Just a random thought

Posted by: butter

Just a random thought - 29/10/2002 22:05

Does anybody remember the cartoon Danger Mouse?

"He’s the greatest, he’s fantastic, wherever there is danger he’ll be there."

"Hoah Crumbs!"

Think I'll order those episodes on dvd this weekend

Posted by: robricc

Re: Just a random thought - 29/10/2002 22:12

Yeah, that was on Nickelodeon when I was a kid. I watched it fairly regularly, but I don't think I could sit through it now.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Just a random thought - 29/10/2002 22:23

Methinks y'all need this .
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 00:14

Dude, I remember that! I watched that as much as possible when I was a kid! But I agree, I'd probably hate it now. I mean hey, I loved Thundercats...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 01:27

Am I getting old? I can't fathom having the phrases "Nickelodeon" and "When I was a Kid" refer to the same time-space continuum.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 03:50

I'm with you on that one - I don't recognise any cartoons on the kids channels these days. My 2 year old son is impressed by Dora the Explorer, though - they use English and Spanish. Seems like a cunning education tactic.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 04:34

Greetings!

Of course, the most amusing of the cunning education tactics were the Schoolhouse Rock episodes. Hard to believe there is a 30th anniversary collection on DVD... Gettin' old...

Another classic from a slightly more surrealistic time are the old Sid & Marty Krofft episodes. Again, I don't think I could sit and watch them today, but in days of yore with rubber suit monsters and "cutting edge" special effects...

Can you tell that I have recently crossed over that bridge into the "35-49" marketing segment. My opinions in entertainment, TV, music, beer, etc. don't matter anymore. But if you want to know about muscle ache creams, I am the one they ask...
Posted by: phaigh

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 05:33

Crumbs....
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 07:43

I think you'd be surprised. There was almost as much adult humor in Dangermouse as there was in Looney Tunes.

Although I'd be interested to know whether Stiletto has an Italian or Cockney accent on the DVDs.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 07:44

Am I getting old?

Yes.

But, you have to remeber that the Nickelodeon of my time was not like it is today. Nick had bascially no original programming. The network seemed to be geared toward more "grown up kids." This didn't stop me from watching it since I can remember though.

The shows I liked most were "You can't do that on Television," "Out of Control," "Inspector Gadget," and "Danger Mouse" to a lesser extent. I think all of those shows, except DM (UK?), are Canadian. Plus, You Can't Do That on Television was just one fart joke after another. That show had great impact on my sense of humor. There is nothing funnier than bodily functions. I bet Sponge Bob doesn't fart.
Posted by: genixia

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 07:56

My son's just gettng into Dora - I personally find it annoying as it's totally formula. His other favourites are Bob The Builder and Spongebob Squarepants (that his parents enjoy way too much..)

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 08:07

Can you tell that I have recently crossed over that bridge into the "35-49" marketing segment.

Lucky guy, you haven't crossed over *out* of that marketing segment yet!

I wasn't very descriptive in my last post, but, while there are many cartoons that stand a test of "Wow, we've gotten old" time to some extent thanks to the multi-layer humor, I have yet to find anything that succeeded as well as Beany and Cecil .

I still enjoy the occasional dose of Jay Ward stuff -- Rocky and Bullwinkle and George of the Jungle -- but I think B&C (edit: a better B&C link here)rule.

(Aah, my friend tells me there are new Wallace and Gromit out from Aardman, so maybe some addtiional entertainment this winter!)

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 08:08

my nephew has now been banned from wathing Dora because he likes the character Swipe. Liking the character is no problem it's the fact that he acts like swipe and hides things from my sister. I find it cute, but then again I don't have to deal with it.
Posted by: peter

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 08:33

Although I'd be interested to know whether Stiletto has an Italian or Cockney accent on the DVDs.

What, are you saying they made him a cockney when they showed it in the US? And that they didn't bother changing his name to match?

What use is Stiletto without "Si, Barone"?

Peter

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 08:46

You cant forget Turkey Television on the classic Nick.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 09:57

What, are you saying they made him a cockney when they showed it in the US?
Yes. One would assume that it might have had to do with negative Italian stereotypes, but it was the mid 80s (right?), and PC wasn't in full force back, so who knows?

Interestingly, I bought some Dangermouse on (commercial, legitimate) NTSC VHS (so intended for the US market) a long time ago that had his Italian accent, which is when I found out about this discrepancy.
    What use is Stiletto without "Si, Barone"?
This was changed (IIRC) to ``Right, Baroney''. I always thought that was a slightly odd affectation (to put a trailing -ey suffix on Baron), but I just chalked it up to affectation, not lip (beak?) sync issues before I found out about the redub.

It sounded like that's the way it was originally recorded, so it wasn't a poor hack-and-slice audio edit. I have no real explanations, only evidence.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 10:42

But, you have to remeber that the Nickelodeon of my time was not like it is today. Nick had bascially no original programming. The network seemed to be geared toward more "grown up kids." This didn't stop me from watching it since I can remember though.

