New board bug reports/feedback (v6.5b1)

Posted by: drakino

New board bug reports/feedback (v6.5b1) - 28/06/2004 06:05

Thread now locked, this is the v6.5b1 thread of old.
Posted by: ricin

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 06:14

Killer! Thanks for all your efforts. We all appreciate all the work you've put into this. Now, the only thing left to do is find a theme that looks good and isn't all "happy."
Posted by: Shonky

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 06:21

Yep, those problems all seem fixed. Thanks Drakino for all your work.

Drakino:
Not sure about the old BBS software, but I'm pretty sure it used to hide/obfuscate email addresses when viewing a users profile. Can you turn that on please?

ricin:
I find the "infopop" theme to be fairly good. I never did like the default very dark them on the old BBS.
Posted by: thinfourth2

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 08:08

Oh its all different help panic panic

Looks just like the old board to me and this funky quick reply thingy at the bottom is nice
Posted by: Roger

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 08:18

Quote:

this funky quick reply thingy at the bottom is nice

I don't like it. I also don't like the "Extra Information" window down there at the bottom.

Typically (if I'm using IE to view the board), I'll Shift-click on all the new threads to open them all at once. IE doesn't always skip to the anchor for the newest unread item, so I have to press End.

With all this other stuff at the bottom of the page, I have to hit PgUp a couple of times. This is a little annoying.

Is there a per-user way to turn on/off the Quick Reply and Extra Information panels? I didn't see one anywhere.
Posted by: BartDG

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 08:34

I don't like the way the main screen doesn't show anymore how many new topics and replies have been made since my last visit. I also don't like the way how this software doesn't automatically jump to the first unread post when clicking on a thread.

Apart from that it doesn't look half bad. It'll take a bit of getting used to but I guess that's only to be expected.

Thanks for all the trouble you went through to get this done.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 08:41

Greetings!

Interesting... Very interesting...

It will take a little while to get used to. Not that it is really all that different, and I can tell the amount of effort you put into keeping it the same. Nice! Thanks again for all of your work with this.

One probably obvious thing. You no longer need the link to the Rio Receiver board in the header...
Posted by: Shonky

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 08:58

I don't like the way the main screen doesn't show anymore how many new topics and replies have been made since my last visit.

I queried drakino about this a bit earlier (I couldn't reply so it was via PM). I didn't hear back from drakino but it certainly looks like he fixed it to me.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 09:38

Great work! I think everything turned out very well! I'm actually a fan of the "Quick Reply". I use it on other forums I belong to. Usually "Quick Reply" doesn't offer a preview or "Add signature", so those additions are nice. Maybe the quick reply text box can be made smaller to help with Roger's situation?

This is a great move for the community!

edit: d-oh! Looks like my signature needs some editing!
Posted by: JaBZ

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 10:40

arrrggggghhhh I'm using black and blue style sheet which looks like absolute crap, too bright!!, looked nice and dark (blue) on the other board... I got this issue with the karma beta board too..
Anyway can get it to look like it did on previous board?

Also when I log in, and go to the main screen (main index) my style sheet changes to the default one and says I'm not logged in. If I go into another section i.e. off topic or general it's ok and says I am logged in and changes my stylesheet.
Posted by: Laura

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 10:41

I agree that it will take some time getting used to it and if there's a way to have it show the new topics and replies since our last visit, please let us know, I miss that.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 10:49

Quote:

I agree that it will take some time getting used to it and if there's a way to have it show the new topics and replies since our last visit, please let us know, I miss that.

yes......yes... that feature is precious!....
Posted by: boxer

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:00

Yep, I'll add weight to that (A lot in my case!)
Posted by: robricc

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:11

Quote:

I also don't like the way how this software doesn't automatically jump to the first unread post when clicking on a thread.

I'm not sure if you figured it out by now, but if you click this: , you will jump to the first unread post. I would prefer it to be the default action when clicking the subject like the older software though. Overall, I think it's pretty good and is a welcomed change. Thanks Tom!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:13

Hmm I think it's the stylesheets that cause it not to display new topics and replies since last visit.
I switched to use "Serene Silver" and "Default", and I could see new topics and replies, it also changes the "thread title" cell row colour to silver for unread, and blue for read. Although visiting a section with new posts and replies and refreshing or backing out without reading the posts will cause the indicators to disappear.

I cant see if it works with 'main index' since it still thinks I'm not logged in if I go there.. same thing in IE (shudder) too..
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:29

Using the color scheme that matched the old board's dark/purple style with larger fonts.
Stylesheet/HTML crappiness with this board version (same problem exists in most BBS software by default):

1. The following columns are CENTER justified instead of LEFT:

"Last Post" on main index view
"Poster" on forum index view
"Last Post" on forum index view

Please make them left justified. Way easier to read.

Next up...

2. New items in the forum index have their table cell background set to a really ugly color: It's a sort of grey-yellow (every new post in the thread and has its header this color). It would be nice to not change the color of the table cells and use only the typical icons to mark what's new or not.

3. Don't like the Quick Reply box being open by default. Some forum software keeps it hidden until a quick-reply link is clicked on.

4. "Extra Information" table at the bottom really big. I'd like the option to turn it off or just have it made smaller in the HTML template. Don't need board permissions nor the names of the moderators every time I open a thread.

5. Extended stats under each person's name for each post is a little repetitious and too much like so many other boards. I liked the fact the old board wasn't set up to display this info all the time (# posts and join date) - I suppose I can learn to like the location entry.

6. As has been mentioned before, can't stand the "jumpt to new post" icon and would strongly prefer allowing clicking on the title of the thread to jump to the first new post as the BBS supported before.

7. Moderator and Admin poster colors aren't working. I suppose some other special color groups may also be affected.

Tom, I can imagine the nightmare going from one version to a new version and jumping domain names at the same time. Doing well so far, good luck with the final small details.

All for now.
Bruno
Posted by: msaeger

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:41

For me it shows there are new posts on the front page but when I click on the forum it doesn't show them. Also even after I read the threads if still shows the same number of new posts on the front page after doing a refresh.

I will really miss the feature to jump to the first unread post in a thread. I thought that was the best feature of the old bbs.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 11:53

Coupla obvious notes. All the smilies are missing and showing up as broken image links in the posts. Unread topics are in a white table row which is really annoying. Here's what I'm seeing:

Posted by: DWallach

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 12:26

I'm still adjusting to the new software, but the only thing that seems in need of work is fixing the use of those white backgrounds for unread topics. Everything else, so far, seems pretty good.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 12:38

I do like the way you can collaspe the areas that you don't care to read, that is a nice feature. And being able to change font color and have instant UBB code with a click of a mouse is also very useful, keeps one from having to look it up each time .
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:02

Ditto on having it automatically jump to the first unread post. One of the best features from the old forum. Should at least be an option in our preferences if not the default action.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:24

I'll third or fourth the jump-to-new-posts-as-default idea. Also, the old BBS has different icons for new posts. (They were just different colors from the non-new icons, I think.) This would be nice here, too.

I also hate the quick reply thing. We've done a really good job keeping threads threaded properly and I wouldn't want to see that get spoiled. I vote for killing it altogether.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:29

Someone needs to change their signature file

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:31

Good point. I'll do it in a sec.

Also, get rid of the "HOT!" icon. I don't need the BBS to tell me twice that there are a lot of posts in a thread. It also draws too much attention to the BBS during my work-time goof-off sessions.
Posted by: tonyc

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:34

FYI, for those with broken color in their sigs, the fix is to change
[red]foo[/red]
to
[color:red]foo[/color]

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:39

My feedback so far:

1. I would un-clutter the post/reply page. Get rid of the "Instant Graemlins" and UBBcode stuff.
2. I liked the old post icon dropdown box rather than the radio buttons that are there now. Again, less clutter.
3. I think listing the number of people viewing a particular forum is distracting and doesn't add that much value.

