NIC identification

Posted by: Dignan

NIC identification - 19/09/2002 22:13

I need some way of identifying the make and model of a NIC via Win 98. I need to install divers but lost all info on the card and the OS can't find the drivers on the install disk.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: NIC identification - 19/09/2002 22:22

I don't remember much about Win 98 specifically, but if there's a MAC address printed on the card (or if you can retrieve MAC address using something like "net diag") then you can at least get a start by looking up the manufacturer from the MAC prefix. Does Win98 identify it as anything?

(edit: Win 95...98...no matter)
Posted by: image

Re: NIC identification - 19/09/2002 22:25

open up the machine and look at the labels on the card.
Posted by: andym

Re: NIC identification - 20/09/2002 07:06

if you go to start menu, select run and type winipcfg on a 98 machine you will get the MAC address of the NIC. On 2000 and NT, type ipconfig in a DOS box. I personally look at the card, identify an important looking IC (usually the great big fat one in the middle) and do an internet search. I also look at stickers on the cards that have serial-like numbers and do searches on them too. More often than not, the name of the Manufacturer is printed on the card anyway.
This reminds me of when I used to have a PCI soft-modem, ah, the joy I had trying to remember the name of the manufacturer of the modem when it came to reinstall time (was it Spasmotron or Wankotech? I can never remember). I've found in Linux it easier because people write drivers for chipsets instead of specific cards.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: NIC identification - 20/09/2002 15:44

You can also search for FCC IDs at the FCC's web site. Try entering it a whole bunch of ways (whole thing, just the prefix, leave off numbers, etc.). Their search algorithm seems a little flaky.
Posted by: muzza

Re: NIC identification - 20/09/2002 16:52

I know that debug can be used to scope out memory contents. I've used it to find out the manufacturer of various cards without taking the thing apart.
Type:
debug

d [address] [range limit]

to get a listing of the memory contents at that location.
if you know the address of the card's ROM, you can find out what it is advertising to the system
Posted by: tman

Re: NIC identification - 20/09/2002 17:16

If it's a PCI card then you can identify it from the PCI vendor and device ID.

Download Advanced PCI info and look it up here

- Trevor