Bay Area mini meet?

Posted by: rob

Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 21:33

Anyone in the Bay area up for a mini meet (well, dinner I guess) sometime this week? Friday evening is looking open for me currently.

Rob
Posted by: robricc

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 21:34

DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!

There goes my perfect score for 2003 empeg meets.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 21:38

Well it's not really a meet. It's more a dinner engagement
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 21:47

I'm there, dude.

When/Where? Shall we get a hold of Zandr and invite him, too? (Haven't seen him around the BBS since October.)

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 21:52

Anywhere driving distance from Santa Clara. San Jose, SF, maybe not Sacramento . Somewhere with half decent food would be good (fully decent would be better). Vans would be nice but probably a bit on the pricey side for a non expensed event!

Please go ahead and give Zandr a shout, but I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow.

Rob
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 03/02/2003 23:14

Damn, friday is my 21st birthday, so amazingly enough I've got other plans. Make it thursday and I'll be anywhere within two hours Berkeley. Friday and early might happen for me, but that's a long shot.

Matthew
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 00:04

ya ill more than likly go, even thou my empeg isnt in my car at the moment, but would love to meet up with you guys, Im in the northbay, If we can decide on a place im there.
Posted by: loren

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 00:29

I'm there too. Howabout the Stinking Rose in North Beach, SF? It's a really cool garlic restaurant with an amazing decor. Or Michelangelo's... you get a huge bowl of gummi bears for desert.... or Kelly tells me there's an excellent Thai place in the Castro...

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 01:31

stinking rose is great, ill probably bring my girlfriend she loves that place. anyone else agree? or know about it.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 01:51

Depending on exactly where/when, I'm there!

Edit: I know some great places to eat in the Napa area. Anyone for Italian?
Posted by: jbauer

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 02:57

I may attend... I live in SF and can go anywhere... Stinking Rose is good, but it's a tad touristy...

Some other potential ideas: How about we go to a place like Cha Cha Cha on Haight? Or maybe Kan Zaman on Haight (mediteranean - sit on pillows kinda thing)? Or we could even go to Buca...

Or just go to Stinking Rose!

- Jon

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 05:18

Thursday won't work unfortunately, as I'll be flying back from Seattle and meeting Toby who will have just arrived at SFO.

Toby is up for coming out on Friday - looks like this could be the end of his mysterious anonymity!

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 11:25

Please go ahead and give Zandr a shout, but I won't be able to confirm until tomorrow.

Done. Hope he chimes in here.
Posted by: n6mod

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 11:31

Hello? Yes? I should be able to make it. Thursday would have been out, as I'll be in Burbank for the day. I'll check with my other half and get back to you. -Zandr...still not out from under the six-week project we started in August.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 11:41

Rock.

So let's settle on a place, shall we?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 11:54

The Stinking Rose is quasi touristy, but not much since it's off season. I mentioned it because it's something uniquely San Francisco... but you gotta like garlic. There's quite a few other great italian restaurants in North Beach... as you'd well guess. Buca De Beppo is good, but it's pretty crazy and loud in that place. There's lots of good stuff on Haight as Jon mentioned. I'm open to other suggestions... but lets agree fast so we can make some reservations and get a count of how many are showing.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 16:07

I vote Stinking Rose. I've heard they fill up fast so we might want to make a reservation today. Who's up for it?

Me + Toby for a start..

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 16:21

I'm in, and I believe a few of my friends might join me. So, around what time are we shooting for?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 16:34

count me and my girlfriend in, give me a time and ill be there.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 16:48

Me, my wife, and my daughter will be there. Name a time, post the address.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 16:50

http://thestinkingrose.com/sf/sf.htm

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 17:40

I'll be there probably +1 of my empeg converts. Let's make it after 7... i don't get off work 'til 6 and i have to drive from San Rafael.

If anyone is coming in from afar and wants to crash on a futon mattress on my floor or on my couch, i'm down. Plus you'll get to play with the MAME cabinet and photo booth....

