Posted by: tfabris

Media of the day - 15/10/2004 21:55

http://www.piratesandemperors.com/
Posted by: visuvius

Re: Media of the day - 15/10/2004 22:59

wow. that was really well done.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:04

That's the most ignorant thing I've ever seen. So, let me get this straight, by pointing out loose similarities between two actions that you (the creator) deem wrong, nobody is allowed to call the later instance wrong? So, forgetting about the spread of Communism (there's no point in even trying to convince the creator of this that Communism is a bad thing based on the examples they give), we are to assume that Terrorism against the US is okay because funding the Contras was wrong? Trying to counter Iran, who had just previously engaged in kidnappings of Americans a few years prior and had declared the United States a sworn enemy was wrong because the US chose to enlist Saddam to do it?

Justifying a "wrong" by pointing to another "wrong" is never a strong argument.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:10

No, you've got it backwards. They're pointing out that the US is doing the same wrong things that it is accusing other people of doing.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:31

No, they have it backwards. They are pointing to something that America did nearly two decades ago and are trying to say that it is one and the same as the acts carried out by Islamic Fundamentalist Terrorists without in any way trying to point out the glaring differences in them. And by doing so, they are trying to put America on the same moral and ethical level as these terrorists.

This is beyond the typical, liberal, anti-Americanism that is the status-quo. This is sickening.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:42

Let's see. The Islamic Terrorists have this twisted notion that they're defending themselves from encroaching Western devils. The US had this twisted notion that it was defending itself from the godless Communist heathens. What, exactly, is the difference?

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:46

Are you honestly putting America on the same moral ground as Islamofascist Terrorists?
Posted by: genixia

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:52

Islamofascist? Can you explain what that means?
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:55

Quote:
his is beyond the typical, liberal, anti-Americanism that is the status-quo. This is sickening.

Brad, by resorting to this "typical, liberal, anti-Americanism" canard, you really undermine any argument you might want to make.

It reminds me of a radio interview I heard a few weeks back about a new conservative film festival in Texas where one of the principals uttered something about liberals and how "we want to show movies by 'real Americans' ". Sooooo, let me get this straight: George McGovern, the ultimate liberal, decorated WW2 B-24 pilot -- who risked his life so that we could engage in unfettered name-calling without getting thrown into jail -- isn't a "Real" American. In fact, he is probably *Anti* American!! How typical!

Y'know, he is probably too nice a guy to take offense.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 00:57

In those particular instances, yes. The US had the same kneejerk reaction to Communism as the Islamic terrorists have to Western "incursion". Neither one was without basis, but neither one examined any circumstances surrounding, well, pretty much anything. Excepting China, the one Communist place the US definitely should have stayed adversarial to.

Although I'm gonna have to agree with genixia on the "Islamofascist" thing.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 01:20

The term Islamofascists refers to those who claim to be Muslims but are considered by their opponents as fascists with Islamic background, e.g. those often called Islamic extremists or fundamentalists in the West.

Although, looking more into it, I see that some people (on both sides of the political spectrum) misinterpret this term to draw a direct connection between Islam and Fascism, which is not the case and was not intended by my use of the word. So, to avoid being misunderstood on that, I don't plan on using that term anymore (I also found that some Muslims take offense to it).

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 01:28

Well, the intent of the charming video is clearly to put down America. No question about that. So I standby calling it Anti-American. In calling it "typically liberal," I guess that was going too far because there are plenty of people who are liberal, but in fact only seem to hate part of America , so lumping all liberals into the "Anti-American" crowd went too far in the same way as the Islamofascist term, but in this usuage I clearly meant it (and since retract it).

Islamofascist referred to a specific movement and not to Islam as a whole. My comment towards liberals was purely an emotional reaction based on some of Michael Moore's recent and brilliant quotes and writings that have sent me through the roof. Telling a group of Canadians that the dumbest Canadian is smarter than the smartest American (and the same thing to a U.K. crowd) or saying that America deserved 9/11 is inexcusable. And this "well done" video is clearly from the same mindset.

EDIT: Fixed a typo before db jumps in.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 01:42

Quote:
n those particular instances, yes. The US had the same kneejerk reaction to Communism as the Islamic terrorists have to Western "incursion".

I guess we're going to have to disagree on this one. This is a fundamental way of looking at the world, so I can't really see either one of us changing the other's opinion on this. I would certainly never view promoting freedom and democracy as a "knee jerk" reaction. Communism was a serious threat to the world. And maybe I've missed a few New York Times editorials lately, but I was never under the impression that the goal of destroying an entire society and its people was on par with taking covert and illegal activities to protect the freedom and liberty of an entire continent.

