Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player?

Posted by: mlord

Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 03/04/2005 18:53

I'm thinking of selling my final template for the Home Dock shell. Once that happens, it will be near impossible for me to ever make another Home Dock.

So, before it vanishes.. does anyone else here want to buy a Home Dock shell (unwired wooden shell only)? Details of construction and wiring are (for now) still available at the Home Docks link above.

Please post here ASAP if you think you might want a bare dock shell, before I effectively "destroy the mold." Cost per unit would be somewhere under US$100, S&H included.

Thanks
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 03/04/2005 22:07

Why "destroy the mold" at all? Could the "mold" and process be sold to someone else for later production; a la 303 fascias (though the second run never came around, the potential was there).

Or are you trying to maintain quality controll and rarity of your creation? Or has it simply reached market saturation (within reason)?

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 00:56

I think the supply/demand curves have intersected, and I have the one remaining complete parts set taking up space in the shop. Either I barter them as-is, or I do another small run of them before doing so. That's all.

Cheers
Posted by: caseyse

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 00:59

Mark,

I would like to take your last unit off your hands. Please PM me. - Sean
Posted by: Rod

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 01:42

I'm interested in a bare dock shell.

Rod.
Posted by: Ladmo

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 01:46

caseyse,
I was trying to work a deal with ML for his last dock (and parts) which is what prompted him to make this thread. I would trust that ML would honor this IF he decides not to make another run...Mark?
Posted by: Gleep

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 02:09

I would be interested in 2 more docks!
Posted by: eliceo

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 03:15

If you make more I am interested in buying one.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 03:19

Quote:
caseyse,
I was trying to work a deal with ML for his last dock (and parts) which is what prompted him to make this thread. I would trust that ML would honor this IF he decides not to make another run...Mark?

Yup you're right, this last dock has your name on it.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 17:24

Anyone else want one?
Posted by: treize

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 17:34

I'd be interested in a dock, shell or complete.
Posted by: BAKup

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 18:28

<AOL>Me Too!</AOL>
Posted by: Terminator

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 19:11

I'd like another dock if you wanted to make some more.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 19:38

If you could be convinced to do a last run of real wood (those cherry wood ones you did where beautiful) I'd take one.

-Mike

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 21:38

Eeeks! More interest here than I'd expected!

Okay, so here is what is happening thus far:

I have about 10-15 (not sure.. gotta recount to confirm) inner and outer back panels, which are/were very fussy to cut out originally. I will NOT be making any more of those, ever.

And I just came back up from the shop, where I've cut out enough side panel blanks (MDF) to match the inner/outer back panels. Lots more work is needed to finish those (nine more machining operations per blank).

That leaves tops/bottoms, of which I currently have exactly one set (MDF). So I need to make more of them to complete this series. And those can be made of pretty much any materials.

Fancy wood increases my/your costs (materials and labour), but not by a whole lot. I don't want to spray finish anything, though, as things are still pretty busy around here and that stuff really soaks up time.

I don't want to get into doing the wiring or even supplying the parts for that (docking connectors, fans, pins, RCA jacks, DC-power jack, serial port connector..), so this run will be all unwired SHELLS regardless.

Note: perhaps somebody in the USA could consider being "point man" for the parts, doing a single bulk order from DigiKey, and then redistributing them to the other purchasers when the time comes. Whoever takes on this role first will automatically get onto the list for a shell.

In summary, I have started up a new batch of around 10+ unwired dock shells, which will have MDF side panels like all previous docks (including the cherry ones).

I have not decided what to use for tops/bottoms, but anything other than MDF will increase the cost by perhaps $20-$30 over the sub-$100 price for plain MDF tops/bottoms. MDF is best for painting, whereas real wood is best finished with something clear (shellac, polyurethane, etc..).

Those of you who have expressed interest (and those who want to), please post again and say what your top/bottom preference would be: MDF ($85), or unfinished real wood ($115), or finished real-wood ($140). Those are approximate SHIPPED price estimates, which may vary in the end by $5-10 up or down.

In the meanwhile, I'll continue to putter along in the shop, and when I have some to sell, I'll go through this thread to figure out who gets first shot at them.