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 17:44

futon
AKA - Flip and F***

photo booth....

No offense, but I'll pass...

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 18:17

I've got a bed for that thank you very much.

and to my knowledge no rated R "happenings" have occurred in my photo booth. The MAME however..

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 18:28

Yes, I'll put in a vote for sometime after 7 as well. I'm not sure where I'll be durring the day (either Hayward, Petaluma, or Napa), so it's a safe bet.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 18:30

Just to let you guys know, there is a very slim chance that I might come. The only problem is, I have to be back in NY around noon time Saturday. This would mean my airfare would be around $400.

The Stinking Rose sounds good, but I don't know about $400+ good. If I can get the airfare down somehow, I may do it. I will keep you posted. Don't count me out just yet....

Loren, I will keep your offer in the back of my mind. Not having to pay for a hotel makes the trip more doable.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 18:51

haha. Man, you are hardcore. My couch is comfortable and large. =]

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 18:57

richin, I live in petaluma whatcha doing that way?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:00

Work. My former (soon to be current) employer is there. I was laid-off a little over a year ago, and I start there again the middle of this month.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:05

Well if you do make it over here rob, i got your dinner covered.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:08

Hey! I was about to say that.

Rob, I'll throw in some money if you make it over here, it's only fair. I figure I owe you for the DVD, and advice.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:25

$365 from JFK to Oakland non-stop if you book through the American Airlines website.

EDIT: just noticed that doesn't get you back till 4pm on Sat.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:47

Jet Blue is about the same and I think they would get me back around 2PM. That is good enough.

My parents are going away on vacation Saturday, and I have to look after my hoodlum of a brother.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 19:49

Rob, I'll throw in some money if you make it over here, it's only fair. I figure I owe you for the DVD, and advice.

Thanks guys! We'll see. The chance is slim, but I do want to be there.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 20:27

It looks like a table for 15 should about cover it. I wonder if they have one that big. Loren, do you want to take care of the reservation since you speak the local lingo?

Probably best to check my maths as well - I'm jet lagged

Rob
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 23:20

Put me down as a definite maybe. Not sure of my weekend plans yet. I have never been to the S.R. will there be parking in that area on a Friday night?

-Mike

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 04/02/2003 23:23

parking is like a scavanger hunt put at least 15 - 20 min aside for trying to find parking there, there are some pay parking in the area.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 01:02

Yeah, i'll make a reservation tomorrow after a little more of a final count... and Justin is right... it's the off season so parking isn't horrendous, but best bet is one of the pay garages or park a few blocks away and walk it. It's an awesome area anyhow, so the walk isn't bad.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 09:18

Include me in the reservation. I just booked my flight.

I get into Oakland at 2:15PM, so I have nothing to do for a few hours. If anyone wants to hang out, let me know.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 09:50

Damn, that is hard core. If Rob's coming I don't see how I can use my birthday as an excuse to not show up. I havn't quite commited to "Every empeg meet", but missing one in my home state would be a bad precedent. I'll be there, probably with one or two other people.

Rob, I'm in berkeley and will probably be free from work/classes. I'd be happy to hang out and show you the sites.

Matthew

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 10:11

Let me know where to go. I have a rental car.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 10:24

wow exciting, i get to meet rob. Now i really do have to buy dinner for him.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 10:28

i might try and get there a little bit early, i have a pretty packed day i belive.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 15:11

So, here's the count i've got...

Me + Scott
Rob
Toby
Donato
Justin L. + GF
Jon B.
Zandr + half geek (?)
Tony + wife + daughter
Rob R.
Mike C.
Matthew K. + 1 or 2

That's ~18 so far.

Did i miss anyone?
I'll make the reservations around 5pm today... i hope they can take that many people!!

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 18:19

Alrighty, we have reservations for 7:30 Friday night at the Stinking Rose for 18 people.