Was it wrong for America to engage in an illegal war in South America? Yes. (Was the Boland Amendment wrong? Yes, but that's another story.) However, that does not equate the evil that we face today with Islamic terrorism.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 02:11

Quote:
I would certainly never view promoting freedom and democracy as a "knee jerk" reaction. Communism was a serious threat to the world. And maybe I've missed a few New York Times editorials lately, but I was never under the impression that the goal of destroying an entire society and its people was on par with taking covert and illegal activities to protect the freedom and liberty of an entire continent.

I have to say that I have heard so much about "Freedom and Democracy" lately that it has become almost a cliche, especially when you get the sense that it's some mutation of Big Brother that is chanting "Freedom and Democracy! Freedom and Democracy!" Beware slogans.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for freedom and democracy, the kind you find in the dictionary, but I fear that the definitions get a bit distorted in the hands of jingoist political movements.

In no way do I want to diminish the positive contributions of my Dad, my uncles, my Mother, my cousins and others in helping keep the world safe from several humorless, murderous "isms", but I have to look at some things and ask "What if?

What might the outcome have been if we (meaning the US of A):

Had decided not to step into the Indochinese shoes of the French but had actually followed FDR's professed post-war intent and had engaged Ho Chi Minh as a self-professed nationalist?

Decided that the Bay of Pigs might not be such a smart idea?

Decided that overthrowing Jacobo Arbenz was unethical?

Declined to kill Salvador Allende?

Concluded that the Contras were a bunch of murderous thugs of our own creation?

...and I think there are a few more examples that the attentive listener can add to this list.

So, if we stood back a little in some of these cases, would we all be living under the jackboot of Joe Stalin Junior now....or would the Statue of Liberty's torch be glowing maybe just a little bit brighter at this point?
Posted by: Daria

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 02:18

Quote:
EDIT: Fixed a typo before db jumps in.

Ye of little faith....
Posted by: kayakjazz

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 04:38

While in Ireland this summer I bought a book called "Why do People Hate America?" by Ziauddin Sardar and Merrill Davies, despite the relative cost of books abroad, because:

a) Like most Americans, I genuinely wondered why; I am, and most of those I know are, pretty nice folks...and

b)This may have been my 10th or 11th extended stay abroad, in places from east and south Africa to Iceland, and I'd never before encountered the level of Anti-American feeling rampant this summer, even in a country with which we usually have pretty close ties.

c)After seeing what was in the daily press in the UK and Ireland and more importantly, realizing what was NOT in ours, I wasn't sure I could get the book at all in the US. This was unfounded; it's available on Amazon.

Nothing I found in it was factually incorrect when I researched it, and it is not a rant; it's pretty well reasoned. When you complete it, however, you have no difficulty answering the question. Whether or not you agree with its thesis, it should be incumbent upon all of us to understand how we're viewed in the rest of the world. It is diametrically opposed to what we're taught in school America is supposed to be about. Even though I came of age in the 60's and had opposed Viet Nam, there was much there I had either been unaware of or had thought isolated instances. The mismatch between what most Americans think we're about and what our government has been up to, which is perceived as hypocrisy, rather than apathetic ignorance on our parts, is one of the principal reasons we're hated. I'd recommend the book as a generally braodening perspective.
Posted by: ninti

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 05:01

> Well, the intent of the charming video is clearly to put down America. No question about that. So I standby calling it Anti-American.

No, the intent of the video is to point out America's hypocricy. I mean who wants to be a hyopcrite? Alas, as much as I don't want to be a hypocrite, I am likely going to be angry at the person who points it out, because it is painful. I might use words like ignorant or think they hate me, and that anger would be understandable if I had never thought of myself as a hyopcrite before. I would hope though, that after the initial burst of anger, I might start to see that in fact, yes, I have been wrong and I have been blind to my own failings, and take some effort to fix them instead of merely being angry. But who knows.
Posted by: mcomb

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 06:19

Quote:
Well, the intent of the charming video is clearly to put down America

I really wish people would try harder to distinguish between America, Americans, and the U.S. Government. They aren't the same thing and there are plenty of us who are proud to be American but whom disagree with many actions of our government. I'm proud to be American because (among other reasons) I have the right to disagree with my government and speak openly about it. The video is obviously a propaganda piece (although one that I in some ways agree with), but its faulting our government not you or I personally.

This distinction is an important one as more and more foreigners seem to be developing an aversion to US politics.

-Mike
Posted by: mdavey

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 09:12

Quote:
This distinction is an important one as more and more foreigners seem to be developing an aversion to US politics.

