Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while driving.

Posted by: ricin

Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while driving. - 16/04/2004 19:59

Looks like a new playlist is going on the empeg.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while driving. - 17/04/2004 09:25

What an asinine study. Sounds more like someone's got a thing against Wagner and Verdi.
Posted by: ricin

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 17/04/2004 16:35

Yeah, I think they were just looking for something to do.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while driving. - 17/04/2004 17:31

How exactly do they name the most calming songs? "Mad World," while one of my favorite songs at the moment, simply doesn't feel like a driving song. "Come Away With Me" does a bit (sort of has that flowing feeling). I don't know.

I will say, though, that any song with a realistic siren in it is pretty unsafe, because it gets me frantically searching behind me for the cops

One other one that used to freak me out all the time is "How Do You" by Radiohead. I guess it was due to my speaker placement in the Eclipse I used to drive, but the thud at the very end of the song sounded either like something had banged the bottom of my car, or my trunk release had gone off
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 17/04/2004 17:43

Quite possibly, but it is an interesting study, none-the-less. I've noticed that my own driving can very subtly change depending on the music I'm listening too at the time, and sometimes, subtle changes are all that stands between driving and crashing.
Posted by: tahir

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 18/04/2004 07:28

Anything by Billy Idol, the closest to death I've been in a car. I was testing the top speed of my car (Mk II Golf GTi) when I lost control at 115 in the rain, did a 180 and scared the [censored] out of some guys I'd just passed. I've never played anything by Billy in my car again...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 18/04/2004 11:24

I was testing the top speed of my car (Mk II Golf GTi) when I lost control at 115 in the rain
I believe I speak for just about everyone when I say that it's obvious the music was not the deciding factor here.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 18/04/2004 12:45

Maybe the music inspired him to do this: "It's a ... nice day for a ... max speed test"

At least he didn't get to the "start again" part.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 19/04/2004 00:46

At least he didn't get to the "start again" part.
Maybe he did, but misheard it as "in the rain".
Posted by: tahir

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 19/04/2004 03:27

I believe I speak for just about everyone when I say that it's obvious the music was not the deciding factor here.

Maybe, but I'm not taking any chances
Posted by: lectric

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 19/04/2004 20:44

I'd have to say that listening to techno pumping hard makes me want to drive significantly faster, along with more aggresively.
Posted by: bbowman

Re: Top 5 most dangerous songs to play while drivi - 20/04/2004 09:31

For me, it's just the sound of the engine that makes me want to drive faster - so as long as I blast the music over the car sounds, I'm safe. -- actually, I just have a habit of speeding on the freeway regardless of what I hear!