Advice: electric razor

Posted by: loren

Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 13:24

My birthday's coming up and i want an electric razor. Simple. Until i looked at all the models out there.

Any advice or recommendations on a brand and/or model??

I've only had one in my short existence and it was a POS my grandfather handed down to me, so i'm pretty much lost in all the fancy schmancy new tech in electric razors.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 13:28

If you find one that works well, let me know. I always have obvious looking stubble, even when my face is smooth. The dark hair ends seem to be visible even below the surface of my skin.

The only answer for me is probably an epilady or something.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 13:33

This is my current one, and it seems to do a decent job. I asked for it for Christmas, and so have used it for almost 4 months now. Before this one, I had an older Norelco model that didn't have the flexable shaving heads. Big difference between the two, and I love the new razor.

One thing to remember with any of them is that your skin will probably be irritated for a bit after using a new razor. Even when I switched from my old one to the new one, my skin became irritated after use for about a week.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 13:41

I have the same problem. In my case, it's because my beard lies very flat to the skin, so electric razors have a remarkably difficult time getting underneath the hairs. I sometimes have to shave against the grain with a regular razor in order to get vaguely close. I don't think that any electric razor will ever work for me.

When I was trying to use one, I also found that it made my skin very dry. I don't know if that's because I was flaying it somewhat due to pressing to hard trying to get it to work, or if it was because I ended up not using shaving cream and whatnot.
Posted by: Daria

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 13:57

Mine does grow approximately straight out, however, I think my facial skin is very transparent or something.

I got it to look not like crap exactly one time: I waxed it. It was not particularly painful, nor did it itch when the hair came back. However...
it took *forever* to actually get all the hair because it's so dense, and it seemed to be visible under the skin very soon after I pulled it all.

Sort of sad that the answer to balding as well as to facial hair is apparently taking anti-androgens, with who-knows-what side effects...

Posted by: Dylan

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:23

Try using an exfoliator sponge on your skin during your shower and then use the shaver afterwards. I thought shavers were crap until someone gave me this tip. I was very surprised at how much difference it made. Now my Braun shaver is almost as good as a blade when before it wasn't even close.

-Dylan
Posted by: robricc

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:24

In my case, it's because my beard lies very flat to the skin
I've got the same issue. My electric has a flip-out "bear trimmer." I use that thing first, then I use the main part to get a clean shave. It's a Braun and it was some cheap POS that I bought at CVS. Works good. It's similar to these, but it's an older model.
Posted by: 753

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:30

In my case it's exclusively the hair below the chin that lies flat to the skin. My Philishave has a hard time capturing it, but works fine for straight hair. The Braun Syncro does a better job for me, but for real smoothness I still need to rely on my regular razor.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:33

My electric has a flip-out "bear trimmer."
Cool! Grizzly or Panda?
Posted by: ricin

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:43

I'll second the Braun Syncro vote. I have one of these, the Braun Syncro 7680 (that's where I bought it, too). It does a decent job, better than the others I've tried. I don't think there is an electric razor out there that can actually give you a clean shave, at least, I've yet to find one. This one just does the best job out of all the candidates I've run through so far.
Posted by: robricc

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 14:48

Panda, definitely panda.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 15:43

I second the norelco brand.. Also agreen on the flexable head thing.. I bought a replacement for my old chepo norelco a couple years ago.. been very happy.. tho i should really replace the blades soon.

I'm not sure which mine is exactly, but I think it's an older version of the quadra action.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 16:35

I have a Norelco razor and a Norelco beard trimmer for my goatee. Both work great. I don't think which model matters much, they all seem good to me.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 16:56

Ya i have the norelco 8895xl, the Jame Bond Razor, lol I got a great deal on ebay for a brand new one for $69.00 and $7.00 shipping. Works wonders, this is my 3rd norelco, im really bad at loosing razors, and every time i loose one i end up buying the more expensive model.
Posted by: trs24

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 19:28

Definitely norelco. Any model in the mid-range on up. I used electric razors for years - both Braun and Norelco - and Norelco is far better. But, after all the years of electrically shaving - I've made the switch back to plain old razors - and I couldn't imagine going back to electric.

- trs
Posted by: number6

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 19:49

Second that recommendation, I got a Philishave (Norelco) model the same one James Bond used in the latest movie [I bought mine before I saw the movie, but it still had James Bond promo stuff on the outside and came with a James Bond theme songs CD to boot].

