I want designer pets.

Posted by: tfabris

I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 10:54

I'm sitting here typing this with my cat on my lap. She's an orange tabby, on the small side, and a real sweetheart. After playing some Impossible Creatures, I was thinking about how much she shares, genetically, with big cats such as tigers.

So I've decided that the one thing I want to come out of all this genetic research and cloning is a breed of domestic cat that's got tiger stripes. Not "cross a cat with a tiger", but simply splice the genes for just the fur coloring into a sweet little domestic kitty.

Oh, and the sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 11:03

Kind of like frankenfish?
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 14:16

I'm not saying that this is impossible, but non-GE cats' coloration is determined by early (fetal?) environment. Cats that have been cloned bear no color resemblance to their parent.
Posted by: jasonc

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 14:41

I'd like a cat that glows like that.
Posted by: Mach

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 15:05

It's not a tiger but it's a start. California Spangled Cat

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 15:10

How about a Rabbit?

Re: I want designer pets. - 13/07/2003 18:26

Aw, what a cute little leapord cat!

And yeah, the dayglo rabbit is the original idea that made me think that something like this is possible.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 00:08

How about hair dye.
Posted by: frog51

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 04:15

I haven't got time to check what breed they are right now, but a friend bought two pedigree cats which look exactly like bengal tigers. And they are pretty big fro house cats.

They are awesomely cool, but pretty high maintenance and astonishingly expensive (read £thousands!!!!)

Will try and find out what breed later
Posted by: andym

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 05:03

I always fancied getting a norwegian forest cat, they're like the 4x4 of the cat world.
Posted by: boxer

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:19

That's a new one on me, I fancied a maine coon at one time, but I don't think that the boxers would approve.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:27

they are pretty big fro house cats
Now that would be cool, a cat with a giant fro! How about jerry curls?
Posted by: cushman

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:35

Maine Coon cats are very good with dogs (and children, who love to drag them around). My brother has once, and his 2 year old drags that cat all over the place, and the cat also sleeps with their dog. He lives in... well... Maine.

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:45

Posted by: Dignan

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:51

Is that real?
Posted by: andym

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 06:58

OH MY GOD! You could pull a trailer with that.

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 07:35

God I hope not. It was on something awful.

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 08:14

Here's the current record holder...

It's 4 feet long from nose to tail and weighs 35lbs.
Posted by: jasonc

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 11:34

I've got a couple of "Pixie-Bobs", which are suppose to have some bobcat lineage. My prize winner is "Big Jim". He's got a bob tail, weighs 22 pounds, walks on a leash, jumps in the bathtub and can pick our car out of the parking lot when we come out of a store. Most impressive are his feet, 6 toe's on each foot (except one with 7 toes).
I always wanted a dog that that wasnt so needy, Jim seems to fit the bill.
Posted by: peter

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 12:18

He's got a bob tail, weighs 22 pounds, walks on a leash, jumps in the bathtub and can pick our car out of the parking lot when we come out of a store. Most impressive are his feet, 6 toe's on each foot (except one with 7 toes). I always wanted a dog that that wasnt so needy, Jim seems to fit the bill.
Does he ever go on about his mum being a reincarnation of Cleopatra?

Peter
Posted by: DWallach

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 13:32

One of my neighbors has an unusual cat that I think is an ocicat. His name is Taz, and he likes to invite himself into my house. You walk out the front door and he makes a bee-line for the inside. We were airing the place out once and found him asleep on a couch.

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 14:20

How about hair dye.
"Did you, Tony Fabris, dye the hair of your cat, to pass it off as a tiger in order to win my favor?"
Posted by: russmeister

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 14:44

"Did you, Tony Fabris, dye the hair of your cat, to pass it off as a tiger in order to win my favor?"

"I did, your honor."

"I hearby sentence you to life on the couch. Case dismissed."

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 14:52

You missed the reference... That was supposed to be a "Meet the Parents" reference... when he painted the tail of the cat from the pound to look like DeNiro's cat, and at the end of the film, DeNiro gives Ben Stiller the "lie detector" test.
Posted by: russmeister

Re: I want designer pets. - 14/07/2003 22:01

My bad.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: I want designer pets. - 15/07/2003 00:57

Oooh, that looks like the stripe/spot pattern on one of my cats! Only difference is that mine's more a salt 'n pepper colour.
Posted by: frog51

Re: I want designer pets. - 15/07/2003 05:24

You see what happens when you get on a different machine just to quickly check the day. Fire off a quick reply and the odd keyboard just throws off your spelin.

Good image, though. "This is fuzzy. Yes, he is a cat. Really. Yes, I know he looks like a tribble."