Agreed. It is particularly important for Americans to realise that most Anti-American sentiment is actually Anti-America sentiment (where "America" represents the juxtaposition of American ideals/values vs the way that the American government and business behaves).

I did go on to discuss the burden of responsibility that comes with being the richest and most powerful nation, and the only superpower - and how every previous empire in history has failed to step up to the challenge - but the discussion has been done to death both here and elsewhere, so I deleted it.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 13:29

It is arguable whether this is the richest nation; It depends what you use as your benchmark.

I certainly don't disagree with the rest of the point.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 16:40

Quote:
I would certainly never view promoting freedom and democracy as a "knee jerk" reaction. Communism was a serious threat to the world.

To speak to this example of anti-Communism, Nicaragua had democratically elected a leftist government with Communist overtones. The Reagan administration was so scared of it, despite the fact that they had no ties with the Soviet Union and that it was democratically elected that they fomented revolution using the Contras, to whom, reports have it, the US suggested starting to strike civilian targets. Regardless of who told them to, they did and the US supported them in it.

There's no doubt that the Sandinistas were militant when they came to power, but they were fighting a ruthless government. After coming to power, they held democratic elections four years later in which many non-Sandinistas were elected to office. That's not to say that they were the best rulers ever, but they did much, much, better than one might expect out of a coup.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 18:51

kayakjazz, your perspective is interesting, yet I don't see how winning a popularity contest with the world can trump the security interests that we have as a nation. Sure, it'd be "nice" to have the world love us. It'd also be "nice" if foreign political leaders didn't cash in on this view of the USA to win support amoung voters. And while looking at the actions of the USA around the world during the last half century may give the impression that our policies are hypocritical, it is only because they lack the proper perspective. A read of that book would perhaps detail how little perspective there is to those that "Hate" America.
Posted by: music

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 19:04

For some reason, this instantly reminded me of the MadTV skit "The Reading Caboose." Did anyone else have this pop into their mind?

For those who haven't seen this, it is a parody of a children's reading show on public television. Except that the adults hosting the show continuously try to spread their politics to the children, or else teach them various conspiracy theories. Two I remember in particular are "the Clintons killed Vince Foster" and "the CIA killed Marilyn Monroe, here are the autopsy photos" -- just to pick both a conspiracy of the left and a conspiracy of the right, though the adults are depicted more as "flower children" stereotypes in general.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 19:37

Well, how about "the intend of the charming video is clearly to put down America by calling America a hypocrite." And to call this video anything less than ignorant wouldn't be right. I'm sorry it's a mean word. I wish I didn't have to use it.

There is no argument that the USA and Islamic Terrorists (or Saddam) are morally equal. This is so obvious, I really don't know where to begin in explaining it, and I hope I don't really have to, but: Terrorists aiming to destroy Western civilization and all infidels because they oppose Western involvement in the Middle East and Western culture as a whole does not hold the same weight as a government aiming to stop the spread of fascism and communism for the sake of freedom for those people and the greater good of the world. I am not saying that the USA is without blunders throughout the Cold War, but I'm not aware of any war yet that has been flawless. Just because the terrorists "think" they are as right as we do, doesn't not mean that the two are morally equal. I'm sure the Nazis working at death camps "thought" they were morally justified too. But hopefully, anyone reading this has the ability to see that Nazis and Islamic Terrorists are evil no matter how "right" they they think they are. And even the people out there that think that Communism is a neat idea (it just hasn't been done right yet), can see that America engaging in the Cold War to stop the spread of Communism and promote Democracy is a far more just cause than the two previous examples. I could go on, and I'm sure I'll be prompted to.

So, since the USA, with its involvement with the Contras (or whatever part of the video caught your fancy), is still more just in its cause, even if you disagree with the actions, than Islamic Terrorist who seek to kill all infidels, whether they be French, American or Canadian, until each and every one has been killed, the only way one can try to equate the USA and terrorists is to draw similarities between the actions of those terrorists and the Contras that the USA supported. (Sorry for the long winded sentence there.) This is a very weak argument.

If drawing loose similarities between actions, without allowing for perspective or moral intent, was enough to point out hypocrisy, I could make the following arguments:
  • Great Britain was a hypocrite for bombing Germany when they, at the same time, considered Germany's bombing of Britain as an aggressive act. (Don't allow for the fact that Germany was intent on conquering all of Europe and parts of Africa or any of the other, countless things about WWII Germany).
  • A police officer would be a hypocrite for shooting a man when he, in fact, considers shooting a person to be crime. (Don't allow for the fact that the man shot by the officer was in the act of attacking an innocent child with a knife.)