Cheers
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 21:49

I'd take a fancy real wood dock.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 21:53

If available, I would love a real-wood finished dock.
Posted by: longhorn

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 22:28

I would like a MDF dock if it's not too much trouble.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 22:40

Mark, is there anyway to make a fancy wood one minus the back? That way I could slip my MKI into it.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 23:32

1 shell, MDF works for me.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 23:33

Oh, shoot.. forgot all about yours, Laura! Do you still want just a sleeve to encase your Mk1 metal sled?

EDIT: and do the Mk1 units have cooling holes on the lid? How should the airflow work for that.. wouldn't want to cook it, ya know!

Cheers
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 23:48

Disclaimer: I'm not posting this as a request for either myself nor am I speaking for anybody...

Mark, would you be open to letting someone borrow the design to make more copies in the future, giving you a cut and still calling them "Mark Lord Docks"? With all of the resources shown lately in new facias and button kits, there seems to be the posibility that someone here could keep the docks going. We all understand that you are pressed for time and are not able to invest many hours into future runs. The more time I have spent using the two docks I've purchased from you, the more I realize you spent a lot of time and care designing them (ie, they are not simply a wooden box). Because of this, I think that if anyone else made docks, you should get some money on each unit sold to compensate you for your design. I also think that if anyone made docks, they would be "borrowing" your design which would still belong to you if you ever decided to make future docks. It would be a shame to see these no longer made. The two I have now are great, but I could see myself need another in a year.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 04/04/2005 23:56

Quote:

Mark, would you be open to letting someone borrow the design to make more copies in the future

Thanks for the kind words on the Dock design. For now, I prefer to focus on the current new run of shells. After this is over, I hope to have no more parts left at all, and thus no more means to ever reproduce them (well, I might save one internal rear connector panel for myself for use in a larger 2-deck dock for my office, but..).

If there arises sufficient demand a year from now, well, we'll see what happens then. If it sounds like I'm avoiding a direct answer, that's because I am!

Cheers

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 00:02

Fair enough!

As long as there is something sitting around for you to reverse engineer, that'll work! I'd just hate for you to reinvent the wheel a year from now.
Posted by: Rod

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 00:15

I'm interested in an MDF shell.

Thanks,

Rod.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 00:45

I'll take a unfinished real wood shell please.

EDIT: ARRRRG unfinshed, unfinished, I'm needing more sleep than I've been getting...Or just more caffeine.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 02:18

i'll take one MDF shell please
Posted by: Laura

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 09:24

Nevermind Mark. It doesn't just slide into the shell like I thought it would. The sides would have to be notched differently. It does have holes on the lid though.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 05/04/2005 11:00

I would like both to be MDF.

Thanks
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 07/04/2005 02:16

I'm still in for one unfinished fancy wood shell. I'd be upgrading an existing dock so I guess I really just need the top and bottom panels if that would save a couple bucks (and not be a pain for you).

-Mike

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 07/04/2005 10:39

Your existing top panel is firmly glued into place, and cannot be removed/replaced without damaging the rest of the dock.

Cheers

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 07/04/2005 15:47

Mark, has anyone sent you pics of a "decked out" dock? I'm thinking of getting the light kit for my empeg and I'm trying to decide what color to finish the dock in. With black, the empeg would blend into the dock. How tacky would a LED 40x40x10 fan be with the same color LED as the facia?

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 07/04/2005 16:52

The fan is completely hidden within the dock, and is not at all visible from any angle when the player is docked.
Posted by: banghi

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 08/04/2005 15:14

please put me down for an MDF...
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 08/04/2005 23:40

Quote:
I'd take a fancy real wood dock.

Take your pick.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 11/04/2005 12:38

I'd also like an MDF one. If available. If not, I'll consider real wood, just let me know.

Who wants all of the components supplied? - 12/04/2005 00:05

Okay, many more responses than I'd expected.

Also, there'll be a delay of a few weeks on these, mostly caused by unexpected good weather here in the Great White North. I'm about to log geocache #1000, a kind of major milestone up this way.

Now.. as it happens, I have another project on the go that requires a large order of parts from DigiKey, so perhaps I could order many of the dock bits'n'pieces at the same time. Especially the fans and docking connectors/pins.