Those are my biggest gripes so far, overall things look pretty good.
Posted by: image

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:39

in opera in linux, everything is center aligned.
[image]http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=224237[/image]

and, posting images does not see to be working =)
Posted by: Dignan

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:52

I like the changes, and wouldn't really change anything but the horrible white backgrounds we're getting on some of the cells. Like someone said, I'd eliminate a change in background for threads with new posts. That will just get incredibly annoying.

Aside from that, I've got no complaints. It's funny to see Infopop incorporate some of the ideas from other board software like phpBB (the instant board code is something I've been wishing this board had - and I wish they had added the keyboard shortcuts for them as well).

Anyway, keep up the good work. I just beg that you go into the stylesheet for the classic board colors and just quickly change that background thing. It's hurting my eyes somethin' awful!

(ps- another little thing I like is that now it's only one tab from the text box to the post button. just a little thing, but that's how I post, so I like it )
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 13:53

From the "My Home" page, clicking either of the "Delete Checked" buttons for Post Reminders/Favourite Topics navigates you to the BBS front page afterwards.

Ideally, I think that the page should simply refresh after clicking the button(s).

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:06

Quote:

I'm not sure if you figured it out by now, but if you click this: , you will jump to the first unread post

Yes, I had already figured that out, even by the time I made that post. But that's one more mouseclick that wasn't necessary before, and I'm lazy.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:11

Quote:

Yes, I had already figured that out, even by the time I made that post. But that's one more mouseclick that wasn't necessary before, and I'm lazy.

That little icon should also be appearing next to the subject on the index of posts. I'll check for a hack later to change the next and previous buttons to use that link by default. Wanted that on the old boards, looks easier to possibly do here. I'm just trying to minimize hacks directly to the code.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:12

I second or third that about the horrible white backgrounds. Way too flashy.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:13

Every effort to fix this is much appreciated, thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:15

Quote:

Not sure about the old BBS software, but I'm pretty sure it used to hide/obfuscate email addresses when viewing a users profile. Can you turn that on please?

The old board and new board do noy show the e-mail address used for administrative purposes anywhere viewable to non admins. Whatever you have in the e-mail (publicially displayed) field shows up in your profile. Thats per the identical privacy policy between the two boards.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:16

It's not actually an extra mouse click, though, and this may help Roger as well.

See, Roger has the problem that IE sometimes doesn't puick up the automatic jump to the first new post. In those cases instead of the annoyance he's experiencing with the End>PageUp>PageUp stuff, he could just click on the link at the top of each thread to jump to the first new post. Since he has to do it manually by the keyboard anyway, he might as well just use that link.

As for the other part, you have a choice now, which I like. Go to a forum and look at the threads with new posts. Now there is an icon just to the left of the thread titles. It is a seperate link that will automatically take you to the first new post. This just means that you have to focus your mouse clicks a little more, and it takes getting used to, but I like this better. It gives you a choice. Sometimes I want to see the information in the first post of a thread.

Again, this is how it works in phpBB. I wonder if they got it from them

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:21

Quote:

I don't like the way the main screen doesn't show anymore how many new topics and replies have been made since my last visit.

Odd, thats working for myself, and people in IRC. Not sure whats going on there to hide it, I'm waiting on a better looking empeg.css to try. I thought it might be a stylesheet glitch, but others can see the numbers on the empeg style.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:23

Quote:

Go to a forum and look at the threads with new posts. Now there is an icon just to the left of the thread titles. It is a seperate link that will automatically take you to the first new post.

Ah! I hadn't noticed that! I'll give that a try, thanks! The way you describe it, it sounds like it works just as good as the old board.
Posted by: genixia

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:25

I'm sure that this will annoy Bitt as much as it's already annoying me;

"Reged" is not a word. It is not even a common abbreviation for the word "Registered".

I could live with "Reg'd:", "Reg'ed:", or even "Reg.:", but not "Reged:"

Thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:26

Quote:

Odd, thats working for myself, and people in IRC. Not sure whats going on there to hide it, I'm waiting on a better looking empeg.css to try. I thought it might be a stylesheet glitch, but others can see the numbers on the empeg style.

It works now for me too. So you're saying that you didn't fix it? Odd. I haven't been online for a few hours so I thought that you had.
Anyway, it's working fine now, so I'm happy!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:29

Quick Links needs fixing - "Rio Receiver/Rio Central BBS" needs removing.

Is it me or have "My Home" and "Main Index" switched positions? I use the "Main Index" link a lot and preferred it as the first link.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:34

1. The following columns are CENTER justified instead of LEFT:
Please make them left justified. Way easier to read.

I'll consider this. should be a simple change in the template files. (new concept in 6.x)

2. New items in the forum index have their table cell background set to a really ugly color: It's a sort of grey-yellow (every new post in the thread and has its header this color). It would be nice to not change the color of the table cells and use only the typical icons to mark what's new or not.

Color issues due to not getting the empeg and empeg2.css stylesheets fixed. Expecting that fixed in the next hour (to a better color). Getting it to work like the old biard will probably be a tad too much work.

3. Don't like the Quick Reply box being open by default. Some forum software keeps it hidden until a quick-reply link is clicked on.

Probably a setting somewhere. Quick Reply used to be a hack added to the boards (6.x), now it's integrated in 6.5. If that setting isn't somewhere, I'll request it. That should help Roger a bit as well.

4. "Extra Information" table at the bottom really big. I'd like the option to turn it off or just have it made smaller in the HTML template. Don't need board permissions nor the names of the moderators every time I open a thread.

Going to see what I can slim down in the templates. The extra info like moderator info is definitly not needed here. Ratings is already on my kill list, and going to (again) request an easier way to kill them like the single checkbox to kill user ratings.

5. Extended stats under each person's name for each post is a little repetitious and too much like so many other boards. I liked the fact the old board wasn't set up to display this info all the time (# posts and join date) - I suppose I can learn to like the location entry.

Probably a template change as well. I'm used to a flood of info from being logged in as an admin. What is everyone elses feelings on this? Hide or show the new stuff over there?

6. As has been mentioned before, can't stand the "jumpt to new post" icon and would strongly prefer
allowing clicking on the title of the thread to jump to the first new post as the BBS supported before.

I'm liking the choice granted by the new icon. Try aiming for it on the index page and see how that works for a bit. I'd like to do a wait and see on this instead of immediately trying to revert it to 5.5 behavior.

7. Moderator and Admin poster colors aren't working. I suppose some other special color groups may also be affected.

This got moved into the stylesheets and the empeg2.css lacks this. Again, will be fixed soon. Going to kill those damn A and M flags soon too. Not sure how to deal with the other special colors, will poke at it a bit more later.

Tom, I can imagine the nightmare going from one version to a new version and jumping domain names at the same time. Doing well so far, good luck with the final small details.

You forgot the merge process too, the bane of my existance yesterday when every thing that could go wrong practicially did, including a storm somehow knocking out a network that should never be down.

Good feedback thus far.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:38

Quote:

Also, get rid of the "HOT!" icon. I don't need the BBS to tell me twice that there are a lot of posts in a thread. It also draws too much attention to the BBS during my work-time goof-off sessions.

Will be killed here soon if I can easially, or at least set to a higher number. Drives me nuts as well actually.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:39

Quote:

FYI, for those with broken color in their sigs, the fix is to change
[red]foo[/red]
to
[color:red]foo[/color]

The old [red] and such should still work. Problem is that I didn't get that code into the BBS when it did some signature migration, so the tags skipped being converted once. In the database, the software always stores things like that at HTML to avoid doing UBB conversions on every read.
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:41

OK, all the polls have ended and cannot be accessed, Can they be restarted? Also I agree that My Home and Main Index needs to be reversed. I like the new board but it is going to take a while to get used to...