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 19:46

I agree that it is human nature to take attacks toward an institution that we support (whether it be our church, government, um... local ACLU chapter, etc) personally, and it's worth pointing out that these criticisms are not intended to be personal.

Yet, it's hard not to take personally criticisms of my government when I see it as acting to ensure the security of myself, my family, my community and my nation. Of course, the people making those attacks see my government as engaging in the exact opposite, so they might be surprised when it is taken personally as an emotional reaction.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 20:28

Quote:
yet I don't see how winning a popularity contest with the world can trup the security interests that we have as a nation

Can't you understand that these two ideas are inextricably linked? It's not a case of one vs the other - if you have popularity you can have security. If you don't, you cannot.

The USA loves to think of itself as 'Leader of the Free World'. It's time that those in power remembered that you only lead those who choose to follow. Sure, you can buy loyalty. But it comes at a cost, as evidenced by the deficit that Reagon built winning the Cold War throwing money and miltary aid towards any tinpot dictator perceived to be on the 'right' side. Once you can no longer afford to keep paying for that loyalty or choose not to because the need appears to have gone away, do you really expect that loyalty to continue?

It suited the USA to turn a blind eye during the '80s when Afghanistani Mujahdeen sold opium to fund their resistance to Soviet forces, just as it suited the USA to support Saddam in Iraq against the Iranian Ayatollah during the same period. Covert aid to the Mujahdeen is estimated to have been about $2.5 billion, and they somehow ended up with the latest US SAM hardware, just as Dr Germ was allowed access to classified information at Porton Down (yes, us Brits are complicit too).

Is really any shock that after fucking around with that part of the World so much that some people there don't like us very much?

Don't believe for a second the rhetoric that they don't like us for who we are. That is bull. Maybe a very small minority are fanatical, just as I know that trawling the state of Utah would turn up a few 'Christians' with similar but oppositely polarised viewpoints. The rest of them, the vast majority of the terrorists and insurgents hate us for what we have done, and what we continue to do.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 20:52

You're essentially arguing that the ends justify the means, and I can't buy into that philosophy.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 21:30

No, I intentially pointed out that, even if you disagree with the actions and consider them wrong, that still does not equate them to the terrorism directed at us.

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 22:21

Nor, do I think, the video (which, for the record, I thought was ... enh ... okay) intends to equate anything more than actions. But actions are important.
Posted by: number6

Re: Media of the day - 16/10/2004 22:42

Quote:

Justifying a "wrong" by pointing to another "wrong" is never a strong argument.

The "two wrongs don't make a right" argument is a two-way street.

It can be used to undermine the support for your position as effectively as it undermines the position of those you disagree with.

You also have to be careful when fighting for something you believe in, that your methods and tactics do not end up causing you [in others eyes] to become indistinguishable from your opponents. So that even if you "win", you will have lost more than you will have gained.

Lastly, this work points out ever so subtly, that those who "fail to learn from history" are, as predicted, "doomed to repeat it".

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 02:27

How the rest of the world perceives us is rather more than a popularity contest; if you leave aside the moral/ethical issues(I don't, but...), consider it a matter of pragmatism. The US is unable to do the job they set out to do in either Afghanistan or Iraq, despite the accumulating carnage on both sides---and our few allies are bailing rapidly. The flouishing opium trade in Afghanistan is in large part going to
fund world terrorism. Given that we can't--or lack the political will to--successfully conclude even these two fronts, what are we going to do about North Korea and Iran, both of whom were always more serious threats, if/when they erupt, just to name the two likeliest candidates? Our current pre-emptive war, badly executed,which the rest of the world views with increasing abhorrence, is unlikley to win us world support, especially as we seem bent on further alienating the world on so many fronts. The US took what was nearly universal support after 9/11 and squandered it (like the budget surplus) by initiating a war that had little to do with that event. And losing the"popularity contest" in this way is undoubtedly the best recruiting tool Al-Quaeda could have devised....all of which is a somewhat lengthy assertion that our standing in the world, which is based on our actions rather than our rhetoric, and our security within it are inseparable.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 03:29

Quote:
Well, how about "the intend of the charming video is clearly to put down America by calling America a hypocrite." And to call this video anything less than ignorant wouldn't be right. I'm sorry it's a mean word. I wish I didn't have to use it.

There is no argument that the USA and Islamic Terrorists (or Saddam) are morally equal.