She said we all have to be there BEFORE THEY WILL SEAT US. Meaning... LET US KNOW IF YOU AREN'T COMING! It's okay if you don't show and we have less than 18, but if we think someone else is coming we'll have to wait around until they get there before they seat us... and if they don't show... you get the picture. We don't wanna wait all night for a no show.

If it's questionable whether or not you are coming, PM me and i'll give you my cell number so you can keep me informed Friday.

Any questions?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 18:25

Anyone that wants to swap cell numbers, send me a PM.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 18:46

Sounds great. I found out that I will definitely have one other person with me, MAYBE two, if they get off work on time. Is that going to skew the reservation?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 05/02/2003 18:54

yeah... well... i dunno yet actually. I'll wait until everyone is more definite and Friday i'll call them if we need to add a few. No worries. Just let me know when you are sure.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 02:31

Ok, two guests then. The second is only 75% sure they'll make it, but that's enough to say they're coming. They will let me know Friday night, before 7:30, if they are going to be there or not.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 22:12

dose this get the award for the fasted organized meet so far on the forum?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 22:37

I would say so.

It's snowing here in NY right now, so it will be good to get away (even for a day). Although, it's supposed to snow until noon-time tomorrow. Hopefully my flight is not delayed because of it.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 23:20

Yes, I remember the many months just trying to pick a location for the last bay area meet. For the next bay area meet i'm voting for the car weekend in monterey. But then, by the end of the summer people may have had enough meets and be bored with the whole concept.

I'll be there tomorrow with one guest. 7:30 works great for me. For anyone who's never been on a friday night, parking will be a real pain, so be prepared to fork out cash or walk long distances.

Matthew

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 23:26

ya no hopefully no delays, i wanna at least get a cup of coffee with you before we head to the resturant.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 23:34

I'm gonna give both you and Matthew a call once I get there. Coffee is good. I will probably sleep on the plane ride since I am trying to stay up all night.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 06/02/2003 23:47

So, here's the count i've got

Hey all. I think I am going to be flaking on you guys tomorrow night. I am not entirely sure at this point though. Anyway, if I am not there please don't wait for me. If I am going to show up I will make sure I am early.

-Mike

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 07/02/2003 13:38

Just letting you guys know that I was able to catch an earlier flight, so I am here in Hayward now. I'm gonna take a nap for a couple hours then start calling people.

Anyway, I am still in.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 07/02/2003 15:44

I'm going to be heading out in a few minutes, to get my family and prepare for the drive. I'll see you all there!

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 07/02/2003 16:13

see ya!

please be there on time folks... and give yourself time to park. I'll probably be hanging out front with a black hooded sweatshirt on and a "stud in my face" as my father loves to say. Should brought an empeg sticker or something... ah well. You'll see me milling about.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 07/02/2003 16:27

"Did you fall into a tackle box?"
"What's that lightpole in your face for?"

Just a few things I've heard from my father, and I only have one piercing, for now...

Anyway, see you there, I'm planning on being there a good 20 minutes early or so. I don't have a mohawk anymore, so it's not as easy to spot me as it was a few years ago

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 00:16

First off, sorry for cutting out early, I had to take my guests home, one has a sinus infection and wasn't feeling great, and the other has to work early tomorrow. I hope you guys had fun afterwards!

I'd just like to say thanks to Rob for the idea, Loren for the suggestion of the restaurant, and thank you to everyone who showed up. It was fun. Seeing the Pearl prototype/demo unit in person and hearing all about it from Rob and Toby was a treat. It looks promising.

As a heads up to everyone, pictures were taken of the group with Tony's camera, and he mentioned they will be posted tomorrow sometime.

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Matthew! I completely forgot to mention it when I was there, and didn't think of it until we were on our way home.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 06:06

Thanks. I had a great time and a great night which I'm just finishing up now at 5 in the morning. Maybe tomorrow I'll catch up on the how-to-avoid-a-hangover thread.