Sean in NC

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:43

Quote:

Is it me or have "My Home" and "Main Index" switched positions?

Yes, they did. I use the "Main Index" link a lot too and while reading the board I click on it blindly. I already ended up a few times in "My Home" by mistake. So I'd also like to have these two switched again if possible. Thanks!
Posted by: tfabris

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:47

Let me just start by saying... God, I hate how cluttered the screen is on the new software. Tom, please do anything and everything in your power to simplify the screen layout. Anything that removes unnecessary crud on the screen is a good thing.

To that end, I just turned off the Quick Reply box by default. Because I could. And because others complained about it. I agree with the sentiment of keeping the discussions properly threaded even if everyone uses flat mode. I'm not sure if this is a global BBS feature, or if it's something that is supposed to be controllable per-user. I don't see a per-user option to control this anywhere in my options.

- OMFG, now I remember why I resisted switching to this software. Is there any way we can hack out all the rating crap? Again, useless clutter.

- I second the sentiment to hack out the "hot" thingy. Clutter.

- Top of screen still links to the old Rio Receiver BBS. That used to be something I had the power to change myself, but now I don't see it in the admin control panel any more.

- The Title bar text (the HTML page title of every page) is now all the same instead of different for forums and posts. In the past it used to say "Viewing a list of forums" or "Viewing a list of posts" or "<Post Title>". This was very useful because those of us who loved Tabbed Browsers could see, in the tab titles, whether you'd opened a tab for a list of posts, or opened a specific post. That meant that in a tabbed browser you could get the main screen and shift-click all the forums with new posts, go to one of the "viewing a list of posts" tabs, then shift-click all the posts on that tab, find the nest "Viewing a list of posts" tab, shift click all its posts, etc. Now all says "Unofficia..." for every single tab, regardless of whether it's a list or a post. So I can't see what is a thread and what is a post. So tabbed browsing is utterly fucking useless on this software now. How do we hack this back to the way it was before? Puh-leeeze?

- In the main forum list and in the lists of posts, it used to say (12 new) in a different color. Now it's an almost-invisible (12) that is much much harder to see. This is very important to me. All joking about robots aside, one of the reasons that I can keep up with the BBS during the day is because I wrote a VB program to blink a systray icon when a new post appeared on the BBS. This allowed me to quickly scan for new posts on the board, quickly reply if necessary, and then go back to work. The VB program did this by looking for the text " new)" and checking to see if that was preceded by a number. If so, blink the icon. Now that it doesn't say " new)" any more, my parser program can't work. If you've got an idea as to what else it could parse for, I could see about making that edit instead of asking you to figure out how to hack " new)" back into the BBS.

- Something else I do is that I clear my cache and cookies regularly. To keep me from having to manually log in to the BBS after a clear-out, I use a pre-formatted URL that includes the user name and password parameters already in there. For instance, for the old BBS, it was this:
http://empeg.comms.net/php/start_page.ph...mp;option=Login
Can I still do this? Any hints on what the format of the URL should be?

- DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO at the top of my lungs to the complaints about it not scrolling down to the new posts any more. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! AAaaaAAA AaAA AGGGHHHHH!!!! OMFG THAT SUCKS SO BAD! Ahem. Ah. Okay, that's off my chest now.

- Related to the above, but much more egregious: If you click on a thread title that is multiple pages, and the newest post is on page 2 or later, it goes to page 1 instead of to the page containing the first new thread. That's not just irritating, it's downright broken, and lame to boot.

- I was reading a post about pronto CCF codes, and at the top of the screen above the post it said that the forum hierarchy for the post was: General -> Technical/Troubleshooting. But there is no forum with that hierarchy. Each product group has a technical forum, but not "General". So something is bugged about the part of the BBS that displays the thread hierarchy. I use this feature often. For example, in the case of reading a post about CCF codes, perhaps the user didn't specify which product he was asking for CCF codes for (he did this time, but let's say hypothetically that he didn't). So I might choose to look up at the top of the screen and see if he's in Empeg, Rio Receiver, or Rio Central.

- Hm. Previewing this post, there is a dotted line above my signature. I didn't type a dotted line. My signature is designed to look set-off from the post already, I don't need a poor-looking dotted line to set it off like that. I like mine better. Can that be hacked out too?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:52

What he said!
Posted by: Micman2b

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 14:56

Another thing... Can we ger rid of the Reged and make it say something else... Reged brings back bad memories etc... long story...

Sean in NC
Posted by: loren

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:03

Thanks for all the work on this Drakino. Don't kill yourself making all the tiny improvements at once... they can be done over time.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:03

Darn, Tom turned the quick reply box back on. I say we decide this one with a cage match.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:14

Trying to use a pre-built URL to log into the BBS like I did for the old one. I'm trying this:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php?Cat=0&from=&Loginname=tfabris&Loginpass=mypassword&rememberme=1&firstlogin=1&buttlogin=Login

And I'm getting "all the required fields are not filled in". Any ideas how to make this work?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:21

Quote:

- DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO at the top of my lungs to the complaints about it not scrolling down to the new posts any more. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!! AAaaaAAA AaAA AGGGHHHHH!!!! OMFG THAT SUCKS SO BAD! Ahem. Ah. Okay, that's off my chest now.

Did you read my post above? It isn't broken, it's changed. Whether or not you like the change is another story. I like having the choice.

Quote:

- Related to the above, but much more egregious: If you click on a thread title that is multiple pages, and the newest post is on page 2 or later, it goes to page 1 instead of to the page containing the first new thread. That's not just irritating, it's downright broken, and lame to boot.

I guess it's me then. That never, ever worked on the old board either. Whether you clicked on the thread title or the last page of the thread or "show all", it seemed there was no way at all to jump to the newest post.

And now that you mention it, I tried clicking on that icon for multiple-page threads, and it works for me! I don't know what you're doing, but it does work. It didn't work on the old board.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:24

Tom, so far there have been some people requesting that there be no change in cell background for new threads and posts. It's very distracting. I request that we go back to the old icons for new post notification. At the very least, those white folders are distracting with the classic color scheme.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:25

Quote:

http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/start_page.php?Cat=0&from=&Loginname=tfabris&Loginpass=mypassword&rememberme=1&firstlogin=1&buttlogin=Login

Another issue: this long URL (from Tony's post) is causing the whole on-screen table to be wider than my window. Is there some feature in the software to break up these long lines, or maybe allow one post to be wider than the screen without dragging all the other posts with it?

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box? I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:26

Another issue: I like to view the whole thread in flat mode. When I used to hit reply, it would go back to the full-thread view. Now, it goes back to just the last page. Grumble.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:28

It's [ q ] [ / q ]

This was the equivalent of combining a quote with orange color, but I believe that has changed. I like how compact it is!
And I also like how there aren't unecessary new lines added to the end of a quote. There used to be at least two.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:29

Quote:

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box?

I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

One uses [quote] and the other uses [q]

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 15:31

Quote:

Also, what's the "preferred" way of quoting somebody without getting this ugly "Quote" box?

I used to hand-code orange and italics, but I see others here get nice compact boxes with all the colors and such just so. What's the magic incantation?

One uses [quote] and the other uses [q]

Ahh, makes sense. Maybe this should be on the "Instant UBB Code" thing.
Posted by: peter

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 16:20

Can we turn off, or at least make user-settable, the thing whereby all off-board links open in new windows? Not all browsers have options for disabling this, and sometimes I forget to right-click links.

