FreePlay Plus

Posted by: lectric

FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 01:35

I must say that the FreePlay is a really cool piece of kit. I wound it once for 60 turns (about 30 seconds) and it's played for over 4 hours as well as had the light on for over 24. Very impressive.
Posted by: robricc

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 01:51

I have one too. It's cool but pretty overpriced. I decided to buy it after that blackout last year.

Shortwave is a neat feature.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 02:13

Interesting idea. Don't really see the purpose, though...

I mean, if things on this planet ever get so bad that I can't buy batteries for a portable radio, then I doubt there will be any radio stations to listen to, either...

I suppose if one traveled to places where batteries were not easily purchased, such as the middle of the jungle or something, it might be useful. But not for folks like us who get the DT's when we're away from our net connections for more than a weekend...
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 02:29

Hmm. Maybe for when we lose power and all the stores are closed due to ... what could possibly be going on these days? Oh yeah! Hurricanes!

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 03:13

I guess I'm just the kind of guy who likes to stay stocked up on batteries anyway.
Posted by: g_attrill

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 08:03

It was developed for educating people about AIDS in Africa, where radios are popular but batteries are expensive.

Invented by Trevor Baylis, he orignally set up production in Africa after many knockbacks:
http://www.cityspeakersinternational.co.uk/TrevorBaylisOBE.htm

Bayliss Brands, his inventor's help company:
http://tbf.websfor.org/tbb/home/home.asp

Gareth

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 10:54

I like it because I suck at remembering batteries and end up with 4 dead flashlights. I'm so bad I sometimes have to steal batteries from one remote to use another. Besides, living in New Orleans batteries aren't always in the stores come hurricane time.
Posted by: mlord

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 12:36

I think a large part of the point is that it does not pollute our planet with dead batteries every few weeks of non-AC use.

Cheers
Posted by: loren

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 14:22

I was just about to say what Mark did... there's a much larger point. Why waste batteries when you don't have to?

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 14:23

All good points. Based on what it was invented for- use in undeveloped sections of Africa- it makes a lot more sense.
Posted by: lastdan

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 15:07

It would be great if they offered just the hand crank / battery as a kit to run/charge PDAs, cell phones, and what-nots.
Posted by: Dignan

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 15:15

Something like this? I think there are a few devices out there for that.

If the FreePlay Plus is that efficient in power use, then I'm interested, and not suprised by its cost. I have a Grundig model like this one. and for 60 turns I can probably only get about 15 minutes.

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 15:28

The Freeplay Plus doesn't run off the generator. The crank charges an internal battery which then powers the radio. Solar cells on top of the freeplay also charge the battery. But only when you turn the freeplay on while in sunlight without the generator turning. Something wacky like that.
Posted by: ashmoore

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 15:45

or better still....
http://www.freeplay.net/website/product/freecharge.php

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 18:55

Close, the solar cells wil charge the battery even if it's off AND even if the crank is turning. If it's recieving more energy than it's using, it dumps to the battery. (at least, according to the manual)
Posted by: tonyc

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 18:58

Now we just need big-ass cranks for our cars and we can end our dependence on foreign oil once and for all.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 19:38

Who cares about radio anyway. This thing should have a hard drive in it playing MP3s. Or an outlet on it so you can run whatever you want from its rechargeable battery.

Bruno

Re: FreePlay Plus - 02/09/2004 21:29

I read the same manual and got a totally different impression on how it works. Oh well.

Re: FreePlay Plus - 03/09/2004 12:12

Quote:
"When placed in direct sunlight the radio will run exclusively from solar power. If solar contribution is sufficient the battery will be charged while playing. The solar panel can also be used solely as a charging facility while the radio is not in use by exposing the solar panel to sunlight."

The second sentence does it for me.