Having me supply those will raise the cost of the dock shells (still unwired) by perhaps $30 each, depending on how many of the bits and pieces I get. Each dock needs: fan, docking connector/pins, DB-9M serial, RJ-45 coupler, 2xRCA audio, power-jackl, and 500ohm VR.

So an unwired MDF shell will cost about US$115 delivered; and more for solid wood docks.

Sound reasonable? I figure I'll get 10 sets of parts, and any shells beyond that will be completely barebones and go for $85 or so, delivered.

Cheers

Re: Who wants all of the components supplied? - 12/04/2005 00:58

I would prefer all components supplied.

Thanks
Gleep

Re: Who wants all of the components supplied? - 12/04/2005 02:10

My wish list...Two real-wood finished docks, with components.

Re: Who wants all of the components supplied? - 12/04/2005 03:04

I would like a mdf shell with parts if possible.
Posted by: Foz

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 12/04/2005 03:07

Well, FWIW I know you're probably out of parts now, and you have said repeatedly you don't want to make them anymore (I'd imagine they were probably tedious as hell to make) but I'd sure love to have a complete one. I'd try and make my own but I'm far better with XEmacs and a compiler than I'll ever be with routers and drills and such.

I was out of work (laid off from Sun Microsystems) for a good long time when you were selling them originally, and couldn't justify the expense. I'm a programmer, but spent the last 3 years painting houses, selling coffee, mowing lawns and pulling down the occasional short term contract. I'm back at work at eBay now (after 3 long years, sheesh) and now that I have an income again everyone has stopped selling empeg goodies (boo).

If you could be cajoled into making your famous home docks again, even for a limited run, I'd definitely buy one. If you really want to be quit of them I'd sure love to see you pass the torch to someone so that I might possibly get a chance at one. If not, well I respect your right to make your own decisions and I'm sure I'll survive I just wish I'd been in a better position earlier.

-- Gary F.

Re: Who wants all of the components supplied? - 12/04/2005 12:35

I would like an MDF dock w/ supplies please.
Posted by: Snowshoe

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 15/04/2005 23:44

Perhaps I've arrived @ this thread a little late but, I would most definitely want a complete MDF dock w/electrics if you could. I've been patiently waiting for another batch not realizing you planned on getting out of it altogether. I just thought you were taking a break from the last run.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 16/04/2005 03:48

Quote:
I would like a MDF dock if it's not too much trouble.

If still available I would like components too.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 16/04/2005 18:37

Okay, if all goes well, these should happen in May 2005.

Cheers

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 08/05/2005 00:11

The Home Docks page has now been updated with a current shop photo and status.

The dock shells in this run are constructed entirely of MDF (sorry, no ordinary wood tops/bottoms here), and are almost ready for glue-up now. I estimate first payment/shipment to happen within 10 days or so, unless my new Dell notebook computer arrives before then..

Cheers
Posted by: smithj

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 08/05/2005 07:26

I would love to buy a dock if any are still available.

Re: Who wants a Home Dock for their Empeg/Rio Car player? - 08/05/2005 10:15

Quote:
Nevermind Mark. It doesn't just slide into the shell like I thought it would. The sides would have to be notched differently. It does have holes on the lid though.

But It will fit regardless if we just ensure the sleeve has a full DIN sized opening.. right!?

The first glue-ups! - 08/05/2005 16:00

Okay, it appears that I have sufficient good parts now for a total of about 15 MDF dock shells. Glue-up began today, and there's an updated photo on the Home Docks page showing some of the progress thus far.

Once I have some docks ready to sell, I'll post again here and begin accepting payments etc.. Those who have already expressed interest in this thread will likely get first crack at them.

This time around, the limiting factor is the number of "inner back" pieces.. these were the most difficult parts to create, as every cut (and there's a lot of cuts) has to be pretty much exactly in the right place, with sub-millimetre tolerance. I don't know if I'll ever want to make more of those parts once this lot sells out.

Cheers

Needed: Parts Central for Wiring docks. - 09/05/2005 11:45

Okay, I'm not going to be supplying anything other than the bare MDF shells, plus the internal ethernet cable.

So that means that there will be a need for someone else to supply 10-20 parts kits for wiring up these suckers. Either that, or each purchaser of a shell will then have to source their own parts in "quantity 1", raising the end cost somewhat.

