Last time I'll say it...

Posted by: wfaulk

Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 17:56

I'm sure you'll all be happy to hear that this is the last time I'll be saying this:

... because I'm unemployed ...

The reason? Because I got me a damn job! In Unix systems administration, even! And it actually sounds interesting, as opposed to many I've applied for in the past months.

It doesn't pay as much as I'd like, but it pays more than $00,000/year, so it's better than I'm doing now.

Woo-hoo!
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 18:04

Awesome, Bitt. Although I do hope you can maintain your high level of contribution to the BBS while you're working a full time job. Do what I do, read the BBS at work when something's installing or compiling.

Congrats!
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 18:16

Although I do hope you can maintain your high level of contribution to the BBS while you're working a full time job.

Well, I dunno. When I read Bitt's news, I was thinking that the rest of us could maybe loosen our metaphorical neck ties, kick off our shoes, and toss a few inappropriate adjectives and adverbs around!!

Irregardless (and you know I'm kidding, Bitt), that's great news. Plus, these days, you no doubt had lots of qualified competition. Double congratulations!
Posted by: Laura

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 21:11

Guess it had to happen to even you

Hey, good luck.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 22:45

Woot. Way to be. What sort of admin work is it (what makes it sound interesting)?

I tried sysadmin work. Hated it, but it gave me a HUGE appreciation for the poor sods that have to (or worse, like to) do it.

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 23:25

Well, first off, it's all Unix admin. I shouldn't ever have to touch a Windows box.

Secondly, it's all-purpose admin stuff, rather than doing one thing over and over, like if I were a mail admin or a database admin or whatever. It's just a bunch of machines and I've gotta keep them running. Makes learning new stuff easier when there's always new stuff to learn.

And I'm one of the poor fools who actually likes admin work. It's a pain to be on call (and I think I'll have much less of that this go around), but otherwise, I really like that sort of problem solving.
Posted by: jheathco

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 23/08/2002 23:59

Congrats Bitt, you're a smart fellow so I'm not the least bit surprised... only surprised at the time it took you to find a job
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 24/08/2002 02:15

Yeah, I wondered that too. I think Bitt's one of the smartest fellows on this board, and it still took thim that long to find a job that he liked.

So either he's REALLY picky, or decent admin jobs are really scarce.

Eitherway, congrats Bitt !!!
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 24/08/2002 03:59

Can I start saying it instead, then? The job ran out on Thursday....
Posted by: jheathco

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 24/08/2002 10:55

What is this crap? I'm sorry to hear that.

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 24/08/2002 11:02

I'm sorry. I didn't mean for my getting a job to deprive someone else of one.

Maybe we can trade back and forth.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Last time I'll say it... - 24/08/2002 15:02

I shouldn't ever have to touch a Windows box.

And there was much rejoicing all around.

Secondly, it's all-purpose admin stuff, rather than doing one thing over and over, [...] I really like that sort of problem solving.

Yeah, the problem solving part is fun. Unfortunately, I found I was doing too much over and over.

Congrats again.