Display Server

Posted by: AlphaWolf

Display Server - 05/01/2002 15:27

Anyone know where I can get the Display Server I've been hearing so much about? The links that I've tried are dead. I just got my RIO a few days ago and have been playing with it ever since. I've got the Hijack kernal installed, and a custom logo. Any ideas?

~Max
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 15:50

It is working fine for me

http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/

will post m own idiot guide to 1.1 in a bit that was written by frank on this bbs

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 16:06

Idiot guide in word

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 16:08

and in txt format for the linux folk out there (been here before)

Hope it is of some use

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 16:10

and this time with the attachment
Posted by: mlord

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 17:42

Speaking of which.. where is the kernel mod (source code) for the current 2.0 displayserver stuff? I want to integrate it into Hijack (or rewrite it perhaps, depending..).

Thanks.

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 17:42

Speaking of which.. where is the kernel mod (source code) for the current 2.0 displayserver stuff? I want to integrate it into Hijack (or rewrite it perhaps, depending..).

Thanks.
Posted by: muzza

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 18:26

Thanks Thinforth2, I'm such a goose at linux promts, I'm the idiot this guide was written for.

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 19:12

Hmm...I'm attempting to install Display Server 2.0. According to the instructions, you're supposed to upload ds2b2.mp3 to the Empeg. Problem is that Emplode won't let me. It gives me an "Unsupported/Invalid MP3 Format" error. I'm using Emplode 2.0beta7a. Ideas on how to get this file on the MK2? Do I have to FTP it up now?
Posted by: Terminator

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 19:46

Downgrade to 1.03 to get the file on there. How did you get ftp working?

Sean
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 19:54

Is the "idiot's guide" on RioCar.org or in the FAQ?

I still think that it would be cool to have a RioCar Hacker's Suite.... Displayserver, HiJack, Logo Editor, etc etc...

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 22:19

I got the display server to work and it totally rocks. My next question is, i downgraded to kernel 1.03 so I can get Emplode to copy the mp3 file. Can I now upgrade to the 2.0b7 dev kernel and will DS still work the way it does now? Also, I notice that the DS puts a menu item for quit. If I upgrade will this menu item still be there? Strange, I never thought I could love an MP3 player as much as I do the Empeg. I have a Neo35 and well...everyone who's had one knows the difference. And what's great about this is the major user development and everthing is opensource. Good to know that as long as everyone's Empeg works, there's going to be updates to it.

Re: Display Server - 05/01/2002 22:53

Sure, just delete the mp3 file before you upgrade. It was just used to install DS. Everything will work except the buttons on the displayserver java applet. The quit item will stay until you edit the config file to turn it off.

Sean

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 00:21

Well, I just tried upgrading the Kernel and whle it upgraded fine, Display Server stopped working. It seems that when you upgrade kernels, everything on the harddrive except for the databases gets rewritten. This means that the /opt directory that existed for DS was removed. Manually reinstalling it on 2.0b7 is a nightmare. Could it be because I used the RIO upgrade utility istead of trying to install it using the logo editor? Maybe I'll try that and see if it works that way.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 00:50

Opps I didnt think that through very well. Sorry! You could always rz the file back onto the player even after the upgrade. Emplode is the problem with sneaking the non mp3 file onto the player, not the player itself. I would think the installer would still work. I hide my displayserver files and all the other stuff i dont want erased on the music partition. Does the installer ask where you would like to install the files? Several other people have it working, so there must be a workaround.
Im sticking with the first version of displayserver because it seemed to be more stable on my player, and does the same thing anyway. Let me know how it goes.

Sean

Posted by: charcoalgray99

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 00:58

I just did this tonight, everything is working ok. Here's what I did:

Downgrade to 1.03
Upload the displayserver mp3 file.
Upgrade to 2.0b3
Then install displayserver using the empackager app.

It sounds like you switched the last two steps?

Tom

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 01:25

Well....Here's what I did:

(Note the first time I installed Display server, I put it on the root parittion. This time, i installed it to /drive0)

I downgraded the kernel back to the 1.03. I installed Dispaly Server. Everything worked. I then installed the Hijack Kernel using Logoedit. Display Server still worked (Becuase the file system is untouched by Logoedit, just the flashram is changed). I then tried the RioUpgrade Utility to upgrade to the "official" 2.0b7dev kernel. The upgrade installed fine. But of course, Display Server was broken. Even though I installed Display Server into /drive0 which was untouched, DS still installs files to the root, which gets wiped.

My next set is to: Downgrade to 1.03, install DS. Upgrade to 2.0b7 using the prebuilt kernel zImage on Mark's web site and Logoedi. I'm thinking that this will give me a working 2.0b7 kernel with Display Server.

On a semi-random side note, has anyone noticed the difference between Mark's Hijack Kernel and the "official" 2.0b7 kernel that it's supposed to be built on? There's a huge difference in the UI and menu design. The Hijack Kernel looks like it's still using 1.03 for it's UI.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 01:29

Yup, I did switch the last two steps. Didn't even think about doing it that way. If course that's what I get for trying to upgrade my kernel at 3:30 in the morning. I'll try it that way tomororw and I'm sure it'll work.