As before, if we have a volunteer that others are happy with, then that person could order the parts and then remail kits to others etc, lowing everyone's costs. And that person will have the option to purchase as many of this run of shells as they want.. (corner the market!).

Perhaps they might even buy the lot, and wire them and then resell.

Anyone interested?

Come and get'em! - 09/05/2005 19:39

I have 10 all-MDF dock shells (unwired, except for internal ethernet patch cable) just about ready to mail. These shells are priced at US$80, shipping + paypal fees included. Overseas shipments will cost $20 more (airmail) and likely arrive sooner than USA shipments.

The following users get first dibs for the next 24 hours, after that it becomes first-come first served:

ladmo
(got email, thanks)
caseyse
Rod
Gleep
elico
(got email, thanks)
treize
(got email, thanks)
BAKup
(got email, thanks
Terminator
(got email, thanks)
longhorn
(got email, thanks)
banghi
(got email, thanks)
l0ser
(got email, thanks)
Foz
Snowshoe
smithj

If you are on the list above, then email me (mlord at pobox dot com) and identify yourself with name and mailing address. Do NOT send payment until I reply to you asking for Paypal.

A few extra shells will also get built sometime later this spring/summer, but we'll be scraping the bottom of the discards bin for those!

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 19:10

Thus far, eight people from the original list have now replied by email, as noted in the edited posting above.

I can now take additional requests by email.

Today I stopped by the local electronics depot (tiny) to see if they had *any* of the electrical bits and pieces in stock, just toying with the idea of perhaps wiring up a few full docks. No luck. Nothing, nada.

Not even the special RJ45 crimp-on connectors I like -- which may mean a slight delay even on this first bunch of dock shells, since I do prewire that portion regardless (and there are NOT even 10 sets of connectors on hand .. oops!).

I will be sending out payment requests for the first of these shells as soon as I can wire up the internal ethernet patch cables (those RJ45 gizmos) and pack'em up for shipment.

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 19:16

Oh yeah, everyone please note:

These are bare MDF shells, with only a small internal ethernet patch cable installed. These do NOT work as-is. You'll have to purchase elsewhere a docking connector, RCA jacks, and a DC power jack (for use with your AC Adapter) to make them usable. Plus a DB9 connector for the serial port if you want that. Plus wire it all up (not difficult).

Thus the discounted price. If I could still talk SWMBO into ordering all the parts here and wiring them, they'd cost an extra $100 or so each. No go.

Wiring instructions are on the Home Docks page.

Cheers!

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 20:51

A parts list that I put together.
The serial connector is missing from the list. If anyone can provide a link for that, and perhaps the AC Jack at Digikey, I will update it. Does someone here (USA) want to source these parts for distribution, or should we try to fend for ourselves?

Also, does that list look right?

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 21:09

There's a parts list (with many Digikey numbers) linked-to from the Home Docks page.

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 21:47

Yep. Which is what I went off of. But, it didn't have pricing or nice convenient links to the parts.

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 21:49

Ah, okay. But your list looked shorter than mine.. did you miss something from the original list?

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 21:55

I didn't add the bits of wire, and I couldn't find the exact DB9 piece. I also didn't include the felt pads and I appear to have overlooked the Power Connectors.

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 22:00

Added Power Pins for Docking Connector.

Re: Come and get'em! - 10/05/2005 22:47

Good. I just noticed my own list was missing "RJ45 data coupler" for the external ethernet socket.

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 11/05/2005 12:27

Quote:

Not even the special RJ45 crimp-on connectors I like -- which may mean a slight delay even on this first bunch of dock shells, since I do prewire that portion regardless (and there are NOT even 10 sets of connectors on hand .. oops!).

Okay, I've made a tiny design change (first time in years) on the docks, and they can now be used with store-bought 12" ethernet patch cables internally, which solves the problem I was having with getting the EZ-RJ45 connectors (above). An added benefit is that this design permits easier field-replacement of the patch cable should it ever fail.

Now to see if I can find 12" patch cables at a reasonable price (gonna try at the Borg..).

Cheers
Posted by: jarob10

Re: Come and get'em! - 12/05/2005 12:36

Quote:
I can now take additional requests by email.

