the drives, and I have backups of my music, so the main concern is hardware repair -- soldering buttons, replacing displays, etc.)

2. Is there anything I should do to the Mark II I just ordered to make sure it is OK before I put it in the shed? (I'd hate to find it doesn't work a few years from now, when my Mark 1 wears out.)

3. Barring an accident or a voltage spike frying the components -- is there anything I can do to the Mark 1 to make it last longer now? Presumably this would apply to the Mark II as well.

One more observation -- you'll never know in advance if Rio decides to pull the plug on software development. I'd like to put in my request that a way to downgrade the software from the latest version always exists -- in the case that a last build comes out with major bugs and there isn't a chance to release a fix before the walls come tumbling down, we'll have a way of recovering to a stable build.

I'll continue to read the BBS (I'm mostly a lurker though) and will look forward to improvements and suggestions of new products. I wish all the Empeg people luck
in the future. -Gary

Posted by: andy

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 18:55

It's amazing just how few Slashdot users "get it". I guess that's the whole problem...

I did a bit of "fanatical" empeg defending there tonight, but I got bored very quickly.

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 19:23

Dunno about that, but I was rather pleased when we were able to buy back (or rather, swap back) player serial number 00001 recently.

Of course I have a Mk.1 with a name (Jemima) which is even better

Rob

Posted by: buts

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 19:31

your puting in some o/t tonight Rob

THANKS!

andrew butler
sn 08000176 6G amber
Posted by: muzza

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 20:59

just waded thru some fo the /. topics.

jebus there are a lot of heathens out there! I've never seen so many anonymous folk log on here. This is the type of publicity the empeg needed. Funny how things only really become famous after their death.

Well, only a lucky few wil find out the virtues of the empeg!

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 21:35

Rob
So im presuming that warranty/repairs will be honored right up till a year after the very last unit is sold?

Also what about spare parts would they be available for purchase? i.e. buttons, display board....etc

Posted by: bobo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 22:17

so there are more MK1's without a serial number but a name !?

my Mk1 is 000020 :-)

and I have no money for a mk2 until it rans out of stock :-(

bobo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 23:12

This is the type of publicity the empeg needed. Funny how things only really become famous after their death.

It was origionally a post on Slashdot that attracted me to Hugos MP3 Mobile page, back when I was dreaming up a car player, (and had some of the interface done on my HP48 calculator). And there have been many posts on it since then, and usually the same response in each. Oh well, we do all have to face the facts and accept that the empeg was aimed at a niche market. I'm just glad I had the chance to buy two of them. I guess tomorrow it's time to pressure a few "on the fence" people into a decision. Is the fleece offer still valid?

Posted by: dionysus

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 24/09/2001 23:20

>sigh< Just tried to purchase an extra remote & color faces for my empeg - the estore sucks - claims that my billing address doesn't match my credit card's address, even though I've purchased gazillions worth on this same credit card going to this same addrss:(
-mark

...Still (barely, pending 1.1/2.0/TeAsE release) proud to have owned an Empeg since 00287
Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 00:04

That thread on slashdot was ridiculous. Most of those people knew nothing of what they were talking about and even fewer could see the true value you got in your investment. I've never seen such a high level of satisfaction with a product before. And something is obviously flawed with the moderation system-- the posts by Rob himself were rated 1, 1, 1, and 2. Who could give greater insight?

On an entirely different note, I don't think I've vocalized the incredible sense of gratitude and appreciation I have toward the entire empeg team. Your product makes my day that much brighter every time it turns on. I wish there were something I could do to repay you, but even if I weren't a poor college student, nothing I could do would seem enough. Thanks for all you've done, and best of luck to you and the company.

John

30 GB - Mk2a (Rio Car) - BLUE / RED

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 00:07

Ah ha! So we're the guinea pigs for SBs development efforts are we! Well I suppose if there is a v3 and v4 of the software I could maybe forgive them , and how about short test runs of extremely inovative car audio products to test market acceptance for the OEMs ... ? Oh well, dreams are free I guess

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 01:05

1. Expected life is limited by HDD life (spin up/down cycles, probably), but these are off-the-shelf parts and easily replaceable. The buttons are unlikely to wear out. The display may get burn in after a long while if you stick to one info display.

2. Load up some tunes and check it out. Run it for 24 hours at least. They're all given a thrashing in the factory test rig, so there should be no issues - and we're not going anywhere! Even many years down the line I would expect that at least one of us (eg, me or Patrick) would still be selling spares and doing repairs as a hobby :)

3. The mk1 has more issues with the design than the mk2, the display is the most likely thing to have problems (due to voltage spikes). The mk2 PSUs are better protected. Again, not hard to fix and mk2 display boards will fit onto a mk1 if you remove the rotary control :)

You can currently downgrade software if you want, I suspect this capability won't be removed.

Hugo

Posted by: Amarth

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 01:30

Ahh.. The rationalizations most companies are going through...I was wondering how SonicBLUE actually had the guts (while being a company to product for the masses) to offer the market a high-end car mp3 player (which needs an external amp); probably it was more due to the codebase (maybe also human resources) as Rob pointed out..

Sad to see this happen, especially now that the tuner is finally available. Most of my acquintances were waiting for it to be released before purchasing an Empeg...guess we never can know now, huh?

The RioCAR player was a viable product, yes.. but only as far as it is (or was) being distributed "through the Internet" by a small company with a light monthly burn rate. Breaching into supply chains with such product is plain madness as it is years (although the technology to us may not be so brand new anymore) before its time and totally out of its fit in that league.

I also trust that no other company will be formed of what Empeg once was, as the code is "hogged" by SonicBLUE into other (lighter) products.

Amarth of BatMUD, mk2 something owner

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 01:49

Oh no, the codebase is going into other "heavier" products too :)

Hugo

Posted by: frog51

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 01:49

I bought one a year ago and loved it - except for the fact that it didn't have a tuner unit. I ended up selling it to my brother and he didn't fit it to his car - because it had no tuner unit! All our friends were waiting until the tuner came out to buy, as it won't be useful without it. He's just bought the tuner today. We all have cars with enough dash space for 1 module and we don't want to hide the empeg display or do without our radios. The price was reasonable to all of us and it is by far the best way to get vast quantities of music cheaply into your car. I have to say SonicBlue should try marketing this with tuner module (at least in the UK!) and see just how well it sells before pulling it. It should be advertised everywhere as it isn't just a geek toy - it is a plug'n'play device, and I'm sure that's what most people want.

Posted by: borislav

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 02:21

You can currently downgrade software if you want, I suspect this capability won't be removed.

I thought removing downgrade capability was impossible - by design.

Anyway, a sad day.

Borislav

Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 02:21

Back? I wasn't aware we went anywhere!

Regards

Paul

Posted by: dmz

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 02:22

ya know what's scary.... i'm SERIOUSLY considering buying a new one and storing it in my closet just to have a backup

Me too; actually, I'm seriously considering buying a Mk2a to complete my collection (in addition to the idea of having a backup, which is a good one - after all, what if it gets stolen or something despite taking all possible precautions?)...

It's sad to hear that the hardware - at least as we know it today - has been discontinued. I glanced at the Slashdot thread, even though I knew what I would find - a bunch of clueless people who all think that they can do it better, but haven't the slightest idea of the kind of work that's gone into the Empeg/Rio Car product over the years; or who think that having a pile of CDs in the car provides just as good an experience, when the experience of the Empeg is totally different from that of any other car audio product on the planet. There's just something about being able to say to a passenger "so, what do you want to hear," and then being able to just find it, almost instantaneously; or being able to play whatever you're in the mood for, without digging through piles of CDs. Thank you very much, guys@empeg, for changing forever the way I listen to music in my car; it's been worth every penny.

And of course, in addition to the wonderful experience of the product itself, there's the user community! We've got a bunch of great people here, and it has been (and will continue to be for quite a long time, I hope) a pleasure being here since September '99, even though most of the time I'm content to read what everybody else has to say... :)

Anyway, I just had to say something about the discontinuation - call it venting my frustration, or whatever. Can't wait to see the new software and continued development on whatever else the guys@empeg have in the pipeline...

-----
Daniel M. Zimmerman, Caltech Computer Science
Mk.2 #060000058, 36GB
Mk.1 #00101, 10GB
Posted by: mavantix

Uhhgg, Sept. 11th, and now this? - 25/09/2001 02:39

This news seemed likely about the time Empeg became Rio/SonicBlue, whatever. I feared something so horrible would happen. Having worked for companies that buy other companies, I've seen it all first hand. I wish all the Empeg'rs the best of luck!

I'm certainly not mad at the Empeg folks... In fact, the first time I had to use their tech support was just this month and I've owned my Empeg MK2 40GB since before they where bought. (I think I bought my Empeg in December) I've loved it from day one and wouldn't want anything else in my car stereo system for playing music. (Sorry guys, $2000 for on demand MP3's vs. $300 for some CD MP3 player... I don't think there should even be reason to compare, the $2000 is well worth it...to me!)

Amazingly, I haven't killed the MK2 with my subs (seven 10" subs in my truck, my car rattles *ALLOT*), so the shock proofing they did has paid off. In fact, one of the main reasons for the switch to an MP3 hard drive system, in my car, was because the high end Alpine skip proof CD head unit I have can't handle my car's massive amount of bass... the CD's would always skip on competition bass and quite a few "normal" songs!

As for keeping the code closed source, I'm ok with that, on one condition, they release updates. If it gets to the point where they are going to abandon support for us 3000 owners, then they need to give back to the community that built them into what they are/were. I guess only time will tell, but it's sad that the most likely option is that we will never see source code.

My only other concern is warranty, and upgrades. I'm sure soon enough, 40GB is not going to be enough. What are the limits to upgrading the drives in the unit? What is entailed, and how can we go about obtaining the necessary information to upgrade our units at some point? Obviously, this isn't something I'll think about until my warranty is void, but after that, I'm pretty much willing to have the largest capacity Empeg on the planet! Anyone have the information I'll need to accomplish this? Any of the Empeg guys willing to share the in's and out's and how-to's of swapping/replacing hard drives?

On to SonicBlue/Rio, I really have no respect for the belligerent assholes that run that company. I don't see how they can sit on a gold mine and throw it away because it's not cheap enough for the general populous?! The products they make (Rio Portable MP3 player for example, which I happen to own) are complete pieces of sh^H^Hcrap! I can't stand their pathetic tech support, crappy software, and poor product design. The Rio handheld scream poor design, and I don't know how they even got $200 for them when they came out. If any market could use digital audio, it's definitely the high margin car audio market. It's a shame that they didn't do a little more market research and technical partnering to turn the Empeg into the next "killer app" for car audio. It wouldn't have been hard... I'm sure companies like Alpine would jump at the chance to buy up OEM agreements for value priced components, like an Empeg-MP3 Jukebox to plug into Alpine's AI-Net. Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I know allot of people into car audio, and I know ever more people who love my Empeg... It's always the center of attention... Piss poor move SonicBlue!

Oh, and to that guy who was talking about GPS, etc, I'd love to support effort into that! I drooled over the Empeg geek site listing of the Palm/GPS solution, but I assume that never materialized! :(

MK 2 - 40GB - Green

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 02:44

The only possible problem with downgrading is if the database format changes; however, at the worst case this would involve removing the database files and doing a sync to restore them.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 03:03

The only possible problem with downgrading is if the database format changes; however, at the worst case this would involve removing the database files and doing a sync to restore them.

Oh, OK. I was assuming keeping backups elsewhere and re-uploading if things really go banana. Everybody does that, right?

