LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions??

Posted by: loren

LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 08/11/2004 22:16

Due to my current unemployed state, and a yearning to get my ass out of the couch divot, I've decided I'm hitting the road, in a couple of days, for about 3 weeks.

I went on a buying spree to prepare, and got myself a Garmin Quest for navigating, a Thule Cascade 1500 roof cargo box for my stuff, and a Shasta 15+ Sleeping Bag for sleeping wherever. I'm also trying to install a fan in the empeg before I take off to make sure I don't get any overheating when driving 11 hour days.

Here's the route so far:
SF to Salt Lake City where I'll meet up with the Ozone folks for some snowkiteboarding. I'll hang out there for a day and then probably ride their coat-tails to a SKB event in Vail, Colorado for a day or so. From there on to Boulder where I'll hang out with one of my high school buddies for a few days and do some snowboarding.

Then it's sort of nebulous but I'll make my way back home to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for a while, at least through Thanksgiving. Any ideas what I should do/see/visit on the way from Boulder to Baton Rouge? Where to stop and sleep?

While I'm in LA I plan on doing some exploring of the Atchafalaya basin with my step-father who works for the Nature Conservancy, and looking for some tattoo inspiration in the form of a cypress tree. I'll also spend some time in New Orleans with another good buddy of mine.

Then my younger brother and I will make our way back to San Francisco via the Southern route, stopping at every major skatepark we can find along the way, and he'll fly back home a week after we get back here.

SO!... Any tips? Stuff I should make sure I bring on a long road trip? Places I absolutely have to stop and see? Any and all suggestions are welcome! Matt (ithoughti), I was hoping you could chime in since you just did a long trip in your WRX =].
Posted by: kayakjazz

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 08/11/2004 23:17

Sigh...green with major envy! Have you seen Bryce and Zion, especially with snow?

I aways take either my Camelback or the bladder from it on long trips so I can sip whenever...on the kayaks, too!

And you're younger, but I rarely leave home without my Thermarest. Good for the decks of cars, friends' couchs or floors, or wherever...

Have fun...how could you not!
Posted by: cushman

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 08/11/2004 23:47

I can never find reliable coffee on the road, so (especially if I am camping) I press my own coffee with a coffee press and a backpacking stove. The Camelback and Thermarest are also great ideas. I usually also take a folding camp chair for rest areas where you want to sit by your car (hatch up, soobie style!).

Maybe you might want to put some books on tape on your Empeg, too.

Sounds like a rocking trip. Hope you have tons of fun!
Posted by: robricc

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 08/11/2004 23:49

I envy your trip as well. I really would like to a coast-to-coast drive sometime soon.
Posted by: tman

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 08/11/2004 23:57

No suggestions but that does sound like an amazing trip
Posted by: tfabris

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 00:47

Quote:
I went on a buying spree to prepare,

Hah, that's not a trip, just an excuse to buy gadgets.

Just kidding, sounds like a fantastic adventure, I hope you have a great time.

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 01:14

Hahah... so true though. All stuff i'd been wanting to get for a long time, but needed the excuse too. It's funny because sleeping bags ARE gadgets these days. They are so technical and there are so many options. =]
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 01:27

Sweet dude! As I just returned from my 27 day 10,160 mile road trip (the pic website for it is here: http://thelongdrive.photosite.com/ ) its in reverse order with the latest pics first.

I have a few suggestions/observations/somethinganothers:

1. Switch to Verizon Wireless. I have Cingular and my friend Jen has Verizon and she had far more consistant service than I did.

2. When driving through Texas miles from Wichita Falls, in the middle of the night when it is very windy and rainy and you see brake lights in the distance and tumbleweed blowing across the road -SLOW DOWN! I slowed to about 70mph but it was too late, a HUGE tumbleweed blew out in front of my car and I smashed into it. It shredded my left rear tire and I had to change it in the wind and rain with trucks zooming by my head in the pitch dark. Not a fun time. Oh and Wichita Falls doesn't have any tire stores that carry my stupid Rice Boy Khumo tires, so I had all of one choice for a tire in the right size, a Yokohama.