Peter

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 16:34

Okay, I see now that the table rows that contain new posts are a different color. That's not bad. I can probably get used to seeing that as meaning new posts.

However, I don't like the white/yellow new posts color indicators. A yellow light doesn't seem more or less on than a white light to me. Maybe if it was dark/white or dark/yellow. The same color scheme is used somewhere with folder icons, too. Any way to "fix" that?

Ooh. Wait. &ldquo;fix&rdquo; Did those quotes work? Nuts.
Posted by: trs24

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 17:05

Hey, nice work on the new bbs launch. There are a lot of features that I am liking - like the view favorite posts toggle, for example, and the ability to collapse all the rio categories, etc...

Once thing that echoes a lot of sentiment, though. The main index page does seem very cluttered. I think one thing that might help right off the bat would be to remove the light bulbs on the left all-together. A lot of people mentioned them being distracting, and I agree. I think removing them will simplify the look of the page greatly. And, I'd then suggest re-implementing the (# new) text in the # of posts column for each forum. That was the way that I new that new posts had been entered, and it seemed to work a lot easier than the light bulb. Anyway, those are my suggestions. I think it looks great, though, and thanks for all the hard work!!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 17:43

Okay, I see now that the table rows that contain new posts are a different color. That's not bad. I can probably get used to seeing that as meaning new posts.

I do not like the different colors for new threads. I might be able to get used to the different colors for new posts, as that could be helpful, but if you'll notice, there are two different colors for threads with new posts, depending on the alternating rows. This gets kind of confusing, particularly if you are checking the threads in a non-linear order.

However, I don't like the white/yellow new posts color indicators. A yellow light doesn't seem more or less on than a white light to me. Maybe if it was dark/white or dark/yellow.

I agree, but that might be a bit ugly. Dark white? I just want to get rid of those glaring white folders. Of course, now I can't even remember what those icons were on the old software. Whatever it was it wasn't as unpleasing to the eye.
Posted by: Skunk

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 17:55

It will take a little getting use to but other than that I think it's looking great!
Especially the new logo

It could of been just me but a found that my birth date was set to a default of Janurary 01, 2004. I'm not sure if it is because I never entered a date or what.

Keep up the great work!!!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 19:07

Dark white
I mean dark bulbs and white bulbs, not dark white (gray?). Actually, yellow would probably be better.
now I can't even remember what those icons were on the old software
They were yellow and orange folders, where orange meant new stuff. I thought it was a good color scheme.

I understand your complaint about the alternating colors when you read out of order. I hadn't considered that. Maybe if the unread colors were a bit more contrasting to the read colors. Really, though, I think that the icons need to be different colors and that would help a lot. Actually, they are, but somehow, again, the white looks more like a mistake than an indicator.
Posted by: muzza

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 19:36

If this post works, then an ongoing problem I've been having is fixed!
Posted by: Half_Geek

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 19:43

One thing I do miss is the "Last 24 hours", "Last 7 days" etc quick-links. I have found the Active Topics for the last 24 hours, which is nice, but I can't do the others. The search engine lets me specify 2 or 7 days but won't let me search with blank search terms.

Apart from that, the new board seems to be working well for me

EDIT - every time I click the "Jump to last unread post" icons I get something like the following -

"We cannot proceed.

Script: /home/drakino/bbs/empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php
Line#: 786
SQL Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'AND t1.B_PosterId = t2.U_Number AND B_Approved = 'yes' ' at line 6
SQL Error #: 1064
Query: SELECT FROM w3t_Posts AS t1, w3t_Users AS t2 WHERE t1.B_Number = AND t1.B_PosterId = t2.U_Number AND B_Approved = 'yes'

Please use your back button to return to the previous page. "

Any use?

*edit by admin to shorten URL*

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/06/2004 19:43

there is a dotted line above my signature. I didn't type a dotted line. My signature is designed to look set-off from the post already, I don't need a poor-looking dotted line to set it off like that. I like mine better. Can that be hacked out too?
Ditto.

Modified topic titles show up in forum index. Wrongly. - 29/06/2004 00:18

I too prefer the automatic jump to last unread post. The _vast_ majority of the time I'm not interested in re-reading all the posts. And on the _rare_ occasion that I want to read an earlier post in a thread I have no problem in a couple more clicks. We can always click to Page X on the topic list...

Another quirk that I've just noticed is that now the most recently-posted-to topic of each forum is listed on the forum index page, it takes the most recently posted topic header and not the original topic title. This doesn't make any sense to me. Whilst the ability to modify the topic in a thread may be useful, the original topic title is how we identify each thread, regardless of modifications. I think that the index should reflect that,
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 01:36

I also hate the quick reply thing. We've done a really good job keeping threads threaded properly and I wouldn't want to see that get spoiled. I vote for killing it altogether.

Uhhh... yeah. What he said.

tanstaafl.
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 02:06

Well, it's different from what I'm used to, so it can't possibly be any good.

I want to add my vote for making first unread post the default when opening a thread.

The only other problem I have is probably my own incompetence. I'm pretty sure I used to be able to configure the old bbs so that it did not put the column down the left side of the page showing the posters name, his avatar, etc, and now I can't figure out how to do the same with the new software. I don't like to give up all that screen real estate to (mostly) blank space.

Am I missing something obvious?

tanstaafl.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 02:25

i remember that one could turn off the displaying of avatars, but i dont recall the ability to turn off the bar completely

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 02:51

Quote:
i remember that one could turn off the displaying of avatars, but i dont recall the ability to turn off the bar completely

There was an option for turning it off, but it was disguised as horizontal/veritcal info display or something like that.

And let me re-iterate that I don't like all the emoticons and UBBcode crap that's on the message posting screen now.
Posted by: gbeer

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 02:52

My 2 bits.

Having alternating cell backgrounds in the thread listing is greusom, Light-new Dark-new Light-old Dark-old, contrasted with an overall listing ordered by time of last post, Its well... greusom. (same as my spelling)

I can live without the quick reply.

Why do I need the right most folder icons? I'm quite happy glancing down the columns of threads, posts or replys to see that something new has been added. I'd like to see the new counts (#) in orange, as before. They are already a different color from the tally, make them orange to stand out.

The folders and post icons fight each other for attention. Something is lost here... Yes, A quick glance is useless.

This stuff is all small fry. I am truly amazed that all this came together as well integrated as it did.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 02:57

hmmm... I just hit a quick reply button. It didn't jump to the quick reply box.

Also maybe if it (the quick reply box) was reordered to the bottom of the page.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 03:12

Why does the stickey thread show on every page of threads? Every time I see the same sticky, my first reaction is that the page didn't change.
Posted by: ShadowMan

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 10:25

One small thing that has bugged me since day one is the time offset. Newfoundland has it's own times zone. It's -3.5 hours from GMT. I can't enter that kind of offset in the settings.

Minor, don't worry about it, but if you are a perfectionist then...

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 10:50

For the stylesheet, two minor color changes will significantly reduce screen clutter:

1. Box around edit/reply/quote/quick reply should be the same as the header color.

2. Borders around quotes can be made the same as the background color.

Before and after examples attached.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 10:51

(Another post for the second attachment)

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 11:04

While I'm on the subject of stylesheet colors, there are two layers of borders around the main tables, when only one is needed. Changing the outermost layer to black would make the screen look much cleaner.
Posted by: elperepat

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 14:07

Hi!

Am I the only one with problems with pages not being updated when I click on Main Index or any particular forum? I had no problem with the old version, but now, when I'm in a thread, when I click on Main Index on the top, the new post counter doesn't get updated. Sometimes, when I'm at the main index, it shows me 3 new topics in a forum and when I click on that forum, I get the old forum index page I read 30 minutes ago, without those new threads.

