scorched earth game

Posted by: image

scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 11:24

i came across this when i was remanicing about the "good ol' days". i used to play this every damn day with my cousins. i can just imagine if someone ported this on the empeg..... easy traffic accident for me right there.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 11:58

yeah, i also can confess to many lost hours to that game. what a blast.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 13:02

Question. Which was around first, Scorched Earth or Gorillas?

It's great, I was just looking for an update to gorillas, but this will suit me fine.

I knew a guy once who wrote a Pascal version of Gorillas that was great. great graphics and some good humor. Too bad his disk crashed.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 14:01

I wrote a single player vs. computer version in TI basic on my TI-85 in high school.. it was very playable, and fit in 2k of memory. Then someone copied it, changed my intro screen to remove my name and put his in, and add a copyright.. if only i had known about GPL back then

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 14:24

gorillas first... then scorched earth... then worms.

i found a free palm game. there goes my free waiting time now. and also a java version.

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 15:12

Oh no. Please don't mention Worms around me. I got a 1.6 GPA my second semester here, partly due to that infernal game. I got my entire hall (half of them were drunken frat guys) into that game. At any given time there were 20 guys bombing their fellow worms. It was beautiful I mean, no, it ruined my life!!

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 21:00

Damn! It's happening again! I downloaded the game and I've been playing it way to much. I have my last final exam tomorrow and I NEED to study! Damn you!! AHH!

BTW, how to I make a command prompt shortcut to launch the command prompt and launch the program in one step? If I just click on the exe I get an error, and I can only get my command prompt shortcut to open into the game's directory. This is in Win2K.

Re: scorched earth game - 12/12/2002 23:35

make a batch file to cd to the dir, then run the game.
Posted by: lectric

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 00:04

Or better yet, make a cmd file, not a batch.

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 06:26

Sorry, I don't know how to do either of those things...

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 06:28

Another question: how do I make it change resolution? it's stuck at 320x480, which as you might imagine makes estimating angles a bit difficult.

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 08:48

Run Notepad, type cd\scorch (or whatever your path is)
Next Line: Scorch

Save as scorch.cmd (wherever you want)
Make a shortcut.

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 08:51

Click on hardware, click on graphics until you get the resolution you want, then hit escape. Hit Save Changes.

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 12:51

Thanks, that's good to know.

I finally read the file that came with the game. Unfortunately, it appears that the only resolution I can run the thing in is like 360x480. It looks pretty crappy. Any idea how I can get the game to work better with my video card?

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 16:07

i forget... but doesn't dos need a vesa driver before it can do higher resolutions?

just use the java version. EXACT REPLICA imo. just not full screen or with sound.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 20:10

Man, Worms is the best. I almost bombed one semester my Sophmore year (1999?) because of that game. ALWAYS a random map. Man, I want to play it now.

Re: scorched earth game - 13/12/2002 23:32

On the one hand, I'm glad I can't play it because my Win2K won't run it. On the other, my last final is over (that sounds redundant, doesn't it?) and I really wish I could waste my time skunking some worms.