RSS

Posted by: mschrag

RSS - 26/09/2003 06:17

So I've finally jumped on the RSS/aggregation bandwagon and I must say that I'm in love ... I had previously avoided it because I told myself that going through the rotation of bookmarks was part of my process at lunchtime and that if I aggregated, it would be too fast

Anyway, I was wrong. It tuns out that now I can be WAY more efficient because I only look at new material, so I am free to find a lot more sources of information ... I found a really cool program called NNTP/RSS (actually a java app, too, which is always nice) that basically runs as an NNTP (newsgroup) proxy for RSS feeds. So you can add all your RSS feeds into this thing through a web interface and access them through Mozilla Mail (or Outlook Express, etc). It's cool because I leave my email open all day anyway, so it's all in one place (same bolding-when-new-entries-appear, etc).

http://www.methodize.org/nntprss/ if you are interested ... It's obviously not perfect -- I've found a couple feeds that it had problems with. I've found I have the best success if when I add an RSS feed, I uncheck "validation" (so it doesn't verify it's correctly formatted) and then edit the feed and turn on "Parse At All Costs" (or something like that) -- this switches the parser so that if the main validating parser fails, it switches over to a desparate-last-attempt-parser -- seems to always work.

If only Strongbad and the Empeg BBS forums had RSS feeds now

ms
Posted by: tonyc

Re: RSS - 26/09/2003 07:46

I am a big fan of the RSS plugin for Trillian Pro. I agree that the Empeg BBS needs an RSS feed.
Posted by: drakino

Re: RSS - 26/09/2003 11:16

I agree that the Empeg BBS needs an RSS feed.
Fine. To help make this a bit more possible, I'll post the needed details of the database later today, and if someone wants to start hacking at it, they can contact me to arrange details on testing and such.
Posted by: ricin

Re: RSS - 26/09/2003 11:18

I thought there was some kind of upgrade/patch/hack that added RSS to UBBThreads? I can't seem to find it now, but I could've sworn I saw it somewhere before.
Posted by: trs24

Re: RSS - 26/09/2003 11:39

After doing some searching I ran across IIP on threadsdev.com. It lists RSS as a future feature, but it is mentioned as an actual feature in another thread by the author. So, I dunno.

- trs

Re: RSS - 26/09/2003 20:53

What are the language options for this hack?

Re: RSS - 29/09/2003 12:22

you tease ...

Re: RSS - 29/09/2003 13:47

you tease ...
Sorry, didn't have phpMyAdmin on the new box yet, so I didn't get around to this yet. However, I think I am going to hold off, as the 6.0 database is aparently pretty different. I am working on a test setup of this board on the 6.x code now.

Re: RSS - 01/12/2003 19:28

One day...
Posted by: Roger

Re: RSS - 02/12/2003 02:26

I am a big fan of the RSS plugin for Trillian Pro.

Currently, I'm using RSS Bandit.