Comes with 100 minutes shave time LiON battery, flexible heads and it washes up in water. Oh yeah, it has a beard trimmer as well.

As mentioned above, its the most expensive model that Philips sell, but what the heck, they last for ages generally, so you can afford it once in a while.
[its the empeg of the shaver world].

I paid more than $69 for mine though.

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 20:46

Razors are the best, but I'm too damn lazy

Oh, and Loren, do you want one of those 3-head razors or those foil ones (is that what they call them?)
Posted by: mlord

Re: Advice: electric razor - 14/04/2003 20:53

Pardon me while I fetch the paper towel roll to get the wine droplets off the screen here...
Posted by: loren

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 00:25

cool... thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Oh, and Loren, do you want one of those 3-head razors or those foil ones (is that what they call them?)

probably the 3 head type. I've had a foil and borrowed my brothers 3 head a long long while ago, and the 3 head worked way better... the foil just didn't seem to contour and it took way longer.

Main reason i want one is just for the lazy factor. I'll probably still use a razor every couple of weeks or so but the electric razor as i run out the door will save me from my ever present "guido stash" (sp?).

Okay, mid level to high end Norelco it is. Thanks again!
Posted by: boxer

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 01:07

I can't imagine starting the day fresh without a proper wet shave: Mug, brush and I use a 3 blade gillette now. By the time you've washed, it's quicker than any electric.

However, I've found the cheapest Braun battery shavers to be every bit as good as the best and I've tried Philishave, Remington, expensive Brauns, even Schick a long, long time ago. I only use an electric as a top up, if I'm going out in the evening.
Posted by: muzza

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 06:20

Panda? are you sick???
You haven't had a Panda Attack yet?
Posted by: revlmwest

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 06:32

I'm in complete agreement here. I bought a shaving kit as joke once and I've never looked back. My personal favorite in the bar soup arena is Col. Conk. My mug is from Agatha's in Atlanta. Currently I'm using the Mach 3 for a razor.
Posted by: peter

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 06:41

I can't imagine starting the day fresh without a proper wet shave: Mug, brush and I use a 3 blade gillette now. By the time you've washed, it's quicker than any electric.
I've never done the brush thing, but this King of Shaves menthol-based goop is jolly good. You know that chilly feeling you get in your mouth when you've just eaten an Extra Strong Mint and you breathe in? This is like that, only all over your face. Marvellous.

Peter

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 07:13

I'll try some in the motorhome, where I don't have a shaving mug.

I should have mentioned that shaving in cold water on a hot, humid day is the ultimate wake up call (after a shot of very good coffee, of course).

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 07:15

If you don't do it after the cup of coffee there is a great chance of mixing up the coffee mug and the shaving mug.

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 07:24

By that time, I've walked the dogs, fed them and the cats, loaded last night's unmissable radio programmes on to the Empeg and taken various measurements that the medical profession seem to be interested in - so I'm fairly wide awake!

Just been in Paris for the weekend, why can't we make the breakfast coffee taste that good, or for that matter the late night chocolate? Come to think of it, why can't we get our steaks like that? - It's only 20 miles from England to France, after all!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 10:01

Pardon me while I fetch the paper towel roll to get the wine droplets off the screen here...

See, it's not just me.
Posted by: davec

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 12:52

I've made the switch back to plain old razors - and I couldn't imagine going back to electric

Ditto. I always had the Homer Simpson 5 o'clock shadow from electric razors, but used Norelcos for years. They are good, but like many point out in this whole thread, your beard type has lots to do with the final shave results. When I went totally bald, I switched to Gillette Mach 3 and haven't looked back. And those shaving cream warmers by Conair, pretty darn cool, (or would that be warm?) in the mornings!

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:01

I agree on that. If I go razor I always use the Mach 3. Great razor.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:20

Naah. Straight razor, borax soap & a leather strop (and no, I don't mean strap - go look it up) for sharpening. Hard to do while driving though.

-Zeke
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:26

Hmmm. I wouldn't usually point out a difference between a strop and a strap beyond intended use. I have seen strops that are leather laminated onto the back of a whetstone, but most of them are straps. What are you using?
Posted by: davec

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:28

Naah. Straight razor

Holy Cow! I have enough trouble with the tops of my ears getting in the way of a "safety razor" when my eyes can only open half-way in the mornings...
Posted by: trs24

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:43

I've never done the brush thing, but this King of Shaves menthol-based goop is jolly good.
You suppose the King of Town uses King of Shaves? He must.

