Another New Album

Posted by: Dignan

Another New Album - 03/12/2002 10:49

I don't know how many people here are into Soundgarden, Chris Cornell, or Rage Against the Machine, but there's a new album out with Cornell and the remnants of Rage.

For Rage fans (if any), just remember that Zack left the band. That seems pretty stupid to me, considering how well they were doing and the fact that he has yet to release an album. But I don't really care. I was never a RAtM fan. I can't listen to rap-rock.

What I do know is that to me, this is one kickin' album. The new band is called Audioslave and the album is of the same name. Check it out some time. If you're downloading tracks, just realize that demo versions of most of the songs were out on the internet a while ago, and the album is pretty different from thos demos.

Chris Cornell has still got it after all these years
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Another New Album - 03/12/2002 11:01

I think Zack left the band because he felt that they were getting too popular to accurately convey his message anymore. Or some other stupid bullshit like that.

I mean, it seems that it'd be better to preach to everyone instead of just the converted, but whatever. Maybe he thought that being affluent meant he could no longer ``keep it real'' or whatever the most appropriate phrase might be.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Another New Album - 03/12/2002 11:48

Audioslave cannot be compared to Rage (not that you were comparing the two). Apart from Tom Morello's guitar tricks, there is no similarity (to me). That said, I have to agree that this album is quite good.

Re: Another New Album - 04/12/2002 22:37

Hey Rob, are you going to see them in NY? I think they're there within the next week...
Posted by: robricc

Re: Another New Album - 04/12/2002 23:07

They're playing on Long Island. That is way too much of a pain to see a band I am not really into yet.

Plus they're playing as part of a radio festival. Too many crap bands:
  • Audioslave
  • Box Car Racer (crap)
  • Coldplay (I think it's crap)
  • Jimmy Fallon (the guy from SNL?)
  • Kelly Osbourne (crap)
  • New Found Glory (crap)
  • Ozzy Osbourne (seen too many times)
  • Queens Of The Stone Age
  • Stone Sour (not sure about this one)
  • Taproot (I would like to see them at their own show)
  • The Vines (crap... sorry DiGNAN)
  • Zwan (?)
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 01:12

Coldplay is not crap.

- Jon
Posted by: frog51

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 02:35

Hmm- point of view issue here, I guess. I certainly agree with Rob, because I find them dull, depressing, whiny and sadly untalented.

But a lot of the stuff I like, other folks see as crap (like Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Metallica etc) so it's all in the ear of the beholder
Posted by: Roger

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 03:24

I don't think they're crap, but I'm not sure I'd bother watching them at a festival. I didn't bother seeing them at Glastonbury this year, for example.

The best live act for me at Glastonbury this year was Rolf Harris. The man's a great entertainer.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 04:06

Rolf Harris ? Isn't that the guy who used to have a show in which he drew cartoon characters? Followed then by showing a cartoon ?
Is used to love that show! It must be like erm...15 or 20 years ago. (Damn, I'm getting old...)
Posted by: Cas_O

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 04:30

Rolf Harris as in must-be-in-his-70's-Australian presenting the soppy Animal Hospital on BBC??

At Glastonbury? Really? Wow, the rest must have been crap if that was your favourite...
Posted by: Roger

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 05:27

Really? Wow, the rest must have been crap if that was your favourite.

Well, this year was a bit disappointing. But don't underestimate the power of Rolf. He played to a packed Main Stage.

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/2002/review/review437.html
Posted by: Cas_O

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 08:21

From review it reads like it was fun, didn't realise he'd been there four times already. Amazing he can capture a crowd like Glastonbury's.

You just don't associate him with such an event when you only know him from Animal hospital, here in Holland Rolf Harris is completely unknown.

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 08:25

That's cool, Rob I wouldn't go to that show either. But I might, because that band Zwan that you didn't know is the new band of Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin. Supposed to be pretty good.

Other than that, I agree with you. I even agree with you about the Vines. I only like half of their songs (the loud half), and they're live show sucks because the bassist and the drummer suck nuts. The guitarist is pretty damn cool, but the rest of his band and his penchant for crummy ballads is killing them.
Posted by: bodybag

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 10:11

Audioslave... probably one of the best legitimate rock bands / albums to come along in a while now. It's one of those albums you can listen to from start to finish. The music of the last few years has been pretty week if you ask me. Have we really had anything worthy since the Seattle era? I'm not counting every new band out, but for the most part, rock has suffered during the last 5 years or so.

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 10:40

Couldn't agree with you more. That's my personal stance on it, but others will disagree. Then I will show them Creed.

