nyc

Posted by: RobotCaleb

nyc - 04/12/2003 13:26

dec 21st i will be in nyc with my family. none of us have ever been and we are looking for cool things to do. it will be a one day thing, just that sunday. im assuming that we will get there sunday morning, perhaps around 0900. we have decided to see the great tree, the storefront displays, ice skating, and rockefeller center. statue of liberty is out as its too far, from what i understand. what else in that area is worth seeing?
also, i will be in the wilmington delaware area for that week, is there anything worth doing around there?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 13:29

also, i will be in the wilmington delaware area for that week, is there anything worth doing around there?
Sheesh, not really. I'm about 20-25 minutes North of there along US 202, and as towns go, Wilmington is as vanilla as can be. Philly isn't too far up I-95, though, and there's plenty to do in Philly (history, arts, shopping, etc.)
Posted by: robricc

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 13:45

I took Drakino on a 1-day NYC tour this summer with one of my out of work friends. I think we got a lot done including the Statue of Liberty (floated past it on the Staten Island Ferry (free)). Of course, it wasn't balls-cold outside.

We should meet-up. Have a NY mini meet or something.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 14:09

im up for it, but the kicker is this
i prolly wont have transportation, as im flying out there. and my family works during the day/week.
maybe we can work something out.

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 14:17

Once you drive from Delaware to NYC, you won't want to do that again for the rest of your trip.

I'd be willing to drive to DE for a meet if that has a better chance of happening.
Posted by: brendanhoar

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 15:19

> also, i will be in the wilmington delaware area for that week, is there anything worth doing around there?

I worked in wilmington out of a hotel for 8 months a decade or more ago. Answer: not really.

They do have at least one live music venue (i saw a couple of folky things there), but better luck in Philly or DC. Philly is reachable by cheap train and car.

-brendan

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 15:20

> Once you drive from Delaware to NYC, you won't want to do that again for the rest of your trip.

Once you drive in and around NYC, you won't want to do that again for the rest of your *life*.

Luckily, they have a kick-ass subway.

-brendan

Re: nyc - 04/12/2003 15:25

Once you drive in and around NYC, you won't want to do that again for the rest of your *life*.
I have no problem driving in NYC. I have a problem with parking my car there. Either risk it being broken, broken into, or stolen on the street (if you can find a spot) or pay $15/hour for a garage.
Posted by: drakino

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 03:40

Luckily, they have a kick-ass subway.

Out of all the transit systems I have seen in big cities, NYC was the worst. (Of the BART, DART, and the Underground). The maps were confusing to anyone not experienced with the system, the mixing of the in and out points actually led to me being stuck (because some guy ran up to the gate right as I swiped my card, locking me from using the card there again), and there was no status boards that I saw about train arrival time ETAs and such.

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 08:21

Yeah, but it's one of the few subway systems with express trains.
Posted by: furtive

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 10:11

An express is only quicker if it stops where you want it to, rather than in the middle of Harlem. At about 11:30 at night.

/VOE

As for what to see in NY:

Top of the Empire State building
Macy's
Skating rink in Central Park
5th Ave
Walk round the Village
Tavern on Jane (8th Ave Jane St) for fantastic brunch
Staten Island ferry to go past the girl
Times Square
South Street Seaport

That should keep you fairly busy.

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 10:38

Express trains don't usually run at that time of night.

If Harlem is good enough for Bill Clinton, it's good enough for me.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 12:50

I've got to say, though, they haven't done anything to "pretty it up." It's still scary as hell. I guess I'm just used to the stations on the DC Metro, which are enormous, have security officers in most of them, and are all completely clean.

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 12:52

It's still scary as hell
Truth
Posted by: lectric

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 13:14

... Bill Clinton, it's good enough for me.
Have you SEEN Paula Jones?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 13:21

*wiping Dew off monitor.*

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 13:24

I hope that's Mountain Dew.

-brendan

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 13:29

Good point
Posted by: siberia37

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 16:02

I don't understand nyc from what I've heard harlem has rents just as outrageous as anywhere in NY yet it's still considered the bad part of town. What do people do in NY to afford to live there?

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 20:47

Sell crack
Posted by: genixia

Re: nyc - 05/12/2003 21:52

ROTFL. Perfect response.

Posted by: johnmcd3

Re: nyc - 06/12/2003 13:36

Posted by: sn00p

Re: nyc - 07/12/2003 05:17

Go to the natural history museum for the hayden planetarium, it's quite cool, but don't do what me and mate did - stand there looking down into the sphere for most of the show, only realising later that it's much more effective if you don't do that!

Like someone else said, the village is cool - the market is really cool at christmas - nice place.

Washington square - just because you see it on TV in films n' stuff! Same for grand central station.

Adrian
Posted by: furtive

Re: nyc - 07/12/2003 07:09

In reply to:

Express trains don't usually run at that time of night. [/qupte]

The A trains were.