The meet was great. I got to talk with Toby a lot, and hearing about everything he's been working on has convinced me that I need to do an internship at empeg towers next summer. Now I just have to convince them to have an intern program.

The pearl is cool. The "other one" is also cool, though it won't hold an entire collection. I'm not sure which one I'll need in the end, but they're both impressive.

"Mad props" to Rob for flying out. His reccord is still impeccable with respect to empeg meets. He's probably already left for the airport at this point, which probably means I should go to sleep.

Matthew

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 06:07

Ya its was definalty cool, i had fun. it was neat finally putting faces to alot of the people i talk to on the forum sometimes on a regular basis.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 15:11

I am back at home now. Had a great time. Thanks to everyone, especially Matthew for entertaining me for a couple hours before the meet.

He's probably already left for the airport at this point, which probably means I should go to sleep.

I was at the airport at 5AM. Yes, you should go to sleep.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 21:33

As a heads up to everyone, pictures were taken of the group with Tony's camera, and he mentioned they will be posted tomorrow sometime.

Got busy today with moving Tod into his new house. Only just getting to a computer now (8pm hour Sat). Possibly the pics will get pulled and posted later tonight or tomorrow.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 08/02/2003 23:18

Cool thanks tony, im curious on how goofy im going to look in the picture

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 09/02/2003 00:22

Okay, someone please help me caption these with everyone's names:

CES and Stinking Rose group photos

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 09/02/2003 11:59

CES Pic: Tony, ?, Matthew_k, John Covati (not a BBS member), Rob Riccardelli, ?, Jim Hogan, ?.

Unfortuantely, that's the best I can do.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 09/02/2003 13:22

I'm also missing one name for the San Francisco pic, as well as some last names...

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 09/02/2003 14:00

Donato Sinicco III
Bryan Bell
Pam Bell
Loren Cox
?
Justin Larsen
Jessica ?
Toby Duckworth
Matthew Kocher
Rob Voisey
Rob Riccardelli
Tony Fabris
Jon Bauer
Tony's Wife and Daughter

How'd I do?

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 10/02/2003 10:32

the guy next to me is Ryan Hood.

Phew. JUST now getting to read the BBS since Friday. Fun time... thanks for coming everyone! Toby, Rob, Ryan and I went to a "trendy" little Irish bar (pub) down the road afterward and had a drink, then we all headed home. We must be getting old or something. It was great to meet Toby... I could have talked his ear off for hours. I'm sorry i couldn't meet up with Rob and Toby again at the DNA Lounge Sat. night... i was just too damn tired and would have fallen asleep listening to Trance. =]

I gotta get to Cambridge or England in general soon.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 10/02/2003 11:53

Cool, thanks!

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 10/02/2003 18:33

I'm sorry i couldn't meet up with Rob and Toby again at the DNA Lounge Sat. night... i was just too damn tired and would have fallen asleep listening to Trance.

You wouldn't have fallen asleep listening to the trance they played Saturday night. Seriously full on stuff. They also serve a Red Bull rip off called Rock Star which comes in pint cans and seems to be twice as strong.

Rob

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 10/02/2003 21:02

My girlfriends name is Jessica Eschenauer, if you want to update that just so all the gaps are filled.

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 10/02/2003 23:33

dammit, now you're making me regret not draggin myself there. I woke up early and drove down to santa cruz to test drive a WRX and skate my buddy's half pipe all day... i was worn out after the drive back.

So did Toby enjoy himself??
Posted by: prolux

Re: Bay Area mini meet? - 11/02/2003 04:32

Yes Toby enjoyed himself thanks.

He is writing a review of the party based mainly on the differences between partying in London and San-Francisco. I will post a link to it here when it is done.

It was good to finally meet well known BBS characters in the flesh at the Stinkin' Rose. Thankyou everybody for coming, and sorry Mathew, I wasn't aware at the time that it was your 21st birthday, I would have been sure to have drunk heavily with you. A belated happy birthday to you.

Loren & Hood, thanks for taking us to the Irish bar afterwards.