Email sent! Hope I am not too late.

Re: Come and get'em! - 20/05/2005 16:17

As of today, the first 13 of the new dock shells are now all in the mail to various destinations. I have two more here to sell, and no more (zero, nadda) in the pipeline -- having run completely out of back panels and inner panels, the trickiest pieces to make.

I'm hoping to hear back from Rod B. and Jeff B. on the final two, before looking for new takers.

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 22/05/2005 16:12

All are now gone.

-ml
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Come and get'em! - 22/05/2005 21:03

Thanks Mark for all your hard work making these! my empegs thank you as well! I absolutly love my cherry dock and will love this new one just as much especially since I get the fun of wiring it up

Re: Come and get'em! - 22/05/2005 22:52

Oh, just to add a little extra suspense and excitement.. some of the new dock shells are "two-toned" (similar to the middle 100 or so of the main run), and the the others are a more uniform "MDF brown/beige" colour. I boxed them all up plain before sticking address labels onto them, so no idea who gets which sub-variety. You'll just have to wait and see!

Cheers

Re: Come and get'em! - 23/05/2005 15:55

I just got a present in the mail today!!

Great work Mark! Keep up the good work!

Re: Come and get'em! - 23/05/2005 23:07

My two came today! Thanks Mark!
Posted by: SonicSnoop

Re: Come and get'em! - 23/05/2005 23:13

got mine as well! Thanks Mark!

Re: Come and get'em! - 25/05/2005 16:03

What size screws are needed to attach the fan and sled plug?

Re: Come and get'em! - 25/05/2005 16:14

For the fan, a pair of #4 x 3/4" round head "metal" screws.

For the docking connector, a pair of #4 x 1/2" round head "metal" screws.

[EDIT] I've just now added those to the parts list on the docks page..

-ml

Re: Come and get'em! - 25/05/2005 16:17

Thanks again.

*runs out to the hardware store*

Re: Come and get'em! - 25/05/2005 16:18

Don't forget the two #6 x 1/2" flat head wood screws for the underside of the lid!

Don't lose the ethernet block! - 25/05/2005 16:26

These dock shells have one part "loose" in the packing (newspaper bits): a small machined MDF block that is essential for hooking up the internal ethernet cable.

Be sure not to toss it out with the packing materials!

There are photos on the docks page showing how to install this block.

Cheers

Re: Don't lose the ethernet block! - 25/05/2005 18:36

You mean that little block of wood I'm using as a door stop?

j/k Very nice work on the docks, everything just falls into place easily.

I got in the parts from digikey, and starting to wire it up. Looks fairly straight forward, I shouldn't burn myself or set the place on fire.

Re: Come and get'em! - 02/06/2005 18:41

Okay, by now I expect that all of the dock shells should have reached their destinations. If you are expecting one, then check the Home Docks page (link at top) for a tracking number, and find out what's happended to it.

For the USA, the tracking numbers are for Canada Post's "Expedited Parcel" service, which translates into "surface parcel" or some such thing for the USPS.

Two of the shells have gone overseas: one to Britain, which ought to have arrived by now, and another to Australia -- which should be there now or within a few days I expect. No tracking numbers for these two, but delivery should be quite reliable in those parts of the world.

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Come and get'em! - 02/06/2005 18:51

Looks like maybe "Global Economy Parcel Post"? But the 6-9 days estimate makes it looks more like "Global Priority Mail". Ah, who knows? USPS options are remarkably confusing anyway, not helped by the fact that they don't seem to have a simple chart of them.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Come and get'em! - 02/06/2005 19:01

I doubt the USPS has any clue what it translates to either. When Mark sent me his old digital camera and a dock that I bought from him, they left the well insured package which explicitly required a signature in front of my door in a sketchy college student appartment building.

Matthew

Re: Come and get'em! - 02/06/2005 19:15

Received mine. Beautiful. Thanks.
Posted by: Ladmo

Re: Come and get'em! - 03/06/2005 09:51

I got mine last week! Thanks, Mark! And thanks for the surprise! (I always enjoy reading the paper!)

Re: Come and get'em! - 04/06/2005 06:17

Received mine. Thanks again Mark!