But that's my point. When I was a kid, there was no such thing as Nickelodeon. Heck, there was barely any such thing as cable television. There were the network over-the-air broadcast stations, there were independent broadcast stations, and there was HBO if you got cable. The concept of a "TV network" that you couldn't even pick up with rabbit-ear antennas was unfathomable.

We got our cartoons on Saturday mornings with rabbit ears, thank you very much.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 10:50

When I was a kid, there was no such thing as Nickelodeon.

Really. No way to watch (shudder) Mister Ed reruns!

The concept of a "TV network" that you couldn't even pick up with rabbit-ear antennas was unfathomable.

Yep, Channels 4, 5, and 7 (oh, and 2!) NBC, CBS, ABC and WGBH. Then at some point 2 UHF stations appeared, but our TV didn't receive UHF... (Nostalgic echoes of The Old Man's grumpy "We *have* a color TV. Two colors!")
Posted by: jheathco

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 11:13

Most of the good cartoons are gone now, occassionally you'll see a classic warner bros episode with bugs bunny, marvin the martian or those guys. I just remember watching Road Runner, Duck Tales, Goof Troop, all the classics

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 12:50

In reply to:

What, are you saying they made him a cockney when they showed it in the US?

Yes. One would assume that it might have had to do with negative Italian stereotypes, but it was the mid 80s (right?), and PC wasn't in full force back, so who knows?

i found this in a website talking about DangerMouse:

"Stilletto, in the original episodes that aired in England, had an Italian accent, but Nick viewed it as being politically incorrect, and in the American episodes he has a Cockney accent."

When The Cartoon Network started to show Looney Tunes they would never show any of the Speedy Gonzalez episodes. The network felt that Speedy's buddies who were always drunk and napping portrayed Mexicans in a poor light, so they just chose not to show them. A few months ago I was reading FoxNews.com and there was an article write up on this fact which sent off a big letter writing campaign to the Cartoon Network until they gave in and showed a few Speedy cartoons. Since they showed a few I think the fuss has died down and things are back to the way they were and no Speedy is being shown. Seems to me that people have way too much time on their hands and need to get a life... wait a sec, I'm ordering DangerMouse on DVD

/me thinks I'm one of them

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 13:07

Nickelodeon started in 1979, just how old are you?

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 13:23

Nickelodeon started in 1979, just how old are you?

Well, then, I was 12 when Nickelodeon started. But at that point I don't think too many households could get it. I didn't even know it existed at that time. In fact, I don't think I knew about its existence until the 90's.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 15:29

Hmmm.... Some of my earliest TV memories are of The Great Space Coaster (USA) , you know, the one with Gary Gnu, Where no gnu's is good gnews). And shortly thereafter, Fraggle Rock. (HBO) I have had acble as long as I could remember though. Oh, and the TV in the game room (adjacent to mine) Somehow got the playboy channel when I was around 12-13. The odd thing about THAT was that it was unscrambled, and this TV was 20 years old or so at the time. In fact, you used a rotary knob to change the channels. My parents still don't know about that one!
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 16:03

occassionally you'll see a classic warner bros episode with bugs bunny

I have known many folks to express the opinion (which I share, BTW) that the best single cartoon of all time has to be the uncut version of "Bugs Bunny - the Barber of Seville".

Anybody familiar with that one? It is at least 40 years old now.

tanstaafl.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 16:04

I was partial to "Ali Baba Bunny" myself.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 17:50

I believe I have that one on LaserDisc, as a matter of fact. It's actually known as ``The Rabbit of Seville'', and was made in 1950. I think that it's a little overrated as a cartoon, but it certainly showcases the remarkable direction those guys were capable of (that was a Chuck Jones, wasn't it?) and the remarkable talents of Carl Stalling, the most overlooked Looney Tunes staff member.

I've always been partial to early Daffy Duck myself. Back well before he was simply a foil to Bugs, when he was basically a more intense version of Bugs.

In fact, my favorite Looney Tune is ``The Up-Standing Sitter'', starring Daffy. It keeps me in stitches every time I watch it.

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 18:59

I was definitely watching Nick in the late 80's.

I also remember some show about some people who were searching for some city of gold. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Hell, it's probably called something like "Search for the Lost City of Gold."
Posted by: ricin

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 19:32

The Mysterious Cities of Gold. I have episodes 1 - 39 in .rm.
Posted by: lectric

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 20:49

Ooh Ooh.... I gotta know where to get those! I had completely forgotten about that show....

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 20:54

Dude, that's it! I'd ask you for them, but as I've said elsewhere, RA is not for me...
Posted by: ricin

Re: Just a random thought - 30/10/2002 22:28

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it either, but it was the only format I could find them in. :/
Posted by: peter

Re: Just a random thought - 31/10/2002 06:43

The Mysterious Cities of Gold

I followed that one a bit but the one I really loved was Ulysses 31...

Peter
Posted by: frog51

Re: Just a random thought - 31/10/2002 06:51

The Mysterious Cities of Gold - those lighting effects!! They did excellent sunlight on waves and fire images.