Remote server monitoring

Posted by: robricc

Remote server monitoring - 15/09/2002 22:13

Can anyone recommend a service that would ping a few IPs and simpy page me when the pings go unanswered? I prefer something cheap. My BBS picture isn't showing because that server took a dump. It has apparently been acting oddly since Friday, but nobody that uses that machine told me. Thanks.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Remote server monitoring - 15/09/2002 22:28

AlertMeF!rst does that. I'm not so sure about their pricing structure, but I guess for uptime and availability people will pay almost anything. So, with that perspective, this is cheap.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Remote server monitoring - 15/09/2002 22:35

That is exactly what I want! I was looking at Netcraft's pricing. That is hella expensive compared to AlertMeFirst. So, this seems like a winner. Thanks!
Posted by: ricin

Re: Remote server monitoring - 15/09/2002 22:40

No problem.

NetCraft's pricing seems insane, I didn't really read into what they offer, but it better be friggen killer for that kind of money!
Posted by: David

Re: Remote server monitoring - 16/09/2002 01:32

If you want to run something on one of your own machines, also consider BigBrother http://bb4.com/ and NetSaint http://www.netsaint.org/
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Remote server monitoring - 16/09/2002 09:54

I use a free program called ServersAlive that I've found suits my needs exactly. It's free for just a handful of addresses, and you pay if you want it to monitor more addresses.

In fact, it was in this very forum that I asked the same question and was eventually directed to ServersAlive.
Posted by: george

Re: Remote server monitoring - 08/11/2002 04:35

You can try out a software called iMON that can continously monitor a specific Host (that exists either inside the network or outside the network). Alerts may be set, and much more. iMON is a comprehensive server/application monitoring and administration solution that can monitor crucial aspects of your server, application and network environments. A 15-day trial version is available at www.eIQnetworks.com. I'm sure you'll find it useful.

Hope this helps-
George.