I tried with Opera and IE (shame on me, but that's what my job want me to use) and this is repeatable on both.

If I remeber well, there's a HTML tag to tell the browser not to cache the page ...

Found it:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="-1">

I don't know if it would help... Maybe I'm the only one with this problem...

Oh, and some general comments:

-I prefer the way the "new post counter" looked like before: (xx new)

-The rightmost column is too crowded. and not that usefull for me. If there's more than one new post, it's useless..

-I won't use Quick Reply.. I'd prefer to have it removed.

-I prefer the way the links to threads worked before: go directly to the first unread post. It happens a lot more often than reading the whole thread. The small arrow is quite hard to aim ;-)

That's about it!!

Thanks for your time and efforts. I really appreciate it!

Minor glitch - Jump To - 29/06/2004 16:40

Greetings!

A request - the "Jump To" bar at the bottom of the page does not have the forums and items listed in the same order as the Main Index. Can this be adjusted to match?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 17:32

The new board is way fast, Tom. All in all, a very good upgrade and merge, despite the quibbles.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 17:35

"Removing" the borders around quotes with "Quote:" looks silly at best and is hard to read at worst. I say no. You could refine them, maybe. Is there some way to only have a left border, like a mail client might show?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 17:41

The [q] is going to get a makeoevr soon, turn it into a true CSS object, so that things like orange text are only used on stylesheets that make sense for it to use that color. I do think the border can be set to only the left as well, though I don't know what CSS level will be required for that.

Once I get past some of the bug tracking, I'll go more into looks fixes like that.

Oh, and I do hope people like the reduction of the Extra Information bar at the bottom. Still going to tweak that more later. Why the jump option is out or order is beyond me. Looks like it is not loking at group order numbers, the admin area does the same. I'll get a bug posted about that soon.

Oh, lastly, no cache tags added as well. Looks like it was causing problems for a few others as well, could have been part of the new post indicator issues.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 18:32

PM releated bug.
I had new PM but no flashing envelope, when I clicked on "My Home" it listed the correct total for the number of PM in my inbox but did not list any as un-read.
One I entered my inbox I got the flashing envelope, and "My Home" did have the correct number of un-read PMs....so maybe just a minor DB glitch that little can be done about.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 18:39

Yeah, I'll confirm that. No unread PM indication.
Posted by: andym

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 18:57

I've noticed a thread of mine 'disappears', I've got my display prefs set to show 10 threads at a time. My thread happened to be at number 11 but when I moved to the second page it wasn't there. Could this sticky topic be blotting it out? Increasing the displayed posts to 15 shows my thread at a posiition 11 on page 1. Is this a fault or a 'feature'?
Posted by: tman

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 18:59

I don't seem to be getting emails sent to me when somebody replies to one of my posts. It used to work before the upgrade. Anybody else getting this?
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 19:09

Tom - I think the site's rending/serving pages (not sure which) a _LOT_ faster than the old one.

-Zeke
Posted by: ninti

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 20:39

Quote:
I think the site's rending/serving pages (not sure which) a _LOT_ faster than the old one.

I second that. A _LOT_ faster.

One of the things I have run into today is that it seems that when I switch from my work to home computers, the last read post markers on the threads are not working right. It gets the count wrong of how many posts are unread and it shows me posts that I have already seen. But I tried it again just now and it worked fine, so maybe I imagined it.

Also, I have had a hard time logging in from my home computer, twice now I have hit the "login" button and it just beings me back to the main page and would not allow me to log in. Restarting the browser (Firefox 0.8) fixed it; I think it might be related to cookies. Of course, I have now set the "remember me" checkbox, so that point is probably moot now.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 21:49

i spoke to drakino about the pm issue. after i talked to him he said he made a change, and it seems to work fine for me

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 22:03

when I switch from my work to home computers, the last read post markers on the threads are not working right. It gets the count wrong of how many posts are unread

I just arrived from work, and it does the same for me: New post count isn't right, but when I press on the arrow, it get me to the correct unread post, not the ones in the count.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 23:21

sig check one two...

grrr... anyone know how to fix that?
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/06/2004 23:55

Quote:
Quote:
I also don't like the way how this software doesn't automatically jump to the first unread post when clicking on a thread.

I'm not sure if you figured it out by now, but if you click this: , you will jump to the first unread post. I would prefer it to be the default action when clicking the subject like the older software though.

When I click either the title or the little curved arrow, it jumps me to the very bottom of the thread, even though there are unread messages near the middle. Yes, if possible, please revert back to the default action of "click the title, jumps straight to the top of the first unread post." That was such a time saver!
Oh yes, and alot of text is in black against the dark blue background (using the default style), especially the quote text in replies. <edit> Hm... my whole post turned out black...
And another little one: when viewing a thread, the text goes to the very edge of the screen. Often, the last word on the line will run off the side of the page. So, there's oddly no right border.

Also (and I haven't had time to read this whole thread), any hope for customizing the reply page, per user or globally? Disabling smilies, instant smilies, instant code, and colors; and restoring word wrap to the posting page?
Time to check my Profile and see if I can hack those settings. Good upgrade, thanks! I'm glad to see the content is all there and the look is nice and similar!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 00:07

Maybe it needs the http thingy on the front of it?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 00:20

When I click either the title or the little curved arrow, it jumps me to the very bottom of the thread, even though there are unread messages near the middle

I think that's a different problem entirely. The icon allows me to jump to the first unread post just fine, and clicking the thread title shouldn't be jumping you anywhere. Sometimes when you click on the jump link, you'll be taken to the first unread post before everything is loaded and then you're somewhat off, but that almost always results in having to scroll down to see the first unread. And that happened on the old board too.

I like the new jump system. I like the new board overall as well. I'm going to wait until Tom says everything he has planned is completed...then complain

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 00:22

The arrow works for me too if I remember to click it.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 00:31

and clicking the thread title shouldn't be jumping you anywhere.

Actually, as Doug and I were just discussing in ICQ, clicking on the thread title jumps you down to the first post in the thread.

This is, quite inconveniently, just barely past the top of the page where the "jump to first unread post" link lies. So not only does it NOT scroll you to the first unread post, it scrolls you PAST the link that lets jump to the first unread post. So even if you got in the habit of clicking that jump link, you still have to do SOME scrolling to get to it.

Poor. Very VERY poor.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 00:49

Did you try this one ?

Edit:
Ok how do I use the image tag ?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 01:23

In the new BBS software, the tag is IMG instead of IMAGE.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 01:28

Quote:
Did you try this one ?

I never noticed that icon before. You're right, it works.

Why on earth that isn't the default "main" click, I don't know.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 01:30

I used the instant UBB code link. I guess IMG doesn't work either.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 01:31

Yeah who knows I never would have found it if robric didn't point it out.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 01:49

> but when I press on the arrow, it get me to the correct unread post, not the ones in the count.

Yeah, for me it was getting that wrong too, but tonight it is fine still.....well, I will note it if it happens again, I guess never mind until then.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 02:51

Try [ image ] instead.

[image]http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/download.php?Number=224509[/image]

I think one or the other wasn't an official tag on the old board either. Besides, the full word version is what you get from the instant UBB code as well.

*edit*
Oh yeah, that's another thing that's changed that I don't like. The attachment link no longer links directly to the attachment. It's a download script. Now we have to click on it then copy the URL. It's an extra step or two that's a bit annoying, but oh well.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 02:53

My guess is that the question mark is confusing it.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 02:57

Probably doesn't recognise the file extension.

[img]:

[image]:

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 02:58

Quote:
Actually, as Doug and I were just discussing in ICQ, clicking on the thread title jumps you down to the first post in the thread.