Borislav

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 03:23

No, that shouldn't be necessary; we're very unlikely to change the format of the *1 (metadata) files - just add stuff to them (which will get ignored by older versions).

I meant the packed databases that get rebuilt at the end of every sync.

Hugo

Re: Uhhgg, Sept. 11th, and now this? - 25/09/2001 03:27

If you want to know how to upgrade you HDD(s) have a look in the FAQ section. Heaps of us have done it already.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 03:54

I no longer have any involvement with customer service, support or sales - but I assume that this would indeed be the case. I believe that a warranty is effectively a contract.

I don't know what's available for purchase, you'd have to ask support.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 04:12

Yes, we have plenty of fleeces left!

Rob

Posted by: andy

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 05:14

The BBS was just returning mySQL errors for a while after the Slashdot story was posted, it is still a little slow (unsurprisingly).

__
Unit serial number 47 (was 330 in the queue)...
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 05:38

The BBS was just returning mySQL errors for a while after the Slashdot story was posted, it is still a little slow (unsurprisingly).

Ah, that was that! So, mySQL does not seem to be a good choice for really heavy load?

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Q#5196, MkII#80000376, 18GB green
Posted by: trevorp

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 07:03

Wow, where do I start? I'm a professional lurker here, but I like it that way. Many people have more to say, and usually say it better than I can, but I too feel I have to say something.

I've had my Mk2 for over a year now, and have enjoyed every second of it. I'm a Network Administrator, so I work with people who should "get it." Some do, but some don't, and I'm just not sure why... I had an almost religious debate with one of my coworkers yesterday. He contended that the Creative Jukebox was a better solution, since it was portable, and had a battery pack. Then there's another guy I work with. He loves it, and we showed it to his wife. Now SHE wants one.

I guess it's hard to predict who will really "get it", but for those of us that have, we've had something great. Yes, I know SonicBlue will continue with the code base, and pursue OEM contracts, but nothing produced from this will ever be as flexible as what we currently own.

I wouldn't trade the empeg for anything, and I too am seriously considering purchasing a second unit as a backup. This is one of those products that is so good, I just assumed it would always be there. I am actually heartbroken over this announcement.

I am still happy for the guys formerly known as empeg. Without their commitment to a "geek" project, I would never have owned the best car audio system available.

Thank you.

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner 080000349

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 07:15

Actually, we use MySQL on the i-club forums, and they see around 6 million hits per month. MySQL is just a bit resource hungry.

-Trevor

-----

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 08:45

Rob, sorry for cofusing you with Hugo in my yesterday's message. My appreciation obviously goes to all of you at emepeg.

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 08:51

sorry for cofusing you with Hugo in my yesterday's message

It happens all the time - we always have a chuckle when people confuse us for twin brothers.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 09:25

It happens all the time - we always have a chuckle when people confuse us for twin brothers.

Those that have seen you two in person know better

/me ducks

Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 10:49

Sheesh. I go to the UK for three days, come back, and everything's gone to hell.

Actually, I had a very strong sense this was coming. Tipoff?: the fleece. It told me that SonicBLUE's massive, ubiquitous advertising campaign just wasn't pushing headcount past the 3000 mark mentioned here. Even if SonicBLUE didn't stumble on a daily basis over things like eStore, the Empeg in its current incarnation would have continued to present a challenging business proposition, especially in the current economic recession that puts pressure on discretionary/luxury purchases. Multiply 3000 times, say, $1500 average, then multiply by modest end margin percent and you aren't talking about a very large pile of money. Most of the folks who were motivated to spend $1,000-$2,000 for Empeg's capability have already voted with their money -- "exhaustion of susceptibles" in epidemiologic terms. A tuner would have helped, but how much farther it would have helped Empeg penetrate into a consumer population that, on average, abhors complexity remains to be seen.

Dumbed-down, less complex OEM capability does seem to be the way to go. It would seem that there has to be some place for aftermarket applications, though. Otherwise, how to you get Empeg functionality in your Lear Jet? (or my distinctly un-Lear sailboat?)

When my Empeg dies 4-8 years from now, I suppose I'd like to replace it with something as capable as Empeg, but which has the storage (a la Phatnoise) in the trunk/boot, retains all of the display/control functionality of the current Empeg (but permanently installed in the dash), with some hack-ability, and software-based function/codec not tied to frightening media conglomerates (read: Sony and such). Will such a unit be there? I'm doubtful. Will I buy a 2nd "insurance" Empeg right now instead? (I don't know. Money/employment is tight.)

Funny, a few weekend ago I visited for the first time a friend's cabin about 2 hours east of Seattle. On the property he had another unique, capable EOL product -- a Cushman Trackster (try www.trackster.com). Not sure when this little 2-stroke tank went out of production, but there is a very active aftermarket still supporting these with spare parts, bogies, treads, etc. My friends are even planning to trailer theirs to Oregon for a 4-stroke Honda repower. Not sure how many of these were made, but it shows that EOL may not be, well, EOL. I'd venture to say, though, that there are probably 100 times as many as potential Trackster mechanics running about as there are Empeg mechanics. Hugo and Patrick, please eat healthy food and drive safely!

To everybody at Empeg, thanks, indeed, for all the fish.

Jim

Posted by: hoagy

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 10:52

Yeah the slashdot forum was disappointing. This whole Linux/open source movement isn't going to get anywhere when the techs are criticizing each other and refusing to think unconventionally. Just imagine how much progress would be made if everyone banded together on one or two Linux distributions instead of 10-20 or however many.

The Empeg Car appears to be truly ahead of its time and most people won't appreciate it for another year or so when big name brands start doing the same thing. I'm just happy to be able to enjoy this product for years while the rest of the people figure it out.

My worry now is that it will be stolen and I won't be able to replace it. My compliments to the Empeg team.. you guys are amazing.

-Hoagy.

Posted by: dewdman42

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:14

What will make a product like this commercially viable is if it had an onboard CD player which could encode the MP3's directly from disk. If people didn't have to dock into their computer at all...just insert disk and its encoded and stored.. Then it would be dummified enough to sell to the masses. Oh...it has to be under $1000 too.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:16

Anyway, I'll echo other questions about how hard in the future will it be for us to get replacement parts such as faceplates, handles, knobs, etc...?? From the sounds of it, it may be quite some time before anything even CLOSE to the MK2 comes out on the market from anybody again. That means I have to find a way to make my MK2 keep on ticking for a long time into the future.

I have to say...that I am very very dissapointed as well. after spending $2000 for a MK2, expecting many future updates, upgrades and at the very least ongoing support...it will be very sad when the day comes that it doesn't work any more or the faceplace is cracked and I can't replace it or some such thing...and nothing else remotely comparable to buy to replace it either.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:25

See the Pioneer or Sony in-dash jukeboxes that are due next year. Neither is in the sub-$1000 market though, from what I've heard of pricing.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:26

What will make a product like this commercially viable is if it had an onboard CD player which could encode the MP3's directly from disk. If people didn't have to dock into their computer at all...just insert disk and its encoded and stored.. Then it would be dummified enough to sell to the masses. Oh...it has to be under $1000 too.

Like this?. It meets those demands in all ways except cost. People expect this to be magicially cheep for some reason. (I suffer this to an extent as well, as seen by my price range on a home jukebox.)

I guess once that comes out, thats our replacement. Hopefully the work being done with OEM's will evenually surface to the consumer market, so that way I don't have to buy a new car to get my next empeg.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:27

One more thing. I do want to thank the guys at Empeg for being so supportive online and all that... But I have to say...I feel violated.

Empeg basically developed a beta product. Sold it to us at a quite high price. Used us as beta testers to develop their technology. Got ideas from us and integrated many of those ideas into their technology...and then sold their technology to the highest bidder, which in this case was Sonicblue. A company who does not care about supporting this particular product. They really only wanted the software to put into their other products. Basically we all got screwed folks.

I'll use my MK2 until the day it dies and I'll love every minute of it, but the fact remains....I feel totally screwed over by SonicBlue.

I can understand why the Empeg guys did it. Hell, I work for a startup company myself. We all want to be financially successful. Congradulations Rob and Hugo...you've made it. But we are getting screwed. Plain and simple.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:35

Financially, it was an OK deal; not hugely brilliant. We did it because we felt very exposed as a small company, and we simply couldn't fund the manufacture - Steve, who co-founded the company with me and handled the financial side, was very white a lot of days from juggling payments. The options were to sell our souls to VCs and an uncertain (and uncontrollable) future, or get bought by someone in the same business.

We, the people who made the empeg still feel very strongly about keeping it supported, and will do what we can in terms of things like parts support into the future - but the situation would have been the same if a mk3 had come out.

The mk2 was never going to be made indefinitely; we still have plenty of mk1 spares though it hasn't been manufactured for a while (apart from sleds...!)

Wait until you use v2.0 and then tell me you feel "screwed over"; there's not a lot futher you can go with the same box and the same buttons, it fills the holes that people wanted filling. Do you feel used when Sony brings out a new TV that replaced the model you own?

Hugo

Posted by: robricc

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 11:53

I don't feel screwed. OK, my first empeg was an MK2, but I have never really had a horrible problem with it. I also feel that the price is justified.

Now that it's all over, I feel honored to have been a part of the the greatest car stereo ever made. Not even anticipating 2.0 or VR, it will still be the greatest for a long time.

Empeg is/was revolutionary. Years after it's introduction there is still no product that can touch it. Furthermore, I believe there will never be anything as flexible or tweak-able... even products based on Empeg's software.

I would like to wish good luck to everyone at Empeg for moving on to bigger (not likely better) things. Serving a niche market (let's face it, empeg is not for everyone) is hard. The only thing that helped Empeg survive this long is it's sheer greatness. Thanks for making it!

-Rob
-----
12GB MK2 Blue 090000736 (6166 in the queue)
Posted by: DWallach

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 12:03

I might as well join in with a 'me too' posting here, since it seems to be the thing to do. I got my MK2 just over a year ago, I just recently added in the tuner, and I've got a 48GB IBM drive that I'll be installing this weekend, bringing me up to 60GB of storage.

The Slashdot crowd doesn't get it, and it's sad. Even though my daily commute is all of fifteen minutes each way, I'm still hooked on the empeg. I have over 3000 songs at my fingertips. Most of the time, I have it all playing at random, but when the mood strikes I'll flip it over to playing a specific album or a specific subgenre. I've got things extensively classified into subdirectories with all kinds of cross-linking to make this easier (e.g., I can play the 5-CD Ken Burns Jazz collection from one subdirectory, or I can go into my Louis Armstrong directory which includes links to the Armstrong tracks in the Ken Burns collection). These features are particularly wonderful when doing longer drives, such as the roughly four hour drive from Houston to Dallas.

Most of the time, my empeg stays out in the car, but I'll bring it inside once every few weeks to copy over the latest MP3s that I just ripped. I'll also take it out if I'm parking my car in what I'd consider a 'high risk' parking lot (such as the underground parking lot downtown where my old car stereo got stolen...).

Clearly, the number one problem here has been a failure of marketing. You look at the Slashdot weenies, and they don't get it. It shouldn't be incumbent on users like us to evangelize to them. It should have been the responsibility of SonicBlue. Did they take out banner ads on Slashdot? Did they take out full page adverts in car audio magazines? The initial sales were driven by word of mouth, but to expand outward you need to advertise.