But yes, I think it's a great album too. It's probably even a little better than Cornell's solo album.
Posted by: andy

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 10:58

But don't underestimate the power of Rolf.

Indeed, his rendering of Stairway is compelling listening...
Posted by: peter

Re: Another New Album - 05/12/2002 12:49

Indeed, his rendering of Stairway is compelling listening...

I think Rolf Harris must be some kind of mass hypnotist. I went along to see him at Glastonbury, largely to humour Roger, and thought his set was absolutely brilliant -- the humour, the musicianship, fantastic. Fine Day sounded a better dance track than anything the Fatboy had been laying down the night before, Tie Me Kangaroo was like being a winning supporter at a Cup Final(*) and there was even a tear in my eye for Two Little Boys. And then when I got home I got hold of MP3s of all these songs and they were just crap. Absolute geriatric children's-TV-presenter crap. The only difference, the only thing that made Glastonbury so compelling, must be the Rolfman's personal presence. Scary. Must remember not to go to any Billy Graham gigs...

Peter

(*) I imagine.
Posted by: Laura

Re: Another New Album - 08/12/2002 13:12

I went out and bought it this weekend and like it very much. Thanks for the tip. I'm giving a copy of it as a present to another Soundgarden fan I know!

Re: Another New Album - 08/12/2002 18:13

Great! I'm glad you liked it! It should be on every Soundgarden fan's wishlist this season
Posted by: BleachLPB

Re: Another New Album - 08/12/2002 20:01

I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but is the Audioslave cd available for purchase yet? I downloaded the mp3s a few weeks ago, stuck them on my empeg, and I am very pleased with the result! I plan to purchase the CD when available (stupid record companies... what are they thinking... well thats a topic for another thread...)

I recommend this album... it kicks ass.

nevermind - I see that its out... I read through the recent posts. I'll be making a purchase sometime this week.

Re: Another New Album - 09/12/2002 00:22

Yeah, the release date was delayed a lot. It was slated for October I think, but got pushed to mid November.

I think you'll also be pretty suprised when you hear the album, because it's very different from the MP3s that were on the internet. They were taken from the demo they put out. Besides slight variations in the vocals and guitar on various songs, here are the different songs:

The demo had two songs on it that aren't on the album. They were listed on the internet as:
-Turn to Gold (Visions)
-Better Bomb

The album has three songs that weren't with the demo tracks. They are:
-What You Are
-Set it Off
-Hypnotize

For anyone who only has the album, those two others are pretty cool too. The intro "Turn to Gold" has a very Rage-sounding wah-wah intro. "Better Bomb" is also more like Rage (until the vocals come in), and sounds like it could be semi-political.

While we're on it, for any of you who have the album, there's something that's been bothering me. How would you describe the song "Hypnotize"?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Another New Album - 09/12/2002 04:50

Hypnotizing. Hypnostic. Hypnostesiatic. Hypnullifying.

Re: Another New Album - 09/12/2002 13:57

Soundgarden does techno is how I would describe it.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 10:28

I would just like to reiterate how much ass Audioslave really does kick.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 12:19

I agree... Soundgarden with a splash of Techno. It fits well within my collection; definately worth having.

Thanks to the guy who recommended it.

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 16:54

Techno? How is there any Techno in the new Audioslave? I've listened to it several times and it seems a bit far of a stretch (for me) to say there is any techno in it. I listen to a lot of techno so maybe thats why I just dont see the connection.

Either way, it didn't take long for Audioslave to make it into my regular rotation of music - its some good stuff. I was growing tired of happy new little bands popping up every other week or month on mtv.

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 17:12

I think he was talking about Laura's reply about Hypnotize, which has some dance music elements in it. Like Soundgarden meets Moby Other than that, no, the rest of the album doesn't have much techno on it.

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 17:28

I don't listen to techno so maybe I am way off base in thinking that song sounded techno to me
Posted by: njdboy

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 17:36

I thought eminem said no one listens to techno?

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 17:44

He would know.
Posted by: Jerz

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 18:51

Actually... yeah, what he said and she said. Sorry but I grew up during the '80's metal era (so I'm definately coming from the opposite end of the spectrum) and Hypnotise definately seems to have that "techno" or "dance music" groove to it.

If it's not Soundgarden with a splash of techno...what is it??

Later,

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 19:15

Ahh that makes sense then about that one track and not the whole album - I'll listen to it later...
crap, eminem said no one listens to techno, I better stop then.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Another New Album - 16/12/2002 22:48

crap, eminem said no one listens to techno, I better stop then

I find it much easier to not listen to eminem