What other good "off topic" forums?

Posted by: Dylan

What other good "off topic" forums? - 30/07/2003 14:11

Even though I no longer use my empeg this is still one of my favorite forums. Every other off topic forum I've read seems to be filled with the type of people I usually make a point to avoid.

Any other good ones out there?

-Dylan
Posted by: msaeger

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 30/07/2003 16:13

I don't think there are any.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 30/07/2003 22:05

Given the lack of replies, I'm guessing that most other people concur. I know *I* do. Heck, I can't even stand the *on* topic forums in most places, let alone the *off* topic ones.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 06:25

Most other forum sites I visit have off topic areas, but I wouldn't recommend them. On those sites I pretty much get in, discuss the main topics of the board, and get out. I don't know if I'd have room in my daily web surfing schedule to keep up with another BBS's off topic forum, even if it did match up with the quality level here.

This place has a great mix of opinions, knowledge, and personalities around here that's very rare on the Internet... So enjoy it, and don't worry about cheating on us with another BBS.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 06:53

The only ones I've found consist of a total of five to six members. I'm a member of two of those The discussions are easier to control that way (easier than in forums other than this one), because it's hard to cause trouble if you're one of 5

I still like this board better, though
Posted by: boxer

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 07:00

The only ones I've found consist of a total of five to six members

With alternate postings by the moderator, trying desperately to keep things going.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 07:05

well, nothing quite compares to the off-topic bliss we have here, but this aint too bad
http://www.eclipseforums.org/forum/
Posted by: Dignan

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 07:09

The only ones I've found consist of a total of five to six members

With alternate postings by the moderator, trying desperately to keep things going.

Yeah, that would be me on my boards
Posted by: furtive

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 31/07/2003 08:47

You will get abused, but pretty much anything is discussed at length here:

www.ftlog.net/discuss
Posted by: andy

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 01/08/2003 06:18

I don't know of any other good off-topic forums. I do know of one extemely long running off-topic thread though.

Over at www.digitalspy.co.uk (a site that covers UK digital television) there is a thread in their "Digital satellite" forum that has been running since 3rd March 2002 and covers 217 pages at the latest count.

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/19146/ds.html

The thread is titled "Interactive F1-The Verdict" and started off talking about the Sky F1+ Interactive Formula One Grand Prix service, which itself ceased to exist last October anyway...
Posted by: bonzi

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 01/08/2003 07:52

Yeah, but did you see their "policy" post on off-topic forum? Screenful of rules and punisments (for example for questioning moderator's decision). No need for that here....
Posted by: furtive

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 01/08/2003 08:28

No moderators on the place I mentioned. If's the perfect place for inane waffling about nothing in particular.
Posted by: Roger

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 07/08/2003 06:20

The Straight Dope message boards are often quite amusing. See this thread for an example. I only lurk though, so I don't know what the denizens are like to interact with.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 07/08/2003 06:45

See this thread for an example.
And I thought we had some random topics . . .
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 07/08/2003 20:09

Hey, give d33zy a few more years of practice, and he'll be trolling like that, too!
Posted by: lectric

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 07/08/2003 21:05

Hah!... That's great.... In fact, it's one of the funniest threads I've read in a LONG time.
Posted by: Dylan

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 08/08/2003 08:03

That StraightDope is a grat site! Just what I need on a Friday after a Jethro Tull concert.

-Dylan
Posted by: cmtempeg

Re: What other good "off topic" forums? - 08/08/2003 09:51

Even though I no longer use my empeg this is still one of my favorite forums. Every other off topic forum I've read seems to be filled with the type of people I usually make a point to avoid.

Wait, I don't understand the premise...