A secondary failure is the product price. I had to take a deep gulp before typing my credit card number into the web site to buy the thing, despite my deep desire to have it. Yes, I know, empeg gives you fantastic bang for the buck, but many people are entirely willing to get less bang if it will cost them less. One possible solution would have been to make the empeg fixed in the dash and have some kind of pull-out hard drive like the IBM Microdrive. Sure, it's not nearly as fun as the current situation (1GB of Microdrive vs. up to 96GB of dual laptop hard drives), but I'll bet it's cheaper to manufacture.

Still, nobody's writing SonicBlue's obituary. The new OEM strategy looks like it could be a big winner. Certainly, TiVo has done quite well with other folks manufacturing their boxes for them. Given that SonicBlue's ReplayTV is manufactured by Matsushita (Panasonic), I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the empeg finds its way there as well.

We'll just have to see...

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 12:17

I counted six statements within your email which I believe to be totally inaccurate. In a number of those cases you couldn't possibly know the truth so you probably shouldn't comment on them really.

I'm rather confused that you love every minute of your player yet you feel totally screwed over. I have to say that I own a lot of products that I don't love for every minute I use them and on the whole I don't feel that I've been screwed over by them. If I loved a product I'd bought I'd be pretty damn happy all things considered.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 12:21

I think the biggest issue that so many of us see is that we are not just seeing a product hitting end of life, we are seeing an entire market space going away. Nothing else in the market comes close to matching the features, or company behind the product. Had the Mk3 come out, an upgrade path would have existed when the Mk2 stopped meeting the needs of people for one reason or another.

I really hope I am able to enjoy the musical freedom the empeg gave me many years down the road, in one form or another.

Posted by: DWallach

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 12:24

And, much the EOL of the RioCar may bum people out, I'm much more bummed by the closing of BizTravel.com, my favorite online travel agent, which used to pay refunds if a plane was late or delayed. They were amazing, and they could often find much better routes to obscure cities even than the new sites like Orbitz.

*Sigh.* The economy needs to get back on track already...

Posted by: jstrain

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 12:25

for situations like these, i really feel that it would have been appropriate for you guys to install some sort of remote self destruction device in each empeg. when problems like these arise, you can simply melt the empeg down from cambridge. but then again, is it worth it to destroy one of the finest car stereos ever made? a tough decision.

rest assured that i, and certainly most of the empeg community do not feel that way. i knew that i was buying a beta product from a small company that had only been in existance for a short while. like others have said, i love every minute of using the empeg (except when my wife makes me listen to her playlist, but thats another story). i want to thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication to such a great product. it really has been a pleasure to own it. i am looking forward to using it for a long time to come, and also looking forward to what you guys can accomplish for the car audio word in general.

sincerely,
jeremy

12 gig, green...
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 13:24

I've been a fan of the empeg thing, since the original mp3man, it's allways been a great idea, way ahead of it's time.. I'm feeling the same way as he did.

#1: I love my empeg, I wait on the list patiently for a year while the mk1 turned into the mk2, and finaly arrived on my doorstep.

#2: I'm glad the software development will still continue, and I hope that the software will be released in the future with a modular design that will let users do some addon development.. (i'll put in time to write plugins, but not a whole car software)

#3: I'm dissapointed that the hardware thing was "a valuable addition to the sonic blue product line" and then neatly tossed asside when it wasn't perfectly profitable. I'm just glad that if demand arises in the future, the ease of the custom manufacturing of the thing could produce a lot of 1000 for sale. (anyone want to start a web petition on a lot by lot basis?)

#4: I have to say to all my friends that they can't get the empeg anymore.. that's the worst part.. I know people who would love to have it, but were just waiting for the $ to become available.

Hopefully in a year or two, the comonent costs will come down, the US/world economy will pickup again, and we will again have empeg's for sale. I think i'm going to take a chunck from my next paycheck to buy an extra sled, and a 2nd remote.

rob, hugo.. you done good.

12gig red mk2 -- 080000125
Posted by: bmiller

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 14:56

I wouldn't suggest that TiVo has done that well. They really haven't had much market penetration and they even have been advertising on TV. That market will definitely be there but who knows if TiVo can stay alive.

I think it's a mixture of climate and technical savy required to properly operate it. Despite Tony and everyone's efforts, the empeg remains for the geeks early adopters.

As to feeling taking advantage of, I can see where one feels like a tool of SonicBlue's.
Promised features were put on the back burner more than occasionally for secret projects under the premise that we, as consumers would be happy with what's coming.
It's like put up or shut up and SonicBlue has chosen the later. I put faith in the empeg team that 2.0 will come to fruittion and there may even be developments beyond that. I, being beyond warranty, just hate the thought of not being able to replace my unit even though I have insurance.

Times are tough and the tough need to get going and lean up a bit. SonicBlue owes nothing to the owners. We have a working product, some of the promised features have yet to appear, but you could've happily saved your money had you not been an early adopter or seen the potential to hack your car stereo as a really good thing.

What seems to mean the most to me is that there is not one single post from Tony Fabris in this thread. He, in my opinion, has the most cause to feel ripped off.
Guys at empeg and Tony, thanks for the great product. My life will not be the same when it stops working or gets lost/stolen.

Let's keep this community alive.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 15:02

As usual I have to agree with Rob.

Yes, I suppose you could feel like you have been used as a beta tester pulling this thing out of context and distorting what really happend. But I am sorry if I have to burst a bubble here and let you in on a little public secret. That's how EVERY consumer product works, for the small to the big. Do you think Pioneer or Alpine or whatever other carbrand one day sat down and designed a fully featured headunit that would last for ever ? Hell no, they design something, sell it, learn from their mistakes, take that knowledge and improve upon it and sell you a new headunit at which the cycle repeats. The same holds true for just about any other product. Think of my all time favorite : Microsoft Windows.

Yes, you can debate on wether that is supposed to make you feel any better or not but truth be said, at least our Empeg will still get software updates and with that new features (I hope) for a while (hopefully a long while). In the end I don't like it either but it can't be helped. I totally agree that it is a major bummer, but I strongly disagree that I feel screwed over.

Cheers

Posted by: tfabris

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 18:42

What seems to mean the most to me is that there is not one single post from Tony Fabris in this thread. He, in my opinion, has the most cause to feel ripped off.

Heh, the reason I haven't been posting the last couple of days is simply a technical one. With the BBS getting slashdotted, I was literally unable to make any posts at all, even when I wanted to. There were several technical questions on the BBS that I haven't been able to answer, and now I don't know which ones they were.

To respond to your implication: I certainly don't feel ripped off at all. Just because SB isn't making any more car players doesn't make the existing players any less than what they are. They are still the best product of their kind, and I'm glad I own mine.

This will be my car stereo for many years to come. I know that official support will exist for the car players for as long as they've got warranties, and unofficial support will continue indefinitely, in the form of shared information here on the BBS or elsewhere on the internet. Even if there is a catastrophic failure of one of my units, I know that I'll be able to fix it even if it involves taking a soldering iron to it myself. And it would be worth it, too.

As far as the future is concerned: As I understand it, the Empeg team will continue to make great products for SonicBlue, using the same technologies that we've seen demonstrated in the car player. I know that 2.0 WILL happen, so there's no need to worry about that.

The only real remaining question is VR.

Well, if the OEM deals come to fruition, then I'll bet VR is still going to happen. My reasoning? I think that in-car VR is going to be the must-have gadget of the future. The OnStar system is a great example. More and more car makers will be offering those kinds of options, and those who don't have it will be left out in the cold.

And if Empeg does VR for a car manufacturer, they've gotta test it in the real world, right? Well, how better to test it than to give it to an existing user base? Personally, I think VR still has a high probability of happening.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 18:48

why are you supposed to feel ripped off ? are you secretly a major investor or something :-)

32Gig MK2 In 2001 VW Golf TDI
Posted by: gbeer

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 18:58

Online companies are getting tight about the address you supply, being the same as the one where your credit card bill is sent to. Too much fraud.

I routinely have high cost items sent to my parents home, one or the other is home most of the time.

The trick is to call your credit card customer service number and register a shipping address against your account. It works wonders to be able to tell the order desk that your preferred shipping address is registered with the card company.

claims that my billing address doesn't match my credit card's address

Posted by: jwickis

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 19:56

WOW bummer, yes I'm saddened & mad well a whole range of emotions coming home to read this. I'm kinda wondering why it wasn't in 'announcements' cat. but oh well to be put in 'general' cat. is an understatement. I for one don't feel cheated, as one poster commented we are all guinea pigs in a sense, my car still has bugs & TSB's and it's a potential hazard if something is wrong w/it. The empeg may have never seen the light of day had they never come forward w/ the unit publicly or had people give ideas, as I see it was pretty much done when it was created. I've been to the Slashdot site, admittedly while I've never heard of the site before now, voiced some of my opinions or should say gave my reasons for backing such a product & why it was worth it for me. I bought the base line product 12Gig (figuring I'd update the HDD when prices fell), I find it was still worth it to me even w/the acused high price. There was nothing like this out when I bought mine & won't be for quite awhile, though the package will be different I feel like Pioneers HDD CD player will be close. Barring any horendous accidents my empeg will be playing for quite some time, I would like to see the voice recognition to come out, I doo feel that this should be finished. While not necessarily promised or included I have read about it so much I want it & I feel it would've really push the capabilites very far.
I feel as another poster mentioned that Rio's portables aren't not what people really want it's just what the general public is being fed at the moment as what they should have. Unfortunately too few people realized the potential of this product to keep it going although I don't personally think SB gave it much of a chance at all, it's been what, 8-9 months? I know the customers are out there as human nature they were waiting for a sort of finalization of the product, afterall it didn't have even atuner yet, what did SB expect! When SB bought empeg, I imagined they would redesign the empeg making it less costly, using more mass produced manufacturing methods & buying power. Rather, it looks like, they thought it would be a quick bump in their sells pinned on a hopeful MP3 car in-dash craze that has been slow to develop. SB didn't really put much into the development that I saw, though I couldn't see much of what really went on. Personally I don't think it's a geek product just because it uses a computer & Linux it's the beginning of what the future will be like anyway as far as I'm concerned. I really believe that the right company could've sent the empeg through the roof. Get the manufacturing price down via mass production methods but keeping the same look & feel leaving just the software side to devlop new things & plugins to sell for more versatility.

Well here's to the future whatever it may bring, thanks guys for a piece of history that changed how I listened & accessed my music. I commend the developers for reaching the staus they have so far, their hard work is very apparent in their product & support of it, very rare. I don't see this as an end though & hope to see the evolution of it all.

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig w/Tuner- awaits v2.x & Voice Recog.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 20:48

I guess once that comes out, thats our replacement.

Not for me... I get at least as much satisfaction (if not more) from hacking my empeg as from it performing its primary function. The consensus seems to be that the empeg only happened due to some freaky accident and it'll be a cold day in hell before something similar happens again.

I'm also on the should-I-buy-a-spare fence but it's shaking uncontrollably and I'm not sure I can hold on for much longer.

Borislav

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 25/09/2001 21:09

Borislav: "I'm also on the should-I-buy-a-spare fence but it's shaking uncontrollably and I'm not sure I can hold on for much longer."

OK, but the question is: Which way are you going to fall??

I, too, have been thinking about this all day. Money is tight, however. My conclusion? When SonicBLUE offers a discount of $100-$150 to existing Empeg (I'm glad I never got used to calling them Rio-Whatever) owners, then I'll buy an "insurance" unit. I figure that's more than they'll get from reseller/liquidator types, and a purchase price of $850 would make me feel better about making the leap given the uncertain, melancholy circumstances. Failing that, I'll just cross my fingers. The notion has some attraction. If I had a 2nd unit, I could just leave it on the boat during the warm, less humid (less corroding!) months.

