Missing my sled's wiring connector :(

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 14:56

I've been using the sled from my Mk2 for my Mk2a. When I got the Mk2a, I just pulled the player from the box but left the sled, manual and software in the box. Now, I'm about to finally install this sled in my truck and as I open the box again, the little wiring adapter is missing!

I'm not sure what happened to it. I did send the player in for repair once and used the box (w. sled) to ship it back) but I honestly can't remember if it was there prior to me shipping it out.

Does anybody know where I could get a replacement (it's just the wiring adapter that plugs into the sled's wiring)? Or what options I have short of cutting wires? I'm planning on taking a long car trip two Fridays from now and all of my parts for this install are showing up on time - just in time for me to install.

PS - Anyone notice how there are a ton of wires coming out of the sled, but there is only 1 zip tie and they seem to be all differant lengths?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:01

Do you mean the ISO connector? You might be able to get those at a stereo installation shop.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:02

Are they just a standard size?

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:06

I think so. It's ISO which is the same as Volkswagen/Audi.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:11

Thanks Tony. I checked the FAQ and the Owners Manual to see what that thing was called but couldn't find it. Heading to store now.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:13

Cool. If you find one, a company and part number would be cool so I can FAQ it.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:14

Mail car support for a new one.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 08/04/2003 15:21

I didn't wanna bug you for it.

Anyway, I'm still curious to know whether I can get a US part number from a supplier.
Posted by: jaharkes

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 09/04/2003 12:04

I was looking around for exactly that yesterday. I actually got mine from a VW dealer, the technical guy was very helpful and we pulled up the wiring loom of the '98 Jetta and ordered about two 'likely candidates' that were in the general area of the headunit. I stupidly forgot to write down the part number and was hoping I still had the receipt somewhere.

I did find the bag with the wires that go into the connector, so I have that part number. But it isn't as useful as having the connector body. It is a standard ISO-A connector, it's distictive feature compared to the ISO-B connector which carries the speaker wires is that this one has a tab at the bottom, while the speaker connector has the tab in the middle.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 09/04/2003 15:05

Thank you! I went to two stereo shops today and they both told me that they don't stock stuff like that. They said I'd have to go to a VW dealer... I'll try again tomorrow, but if you could find a part number it'd help a lot.

I also emailed support the day I posted this thread but did not get any reply. I leave for my trip next Friday so I'm hoping I'm able to get something figured out by then so I can get this installed in time.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 09/04/2003 16:20

Actually, bxgirl is a VW dealership employee. She's not in the Service or Parts Dept., but maybe she can help? I'll pm her later tonight and see if she can track down a part number for us.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 09/04/2003 16:42

I'm sure there's somewhere online we can order that kind of thing without resorting to VW dealers...
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 09/04/2003 18:39

like these?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3017530042&category=32812
Posted by: lockuplever

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 10/04/2003 07:50

http://www.aerpro.com/cgi-bin/list.cgi?list=harnesses looks kind of interesting.

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 10/04/2003 10:53

http://www.aerpro.com/cgi-bin/list.cgi?list=harnesses looks kind of interesting.
Cool, that's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to link in the FAQ.

Only problem is, that particular company seems to only distribute in Australia, Canada, China, Fiji, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and New Zealand. I'm hoping to find a listing for US, UK, and international distributor to link.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Missing my sled's wiring connector :( - 10/04/2003 11:08

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list/t/Car+Stereo+Wiring+Harnesses

appears to have the factory end but not the ISO end for a lot of cars.