We like to think terrorists kill basically indiscriminately, while our government targets only those who are trying to kill, subvert, subjugate, whatever. And to the extent that it's true, I agree with you. Certainly in some cases where it's not, there's even a legitimate case for a mistake being made, and there will even be talk of "acceptable losses", which whether you agree or not, certainly can be said in a case where you're going after someone in particular and not just killing any (westerner, american, person).

But then there's (things like) Abu Gharaib, which really is unjustified if we are what we claim to be, and *that* is the hypocrisy.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 14:23

Last I counted, I have about 8 people to respond to, and I'm trying to do this in order, but I thought I'd respond to this one first... I'm thinking I won't have a chance to keep up once Monday hits and people can post from work. I don't have internet at work, and my wife isn't too happy with me spending too much time on this instead of planning our next house, baby and various other stuff, but I'm trying!

Sure, Abu Gharaib is an example for the people that were involved in it. But it was an internal investigation that brought those horrors to light. The military itself, even it wasn't moving fast enough because it had a growing insurgency to deal with, condemned those actions and is punishing those involved. The argument has been made that policies set forth by the Pentagon and the administration "set an atmosphere" in which Abu Gharaib happened, but that is a far cry from it being policy, being accepted or being encouraged. I know the NYT would disagree with me, but that's another story. No one seems to mention that it was a fellow Army soldier who broke this story and reported it because he knew it was wrong.

I won't dare post some of the pictures I've seen, but perhaps you'd like me to email you some of the vicious crimes and mutilations that were carried out by Saddam. As bad as the actions were in those prisons, they are nowhere near the horrors suffered under the official policies of Saddam, so to compare them, and say they are equal is an insult to the people who were raped, maimed and brutalized by Saddam. I think they'd gladly stand on a box for hours at end in the nude if they could have their limbs back.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 14:31

Quote:
my wife isn't too happy with me spending too much time on this instead of planning our next house, baby and various other stuff

Congratulations! I hear that planning a baby can be lots of fun. Or is that part already done?

Quote:
perhaps you'd like me to email you some of the vicious crimes and mutilations that were carried out by Saddam

You mean the strongman the US put in power to avoid another Communist state?

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 14:52

Quote:
Congratulations! I hear that planning a baby can be lots of fun. Or is that part already done?

Not to give too much information, but "Phase 1" took less than a week... I got kinda cheated there! And thank you.

Quote:

Now we're back to South America right? I need to catch up on a few posts.. shouldn't have gotten ahead of myself like that.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 16:29

No. Saddam Hussein in Iraq.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 16:39

Quote:
Quote:

Now we're back to South America right?

No, I believe he's staying wholly whithin Iraq with that comment, though in this case, it wasn't Communism the US feared, but the possibility of an Islamic fundamentalist state like Iran. So they put Saddam into power. Let's face it, the US doesn't have a good track record when it comes to installing governments in other countries, and are completely willing to subvert democracy when it suits them.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 16:52

The Ba'ath party was helped into power in Iraq by the CIA based on it's anti-Communist policies and it's opposition to a more unified Arabic political presence. The CIA believed that the Iraqi government at the time had or was trying to gain Soviet ties.

Of course, that doesn't mention the CIA's support of Osama bin Laden in his fight against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 80s.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 17:25

I see grammar is often an underlying issue here, and "it's", unless it is the contraction for "it is", is common but egregious--just read any sentence with"it's" as "it is" to see how ridiculous it sounds. For those of us who've gotten fuzzy on our punctuation over the years, let me recommend "Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss...whoever would have thought a punctuation guide would hit the bestseller list in at least two countries?! The reason for that is: Its a hoot! Ranges from merely funny to absolutely hilarious...

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 17:39

Oops. Sorry. I'm cross about something else and typing too fast.

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 19:18

Wow, Bitten by a new poster. That's got to hurt...

Re: Media of the day - 17/10/2004 20:46

Yeah....
Posted by: tanstaafl.

Re: Media of the day - 18/10/2004 05:40

Yet, it's hard not to take personally criticisms of my government when I see it as acting to ensure the security of myself, my family, my community and my nation.

If you truly believe that perpetrating an unfounded war on Iraq that has now created at least two new generations of highly motivated terrorists is "...acting to ensure the security of myself, my family, my community and my nation..." I fear you are in for some very unpleasant surprises in the next few years.

I sincerely hope I am wrong about this, but...

tanstaafl.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Media of the day - 19/10/2004 02:29

Quote:
unfounded

And here, if you choose to give a rebuttal, "founded" does not mean "Saddam is a bad guy". It means that the original reasons for the war (WMD stockpiles, collusion with Al-Qaeda) were completely (and demonstrably, I might now add) false, and were known at the time they were presented, to be, if not false, at least highly questionable.