'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ???

Posted by: genixia

'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 08:51

I seem to remember seeing a gif or jpf for creating the magic marker mod using an inket printer and OHP transparency film, but for th life of me, I cannot find it despite searching both here and riocar.org

I've found the coreldraw file with various screen colors in, but this doesn't contain the rectangular 'marker mod'

Can anyone help?
Posted by: Terminator

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 10:10

The magic marker mod isnt a piece of inkjet film, its coloring some of the display board with a magic marker to disguise the components on it.

Here is a previous post with before and after pics:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=install&Number=55946&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=Terminator&Match=Username&Searchpage=8&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=55946

Tony also has some notes on how to do it in his photo gallery on riocar.org.

Sean

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 10:34

Yeah, I know th original mod was using a marker, but I was sure that I'd seen an inkjetable image somewhere. Maybe my minds playing tricks on me.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 11:07

Perhaps you could follow the link to the thread that's in the FAQ Entry on this subject.

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 11:28

Yeah, that's what I'd found

But if you look at the template file, you'll see that it wasn't a true marker mod. The circuitry around the IR sensor has been hidden, but the edges of the VFD hasn't.

Oh well, it's a good starting point...Time for the gimp.

Thanks.
Posted by: guardian__J

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 13:21

if you do this...
could you post it here?
you gonna make it jpg or gif though?
Posted by: NiCKEL

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 14:11

Might be better to stick with a format that prints more reliably.

Perhaps PDF if you can accomidate.

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 16:08

Trying to print something out to do this seems difficult, you will cut the viewing angle of the vfd more than if you did it directly on the display board.

Sean

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 16:17

You have a valid point but I like the 'saftey' aspect of the printout.

I can simply leave a little bit more room around the VFD and still have a pretty thorough magic marker effect without being so permanent.

If I decide I like it I can always switch to using a sharpie.

-Geoff

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 16:38

Thats true as long as you are using a screen without the emc coating on it.

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 17:02

Why would the EMC coating be a problem?

I wanted to put the transparency under the stock blue screen, I doubt it would change the effectivness of the EMC coating. Am I missing something?

Thanks
-Geoff

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 21/03/2002 17:09

Its no big deal, but you could end up with fingerprints transfering from the transparancy into the coating and staying there. It wont effect the effectiveness of the coating at all. Others have been doing the transparencies and I haven't heard any complaints about it, but i would feel more comfortable with a uncoated screen.

Sean
Posted by: rockstar

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 22/03/2002 14:03

has anyone actually thought of doing the marker mod on the FACEPLATE SCREEN rather then on the circuits and such, i have some spare ones around maybe i will make a template for us all. Anyone see a downside to that?

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 22/03/2002 14:27

I have successfully used black electrical tape on the back side of the lens for the purpose you describe. I discovered that, after the lighted buttons were installed, the magic marker mod wasn't enough to completely hide the innards. So I tried the electrical tape thing.

It required some trial-and error with the cutting to get it right, but now I've got no light leakage, in or out, where I don't want it. Since I don't use IRDA, even that's covered up, I only have a hole for the IR remote sensor.

The beauty of using the electrical tape is that it can be peeled off without damaging the faceplate.
Posted by: warsaw

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 22/03/2002 14:32

I did the magic marker mod using electrical tape instead of a marker. Very easy and less permanent.

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 22/03/2002 14:33

I think I'll add this to the FAQ...
Posted by: rockstar

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 22/03/2002 22:53

damn tony, everytimei havean idea you have either done it, or point me to a faq entry..damnit all, one day i will get you

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 23/03/2002 01:27

Did this cause any noticable marks?

I just had my empeg open to replace the IDE cable and the coating on the colored screen looked pretty soft. Any trouble with depressed areas appearing different?

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 23/03/2002 12:58

Was fine for me...

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 23/03/2002 18:47

Here's a black and transparent gif that has the magic marker mod conservatively applied (shouldn't block anyone's view)

The black ink doesn't seem to absorb IR at all - my remote still works from 12 feet even though I didn't provide a window around the senser.

Kudos to beaker - I barely had to do anything with this in the gimp as his original drawing was excellent.

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 23/03/2002 18:48

Helps if I remember to attach it

Re: 'Magic Marker Mod' gif/jpg ??? - 23/03/2002 18:50

And here's one for VW owners to use behind the stock blue plate to match the funky blue dash illuminations.