MP3 Archive To DVD

Posted by: ineedcolor

MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:04

Hello All

After tediously recovering all of my MP3 collection off a crashed disk, I have decided it's time to finally make backups of my preciousssss....

Question: Is there a way to burn a MP3 archive onto DVD+R, I can't seem to find any resources on the 'net explaining how...

Thanks -
Posted by: tfabris

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:12

How do you burn any file to DVD+R? MP3s are just files.

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:19

Exactly Tony...However all of the resources I have seen deal strictly with the dvd file structure system (VOB, BUP and IFO) and explain only how to burn video and audio content. Nothing out there about file storage...maybe I haven't dug deep enough?
Posted by: skibum

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:21

I use Nero and you can burn a dvd just like you can a cd. Download the demo copy and give it ago.

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:26

If I recall correctly, DVD+R drives are designed so that they work like a normal filesystem. In other words, you can simply open them in Windows Explorer and drag the files onto them.

The only time you *need* to do special burning is when you're trying to make something that'll play on a DVD player. Otherwise, treat them like a disk drive.

At least, the one firewire DVD burner we've got here at work is that way. Maybe it's something special about that model of drive, but I thought they all worked that way.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:37

You only have to worry about the file structure if you are making a video dvd to be played on a dvd player. To back up mp3s just make a data disk and arrange them however you like.

If you use the little wizard in nero just pick dvd then data.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:40

It has nothing to do with the drive, Tony. You can place any filesystem you want on a DVD. Most DVDs use UDF, though ISO9660 (CDROM filesystem) is also supported, apparently. Video DVDs use UDF with a specific structure. Otherwise, they're exactly like non-video UDF DVDs.

Any (Windows) burning software should allow you to use UDF and just throw files on there.

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 12:47

Any (Windows) burning software should allow you to use UDF and just throw files on there.
Gotcha. The point I was trying to make (and I could be wrong about this) is that you don't even need burning software. Just open the drive and drag files. At least the one we've got here works that way, it might be special in that regard.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 14:07

maybe im just getting old, but i prefer to use special burning software. makes me feel powerful

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 14:39

Thank you for the info guys, I'll give it a go tonight
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 21/06/2004 15:54

Nah. Not getting old. It is just nice to have complete control over the format and structure of the disk. This is especially important for any kind of mastering.
Posted by: Roger

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 22/06/2004 03:30

I use Nero and you can burn a dvd just like you can a cd.

Yeah. This is how I backed up my MP3 collection. I just used Nero 6.

Re: MP3 Archive To DVD - 23/06/2004 00:19

Congrats to all who replied... I used Nero 6 and successfully backed up my current collection, it took ten DVD discs!

Thanks again.