OK, then there's a lot of confusion going around, because that's not what happens for me at all. Isn't that a bit useless? Why would they add that "feature"?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 03:02

Quote:
Oh yeah, that's another thing that's changed that I don't like. The attachment link no longer links directly to the attachment. It's a download script.

Yeah that does add some hassle. Especially if you're linking a few images.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 03:07

Oh yeah, that's another thing that's changed that I don't like. The attachment link no longer links directly to the attachment. It's a download script. Now we have to click on it then copy the URL. It's an extra step or two that's a bit annoying, but oh well.

That was the problem. I just looked at the attachment link properties to get the url like on the old bbs.
Posted by: Mach

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 03:25

Not a bug as the old board Reply to Post box was the same size but is it possible to increase the size of the Reply to Post box? For longer posts, it is annoying to have to arrow around inside the box. Thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 03:29

On the old board, and I'm pretty sure on this one too, the size of the reply box (the place where you type your reply text) is confgurable per-user as one of your options. Is that what you meant?
Posted by: Mach

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 03:38

Ye Gods! That's what that does?? To think, I've spent 2 years typing in a postage stamp.

Thanks Tony!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 13:09

Some bug in my copy of Firefox is causing your head, lying between two copies of Mach's jittery animation, to vibrate along with them. It's really creepy. It's like your avatar's acquired Parkinson's. Very funny and disturbing.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 15:29

Question:

Is it my imagination, or have the "previous" and "next" functions on the viewing pages reversed themselves from the old BBS?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 15:33

Went in to work this morning and the post count was off again. I suspect it is keeping the post count of this computer rather than checking the post count for my account itself.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 15:39

Heh, Parkinson's... Wish I could see what that looked like.

Ninti, if your post count is off, I recommend logging off the BBS and logging back on again when you switch between home and work. That should clear it up.
Posted by: andy

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 18:50

Quote:
Went in to work this morning and the post count was off again. I suspect it is keeping the post count of this computer rather than checking the post count for my account itself.

Yeah, I've seen three different sets of post counts on three different machines today.
Posted by: andy

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 19:45

Though the varying post counts doesn't seem to happen every time I switch machine.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 19:47

I think it works fine if you log out and back in every time you start using a new computer. At least that's what worked on the old BBS and seems to be continuing to work for me.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 19:55

I had no problem with new post count on the old BBS. I used it from 3 or 4 computer without re-logging each time and the new post count were always right.
I'll try relogging at job in a couple hours and see if it works.
Posted by: Phoenix42

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 20:57

Not a bug, but the link from riocar.org point to the old forum.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 21:29

Soon, he's going to fix it so that the old forum addresses redirect here, so that old links don't even need to change. He just hasn't gotten that far yet.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 21:43

I reported this in an earlier post, but I'm posting it again because I noticed it again and I think it deserves a special highlight.

When you are browsing inside a forum, and you read a given post/thread and/or you reply to a given post, the top of the screen is supposed to tell you which forum you're posting to. For example:
Reply to General >> Off Topic

But it seems that whatever database field storing these values is still using the old BBS's names for these forums. So today, when I was looking inside the Empeg Car section in the Technical / Troubleshooting forum, instead of saying
Empeg Car >> Technical / Troubleshooting
as expected, it says
General >> Technical / Troubleshooting

Any idea how to fix this?
Posted by: time

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/06/2004 22:09

Thanks for the change! All the new functionality is great!

One thing I've noticed is when viewing Active Topics we're not told which category the post is from. The forum is specified, but not the category. This can be confusing as there are several "General" forums.

Things are looking really good. - 01/07/2004 00:06

No buts.

Edit: I did have to clear the cache, pages and cookies, in order to see all the new work.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 03:37

Quote:
Maybe it needs the http thingy on the front of it?

testing...

okay... what gives?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 03:39

I like how the number of new topics and threads is back, but I think it's much more readable the way it was before with the number in parentheses underneath the total number of posts, e.g.:

(2 new)

And I still don't like the yellow icons in the "Last Post" column of the main index. They're fine on the forum pages themselves, but I think they're ugly, distracting, and useless on the main page. Removing them would also leave room to print more of the last post's title, which gets truncated really bad.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 04:36

Quote:
okay... what gives?

Maybe it needs to all be one line?

-Mike
Posted by: Daria

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 11:30

From the search page you (can) get a list of posts and people. Green people are green but red people aren't red. Very easy to notice, tfabris isn't red anymore.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 13:17

Quote:
Quote:
okay... what gives?

Maybe it needs to all be one line?

-Mike

It is one line. weird.

Ahh... looks like someone fixed it for me... heh. Thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 19:11

It would appear that the question mark icons on the front page are intended to link to some sort of information (about the category, maybe?), but, in fact, don't link anywhere. They're just extraneous icons. FWIW. I don't really care that they're there, but....

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 01/07/2004 19:14

Oh, and even more minor: the popups containing alt attributes for the expand icons say "Expand5 forum(s)" instead of "Expand 5 forum(s)". This could easily be FireFox-specific. It could even be a FireFox bug. It's just treating the newline after "Expand" as nothing instead of whitespace. Actually, it's a different bug everywhere. No space on Firefox under Solaris. An unprintable character under Firefox Windows, and a newline under IE. None are right.

(And I'll not mention the laziness involved in dynamically generating "5", but then using "forum(s)".)

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 02/07/2004 15:39

Quote:
Also, I have had a hard time logging in from my home computer, twice now I have hit the "login" button and it just beings me back to the main page and would not allow me to log in. Restarting the browser (Firefox 0.8) fixed it; I think it might be related to cookies. Of course, I have now set the "remember me" checkbox, so that point is probably moot now.

Ok, this problem is getting to the very annoying levels now. I go home, it has logged me out and will not let me log back in...I go to work, and the same thing. I have to restart the browser to get back in, or clear my cookies for this site.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 02/07/2004 16:21

Change request: Please change the default search date range to something higher than 1 week. I'd even be happy if it searched all messages (regardless of age) like the old search used to do. Chances are if something was posted less than a week ago, it's pretty easy to find on the forum pages. If the date range must be kept, I think 1 year would be a more sensible limit.
Posted by: skibum

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 02/07/2004 18:35

The link to the forums on www.rio.org points to the old site still.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 02/07/2004 18:48

I think you mean the link on www.riocar.org . This was already reported, and the response is the same: The old forums will soon be reprogrammed as translating redirectors so all old links (including hundreds in the FAQ and thousands within this forum itself) will begin working again.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/07/2004 02:48

I just noticed something (but don't have the physical strength to determine if it's been posted here or not).

When someone updates their avitar, it changes it in all the posts they ever made. Unlike the previous BBS functionality where (somehow) old posts maintained the avitar that was current at the time of posting. Seeing a new post by skunknumber1 and checking one of his old ones made me notice that it changed.

That always made it fun to look back on old posts and see Gauntlet pgrzelak, or Dragon drakino, or Purple-hair genixia, or Over-the-shoulder tfabris, etc etc. Just a "would be nice" thing, since this is the only forum I know of that does it.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/07/2004 04:43

the information for each poster at the time of posting is no longer stored in the database for every post. this saves space in the database and is not a bug. i dont think that there are any plans to change it back to the way that it was.
Posted by: ricin

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/07/2004 05:42

It's avatar, by the way.
Posted by: burdell1

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/07/2004 13:08

I haven't read this whole post, but I cannot get the search to work....I even typed 'empeg' (just to test it) and it found no matches.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/07/2004 16:30

I've used the search successfully. I'm guessing that your problem is that you've left the date restriction on the default of since one week ago. You'd probably also left it searching only one forum. Regardless, it definitely works.