I still find it strange that the Hijack UI is different that the 2.0b7 UI since it's supposedly based on 2.0b7. But of course I'm new here so I'm probably missing out on some details.

g'night all
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 02:29

Please note that upgrading/downgrading using empeg upgrade tool (emplode on Windows) replaces the whole root partition (the main player executable included). Changeing kernel via Tony's logo editor or stand-alone download utility available in source replaces *only* kernel.

If you see HiJack using 1.03 UI, that most probably means you are using kernel from 2.0bx (with Mark's enhancements), but player from 1.03. I think that proper way of upgrading from 1.03 to 2.0b7 with HiJack is to first upload complete 'regular' empeg image and then install Mark's kernel over it.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 04:45

Did i mention the fact that the idiot guide was written for 1.1 displayserver which is still have favorite 2.o and me don't get on.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 04:47

Hopefully it should be somewhere on franks site

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 07:18

>I still find it strange that the Hijack UI is different than
>the 2.0b7 UI since it's supposedly based on 2.0b7.

Err.. umm.. that would be because the player UI is not in the kernel, hijack or otherwise. So if you see what looks like a 1.03 UI, it is because your player has the 1.03 release installed on it. Hijack will install on top of 1.03, except that the IR remote will not work correctly.

I know this can be confusing to a newbie, but the UI and kernel are two different items. The kernel is easily downloadable, and stored in FLASH, whereas the UI is part of the major "upgrade" process, consisting of several files stored on the hard disk.

The confusing part, of course, is that Hijack kernels include a second menu system, accessed via push-and-hold on the knob (or MENU button). This is separate from the main player UI.

To see if your player still has 1.03 on it, just enter the player menu system (tap the bottom button on front panel), and scroll sideways to the "About" option and select it. Current UI version will be shown on the screen, whether or not you have Hijack installed.

-ml

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 07:19

>Hopefully it should be somewhere on franks site

..and that would be where?

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 07:25

I can only lead you as far as the front page of franks site with the link above near the top. Under the 1.1 verison of displayserver there is something sayng kernal patch i have no idea what so even what it is.

If you are getting support for display server i vote for 1.1 as i can't make friends with 2.0

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 07:43

Oh.. I didn't know if that URL was yours or his.

Yes, I see mention of a replacement kernel for DS, but there doesn't appear to be one on that site for 2.0.

So.. has anyone already run DS on top of Hijack?
Did you patch the kernel to make it run, or is that entirely unnecessary?

thanks
Posted by: beaker

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 07:51

I do run DS and your Hijack kernel but I find it unreliable. I don't know where the problem lies though, whether it's in DS or somewhere else. I tried to downgrade to DS1 and this has the same problems as DS2. I purely run DS so that other guys on the network at work can listen to music on my Empeg. I don't use the Java Applet part. My problem is that the guys listening to the tunes over the network get problems with timeout errors (they're using WinAmp btw). The only thing I can do is to reboot the player and then it's ok for one tune or so and then the timeout errors start again. If you can do something about this it would be great. Frank doesn't seem to have been around for some time now. I don't know where he's gone, I hope he's ok.

Oh and BTW I didn't have to patch anything.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 08:00

Well, if the source code were out there somewhere, then I could work on it. But for now I'll pass on writing a new one from scratch (not that it would be too difficult, just too many other things to do).

Cheers

-ml

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 08:06

Yeah, I know you're busy with lots of other very worthwhile stuff at the moment. BTW I find DS1 works fine with version 1.03 of the player software & Kernel.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 10:15

Thanks for everyone's help. I have it all set up and working now.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 10:55

Hmm...another thought I just had. Is it possible to make Display Server start with the player? So I don't have to turn it on every time I unplug the power? How about making it so that it turns on under AC power and off under DC?

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 12:40

If you use version 1 of DS it starts automatically when the player boots up. DS2 doesn't do this and is a retrograde step IMHO.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 13:14

Yes, I see mention of a replacement kernel for DS, but there doesn't appear to be one on that site for 2.0.

IIRC the irtrans patch on his site includes support for DS2/2.0b3 as well as the IR remapping stuff. The relevant parts appear to be within the #if USE_IRSEND blocks.

So.. has anyone already run DS on top of Hijack?
Did you patch the kernel to make it run, or is that entirely unnecessary?

Yeah, I used to. It patched in cleanly until you added your IR remapping stuff. All Franks patch did was provide a way to pass IR codes sent from his java applet into the kernel. DS runs fine without the kernel patch, but you lose the ability to control the empeg from the applet (which was pretty cool).

-Mike

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 14:42

Ok...so who has experience with program loading in Linux. It's been 4 years since I've done it and can't quite remember everything anymore.

Programs, etc, get loaded from /sbin/init correct? Init is ovbiously a binary file. Is there a shell script that gets run before the init script? Or maybe after the init script?

