Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows.

Posted by: Waterman981

Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 31/07/2003 14:37

So if I open up around 5-6 IE windows XP completely freezes, and I have to kill the power to reboot it. After booting this last time I got a BSOD. My first in XP. So anyone heard of this behavior before?
Posted by: Roger

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 31/07/2003 16:29

Nope. I've got about 20-25 Internet Explorer windows open at the moment (it's how I normally read the BBS), and it's fine (Windows XP Pro). Always has been.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 31/07/2003 16:33

The only times I've had IE crash on me have been when I've been running a buggy ad-blocker program. Either that, or there's spyware/adware running on my system that's trying to hook IE. Are you running an ad-blocker, or have you cleaned your system with ad-aware lately?

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 31/07/2003 20:28

Well I just did an ad-aware scan with the most current reference file, and it found nothing. I'm not running any ad-blocking software. All I have running is Norton Antivirus 2003, BlackIce, Download Accellerator, and EmpegTray Norton is the newest of them all.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 31/07/2003 20:53

Hmm. Have you tried turning off Download Accellerator?
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows - 01/08/2003 03:18

I've had a similar problem - occasionally when launching a new IE window XP locks up and I get the hourglass. I can alt+tab through the programs and get tooltips etc. but not actually do anything. I applied SP1a but no joy.

The solution was to use Mozilla Firebird which I have found to be generally a vast improvement on IE.

Gareth
Posted by: julf

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows - 01/08/2003 10:52

Hear hear! I can wholeheartedly agree with the Firebird recommendation!
Posted by: dr_dos

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows. - 01/08/2003 14:55

Just don't use IE

My constand 15 Opera windows work just fine...

Peter

Re: Windows XP locking up with multiple IE windows - 01/08/2003 15:41

Yes... I think that is the proper solution. I downloaded Mozilla Firebird, and have been reading the BBS today with it. Opened up about 10 windows, and it worked well. I've just been so infused with IE interface it will take a bit to like the subtle differences. But all in all I like it so far after an hour's use. I do wonder what happened to IE, but this will probably be a better solution. Thanks everyone!