Strange BBS / browser behaviour

Posted by: julf

Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 27/12/2003 12:11

Hmm... Something I find really funny when reading the BBS...

Some days the boards get automatically updated when I read articles (as in showing an up-to-date view of what I've read and what not), and on those days I am *not* allowed to "back up" if I have posted something (get he warning about POST action).

On other days I have to manually reload to get an up-to-date view of threads, but I can back up as much as I like. The funny thing is that it comes and goes.

I'm using Mozilla Firebird as my browser.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 27/12/2003 12:30

Sound like your ISP may be playing with a transparent proxy, or the cache in Firebird is acting weird.

Try setting the cache size to 0 in Firebird, and if the issue persists, there is a good chance your ISP is proxying web traffic.

Re: Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 27/12/2003 14:14

I thought it might be my ISP, but why some days and not others?
I'll try again with Firebird cache settings - as soon as I get a "cached" day again
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 28/12/2003 15:53

I've had that problem with various browsers. I think it's due to reading the BBS from multiple places. This usually seems to solve it: logout, login, force a reload of the main index, then proceed as normal.
Posted by: drakino

Re: Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 29/12/2003 11:29

I will be updating the test site to the 6.4 release, and hopefully moving it over to production soon after. Most of the underlying code got rewritten in the jump from 5.5 to 6.0, so if it is the BBS causing it, the problems may go away then.

Re: Strange BBS / browser behaviour - 29/12/2003 12:15

OK! Not that it's a major problem - it's just curious how it happens sometimes, and at other times not.