[OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale

Posted by: KungFuCow

[OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 12:36

I'm kind of lazy so I thought I'd toss this up here before I tackled Ebay. Because of a series of wierd coincidents, I ended up with an extra Hughes GXCEBOT Direct Tivo. This unit was just returned from Hughes where the hard drive was replaced.

Here's what's included:

The DTivo unit itself
Remote
Owner Manuals
HU access card
P4 access card
Turbonet ethernet board (Brand new)

I'd like to get $350.00 for the unit, which is a pretty good deal considering what they go for on Ebay. Anyone interested can drop me a PM or email.
Posted by: robricc

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 12:39

I want it.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 13:21

I have a question, do you have to register this unit with DTV before you can use it? I'm only asking because I have a friend who is periodically using a "pirate" card to access DTV, and he may occasionally want to record something that he is receiving "illegally". Just wondering if there was a way that DTV could check what you had recored on Tivo?

Oh yeah... If Rob backs out on this, my "friend" would be interested.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 13:31

do you have to register this unit with DTV before you can use it?
Short answer: Yes. TiVo will not record unless it thinks it's being subscribed to and is able to phone home every 30 days at least.

Longer answer: No. www.dealdatabase.com forums will have info on hacking TiVo to operate without a subscription. I do not support this option, but it's a free country.
Posted by: davec

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 14:20

And if Rob changes his mind... I want it.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 14:23

Bodybag, you have mail. DaveC, once I hear from him, Ill let you know something.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 14:26

I partially backed out because I was able to make another (tentative) deal with someone local.
Posted by: qbasic309

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 14:27

Put me like 10th in line or something. Just in case everyone in here packs up and moves to IRAQ.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 14/04/2003 18:42

Well.. still available.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 15/04/2003 09:30

Sorry KungFuCow, I didn't get your mail or a PM.. Try me again at [email protected]

Thank you

(Edit) - Ooops... I did get your email, I sent you a reply. I'll wait to hear from you.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 15/04/2003 14:34

In reply to:

I do not support this option, but it's a free country.

I'm no angel and I'm certainly not pointing a finger at anyone, but for clarity's sake, it's actually illegal to steal service from Tivo (or DirecTV) and is not covered by freedom of speech, the press or religion.

I'm a former Hughes employee so that's probably my main reason for not pursueing it. But I have done one for someone one else and I'll say this: If you can add a drive to your empeg, you can do most any Tivo hack - but don't expect any tutorial as well writen as the ones at Riocar.org.

I'm going to be cracking my DirecTivo open pretty soon to add another hard drive to it. Mine is a Series2 Hughes so I have to track down some odd hard drive holder?
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 15/04/2003 14:46

some odd hard drive holder?
The TwinBreeze?

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 15/04/2003 15:41

The Tivo drive hack is actually VERY well written. I put a 120GB drive in my Series 1 DTivo and it was pretty straightforward and well explained. The other hacks, as you stated, are a bit murky.

Direct TV gets my $5.00 for Tivo service every month. I wouldn't know about any of that other stuff.
Posted by: Waterman981

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 15/04/2003 23:08

I may have a friend who is interested. He almost bought a new one on Sunday. I'll find out tomorrow.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 00:26

The unit has already been sold.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 11:51

it's actually illegal to steal service from Tivo
I didn't intend to say it wasn't illegal. The freedom lies in the ability to research Tivo hacking. Theft of service cannot be sugar coated. If you are looking for ways to get Tivo service without paying, you know what you're considering doing is illegal.

I support Tivo because I would rather see them succeed than die.

I know some dude that steals both DirecTV and Tivo service. It seems outrageous to me, but if that's that guy's bag who am I to preach to him?
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 12:36

but if that's that guy's bag who am I to preach to him?

Someone with a moral center and a feeling for the difference between right and wrong, perhaps?

tanstaafl.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 12:45

And how shall they know without a preacher?

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 12:47

Perhaps, but the theft of DirecTV is so widespread it's not like he is the only pirate. I'd say that 1/3 of the people I know with DirecTV are stealing it. It simply doesn't shock me, so I don't really get into it.

At least it's not cable. The vast majority of people I know with analog cable steal cable or cable services.
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 12:52

I should have clarified my statements... I just like quoting scripture... I can't say much. I've never stolen cable or the like... but I have Kazaa on my computer.... I 'm not sure there's a lot of difference.

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 16/04/2003 13:13

After thinking about what I said about cable theft, I think the only cable subscribers that I know that don't steal is my grandparents. That realization is pretty scary. I don't claim to be innocent. I have stolen cable in the past but I still subscribed to basic cable and HBO. I'm not sure that makes it any better though...
Posted by: simspos

Re: [OT] Hughes GXCEBOT DIrect Tivo For Sale - 17/04/2003 02:23

Can I pass you a really large shovel Rob so you can dig that hole a bit deeper