Re: Minor glitch - Jump To - 05/07/2004 02:33

Quote:
A request - the "Jump To" bar at the bottom of the page does not have the forums and items listed in the same order as the Main Index. Can this be adjusted to match?

Fixed. Went in, thwacked the categories by hand, and watched the front page all of a sudden break. The manual rebuild seems to have fixed it, and the issue Tony F. saw at the top where it says he was in general when he was really in Rio Reciever or something.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 05/07/2004 02:38

Quote:
One thing I do miss is the "Last 24 hours", "Last 7 days" etc quick-links. I have found the Active Topics for the last 24 hours, which is nice, but I can't do the others. The search engine lets me specify 2 or 7 days but won't let me search with blank search terms.

Just in case you missed it, the last 24, 48 and 7 days are now at the bottom of the front page.

The SQL error, seems to be a temporary thing. All SQL errors after you posted that one have been logged, and will be looked at to see if it can be fixed.

Re: Minor glitch - Jump To - 05/07/2004 04:24

Thanks, Tom, you da man.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 05/07/2004 12:52

Quote:
Post those bugs or feedback reports here.

I just noticed this: the timezone on the server appears to be set to UTC, which means that I had to edit my time adjustment from +5 hours to +1 hour.

Not a problem, but if it's a deliberate change then others might want to check that they're seeing the correct time. It's at the bottom of the main index page.
Posted by: tman

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 05/07/2004 12:59

Yeah. The server time is now set to UTC.
Posted by: tms13

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 06/07/2004 09:10

I like the "Jump to first unread post" feature. This means rarely having to use a mouse to navigate the board. It's still not as convenient as reading email, with just one thumb on the space-bar, but it's still better than having to take a hand off the keyboard entirely.

I like the swapping of Next and Previous to the more logical way. I normally view the subject list newest first (the opposite way around to mail), but I still read the oldest thread first. Which means that Next is the link I usually want, which is more consistent with everything else.

I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced of that ugly dark green colour for links (it's hard to distinguish between visited and unvisited ones), but perhaps I'll grow to like it.

I do miss having all the styles available in the browser's "Use Style" menu - any chance of reinstating this?

Also, it might make sense for all the Javascript things under the "Post" entry field to be written by Javascript so that they don't waste space for the rest of us.

Generally, though - Well Done!
Posted by: lectric

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 08/07/2004 13:20

I for one, LOVE the new posts being highlighted in the background. Very nice.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 12:51

I don't know if this is a bug but I've never seen this before.
After reading all unread posts and used the "index" button at the bottom of the thread, I still showed the Last unread post icon and (this is weired) a "0" unread posts after the number of replies on the thread.

Posted by: djc

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:12

It appears that a reply was posted to that thread, and later deleted. That might account for it being flagged as "new", but with 0 unread replies.

--Dan.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:28

Either I'm going crazy, or the thread I started yesterday about 500 errors on our web server has disappeared from the list of threads in the forum. If I do search for it then it shows up, but not if I just browse the forums... Bug??

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:38

ok, actually the bug is a little bit different. I had my thread preferences set to display 10 posts per page. My 500 error post just happened to be the 10th post (not counting the sticky post) at the time. So, as long as I had my preferences set to 10 posts displayed, it wouldn't show up on any page. If I bumped that number up, then it would show up.

After playing with it more, I discovered that no matter what my preferences were set to, 10, 20, 30... any post that was in a position that was a miltiple of that number was not displayed. So set to 10, every 10th post (not including the sticky post) in the forum was not displayed. same for 20, 30, etc... For example: When # of posts per page is set to 10, the first post on the second page under the sticky post should be "Web log analyzer for 500 errors". And the first post on the third page under the sticky should be "Hugo's other audio business?" and on and on. But none of those posts are actually even there.

I think it must have something to do with the way the sticky post is implemented. After the first page, it's somehow taking the place of the real first post for each subsequent page.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:39

known bug. this is a bug in UBB.threads and tman was going to submit a bug report
you can blame me, as i caused it
if this bothers you you can go to 'My Home' and click 'Mark all read' or click here
**Warning** Clicking the above link will (should?) reset ALL threads to a read status

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:40

i believe Bitt had mentioned this before. i dont recall what was done about it, though.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:46

Quote:
i believe Bitt had mentioned this before. i dont recall what was done about it, though.

Apparently noting, yet.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/07/2004 14:47

Thanks but after I deleted my cookies from the maintenance options in "my home" page. It reset to normal.

Thanks for the info.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 18:59

I'm probably missing the obvious... but how does one set all posts as read? If for instance i don't want to read a certain thread and don't want to see it highlighted anymore.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 19:03

In your "My Home", there is a link on the bottom of the page for "Mark All As Read".

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 19:08

Otherwise I just keep one hand on the keyboard's alt and left keys, then go through the threads I'm not interested in. It helps clear up which threads are left that you do want to read.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 19:58

Thanks Paul. Hrm. Could we get that link at the bottom of the thread list pages? Would make more sense.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 20:16

per my post only 4 posts above yours
link

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 21:32

i deserved that tongue. I'll be in the corner if anyone needs me.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/07/2004 21:45

BUG: There's no link to the new alphas.
Posted by: oliver

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 13/07/2004 02:54

I’m not sure if this has already been covered, but every time I visit the site, it gives me the (#) thing next to the post with how many new replies from my last visit. But, when I click on the topic, I’m always at the top (first post), it doesn't put me right at the last post I read anymore. Is this a known issue with the latest version?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 13/07/2004 03:34

That has been mentioned. It's not a bug. If you click on the thread title, you'll be brought to the first post in the thread (not sure how usefull that is). If you click on the icon to the left of the thread title, it will take you to the first new post in the thread. Alternately, there's a link at the start of a thread with new posts which will take you to the first new post in the thread as well.

Frankly, I like this better. I like having the choice. Besides, clicking on a multi-page thread like this one on the old board never took me to the first new post.
Posted by: oliver

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 13/07/2004 04:28

Nice! I totally missed the little icon thing. Thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 13/07/2004 13:33

Quote:
Frankly, I like this better. I like having the choice.

You always had the choice of clicking a page number and hence getting to the first post. It was more user friendly the other way.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 13/07/2004 22:52

The old board worked for muilt page posts for me. I like the old way better but at least we have some way to go the first unread post still.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 15/07/2004 00:58

I'm not sure if this was posted and, haha, it's directly related to my inability to *check* if it was posted:

I'm having a hard time with Search. It finds the search terms not only when used together in a single post, but when used throughout an entire thread.

Trying to find the exact length (and part number) of the hard drive screws by searching for [drive screw size] returned me tons of threads that happened to mention these three common words throughout the course of all the posts.

My only other search option seems to be throw quotes around the terms, but that would search for the exact phrase, which is too far on the other extreme.

Is there a way to coax Search to return results where the search string appears in a single post? Thanks.

(oh, and as I logged in to post this, I found my unread post history was wiped; showing no unread posts when I intentionally left some (projects, off topic, karma general) unread.)

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 15/07/2004 02:49

Quote:
Quote:
Frankly, I like this better. I like having the choice.

You always had the choice of clicking a page number and hence getting to the first post. It was more user friendly the other way.

That's not what I was talking about. I meant in general, you didn't have a choice whether or not to skip to the first unread post. I wasn't talking about just multi-page threads.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 15/07/2004 03:25

Advanced Search Tips

Use +keyword for required keywords.
Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase. Use spaces around the word to match the exact word. Example " word "

from the link titled Advanced search tips on the search page
a search for '+drive +screw +size' yields not exactly what you asked for, but very close

as for the other issue, maybe try staying logged in?