Jim

Posted by: geekdude

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 01:03

I am shocked, and yet I fully understand that the rest of the world is not quite ready for the future.
:-|

THANKS for making a bit of Geek History and letting us share that with you.

THANKS for making the empeg real for all of us GEEKS out there !!!

Thanks for producing my epmeg

-- MK2, 36G, blue, 080000398 --

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 01:07

Online companies are getting tight about the address you supply, being the same as the one where your credit card bill is sent to. Too much fraud.

Yes, but it seems they (or authorization SW at the card issuer) do matching using some quite unforgiving algorithm. I have several purcheses denied because of this, although I am on my current address for the last 40 years and never used any other either for registering credit cards or as shipping address...

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Posted by: davidtg

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 04:37

I was silent when my number came up
   because I did not have enough money
I was silent when the queue was abandoned
   because Empeg was producing from stock
I was silent when the Mk2 was released
   because I hadn't convinced my wife yet
I was silent when the empeg became the riocar
   because I thought it would become even more available

Now all I can do is *sob*

(with apologies)
David T-G
davidtg at justpickone dot org

:-D
--
David T-G
Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 08:29

In my mind, the problem is always the same:

When a big compaany aquires a small company , everyone says it's good for the small company to be acquired.

But there is an example now, it is NOT.

Empeg built the MOST powerful, flexible, and amazin product for the next five years.

If they(Empeg team ) haven't been acquired by SB, their product will be still more expensive that now but Quality must be PAID.

You will never see a consumer product in which you could put your hands and make your software and get technical infos and tips.

I want to believe that they will do their best to continue what they are doing now but il will be different.

I am almost sure thazt in the Next monthes SB will sell a Empeg III (Ameliorate Empeg II) with a different name but with less flexibility than Empeg II.

They just xanted to acquire GOOD TECHNOLOGY after that .....

Even all that, EMPEG is still the Best Geek Team Ever Seen (as now :-) ) and we can trust them for future plans.

Conclusion :

It is better to stay as a small company with the serious you had than to be pushed by the Economic Rules.
Market Rules the World.

You are tied Now.

I'll Strike From the Grey
Posted by: bmiller

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 08:39

He's definitely a major investor in time and energy put into trying to make this product mainstream.
A lot of things may not have happened if it wasn't for Tony.

I don't personally feel slighted. I knew going in that this was the best ultra-geek toy in the world and with that comes certain things such as possible obsolescence, beta software or failure.
I was willing to except those drawbacks just to have one. I don't think to many owners would think twice about running what empeg calls "beta" software on their unit for the promise of being just that much cooler. I think they did an outstanding job of keeping the software stable.

I'm just examining the other point of view.
Plus, I know I'm not going to be able to fix my empeg if it breaks and hopefully the community will be here to offer some support in that regard, even if it requires shipping my unit around the world at my expense.

The thought of living with out it at any point in the future is a trembling thought. How could I readjust to the way I used to flop CDs around and mostly listen to the same 3-5 over and over again?

Scary.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 09:17

Hmm,
If they were to offer a $150 discount to existing owners, it would definitely push me over the edge to getting another one. I am getting ready to order another sled, power supply, remote, and I would like a blue face plate...

Were they to offer the discount, it would be like getting an empeg for $600 for me, as I am already planning on dropping $200 on accessories anyways...

-Trevor

-----

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 09:39

A lot of things may not have happened if it wasn't for Tony.

Aw, shucks.

I don't think I did anything that wouldn't have been done by somebody else. I just enjoyed my little MP3 hobby and did what I could to help others.

There are a lot of other people on this BBS who are major contributors, too. They just don't post quite as much.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 10:06

...or have pagers linked to the board to be notified when a new post is made... Sorry, but that is way beyond anything I have seen before!!!

Paul G.

Edited by pgrzelak on 26/09/01 07:33 PM.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 10:40

True. I've only got mine for a week, but I'm seriously considering buying a second one. Simply to put it on the shelf in case something might happen to the first one (be it theft, an accident, me dropping it or anything else that makes it stop working). I would also have everything in backup then (remote - probably the first thing to go, AC adapter and car bay)

I certainly don't feel screwed over by Empeg, I'm sure that if it could be any other way they would do it. I (and I'm sure many others with me) am just sad that something as wonderful as this has come to an end. Now the top of the bill mp3 product for the car will be the NEO. God forbid, I've been there and it does not even touch the Empeg's heels.

Riocar 10gig (for now) S/N : 10101747 amber
Posted by: rockstar

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 11:15

so basically if i don't buy a tuner in the next 2 months i am not going to be able to, is that what you are saying?

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 11:33

Hugo wins the sensitivity award. Rob...you lose!

I'm entitled to any opinion I want to have...and if I want to feel screwed over...I can feel screwed over. Only time will tell over the coming months/years how screwed over we/I are with this turn of events. As people's Empeg's start to break down...and they can't get them fixed...and they sit there looking at a $2000 piece of metal and plastic.....maybe their tunes will change dramatically. Or..maybe I'm wrong and there will turn out to be a way to keep our Empeg's running for a long long time. Only time will tell. But my experience says that kind of support will NOT exist. I for one, did not buy a $2000 car stereo that I intended to only use for a year or two.

I'm sure the guys in Cambridge are very proud of the MK1 and Mk2. Its a great unit. As I said before, I love mine (as long as it keeps working). However, regardless of whether you like to admit it or not...the fact is...you SOLD OUT. You sold your software to Rio and Rio promptly shelved this great product. You sold out man!

Rob...don't be defensive. Just prove me wrong in years to come.

cheers

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 13:59

No, tuners will be available until stock is exhausted; at that point, if there is demand we may be able to get another production run sorted out. The stock may last a lot longer than we expect (not all owners need or want a tuner).

BUT; if you have a need for a tuner, the best thing to do is to order one sooner rather than later.

Hugo

Posted by: Clarke

Not betrayed! Grateful to empeg/SB - 26/09/2001 14:00

Looks like lots of people are venting their ire, feeling betrayed and generally pissed off and pissing on the folks at empeg/SB.

Not me. I was an early Mk1 owner, upgraded to the MkII when it came out and now I've just gone ahead and bought a MkIIa and some accessories. The folks at empeg created, built and sold a great product - the empeg/Rio Car.

The fact that SB bought the empeg team shows great insight an forethought. Rob, Hugo, Rodger and the others really believe in the product (which is really the software) and have been here from day-1 supporting the user community in an incredible fashion.

I for one trust that when we need them, Hugo and the others will be there still for this community. I've had three empeg's - I still own two. Now I'm about to add a "spare" Rio Car to my collection.

Say what you will - SB realizes the outstanding team that they got when they bought empeg. We are sure to see some interesting stuff come from that team in the times ahead. I know that everytime I use my empeg(s) that I'm grateful to Hugo for having the foresight to build such a wonderful product and make it available to people like me.

=-Clarke

Queue 351, Now Mk II #60000022 18gb, Blue

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 14:01

There are certain commercial realities that sometimes rule out the "stay as a small company" option.

Rob

Re: Not betrayed! Grateful to empeg/SB - 26/09/2001 14:02

Which is why they killed their primary product showcase?

That doesn't make any sense.

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 14:05

Like the:

buy 'em and put 'em out of business
or
attempt to buy 'em, fail, and then put them out of business buy selling same product at a loss, until smaller company runs out of cash.

Microsoft are great examples of both approaches (which are valid business decisions).

Paul.

Paul Haigh, Reg. 4120
(mk1) 6GB, Blue, 00254
(mk2) 12GB, Red, 00357

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 14:07

More like the "oh dear, manufacturing stuff means you have hideous cashflow problems and if you don't get some money in somehow, you're going titsup.com".

Cashflow in a growing business is a huge challenge!

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 14:15

Well I certainly didn't sell anything, having no stake or executive involvement in empeg.

Hugo and Steve made a commercial decision which was strongly influenced by dedication to the product and customers. You speak as though they became millionaires (*laughing old loud*). The other options available at the time would have resulted in the EOL announcement happening much sooner - the decision that was made was the best chance the product had.

In any case, the EOL of the product around this time has ALWAYS been on the cards - it's time for a new model. People here have been saying that for some time. The decision that has been made is that the new model will not be sold by SONICblue, we'll just stick to creating it.

Rob

Posted by: jwickis

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 16:22

I had an earlier post about little time SB spent w/the empeg as the webpage shows http://www.riohome.com/BuyOnline.htm it 'just arrived' and is already departing!

#695-Mk2/8 colors-12Gig w/Tuner- awaits v2.x & Voice Recog.
Posted by: number6

Do I feel screwed/upset? Not in the least - 26/09/2001 17:36

This is for Rob, Hugo, everyone else involved with the empeg past and present.

I take my hat off to you guys. You have created the most wonderful and practical MP3 product in existence. I was convinced that you'd created the Harrier Jump Jet of the MP3 world, so advanced that it would take some time [maybe years] to catch on.

It took much longer than you thought to do it, heck I joined the queue back in January 1999 [within 30 seconds from when I first saw the product on your website and when the Mark 1 was sort of being made] and wondered if I'd ever see any unit at all before the hundreds/ no thousands in the queue ahead of me [judging by the queue number I was assigned] got theirs - even allowing for a 50-80% drop out rate between joining the queue and leaving it.

There was nothing else like it, even by August 2000 when I finally ordered my units.

So, I bought 2 of the 12GB MK2 units - 1 for me & the 2nd one for my wifes car.

My wife was absolutely stoked when I showed her what I just spent several grand of my money on [in whatever currency you care to name] and about 3 times the UK Pound cost in New Zealand dollars - i.e. a lot of money.

Even though it was a surprise to her as she didn't know it was coming, she sure could see how cool/useful it was to have every CD in our collection in the car available on demand without limitations.

So, she was won over instantly and I hadn't even showed her the cool stuff in it like playlist management or other things not even considered by us mere mortals but which had been thought about and then implemented by Hugo and the others at Empeg in the software.

I was even more stoked than my wife when I found out the empegs worked better than I thought - unusual as that was for a near 'new' product.

One of the key reasons why I bought the empeg was due to its inherent design - using Linux as the base os makes sense, adding Ethernet, USB serial etc makes it easy to upgrade and connect to computers and other devices [like Sony Stalk controllers] and more importantly the whole design was upgradeable and designed to be hackable/extendable - either by yourself or by others.

The processor is very over specced for what the empeg does now, but that gives lots of head room for advanced functionality, be that GPS navigation, VR or whatever else someone else cares to think up. This has been borne out so far and will continue for some time yet I think.
We have had at least 3 software releases [1.01 and 1.02, 1.03] with 2.0 nearly here. I can't think of any device that has been improved simply by adding new software than the empeg has been in the short time I have owned it.

Now, as you can imagine, when putting lots of money down on any expensive toys you pays your money and takes your chance.

I have plenty of such things lying around my house from the last 10 years.

Heck I now have 2 Tivos as once I got the first one, it wasn't enough for me to have my own, so now we have his and her Empegs and his and her Tivos
I've spent at least as much on empegs thus far as I have on VCRs, TV's, Video Tapes, DVD players, DVDs. My CD collection cost nearly as much as empegs did over the years.
I own 3 working VCRs and have several older ones lying around the house.

When [and I say when, not if], Tivo goes bust/Chapter 11 etc, will I be complaining to Tivo about how I've been shafted as I own 2 of their devices? No way.

So now the Empeg has been EOL'd its a sad day, but its a case of the one door closing and many more doors opening...

If you were to ask me, imagine empeg had never been invented what sort of features would you like implemented in your next high-end car stereo system, and who should do it?

I would be hard pressed to think of a better team than Hugo & co to do the next generation of feature rich in-car products even if only as OEM products.

Yes they might not have Ethernet and Serial and other interfaces for cost and other reasons, but the software inside them will be excellent, with hooks and backdoors to allow others to be able to re-use them for other functions and features and/or have a UI that has been well thought out & researched, not just "market researched" by the marketing department.

I am more than willing to beta test any future products these guys produce [show me the NDAs, I'll sign] - and when what they make finally makes it to the outside world as a main stream product I will probably buy one to replace or augment my empegs - who by then will have had 2-3+ years of everyday use.

So, lets keep it all in perspective for a minute, would you prefer to have lived in a world where there never was a empeg and we still had CD juke boxes in the trunk?

Or even worse - a world where access to music you bought was only via a carefully controlled system of licenses and rental arrangements and you had to keep re-purchasing the same music every few years as formats change?

No way - I'd much rather it the way its turned out. Maybe things could have been even better but we'll never know how much better now and in any case nothing lasts forever, sooner or later the empegs would have stopped being made.

Its just happened sooner than later, but I'm very glad it did happen at all.

I'm awaiting my [just ordered] tuners and will consider buying a backup empeg in case one of my 2 gets stolen or damaged.

So I guess I'll have spent more money on these things than a lot of people who only bought 1 empeg which by some measures ought to give me a lot of reasons to complain/feel unhappy.

My real sadness is reserved for those who have not yet had a empeg experience, nor are likely to now. I have yet to meet anyone I've ever shown the empeg to who has not been immediately impressed with it. The price puts them off a little but if it was factory fitted in their car they wouldn't think twice about the cost - and maybe thats the reason for SB to have done what they did - make the product part of the original car and everyone can afford to have the empeg.

One day I hope these people may come close to what we have experienced with the future yet to be released products that Hugo and others are working on.

So, keep those new products coming guys - I look forward to them knowing that they will be worth it in the long run.

In the meantime, I have my empegs to use until then.

A fully loaded empeg in the car is better than hundreds of CDs in the house!

Posted by: Dignan

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 17:44

I guess I'll chime in with my "me too" comment.

I love my empeg.
It is the best thing I have ever bought.
I will enjoy it until the day it breaks / is stolen.

I can't feel screwed over. I bought a wonderful product. Very few products last forever in the same form. Sure, the Mini didn't change much for 40-something years, but that's rare.

We weren't guinea pigs. The only things that we were used for were for what we can see already: an amazing product revision (Mk2), and a hopefully very advanced software upgrade (provided we get it). You can also be sure that we'll get v2. I don't see why they'd go to the trouble to do the work and then not release it after several releases to the Alpha testers.

BE HAPPY!! ENJOY YOUR MUSIC!!

One last thing: recently I bought the credit card-sized Rex 6000 micro-pda. I love it. I bought it the day after I heard it was being discontinued. I realized that the product fit my life perfectly, and was the only solution for me. Now that I have it, I use it every day, all the time. It's my second favorite gadget (next to the empeg). Am I dissapointed that it will be damn hard to find another if this one breaks? yeah! but I'll enjoy it for now, and that's what matters.

I love my empeg.
I can't give all you Cambridge folks enough thanks for your marvelous product and support. We all appreciate the hard work you've put into this.

THANK YOU!!!

DiGNAN
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, etc.

Re: Do I feel screwed/upset? Not in the least - 26/09/2001 19:17

Yeah. What he said.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 19:19

Undeniably, this is disappointing news; no doubt about it.

The Empeg, Ltd. staff members are a wonderful mix of people, and demonstrated the best customer support and service I've ever had the privilege to experience. No Exceptions. They are a group who definitely believed in, and stood behind, the product they sold.

The empeg-car was profitable, Hugo has said as much, however, it wasn't sufficiently profitable to keep. Sad, but true. Excellent, well made, products are hard to find, and, harder still, to keep. It is my hope that I'll be able to enjoy my empeg until that sad day when it finally dies.

For whatever it's worth, in my opinion, the news of the SB buyout of Empeg Ltd. marked the beginning of the end. It was the "Handwriting on the wall", so to speak. Although there were numerous assurances that it would be 'business as usual'; no one can deny, at the very least, the thought crossed their mind that this would be the end of the empeg-car. Think about it, we've seen it all too often; "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish". Even now, we see this going on with CD's themselves.

It's funny how you can think all these lofty things about 'voting with your dollars' (meaning, support those suppliers who provide the best product or service), and it doesn't seem to do any good.

... so let it be with empeg.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 19:47

Dudeman42: "I'm entitled to any opinion I want to have...and if I want to feel screwed over...I can feel screwed over......you SOLD OUT. You sold your software to Rio......"

Dude,

You are indeed entitled to any opinion you want to have. Little green men trying to penetrate your tin-foil hat with their evil mind-control rays?? Hey, I'm down with that.

My opinion of Rio/SonicBLUE's eptness might just be as low as anybody's on this BBS, and my disappointment that the open-ended Empeg Mk2/3 will spawn no more is probably as great as anyone's, but I'd suggest that, before you stage a mini-WTO riot here, ....DO THE FRIGGIN MATH! Can you spell "cash flow"? Have your read Rob and Hugo's patient explanations of events as they unfolded over the past year? I guess I can understand your bitter feelings ....I just have to assume that your expectations are a notch different from mine and that you have perhaps been walking around with your eyes closed.

As seriously disappointed as I was by the EOL news, I have to say that I am still pleased to own an Empeg. Yeah, the future is uncertain, and I'm not sure I can afford a "spare", but I still want to thank Hugo, Rob, Steve et al for producing this marvel. I look forward to version 2.0. If circumstances dictate that I move *back* on to my sailboat to weather the current recession, it will be fantastically great to have all of my music available while my CD collection sits in dead storage. Yeah, I hope my Empeg doesn't break. Yeah, I hope Hugo will be there if it does. Yeah, only time will tell.

If you're still hopelessly pissed off to the point that you may never enjoy your Empeg ever again, I have a solution: Open it up, take out the severely depreciated commodity components (i.e. the hard drives) and send it to me. I will send you $600 via Paypal. Does this work? Would this help you move on?

Geeez, you think you got problems. Wanna help me find somebody to install the Empeg in my DeLorean????

Jim

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 20:09

Xavyer: "It's funny how you can think all these lofty things about 'voting with your dollars' (meaning, support those suppliers who provide the best product or service), and it doesn't seem to do any good."

Xavyer,

I'd agree with you that the acquisition by Rio/SB was the "beginning of the end" in some sense. I don't completely rule out the possibility, however, that Rio/SB may produce an OEM product in the future based on Empeg code that I may want to buy. I'm skeptical, but will keep my eyes open.

I also appreciate your point about supporting superior suppliers -- voting with our dollars. It's just unfortunate that the number of folks voting with dollars didn't manage to exceed 1000. I still feel in my gut that Rio/SB screwed the pooch when it came to promotion and advertising (to increase that 1000 to ???), but in a period of great economic difficulty for companies like SB (did they overextend like so many other companies?) I have a hard time judging.

Jim

Posted by: msaeger

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 20:18

yah empeg sold out you guys sux :-) I feel like I am reading a nofx (or insert what ever punk band you want) bbs or something it's a business for crying out loud

I have a dreamcast and about 20 games now sega stopped making that after about two years and are making games for sony and I don't even get an update (sega's a bunch of sell out's they sux too :-) ) (sorry the sell out thing was too much for me I need to stop reading this thread can't we go back to whining about 1.1 coming out)

Posted by: tonyc

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 20:19

In reply to:

For whatever it's worth, in my opinion, the news of the SB buyout of Empeg Ltd. marked the beginning of the end. It was the "Handwriting on the wall", so to speak

I had similar feelings. Even though it's pretty much accepted that Empeg would be dead if they hadn't been acquired by SOMEONE with some capital, I think there is some question as to whether SonicBlue was the best suitor. I'm not saying that any other company would have made an immediate earth-shaking profit on the Empeg MkII. But I think that maybe other companies would have had more patience with the product, and maybe let it go until a more marketable MkIII had come about.

My take on things goes like this... At some point before the SonicBlue acquisition, I remember either Hugo or Rob saying something along these lines... In the future, they didn't expect the Empeg to be their meal ticket. Instead, less featured and more "consumer friendly" car players would be their "money makers" and the Empeg would always be more of a "side project" that wouldn't make much money but wouldn't LOSE them money, so they'd be willing to keep it going. Well, the consumer friendly money-making model never had a chance to blossom.

Now we have been told the entire Empeg line is finished, and I put that squarely on the short-sightedness of the parent company. I am NOT a sales genius but I do know that the profits from the less extravagant model could have carried the Empeg as we know it "on its back." This is equivalent to how the Ford Mustang Cobra sells a lot of Mustang V6es (and even Tauruses and Escorts), and just as Johnny Walker Blue Label sells a lot of Johnny Walker Red. The high end model is what people lust after, and those who can't afford it will happily settle for the average model until they can.

Maybe if Empeg was acquired by Creative Labs, or Pioneer, or Aiwa things would have been different. (Yes, I'm just naming random companies with MP3 interests.) Maybe one of those companies would have had the patience to let the affordable less geeky model evolve, and maybe they would have given the Empeg people the freedom to keep the "flagship" model alive.

Instead, SonicBlue has decided that the "fringe" Empeg project is an unwanted nuisance in their efforts to turn the Empeg intellectual property into a moneymaker. I think every company has a right to make money, but I also think it would be great for a company's image to have a high-end model to put on the covers of magazines to get their name out. And THAT would lead to MORE profit on the middle and lower price points.

To summarize, I think killing the Empeg project is actually a POOR business decision, despite the trend away from aftermarket and towards OEM. I believe that the MkII could have driven up sales of more consumer friendly models. And I'm upset that SonicBlue wouldn't put a few more chips on the table to give that a chance.

All of that said, I love my Empeg, I greatly appreciate the time and effort put into it by the Empeg team, and I hope to see Empeg's software showing up in more gadgets in the future. I also am appreciative of SonicBlue at least taking a chance on a small company like Empeg. But next time, stay in the game for more than a year before you kill a flagship product.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 20:59

Hey Jim...go back and re-read both of my posts on this thread. I said both times that I love my Empeg (as long as it keeps working) and will continue to enjoy using it.. Even more when 2.0 comes out. That doesn't change my view of Rio for what they have done here...and to some extent the folks in Cambridge (sorry guys, but that's how I see it).

I'm sorry that you feel that you now feel a need to take personal cracks at my personality because I feel this way.

I really hope that in the coming months or next couple years that not too many will get burned with $2000 heaps of metal that can't be fixed because there's no support for it. I bought my Empeg about a year ago. I can't even remember what the warranty is(guessing a year), but I certainly had full expections to use it for at least 3-5 years....for the $2000 that it cost me. Any comparisons that people have made to computer games which are not supported on new platforms is a ridiculous comparison. They don't cost $2000 for starters.

After hearing some of Hugo's comments (not Rob's..he takes everything too personally and gets all upset over everything). After hearing Hugo's comments on this thread and a few others...I can see that he definitely wants to try as hard as he can to support us Empeg users for as long as he possibly can. For example...putting photos up of how to fix the Empeg ourselves when it breaks. This isn't exactly the same thing as being able to send my pioneer deck into a pioneer service center to get fixed, but at least its SOMETHING and I appreciate the fact that he cares to do that notwithstanding this news that Rio is going to discontinue the carplayer(which probably comes as a great dissappointment to the guys in Cambridge as well). The only acceptable response from those folks right now is "We never meant to 'screw you over' and we hope to make every effort to support you for as long as we can". This has essentially been Hugo's response. Rob's response has been more along the lines of "You don't have any idea what you're talking about so shut up". Wrong answer. All I want to know is that if and when my Empeg breaks 2 years after buying it...that I will be able to get it fixed. If I can't...then I am going to be one pissed off dude... And mark my words...this wil happen sooner or later to somebody somewhere...and after spending this kind of dough..you can rest assured they are going to be ticked off people.

You think someone who walks into CarToys today and buys a Rioplayer is going to be happy in 18 months from now if it doesn't work...and he can't get it fixed? Hello.... He's going to be ticked. You can't market a consumer product (and regardless of the geek factor...this has absolutely been marketed as a consumer product...for sale in car audio dealerships such as CarToys)....you can't market a consumer product for $1000-$2000 and expect your consumers to be anything less than completely pissed off when it breaks 2 years later and can't be fixed. That is simply wrong. If they put a big sign on all the marketing material and on the website that says "Buy a disposable car player today for only $999" then maybe that would be fair. But there is most definitely an unwritten (or perhaps it is written somewhere in some consumer protection document) that if you buy a product that doesn't imply "disposable"...that its not disposable and you should be able to continue using it for years to come. I'm not about to pursue something like this...so don't take it this way, but class action suits happen all the time over false advertising and other such craziness.

Believe me, I appreciate how cool the Mk2 is. I'm going to be one bummed out dude when it doesn't work anymore. But if I could go back in a time machine...I'm not at all sure whether I would have spent that kind of money if I knew that a year later they were going to pull the plug on being able to support it, get parts, fix it when it breaks, etc..

Say what you want about me...it makes no difference. But the Empeg WAS a great product. The business decisions that have occurred in the past year...not so great. Call it what you want. Call it "Selling out", "screwing us over", or less colorful and more politically correct ways of showing your dissappointment. The fact remains that over the next few months and few years....the guys in Cambridge will show their TRUE colors of how they will support those of us that bought this machine from them. I will wait and hope that I am not dissappointed. I hope that everything I am saying right now turns out to be completely unwarranted.

In the meantime... I will add that I'm glad that the software technology the Cambridge guys developed will end up in other future Rio products (though I may be boycotting Rio now anyway). Even if my Empeg becomes a $2000 paper weight...at least there should be some other cool products coming out with Empeg technology inside.. So good luck with that guys..

Posted by: jbauer

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 21:36

Bummer - been so busy working that I hadn't checked in for a while. Thank you Rob and Hugo. You guys rock. Hope we all stay in touch. If you guys are ever out in the Bay area again, look me up. I'll buy the beer.

- Jon

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 21:36

Try calling up microsoft and getting tech support for windows 3.0. Try finding replacement parts for a 20 yr old TV. Once a product stops being manufactured, support will only last for so long on that product. What did you expect? My examples aren't so good, but the principle is the same. Hugo has given repeated assurances that he will help us out in any way he can. Maybe a few extra fascias could be run before the tools get worn out and have to be thrown away. I think those are the only parts that can't be found and replaced.

I'm very sad that this excellent product will stop being made, but im sure the mk3 will live on in a future oem product that we may be interested in purchasing. I appreciate everyone answering my sometimes redundant and stupid questions over the last 2 years. This is the closest interaction between deveopers and users I have ever seen, I really felt like if someone had a good idea, the empeg guys would implement it if at all possible.

I hope the regulars on this board stay here, this is probably the most intelligent group of people I have ever interacted with!

To Rob, Hugo, and the rest of the Empeg team, thanks for all of your hard work! To Tony and Dionysus, great work on the faq! Hopefully it will be easier to browse on the new riocar.org site when its finished.

Sean

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 21:41

Not to beat a dead horse...but if I get 20 years of use out of my Empeg I will be ecstatic! Hell, if I get 5 years out of my Empeg I will be completely satisfied. Of course you can't expect a company to support a product for 20 years. But 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? Even 5 years...is completely appropriate.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 21:42

Dude, I'm going to try to let this thread die a peaceful death. Was I taking "personal cracks at your personality"? I don't think so. For starters, it somehow seems that would be redundant. All I was saying is that when you boldly say "I'm entitled to any opinion I want to have", you are 1000 percent correct. It just doesn't mean that the opinion in question is well-reasoned.

SOLD OUT! SOLD OUT! Well, that seems like a pretty harsh, upper-case accusation on your part. I just don't see it. Try something like "They made the best decisions they could given market conditions". Hell, maybe they even made a big mistake. I know, YOU would have persevered and developed the product while living on bread and water whilst holed up in some rat-infested garret, eh? (You ARE developing an Empeg Mark 3 clone I'm told.) Alternatively, YOU would have sold the operation to the multimedia conglomerate that was GUARANTEED to develop Empeg iterations Mark 4, 5, and 6.

Don't get me wrong, man. I'm not exactly thrilled. OK, OK, I only spent $1400 or so, but that ain't chump change. OK, OK, so Hugo is perhaps a bit more sympathetic to your/our plight. Rob has fielded a million questions on this BBS with what I would consider accuracy, openess, and good grace. OK, so he didn't swab your brow with a damp cloth. He is, after all, British. What's all this "SOLD OUT" [censored], though??

I hope that both you and I enjoy our Empegs for many months to come. Failing that, if you find that you twist and turn every night and just can't get a good 8 hours of winkie, my buy-out offer still stands.

Jim

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 21:58

The decision that has been made is that the new model will not be sold by SONICblue, we'll just stick to creating it.

When the time comes, where a company announces said new model, how will we know our Empeg Heros had anything to do with it?

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 22:05

One would think they would be happy to tell us - in one way or another.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 22:41

re: empeg as a 20year old piece of equipment.

By my count I own 123456789 (nine) computers, ten counting the Empeg. Twelve! I just have to count two palm pilots. They each easily out power the first four computers, combined. Eight of those I consider obsolete. Most were bought in the last ten years. I don't even want to tally the cost. All of them, except for the MicroAce still work like new. The Ace suffers from too much tinkering.

The Empeg may just, for the useful life span, be one of the least expensive gadgets I've bought.

I'm not feeling screwed. Not at all. Just sad, that the Empeg didn't sell big.

Posted by: SpeedBump

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 23:13

well i love my Empeg, and now hate SB, and now it's time to sell my SB stock!

Stephen

Posted by: xavyer

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 23:24

jimhogan: I don't completely rule out the possibility, however, that Rio/SB may produce an OEM product in the future based on Empeg code that I may want to buy. I'm skeptical, but will keep my eyes open.

Agreed. I'm skeptical, also; however, time will tell.

jimhogan: I still feel in my gut that Rio/SB screwed the pooch when it came to promotion and advertising (to increase that 1000 to ???), but in a period of great economic difficulty for companies like SB (did they overextend like so many other companies?) I have a hard time judging.

Agreed as well. I can honestly say I never saw an advertisement for the Rio-car. As for whether
or not SB overextended themselves; .... well .... what other conclusions are there? I don't know.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 23:46

Wanna help me find somebody to install the Empeg in my DeLorean?

ROFL, that's a choice one!

Difference is, I don't think Hugo's ever been picked up on cocaine posession charges... has he?

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 26/09/2001 23:57

When the time comes, where a company announces said new model, how will we know our Empeg Heros had anything to do with it?

It's never been a secret in the past, no reason it should be a secret in the future.

Deal is, their software is written under modified versions of Linux. The portions of their code representing modified parts of the OS, such as the kernel, must be open-sourced. And their code has their names all over it. So even if we don't know about a given product during development, we will certainly know about it at release time because the source code will be released, too.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 00:07

yn0t_: Even though it's pretty much accepted that Empeg would be dead if they hadn't been acquired by SOMEONE with some capital,

Agreed. That seems self evident. I wondered, on occasion, if that 'exceptional customer support and service' went too far. Of course, this is 'water under the bridge', but it's something I wondered about at one time or another, and in the end, doesn't really matter, now.

You raise a good point in regards to 'flagship' models, etc. I think your point is valid, "Too often the decisions made are based solely on the short sighted bottom line". In our parents/grandparents day (depending, of course, on your age), companies were often run by the engineering visionaries; and these visionaries seem to have been usurped by the bean counters. Rhetorically, the notion begs the question, "What happened to the idea of providing a well made, well thought out product?" Looking around, these seem to be few and far between; and getting farther. Don't get me wrong here, a company MUST make a profit; that is not at issue. I'm questioning the wisdom of making ALL decisions according to the immediacy of 'The Bottom Line' for this financial quarter.

It seems to me that it is much more difficult to guide a corporate entity, successfully, through the murky waters of 'long term goals' than it is to do so through the (seemingly) easier 'short term goals'.

Hell, what do I know? I'm not a CEO.
So, I could be wrong, of course.

Posted by: phat_slug

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 00:44

Sorry to hear that our howly cow is going dead.. :-(

However, now I can hope the empeg folks will concentrate more on a handheld HDD MP3 player - yuk!

All the best!

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:06

If he has, he didn't share any with the rest of us, that's for sure

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:09

It would probably be cobranded, but if not, don't forget that we can't release any Linux based product without releasing the kernel source along with it - I'm sure word will get out!

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:11

We'll meet on the third bench in the north east entrance to Hyde Park at 2 minutes past six on the third Sunday of each month. The password is "Wendy Filter".

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:20

There's a different group for portables at SONICblue. We're mostly involved with home and automotive products, and you'll be seeing some more of our stuff in the not too distant future. You (collective you, not you personally!) can decide then if we've totally abandoned our geek principles

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:26

He is, after all, British

Give me a few more years of working for American companies and I'm sure I'll pass for a native.

I already have my Outlook spell checker set to US English. Mike hates me.

Rob

Posted by: Nosferatu

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:32

Can you tell us What kind of NEW products ?

(Dont blame me , I am a French ....)

Nosferatu

I'll Strike From the Grey

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:42

If you can't tell, then it can't be that great a product...

Peter

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:47

In terms of promotion, Rio Car was taken to quite a lot of shows and other events, but you may be right in your observation that it wasn't widely advertised.

Most of the effort went into the area of Retail - we have a very dedicated retail manager at Rio who is a real enthusiast for the product and created a number of good relationships (Car Toys was the one that has been seen publically).

The current player isn't quite right for the wider market, which almost everyone acknowledges. Retail people want it to look a little different, and in fact have a tick list of changes that most people agree with (BBS users have wished for many of the same things). That means the current product needs to be updated - Mk.3 or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't mean taking away all the cool features, it means making them more friendly, and adding a lot more of them.

SB have a business goal to lead the markets that they address, which is something currently achieved with a number of other SB products. This needs a lot of focus, but the automotive aftermarket is just about sewn up by a number of long established brands with strong channel relationships. Nobody is going to come from outside the space and displace them, and most of them already have or are developing MP3 solutions. Is an empeg going to realistically compete with these players? Or would it stand a much better chance if it were developed _with_ a well known brand?

So now, as we stated, we're building OEM relationships. I'm very sad to see the EOL of the Mk.2 but let's hope that this is really the "Start of Life" for some even better products.

Rob

PS I'm not paid to say this stuff

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:50

Of course you can't expect a company to support a product for 20 years. But 1 year?

I think this is indeed the crux of the reason why this thread turned into a bit of an argument. If the Unofficial Announcement had said "All support and further development of the car-player software through both official and unofficial channels is ceasing immediately", then everyone would be entitled to feel [caps]SOLD OUT[/caps] -- including us at Empeg. But it said nothing of the sort: in fact, it said the opposite. That is not, $DEITY willing, the Empeg Way.

Peter

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 02:51

No, I'm going to keep you in suspense until the official announcement

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 03:28

Well, as I have continously said in every post on this thread...time will tell. I hope your'e right.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 03:38

In reply to:

No, I'm going to keep you in suspense until the official announcement

Oh ok, good thing we all get one for free being the hardcore testers we are. Ahum.

hint hint hint ...

Cheers,
Hans

Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 03:42

Maybe one of those companies would have had the patience to let the affordable less geeky model evolve,

Okay, I was going to stay out of this thread... but I have to put my two cents in.

People are suggesting that Sonic Blue tried their darndest, but sales just weren't good enough, so being smart business people they pulled the plug -- maybe sooner than they should have.

Bullshit.

In my whole life (a longer time than anybody else on this bbs, by the way) I have never seen such out and out incompetence, mismanagement, and general apathy as demonstrated by Sonic Blue, an organization that is supposed to be a major business on the cutting edge of technology.

Immediately after taking over empeg, what did they do? They closed down the internet store, the only place in the whole world that was selling empegs. It was literally months before it even became possible to buy an empeg, and lots of people wanted to do so. How hard would it have been to turn that website back on? How hard would it have been to get their own website working? Hugo and the guys@empeg managed to get their web store up and working with a staff of less than a dozen people, at the same time developing software and two versions of the hardware. Sonic Blue with a staff of thousands (well, I don't really know, maybe it's just hundreds?) couldn't manage it even given months to do it.

Then, when they (finally) did get some semblance of a store working, they ran it with such a cavalier attitude and such a lack of care or expertise that the typical experience was amazement that they were (a) actually able to contact someone and place an order, and (b) the order arrived with the only problems being it was late and the wrong items were shipped.

Surely Digital River's incompetence was so gross that there must have been a few clues about their abilities before Sonic Blue hired them. How long do you think Crutchfield or Amazon would stay in business if they ran their operation like that?

It was clearly Sonic Blue's intent to buy the empeg development team, and not the empeg car player, and that's what they did. But I have to say that I would be nervous if I were a Sonic Blue employee. Their lack of management expertise borders on the criminal, and that can't bode well for the long-term prospects of the company.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"
Posted by: flashman

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 08:10

Exactly!
And SB wonders why the sales sucked.
How the F#$k do you expect to sell a product thats not avaliable? it's no wonder the sales were down.

Plus what ever happend to the concept of "SB will be able to mass produce the Empeg and lower costs"
you know if they spent just a tad more time figuring out how to advertise, set up a friggin web page and reduce the cost of the units - there is no question that they would sell like mad.
I have never seen a single RIOCar ad from SB anywhere... Just those dumbass punks with headphones looking stupid at you and the logo "I'm listening" at the bottom of the screen.
So lets sum this up........
No advertising + high price + no site to buy units = Dead product.

I will gleefully sell my SB stocks now and take the loss in order to aid in sending them my personal message.
SB = Complete Dumbasses!!!!!!!!!!!!

12Gb MKII 080000516 Blue

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 09:35

Tanstaafl: "People are suggesting that Sonic Blue tried their darndest...."

I missed that. Who dared suggest such a thing?

Tanstaafl: "Bullshit."

Hey how come your "Bullshit" flies and my [censored] doesn't?

Tanstaafl: "In my whole life (a longer time than anybody else on this bbs, by the way) I have never seen such out and out incompetence, mismanagement, and general apathy as demonstrated by Sonic Blue."

Agreed. Sigh.

Jim

Posted by: Sheetzam

Re: Not betrayed! Grateful to empeg/SB - 27/09/2001 11:36

I agree with you completely. I too have bought a Mk 1, a Mk II and now a Mk IIa (after having the Mk 1 stolen).
As for Sb's purchase: They didn't buy the Empeg car player, they bought the Empeg company! Which means they got the most valuable part of the company, which is not the player, or even the code base: it's the people who created the product and the vision in the first place. As far as that goes, as long as the people behind the empeg car player are still in a position to be creative and lead the future, we all win.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 11:43

In reply to:

I missed that. Who dared suggest such a thing?

Yeah, really. That was in a reply to my post but I was surely not in any way saying Sonic Blue gave an honest effort. In fact my post was quite critical of their supposed interest in the Empeg car player. I guess tanstaafl was just seeing a need to more succinctly and perhaps less political correct-ly state what a lot of us had been kind of saying, but in muted terms. At least that's the way I interpreted it.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 15:17

well tanstaafl, you've hit the nail right into the lid.

What sort of company goes into business and doesn't open the front door for the customers to get in?
No wonder they couldn't justify keeping the riocar line. Debts were getting older and older and there was no money coming in. There wasn't even any way to see how many customers are knocking on the door. How many posts did we have here saying, 'where can I buy an empeg?' How many times did we have to say, 'the site is here but you'll have to wait.'?
The system of ordering sucked major dick.

As you point out, emepg had a ordering system going. A freaking back ordering queue that ran into the tens of thousands!. And SBs system can only let you order stuff if it's currently in the warehouse. Are they afraid of taking people's money? Are they doing that well that they don't need the cash flow?

Rob I really don't think you need to prop up SB if they single handedly quashed the best car audio product on the market for the next 3 years. I'm surprised Hugo hasn't said much here, maybe he can't stnad it. No wonder he is going to provide guides to DIY repairs. He MUST be absolutely insensed that the baby he created has been struck down before maturing.

I cant understand the mentality. A lot of marketing types sitting around a table, looking at their latest aquisition saying inane things like, 'mm, its a bit ugly, why would i pay $1000 for something that doesn't have a plactic faux chromed face?'

I really hope the empeg team had some huge shouting matches defending their product.

on a lighter note. it lookes pretty obvious from the slight hints that there is going to be a MK3 in the not too distant future. I maintain the hope that features apearing on it and the other OEM systems will be easily supported and applied to our 'meagre Mk1 & Mk2s'

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro
Posted by: beaker

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 16:32

In reply to:

I already have my Outlook spell checker set to US English.

Now Rob, that really is selling out.

Marcus (beaker)
32 gig (various colours)

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 17:31

Guys... I think it's important to know that Rob, Hugo, and the Empeg guys are ALL Sonic Blue employees. So saying "Rob, you don't need to prop up SB" is disingenuous... He gets a paycheck from them, so he's sure not going to bash them on a public forum. This BBS has no official connection to the former Empeg entity nor to Sonic Blue, but he still can't belittle his employers.

And I don't think the Empeg guys would do so. They have actually shown some displeasure at some of the order fulfillment woes, but it's never bordered on bashing the company. I wouldn't expect any Sonic Blue bashing, and in this instance, it seems the Empeg team agrees with the direction, though they might be a bit disappointed in the commercial failure of the Empeg.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 18:32

Oh Rob, set the spell checker back to GB english. It's like you've given up your accent.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 27/09/2001 19:10

yn0t_: They have actually shown some displeasure at some of the order fulfillment woes

Agreed. This is easily verifiable on many threads throughout the BBS.

yn0t_: I wouldn't expect any Sonic Blue bashing, and in this instance, it seems the Empeg team agrees with the direction, though they might be a bit disappointed in the commercial failure of the Empeg.

No employer looks kindly upon having their employees expressing disparaging(sp?) comments in a public forum. In as much as no individual looks kindly upon such statements either. So, I must, on principle, agree with you.

It is difficult, to say the least, to accept that the empeg-car is a commercial failure. Maybe this is because we are all accustomed to observing visible signs of marketing activity in regards to products.

True enough, the empeg-car was exhibited at many trade shows, and Rob has stated that the 'Marketing Director' (I think that's the right person) was behind the empeg-car. We've all seen and read about product reviews from trade shows for items which never made it beyond the trade show. It was simply one hurdle which the empeg-car was not able to cross.

I'm not happy about it. I don't like it. I'm not required to like it. I am required to accept it. I can express my opinion about the whole situation. The fact still remains; there isn't anything to be done about it. There's lots of finger pointing going on, and, based on some of the apparently valid arguments, lots of blame to go around. Finger pointing and blaming, still won't change the situation.

"Once a woman has made up her mind that she doesn't like you, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it."

Posted by: grgcombs

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 03/10/2001 05:56

Hey what's so different between the way we spell?

Color v. Colour? (Even I use the latter now)
Syncrhonize v. Synchronise (I'm also becoming attached to the s)
[?] v. Bubbles and Squeek or Bangers and Mash? (Never figured out what these were)
Shepherd's Pie v. Shepherd's Pie ...
Crapper v. Loo (Not all that different)

Even Tony Blair seems as American as G.I. Joe lately. Man, I LOVE this guy. I think he's much more personable than Margaret Thatcher ever was.

Pretty soon, through globalization, UK, US, and even Canadia will be indistinguishable I bet. (Americans come from America, Canadians must come from Canadia, right?)

g
greg

--
Rio Car (40Gig) Blue/Red/Green/Amber Face (Looking for 2.0!)
'01 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 03/10/2001 14:00

I think he's much more personable than Margaret Thatcher ever was

Magaret Thatcher was a person? I thought she was a Robot.
If you listen carefully to her speaches, you can hear her hair squeeking from lack of oil.

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro
Posted by: Jeff

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 08/10/2001 18:31

Just wondering out loud here. You said the official announcement was due later this week. 2 Weeks later and nothing on the empeg web site.

Does this mean there has been any rethinking of the EOL?

Posted by: 94cobra

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 06:43

Exactly!!! You asked if we would be upset if Sony stopped current production on a model of TV we liked. The answer would be NO. We would not be upset. Mainly because they still make TV's. Sonic Blue is effectly shutting down the "TV" line all together. The part of the acquisition that we all hoped wouldn't happen is here. If there was a newer model coming out then this whole thread would have been about what new features we could get by buying the new model. Luckily I got one. Luckily I got a tuner. Luckily I got a new remote. Mayby I will get v2 of the software.

I showed my unit to many people who though this was the neatest thing on the planet. Now many other manufacturers are getting on the bandwagon by producing some more featurefull MP3 units. And the king is dying. Who will be here to show them the way?

Elvis has left the building...in a body bag.

Proud Owner of MK2 080000558 - 18gb Blue

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 06:53

I agree. It was promised to be part of the package(at a later date). But when a product is at the End of the Line, I damn sure wouldn't pay for things that were told would be at no cost.

Posted by: edwin

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 07:06

End of the Line

Uchum.. Shouldn't that be End Of Life?

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 11:37

Given the generosity of the Empeg team (and I mean in the sense of the original people working on it) and the overall generosity of purpose in allowing free software updates on a low-profit item (don't forget build costs v. takeup v. overall unit profit, on total sales of 1.5k), I would be prepared to pay a hefty fee for VR if it required per-shipped instance licenses. Empeg Ltd could quite easily have charged for updates, and didn't. Even trivial amounts (say $10) would have netted a nice little sum on the basis of only release software made available so far. What if they had charged a $2 download fee per Alpha/Beta copy taken from the website, eh?

I am not honestly sure what this is worth to me. But given my tendency to show off geek toys, being able to tell my car HiFi what to do in front of my friends would reward me with serious geek points and bring me close to the ultimate trouser accident. As tanstaafl. frequently says: "Empeg: Play: Pink Floyd: Money" would have real street cred. OOoh, what a killer - is this the killer app that arrived just too late?

So damn it, I'll put my money where my mouth is - I would be happy to pay for this feature, up to the value of the unit itself.

Anyone else? Speak now - or forever hold your peace ('cos it'll be too late anyway)

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 13:07

So damn it, I'll put my money where my mouth is - I would be happy to pay for this feature, up to the value of the unit itself.

Anyone else? Speak now - or forever hold your peace ('cos it'll be too late anyway)

Well, up to the unit value would be a bit too much, but I would certainly be willing to pay, say, up to $200 for good VR implementation, even in advance (based only on Hugo's personal promise it would actually be done no matter what SB honchos think).

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia
Posted by: Dearing

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 13:17

Ditto. It would take a LOT more features packed into this little box to make me double my $1200 expense. I'd gladly pay a couple hundred bucks for good (Nuance, Speechworks or better quality) Voice Reco. I'd even PayPal it straight to Hugo/Roger/Whomever even if it's not used for licensing costs.
Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 15:10

So would I. $100-$200, no more.

Taym
MK II BLUE/RED 12GB #923

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 09/10/2001 17:54

Umm, Yes you are correct. Same result though.

Posted by: ithoughti

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 09:38

I would be happy to pay for this feature, up to the value of the unit itself.

are you people crazy? VR was a promised feature on the Mk.II ! How many broken promises are we going to put up with and then offer to pay for them?

I just don't get it.

//m

Posted by: Dearing

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 10:40

The only thing that was PROMISED with the Mk2 is exactly what you paid for: The Hardware to support VR that will be implemented in software later. Sonic|Blue will supply us with this software when they feel it is ready. Right now, it's just not. We don't even know if they've picked a VR platform yet. But the software will come, most probably as a side-effect of developing the VR for other products with the same codebase. There may be a licensing fee for them to use the VR platform, in which case they would be correct to pass that expense on to the consumer. It would have been the same if the Mk2 had shipped with VR.

Jason

_~= Dearing =~_
"WAY too happy about having #99."

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 10:53

I don't know if it was promised but we were certainly told that the Mark II would have VR support, and I'm sure there were people who may not have purchased an Empeg unless the promise of VR pushed them over the edge. It's a huge feature for a lot of people, and it's definitely missing. I don't know if anyone has admitted they dropped the ball, but it's certainly a common gripe among MkII users.

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 13:56

I may be wrong, but I think the Rio site claimed it had VR already. I know it claimed that it supported WAV and WMA (with no mention of having to wait a year for updated software). I love me empeg, but I agree that there was some false advertising. I think it was more on the part of SonicBlue who did not really understand the product then the original guys from empeg though. Personally I will feel a bit screwed over if VR never happens, but I am still hopeful that it will show up at some point.

-Mike

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 15:11

I agree with all your points. SonicBlue oversold the product based on its flawed understanding of what was implemented and what was "just on the horizon" which turned out to be a little farther down the road then they might have thought.. As usual, the marketing literature was WAY ahead of the means to produce the actual goods. Anyone who's developed software must have dealt with this.

-Tony
MkII #554

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 16:50

Well to tell the truth I never particularly wanted VR. Still wouldn't worry me terribly if it never eventuated. The main reasons I upgraded to a MK1 were ethernet - so I could access the thing from my Mac, and the knob. In some ways I still prefer the styling of the MK 1 too, and I never had any alternator noise problems with it - installed and worked straight away :-) (the MK2 install has needed a bit of debugging)

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 23:24

The SB site never even mentioned VR; it mentions a microphone input only.

It did mention WMA was coming soon - and it was, for suitably large values of "soon"; yes, 2.0 is late but it's rather better to release something stable than a heap of junk.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 23:36

Just wanted to point this out. I scanned this from the Rio pamphlet we got at the woodside meet.

It says: "Voice recognition coming soon as a free software upgrade."

See attached.

|| loren.cox ||

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 23:42

let's see the rest of the pamphlet

Posted by: mcomb

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 10/10/2001 23:55

This page...

says WMA and WAV are "supposed" (does anyone proofread this stuff?) and I believe it has been there in some form for months. It does not say anything about needing 2.0 or coming soon.

another page makes similar claims. There are at least two other comments on there (developer API and empeg recording listening preferences) that are exaggerated at best.

Yes, I am glad that you guys prioritize quality over speed, but some claims on that website have always bothered me.

-Mike

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 00:04

Pamphlet Front attached

|| loren.cox ||

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 00:08

Pamphlet Back attached

|| loren.cox ||

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 05:35

The SB site never even mentioned VR; it mentions a microphone input only.

It did mention WMA was coming soon - and it was, for suitably large values of "soon"; yes, 2.0 is late but it's rather better to release something stable than a heap of junk.

Hugo, I'm on board with all of your points. I have carefully avoided saying that VR was promised on the RioCar site. However, it was definitely said on this BBS around the time of the 1.0 software release that VR would be coming in a future release. I'm sure you were all careful not to mention any specific date for this, but the fact remains that it was said to be on the horizon. Over a year later, some of us are wondering if it will ever come, especially when I have seen hints that it might be dropped given EOL status. Due to the licensing, etc. it would seem to be difficult to do without the backing of the parent company.

I am also in favor of getting it right before you release it. In another thread I've staunchly defended the decision to delay the 2.0 beta release in favor of something more stable. But I stand by my statement that the marketing literature (e.g. but certainly not limited to the aforementioned brochure) was WAY ahead of the actual ability to release the functionality, and that is bound to cause some uproar among consumers. We paid a premium for a product that promised to have certain advantages over what else is out there, and while we did get a lot of those advantages, we're still waiting on some.

To be honest, I will still get a lot of enjoyment out of my Empeg even if VR never makes it in. Furthermore, I would have bought mine even if VR wasn't mentioned. But it certainly was a feature that got my attention, and I would be very disappointed if it turned out to be another marketing hype "whiz-bang" feature that got left on the cutting room floor.

-Tony
MkII #554
Posted by: andygjones

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 05:39

It is mention on the SB site aswell - still there at http://www.riohome.com/products/riocar-pd.htm

and says:
"In future you will be able to use voice recognition to access common functions and select music in a hands free fashion. "

This was one of the many features that persuaded me to buy my empeg. Im still completely happy without VR but it would be nice.

RioCar 10GB RGB - can never decide

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 06:19

Thanks

Posted by: rmitz

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 07:35

I'm going to call "bull" on this one...it was clear from context at the time that VR was going to be a feature included within the next few months. I don't know if I would have purchased the mk2 otherwise, as I've said before.

Fly me to the moon...
Posted by: rmitz

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 07:38

Fwiw, this problem predated the sonicblue purchase.

Fly me to the moon...

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 11/10/2001 09:51

"Over 40 Stunning Visuals"

[Kirk and away team beams in]

Captain Kirk: Alright, Set your Empeg's on Maximum FunnelWeb ... We don't know what to expect here.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 15/10/2001 23:59

Bump

Just a thought. Rob said a while back that there was news coming up hinting that there might be a mk3 style product (or at least this is what we assumed) being released.

I can't help wondering whether this is yet to happen (the announcment of such a product) or if it has been put to rest with this EOL announcement.

Any thoughts?

Murray
Go-Wit-Da-Fro

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 01:01

There won't be a mk3 from us, no. We did have one designed, but it (obviously) didn't make it to production. Any future players will be from other OEMs.

Hugo

Posted by: edwin

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 01:27

We did have one designed

Are you willing to share any pictures taken of it?
Am I correct thinking that 'mk3' actually stands for empeg's electronics that is going to be used by other OEMs? What I mean is this: Sony produces a monitor tube and calls it Trinitron. Then NEC produces a monitor with a Trinitron tube.... So, eventually some of the major players in car audio will produce players with mk3 electronics, right?!?!

ญญ______________
Edwin de Vaan

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 01:29

Yeah, I second that!
Don't you have a photo of the mk3 laying around that you can post? I don't need to know anything of the functions or functionality (because I know you won't say anything anyway ), but I would also like to know what the mk3 would've looked like.

Riocar 58gig (48gig + 10gig IBM travelstar) S/N : 10101747 red
Posted by: kimbotha

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 01:40

Any chance of a list of features it was going to have at the stage you had designed it to...?

Kim

Posted by: tms13

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 02:13

Please don't tell us what features were in the Mk3. It's bad enough knowing what's in player 2.0, and we actually still expect to get that one day...

--
Toby Speight - 040103385

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 02:13

(responding to all 3 comments)

There was no mk3 industrial design at this stage - this was one of the major costs that was unique to Rio making and selling their own player.

The unit had USB host (but no ethernet/USB slave/serial), CD slot for ripping, face-off, 4x45W amp, AM/FM tuner, bigger VFD (but smaller pixels), and was not pull-out - but the HDD was removeable and docked with USB. CPU was a 200MHz ARM9. The audio stage was basically identical, just using a slightly newer philips DSP.

...all fitted in a single-DIN unit. Tight squeeze, I can tell you! It was far less geeky than the mk2 (eg, no visuals on tuner or aux, no ethernet, etc) but we had some aggressive pricing to hit so some things had to go.

Any OEMs we're not already talking to who'd like one of these... you know where to come ;)

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 02:19

...and that day is either nigh or almost nigh...

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 02:21

So, less fun, more practical, and more likely to be mass-produced (and mass-bought ). Actually, not entirely unlike that anounced Pioneer unit.

What was host USB for? Additional disks?

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos
Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 02:34

Umm, whatever you wanted. 802.11, ethernet, additional storage, download to rio portables, etc.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 12:00

Those specs remind me of the specs of the announced (but not yet produced) Neo 5100 unit. It also has a cd and a removable HD, is not removable itself and has a tuner and integrated amp.
Only thing from which it would differ from the specs you mention is that the Empeg's VFD would probably be of better quality.

There's a pic of it here (third pic). There were more pics than only this one online, but I can't seem to find them. Note that the site still claims it was going to be released april 2001, but so far it hasn't shown up yet.

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 17:29

The 5100 was nothing like the mk3 unit (except physically - and then you'd be comparing it with the Pioneer and Sony unit too). The mk3 was networking-heavy, plus all the advanced stuff from current mk2s.

To give you an idea, the 5100 wouldn't rip or compress CDs at all; it'd play them, and you could copy mp3 files from it. It was basically a neo35 with an IDE CD-rom - there was no music management, etc.

Hugo

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 16/10/2001 21:35

Gee Hugo, the 'mk3' sounds like heaven on a stick (or in a car). Are you able to indicate why SB wouldn't want to go ahead with such a unit? If empeg as a small start up company can sell a few thousand (or so) units AND do major development in UI, why didn't SB be of more help with this?

Murray
new styleee
Posted by: jane

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 17/10/2001 03:00

*sob* I want one of those...

Marius (Escort Cab + Mark II)

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 17/10/2001 04:09

The announcement was that SONICblue were no longer going to attempt to establish a brand presence in the automotive space. It has nothing to do with the technology, it has to do with the market. We're still working on automotive products, but we won't be marketing them ourselves.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 17/10/2001 04:15

So what you're saying is that if the right people get interested we *could* see Mk2as and "Mk3"s with other peoples names on the front?

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 17/10/2001 04:22

I can't imagine that any more Mk.2A's will ever be made.

Rob

Re: Rio Car Announcement - 17/10/2001 07:58

Yes, of course there wouldn't be any music management software on the 5100, and I have no doubt that the mk3 would've been the better product (I've owned a Neo35 so I know about how well it 'manages' the mp3's - NOT!). It's just that are first glance the pure hardware specs looked really similar. (and by this I don't mean of course that every transistor is the same)