After looking though some stuff on the empeg.dyndns.org/empeg web site, it appears there is a suggestion to move /sbin/init to /sbin/init.empeg. Then create a new init shell script file which loads, in my case, programs, then have the script execute /sbin/init.empeg The only problem with this is that it doesn't work. When you try this, and reboot, it'll get to the point where in the initscript is supposed to run and it sits there at an init prompt. If you type in /sbin/init, it'll say teh file doesn't exist. If you type init.empeg it'll load normally.

So is there anywhere else that I can run a personal init script file to load prsonal programs, like Dispaly Server 2.0?

Posted by: drakino

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 14:58

Did you remember to chmod +x your new /sbin/init? It soulds like thats the problem.

If you want to add somethign to the startup, going the route of boot->your init->init.empeg tends to work best. But if you want to add stuff to have run after the player (like a menu if you quit the player), then things get a bit trickier, and you need to ensure you do all the steps the init.empeg does. Check the init that comes with Displayserver, or Smu's Stupid FTP for ideas here.

Re: Display Server - 06/01/2002 15:25

Did you remember to start whatever you are starting from custom init script in background, e.g.:

/drive0/mybin/myprog &
exec /sbin/init.empeg

The first line starts your program without waiting for it to return (it should not use stdin, stdout nor stderr). Second one starts stock init, but instead starting it 'on top' of shell (by fork() - exec()) it overwrites shell process, as we won't need it any more. I chose a location within music partition for example program since it doesn't get overwritten during updrade. I don't remember, but it might be necessary to mount it first.

Search a bit around, there are numerous examples on the board.

Hey, it chomped (actually, failed to wrap) most of my message. I will try removing pre tags... Yes, better! Another bug in the board SW....

Re: Display Server - 08/01/2002 16:23

Ok, I must be doing something wrong, because nothing is working.

Here's the steps I took. I have display server installed on drive0.

I mounted the drive RW. Then I moved init -> init.empeg
I created the following init file:
----------------------------
#!/bin/bash
mount -n -o remount,ro /
mount -n -o nocheck,rw /proc
mount -n -o nocheck,ro /dev/hda4 /drive0
echo "Starting Display Server"
/drive0/opt/ds2b2/ds2 &
echo "Starting Empeg Player"
exec /sbin/init.empeg
-----------------------------------------
I then uploaded the file to the Empeg.
I did a "chmod +x init"
I check it doing
------------------------------------------
init-2.03# ls -la init
-rwx--x--x 1 0 0 219 Jan 8 23:13 init
------------------------------------------
Now I try to execute the new init by doing ./init
and i get "./init: No such file or directory"

If I reboot, I get to:
------------------------------
Freeing unused kernel memory: 4k initinit-2.03#
-----------------------------
And I get stuck at this prompt.

If I type ./init, I get the No such file error.

I can type /sbin/init.empeg and it will run.
But by doing this it bypasses my init file.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Display Server - 08/01/2002 17:39

Make the init readable for group and other. Scripts have to be readable in order to run. I realize that it's user readable, but without am /etc/passwd file, I bet there's something funny going on.

Re: Display Server - 08/01/2002 21:31

Damn, I knew I forgot to mention something, I also did a
"chmod 755 init" which makes the permissions
-rwxr-xr-x

Any other suggestions
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 00:15

Any other suggestions

One of the programs in the script is not in your PATH or is not where you think it is. Make all the executables (exec,echo,etc) full paths. Your script is running, but something within the script is not getting found.

Also, make sure your linefeeds are correct. After you transfer the file to the empeg type

cat /sbin/init

and make sure there are no gibberish characters

-Mike

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 07:55

Ha, didn't work. Everything is in my path just fine, because at the "initinit-2.03#" I can type the file names for everything and they'll all work. echo, exec, init.sbin, mount.

But I still get the "init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory" error. This is really starting to tick me off.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 08:04

Check your linefeeds. This message is generally produced when the first line says #!/bin/bashCRLF, 'cos it's trying to run /bin/bashCR

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 15:55

Once again. I'm not a Linux newbie. I've used linux for about 5 years, but have been away for 3 or so. The uploaded file is 100% clean.
Posted by: ClownBurner

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 15:58

If you've been away for a bit, be careful.. Some of the newer editors automatically convert CR/LF to CR for display purposes but leave the LF's in the file... Ewwwww.

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 16:06

Well, I don't have any visible junk in the file when more'ing or cat'ing the file.

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 18:00

CR's don't show as junk on cat. Depending on stty settings, they either don't show at all or show as extra line feeds.

Try /bin/od -bc init | /bin/more to see whether you have just LFs or also CRs.

Also note that path at the prompt is not necessarily the same as the one with which init runs (I have no idea whether it actually is the same or not).

Re: Display Server - 09/01/2002 21:58

Thank you for knocking some sense into me. I totally forgot that LFs and CRs don't show up. That was the problem. Edited it with UltraEdit and removed the darn things.