Secondary DNS

Posted by: wfaulk

Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 13:49

Does anyone with a static IP that runs a DNS server want to trade secondary DNS service? I'm just on a DSL line, and it's mostly just hobbyist and personal stuff, so I'm not talking a lot of traffic. Conversely, I don't want to trade with someone that's going to have a lot of DNS traffic, either.

I'm just tired of having both of my published DNS servers behind the same network, so preferably someone who's not a Telocity/DirecTVDSL customer.
Posted by: pim

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:03

secondary.com will be your secondary for free.

Pim
Posted by: andy

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:09

and http://www.gradwell.com/ will do 100 domains for £20 a year, highly recommended if secondary's limits are too low.
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:13

secondary.com redirects to ultradns.com and I can't see any free services. Did I miss something?
Posted by: pim

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:18

Oh well, it used to be free before the acquisition ...

Pim
Posted by: Amarth

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:23

try zoneedit.com

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 16:44

I'd already considered the free secondaries out there, but, in general, I'd rather deal with another person, rather than some amorphous entity, even if that means less uptime.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: Secondary DNS - 24/10/2002 17:31

I just emailed you.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: Secondary DNS - 25/10/2002 09:43

I'll do it for you. I can do secondary MX, too, if you don't have a ton of email traffic. I never have more than a few GB free on my server.

My ISP does secondary for free. Have you checked with your ISP? I have a particularly great ISP, though. I know many don't do this.

Let me know.

Jim

Re: Secondary DNS - 25/10/2002 09:48

I don't really need a secondary MX, and I do have a little too much mail traffic coming in.

In fact, the reason that I wanted a topologically separate DNS was so that mail being sent to me when my server was down would queue and not bounce due to a lack of any MX record at all.