Active topics page - 15/07/2004 22:53

The links on the active topic page go to the first post only. No yellow arrow to jump to the first new post.
Posted by: mlord

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 16/07/2004 14:14

Lots of stuff I don't like about the new boards (empeg stuff not at top, multi-line nonsense in forum views, etc..).

But is is FAST! which makes up for everything else.

Thanks!
Posted by: mwest

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 16/07/2004 18:28

It is fast... my only complaint (and tell me if I'm just missing something) is that the flashing envelope isn't showing up on the main page when I have a pm...

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 16/07/2004 18:31

Quote:
my only complaint (and tell me if I'm just missing something) is that the flashing envelope isn't showing up on the main page when I have a pm...

I've never had that problem at all. I wonder why some people have the problem and others don't?
Posted by: mlord

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 16/07/2004 20:09

Yup, same it. It blinks once on page load and then vanishes.

Perhaps the animation simply needs to end with a non-blank frame..

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 22/07/2004 01:34

Just looked at a thread in threaded mode. Saw the moderator and admin flags tied to the relevant poster names. Least I assume that's what the A's and M's stand for. I could be wrong.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 23/07/2004 16:44

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, this problem is getting to the very annoying levels now. I go home, it has logged me out and will not let me log back in...I go to work, and the same thing. I have to restart the browser to get back in, or clear my cookies for this site.

Any luck finding this issue? I have figured out which cookie it is "ebw3t_myid" Clearing this cookie let's me log back in again.

Re: Active topics page - 24/07/2004 02:53

Quote:
The links on the active topic page go to the first post only. No yellow arrow to jump to the first new post.

Since the prior post the arrows started showing up. Worked sweet. Now they are gone again.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/07/2004 12:30

I'm sure someone already asked this and I missed it, but how can I subscribe to an indvidual thread so I am notified by e-mail?
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 30/07/2004 13:49

IIRC you need to set it [the thread] as a favorite... There's a checkbox on the Reply To page that let's you set this for the thread. Plus a setting in your profile to receive mails for favorite threads.

Re: Active topics page - 31/07/2004 00:37

Ok, I think I see how it works now. Just don't ever log off.

Re: Active topics page - 31/07/2004 15:22

hmmm....and I will be e-mailed for just this particular thread?
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/08/2004 02:39

Quote:
The attachment link no longer links directly to the attachment. It's a download script. Now we have to click on it then copy the URL. It's an extra step or two that's a bit annoying, but oh well.

Now that I've run into this, it would be cool to have an "Instant UBB Code" that somehow transformed into the url for the attachment for the post. That way, I could just do something like "[image]attachment[/image]", and not even have to look up the URL -- it'll just be filled in automatically when I add the attachment.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 03/08/2004 02:58

That is a great idea. It's always been a bit tedious to attatch, post, edit, and post again. Although I would imagine that it would be difficult to deal with different file types.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback: Over-zealous censoring - 03/08/2004 05:24

The phrase "Seriously, if it's that full of sh*t" (obviously with the word spelt properly) gets entirely replaced with [censored], which isn't a lot of use.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 17:19

Heads up!

I went to login and while on the login page, I inserted an "s" into the url making it https://...

After hitting return I was presented a warning with choice of accepting a certificate that was not from empegbbs but rathar some place called dormduffel. If that cert. is accepted you are taken to a sales page for www.dormduffel.com .

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 17:22

Tom's sharing the BBS's IP address with other web sites. HTTPS has no way of figuring out which site you're interested in, so there can be only one such site per IP address. I guess that's the one that's on this machine.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 18:49

Yep, Dorm Duffle was Vito's attempt at a really neat idea, that unfortunatly failed this year for him. If anyone has any marketing ideas for him, PM "Vito" here on the boards. He may try it again if he can get a better response.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 19:10

i have a dumb question...how to i 'unsubscribe' to a thread? I looked on my favorites on the home page, but couldn't see the one I wanted to unsubscribe to on it....

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 19:33

There's a link, "Favorite Topic! (toggle)" at the bottom left of each thread. Click it on the one you want to get rid of.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 04/08/2004 19:47

Thanks!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 07/08/2004 15:33

Since the news is out about Carbon, isn't it time to start a forum for it?
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 07/08/2004 15:41

Or expand Karma to be "Rio HD Portables" ?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 08/08/2004 17:10

What's with the ad on the main forum listing?

*edit*
Oops, just saw the thread in the General forum. I assumed it would be posted to this thread
Posted by: andym

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 09/08/2004 06:36

The PM notification is still broken for me.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 00:06

Errr I'm getting weird behaviour with search results, i.e. posts with no text.. Anyone else see this?, check attached pic

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 00:08

Get this error on top of the page with affected posts... see attached.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 01:04

very strange. can you post the url that you are trying to navigate to? i cant quite see all of it.
i did a search that returned that thread and was able to read it fine. which search terms did you use?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 01:21

well I did a search for "pcats tuner" searching for posts that are older than 1.5 years, show 100 posts per page... which shows that thread fine..

then I did a seach for http://www.pcats.co.uk, since I could'nt get to the site, just seeing if anyone else had problems, and saw that thread come up, thats when it didn't show it properly... the link in pic is http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/showflat....true#Post139569

anyway it seems to happen when searching for URL's with the "/" in it or other characters i.e. "~"

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 02:00

Might be a security feature in the BBS code somewhere that strips potentially-malicious characters out of query strings.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 12/08/2004 02:56

I see it too.Take "&Words=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcats.co.uk%2F" out of the URL and the page is fine. Furthermore, include "&words=www.pcats.co.uk" and it still loads fine. I suggest dropping the "http://" and trailing slash from URLs when searching for them. I'm guessing that the code that mangles the slashes is screwing the database query up somehow.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 15/08/2004 19:06

hey where'd the link to "jump to first unread post" go? It's missing for me, was there last week..

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 25/08/2004 10:52

If I'm logged in, the "hard disk opinions" thread by dignan17 in the off topic forum isn't displayed for me. If I log out, I can see it just fine. Of course, this does mean that I can't replie to the thread anymore. Why is this???

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 25/08/2004 12:44

If it were to show up, would it be the first thread on the second page? People have reported before that the sticky thread seems to obscure the first thread on each page except the first. If that's the case, change the number of threads on a page and see if you can see it. Of course, that probably means you'd be obscuring another one.

In any case, here's a link to that thread.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 25/08/2004 15:14

No, it wasn't the first thread on the second page. After logging out, I saw that it was halfway on the first page.
I have no idea what is causing this. Very strange. If this wasn't a thread I responded to I wouldn't even have known.

Edit : it just showed up. On the second page no less! Maybe this was the bug after all!
Posted by: bonzi

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 28/08/2004 11:26

Quote:
I don't seem to be getting emails sent to me when somebody replies to one of my posts. It used to work before the upgrade. Anybody else getting this?

Bump!

Wow, what a nitpicking, perfectionist, opinionated, and hard to please crowd we are!

First of all, congratulations for the fairly painless (for users) transition to the new board and thanks for the effort are due to Drakino and all who helped him!

The new board takes some time to get used to, but I think that advantages clearly outweight drawbacks. Thanks again!

Now, my 0.12 HRK: I also miss 'email replies to your posts' feature (but like 'email posts in your favourite threads' one). Is it possible to get it back (or is it there and I don't see how to swithch it on again)?

Cheers!

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/08/2004 15:45

Not to call attention to myself, but the birthday notification thing at the bottom of the main index isn't working.

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/08/2004 16:37

Happy Birthday! Could it be a time zone / offset thing?

Re: New board bug reports/feedback - 29/08/2004 18:28

Nope, as there is currently a birthday cake appearing next to my post: