New album at riocar.org

Posted by: rob

New album at riocar.org - 13/11/2001 10:52

Another off topic album in the historic empeg collection. Punting!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: New album at riocar.org - 13/11/2001 11:21

Cool photos... But the American in me must ask... What is punting? The only definition of that word that makes sense to me has to do with what you guys call American football.
Posted by: loren

Re: New album at riocar.org - 13/11/2001 11:34

It looks like the british version of tubing, only using flatbottom boats and poles... hey... that's sorta like a pirogue with blunt ends!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: New album at riocar.org - 13/11/2001 12:00

Punting is how they get around in Venice.

Of course, in Hugo's case, it looks more like Pole Vaulting.
Posted by: peter

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 05:27

that's sorta like a pirogue with blunt ends

Yes... probably the best way to describe it for Americans (who've been to Louisiana and Venice) is to say that it's a blunt-ended pirogue that's operated like a gondola (not with the paddle -- that's cheating, unless you're using it to recover a pole that's got stuck in the mud and left behind). It's (AFAIK) peculiar to Cambridge and Oxford.

Peter

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 05:29

It's (AFAIK) peculiar to Cambridge and Oxford.

Not at all - my first punting experience was several years ago in Bath, on the Avon.

Rob

Posted by: Derek

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 05:42

You can go punting on the Avon in Christchurch, New Zealand, too! (the Avon runs through the city between Oxford and Cambridge streets).
Posted by: tms13

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 06:38

Punts are used out in the Fens (or Norfolk, or somewhere) for wildfowl shooting, IIRC. And punt-guns tend to be huge, like 4-bore or so.

And on the Broads, I've had to quant a yacht - like punting, but for a full-size boat; you can walk along the deck as you push. Bloody hard work, as I recall (not that I do recall a great deal, due to lack of ebriation).
Posted by: Roger

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 06:41

Also Durham.

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 06:42

More here and here.

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 06:42

Can't you people invent your own place names??

Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 10:12

Yeah! Invent your own place names . . . oh, wait, we stole . . . damn.

John
Durham, NC USA
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 17:43

...due to lack of ebriation

ROFL

tanstaafl.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New album at riocar.org - 14/11/2001 21:14

In reply to:

Yeah! Invent your own place names . . . oh, wait, we stole . . . damn.

John
Durham, NC USA

Even more reasons why we're better than you.

Bitt Faulk
Raleigh, NC
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: New album at riocar.org - 15/11/2001 03:31

no, we got some of your flag too :)

Posted by: schofiel

Re: New album at riocar.org - 15/11/2001 08:40

... and Leeds, too - at the park, or in the canal basin in town. Trouble was, it was a puddled-bottom canal. Hence, your pole got stuck often enough to be accused of amateurism. Oh, there was the additional risk that if you fell in, you had your stomach pumped
Posted by: smu

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 06:28

I hate to ask for the explanation of a word that was in a post explaining a different word. But anyhow: What does ebriation mean? I don't know that word and could not find it in any dictionary I could reach.

cu,
sven

PS: Tony: 64 to go

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 07:22

It's the opposite of inebriation. tms13 is saying that he was nissed as a pewt.

Posted by: mardibloke

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 08:48

Play nice with the rest of us Roger, you are not exactly making things easy are you .

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 14:03

Hi Roger,

very funny, Roger. You were really helpful. NOT.

No please get a bit more serious, and explain those words for us that don't speak english as mother's tongue.

cu,
sven

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 14:06

I forget who said it: Humor is like a frog. You can dissect it, but the thing dies in the process.

Don't ask roger to explain, it wouldn't be funny if he did. By the way, if English is your second language, that's probably why you didn't get it. Some gags only work in their original language.

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 14:10

Hi Tony.

I didn't ask him for an explanation of the joke, but of a single word, which is a huge difference in my opinion.

cu,
sven

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 14:17

Not if the word is the joke.

Okay, I'll kill the frog:

"Inebriation" is "drunk".

In English, prepending a word with "in" usually makes the word take opposite meaning. For instance, the word "correct" means right, the word "incorrect" means wrong.

So, "lack of ebriation" is a pun on the word "inebriation".

The remaining gag "nissed as a pewt" is a reference to how drunk people sometimes speak, mixing up the sounds of adjacent words. (Pissed as a newt).

And in case that one needs explaining, "pissed" also means drunk to English types. Of course, on our side of the pond, "pissed" means angry, but that's a completely different discussion.

Ick. I hate the smell of formaldehyde.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: New album at riocar.org - 16/11/2001 14:18

inebriation drunkness, the state of being drunk (Latin inebriatus, pp of inebriare, to intoxicate, in- + ebriare, to make drunk, from ebrius, drunk) [1]

Now, prefix in in English often server to construct antonym (e.g. inappropriate vs. appropriate) (while in Latin, at least in our example, it served to 'intensify' the meaning of the original word). So, by mixing up the meaning of in on purpose, the word ebriation was invented, with the meaning of sobriety. (The later word, BTW, has completely different etymology.)

Why are newts often accused of habitual drunkness I would not know.

[1] After Webster's New World Dictionary
Posted by: gbeer

Re: New album at riocar.org - 21/11/2001 20:59

Why are newts often accused of habitual drunkness I would not know.

That's easy. Ever see one scrabble along. Your above average crock can't weave as crooked a line.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: New album at riocar.org - 21/11/2001 22:07

Flammable ... Inflammable. Discuss.

Famous... Infamous.

Bruno
No, this isn't flame bait. :)

"We're more than famous! We're INfamous"