Non-invasive Windows web browser

Posted by: wfaulk

Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 19:05

Does anyone know of a web browser for Windows that doesn't require an installation and doesn't modify the registry so that it can be placed on a USB keychain storage device and run directly from there? It would be preferable if it had the ability to work with a proxy.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 21:03

The Off By One Web Browser

"The Off By One Web Browser may be the world's smallest and fastest independent Web Browser with full HTML 3.2 support. It is a completely self-contained, stand-alone 1.1MB application with no dependencies on any other browser or browser component. SSL support provided via OpenSSL. Unique features include an image zoom capability and a text search that scans the pure (non-tag) text of multiple HTML files. Requires no installation, can be run from a CD or network."

edit: the setup from download.com is an install, but you can get a zip file with just the 4 files required to run it from here

I must say, I just tried this out for the first time now and the review's aren't kidding, this browser is fast as all hell!
Posted by: Biscuitsjam

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 21:33

What exactly are you planning to do? It sounds like you wish to browse the web on a computer that was specifically designed to prohibit it.

-Biscuits

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 23:18

I found that just before I came back and checked here, and it is faaaaast. Doesn't render this forum quite right (style sheets?), but it's easily readable, and most sites seem to work just fine.

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 23:19

Yup. (Well, it's not me, but yeah.)
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 23:24

I think it does have problems with style sheets. On my own site, the various header styles that I applied are showing up with the default attributes and sizes.

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 12/01/2003 23:38

I think OffByOne basically doesn't deal with style sheets at all.

I also found Ghostzilla-CD, which is pretty interesting, as in addition to running solely from a CD (or whatever else, I'd imagine), it also displays only in black and white, with no images until you request them, inside other applications frames. Amazingly sneaky.
Posted by: leftyfb

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 13/01/2003 08:43

From the looks of it though, the only way to get the ghostzillia your looking for is to order the $9.99 cd. The downloadable version is different than "Ghostzilla CD" and needs to be installed and probably not able to run standalone from a media source.

Re: Non-invasive Windows web browser - 13/01/2003 08:49

True, but free wasn't a requirement in my request, and it's cool anyway.

OffByOne or, maybe, Phoenix is a better fit, anyway, though.