- trs

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:53

I tried it (straight razors) just so I could say I had. It requires far too much skill and I drink far too much coffee. I've promised myself to let a professional do it though the next time I'm near a true old world barber shop. (meaning haircut, shave, manicure girl. Think The Sting. )

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 13:59

American Heritage Second College Edition (c)1976:

strop: n. A flexible strip of leather or canvas used for sharpening a razor. -tr.v. stropped, strop*ping, strops. To sharpen (a razor) on a strop. [ME stroppe, band of leather < MLG strop < Lat. Stoppus <Gk strophion]

Laminated on the back of a whetstone? Sounds like a pad to stop it from slipping around as opposed to something for sharpeining (or, more precisely, honing in the case of a strop). (/me ducks as Bitt goes for the Oxford Unabridged...)

One gets to use the word so infrequently; I just needed to take it out for a spin since the chance arose.

-Zeke

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 14:02

Rev-
I really was just kidding. There's no way I could handle something like that 1st thing in the AM. I also got one of these once, I found it quite pleasant, hot towel, lather and all.

-Zeke
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 21:09

See, it's not just me.

I know, you're just the most frequent.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: Advice: electric razor - 15/04/2003 21:27

I know, you're just the most frequent.

Sort of like Old Faithful?

/Michael

Re: Advice: electric razor - 16/04/2003 03:45

A flexible strip of leather or canvas used for sharpening a razor

"Having a strop" means losing your temper, here. I'm not sure whether it is just a Yorkshire expression, nor where it derives from.

Re: Advice: electric razor - 16/04/2003 03:49

I've promised myself to let a professional do it though the next time I'm near a true old world barber shop

Nothing in the world is better for a hangover than a cut throat shave, followed by talc and hot towels - I've not had one in 35 years. Your hand just slides down your face for hours after!

Re: Advice: electric razor - 10/06/2003 01:20

You know that chilly feeling you get in your mouth when you've just eaten an Extra Strong Mint and you breathe in? This is like that, only all over your face

First day of trying it: That really is the goods, thankyou for the tip!
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Advice: electric razor - 10/06/2003 01:53

I use that shaving oil. Its GREAT. No more dry itchy skin after cream, razor just glides along. Less slicing my face too as I can see what I'm doing.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Advice: electric razor - 10/06/2003 03:39

At risk of being contentious, I propose my alternative - I use no shaving foam or any of that stuff as I find they irritate me, especially the ones for sensitive skin. So what I do is use a wet razor in the shower every morning, a Philishave trimmer every weekend to neaten up the edges of my goatee, and a Wahl trimmer every 2 weeks to take all the hair on my head down to a number 1.

Aside from the goatee trimming, I find it I do it all with my eyes shut - usually because I am either still asleep, or very , very hungover.

My Philishave is 11 years old now, and all I have had to do was replace the Nicads and resolder a couple of connections damaged by dropping it so it's a good reliable name!

Re: Advice: electric razor - 10/06/2003 05:06

Can't see anything contentious in that!

Contentious is: Is that shower you refer to standing outdoors, following our previous communication*, I spent a whole week looking at rain through my windscreen in your part of the world a fortnight back.

I understand your scientific community have got the midge problem solved, can you get to grips with the water problem?

But it's still one of my favourite places.

*Sorry, that may have been O'Hare.
Posted by: frog51

Re: Advice: electric razor - 11/06/2003 01:22

Ha ha - the weather...hmmmm. Well this year has been a bit of a freak. So far we have had more good weather in central Scotland than most of the rest of the UK. But I have to admit that I tend to think it is pretty dry here, as I grew up in Orkney, which does 'wet and windy' in a big way. It was much warmer up there, though, as the North Atlantic Drift kept the sea warm enough to go surfing all year round.

Best way to deal with the rain in Scotland is to wear shorts and a t-shirt. You dry much quicker that way. And when it is raining, there are no evil biting flying creatures around, which is nice.

Did you go anywhere nice? Was it a business or pleasure trip?

Re: Advice: electric razor - 12/06/2003 08:23

Pleasure Trip, it's the fourth time we've been and easily the wettest. We got up to Loch Lomond, then Oban, Newtonmore, Braemar, Stirling and Montrose - we nip around in the motorhome, with the dogs - a lovely part of the world.