3. Make sure that your positive battery terminal is connected nice and tight and your battery is charging properly, so that when you blow a tire in the middle of nowhere Texas and you have the hazard lights on for a half hour while you change the tire, and you go to start the car it actually starts. Yeah, that wasn't too fun either, luckily Jen has Verizon so we could call AAA.

4. Get AAA

5. Seconded on the coffee thing. If you enjoy coffee, it is extremely difficult to find a good cup on the road.

6. I loved having my laptop with a wireless connection. It was great to download pics onto and keep in touch with friends/family. Not to mention it was good to be able to log into my email and delete all the spam I get.

7. My Empeg had no problems with overheating or anything, and I had it running for 15+ hours in a row several different times. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The laptop was also good to bring just in case you need to do something with the Empeg.

8. Don't know if bugs will be a problem this time of year or not, but in hind sight I would get one of those stoneguard clear bra things. I scraped so many bugs off my car.

9. Buy a Valentine 1. It saved my ass A LOT. It was fun driving across the plains at 110+ mph for hours on end, but it would not have been nice to get caught.

10. The WRX does _not_ get good gas mileage at 110+ mph. I suppose this is obvious, but it gets the best if you never go into boost. I would say cruising at about 3000rpm (just below boost) in 5th gear worked best for me as far a mileage, but man is that slow.

11. I'm assuming you've been to New Orleans, but just in case you haven't, Frenchman's Street was great for music and a more chill atmosphere.

12. Keep a travel log/diary. It's the only way to be able to remember everything you did and people you met.

13. more to come after I talk with Jen and get her insight...

Posted by: drakino

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 02:06

Well considering you will be in Boulder, you could take a trip down I-25 to Colorado Springs and I can show you around a bit. Depending on the weather, Pikes Peak may still be open (bring winter clothes for that). Guess it all depends on what you want to see. NORAD tours I think are out of the question, as the clearance usually takes at least a few month. Some ideas on stuff to do is here. Also, if interested I could give you a tour of my work, since you allowed me to see where you worked back in May.

Schedule has me available Tuesday-Friday right now with no fuss.

My couch is also open of you want to stay a night around here.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 02:27

All I have to say about that picture is . loren, enjoy the trip! ithoughti, that's really really humbling to see that photo. 10k miles in 27 days? That's like 5 months of commuting for me... wow. Why am I sitting here behind a desk when I could be driving around somewhere amazing?!

Oh yeah, and loren, if you switch to Verizon, get an old school StarTac. I was able to use my Verizon StarTac in the most remote, middle of nowhere Oregon and California by forcing it to Analog mode. Sure, it costs alot, but if you're in a jam, it's priceless. I don't know any other phones that you can force to analog, but make sure you have one.
Posted by: Cris

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 05:35

My top tip from my European Trip this summer would be to take a bottle of spray on Febreze with you (not sure if you have this stuff in the US).

Great for those moments when you have already worn every pair of pants inside out, and the town you are in is somewhat backwards and doesn't have a self service Laundy

Enjoy your trip, I'm thinking of doing a coast to coast trip in the Smart next year, let us know how you are gettin on.

Cheers

Cris.

Edit - Pants is the UK meaning, ie underwear
Posted by: andym

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 07:22

Quote:
I'm thinking of doing a coast to coast trip in the Smart next year

Scarborough to Blackpool?

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 14:21

Nah!!!! US Coast to Coast. Just started looking into how huch it would be to take the Smart over there and then bring it back.

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 14:27

Cris:

You'd certainly get lots of weird looks, if nothing else. I've yet to see a Smart in the Carolinas. You may want to consider renting a car...it'd probably be cheaper.

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 14:47

I have seen Smarts on US roads here and there, but still very rarely. The most recent sighting was on the Garden State Parkway. I know they're preparing to bring the fortwo to the US and I think dealers are already set up in Canada and Mexico.
Posted by: Roger

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 14:50

Quote:
You may want to consider renting a car...it'd probably be cheaper.

Yeah, but rental cars in the US are generally carp.
Posted by: mlord

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 17:36

Yup, we've got a sprinkling of Smart dealers here now -- SWMBO is getting a Smart for her birthday in the spring.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 17:39

nice! does she know?
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 17:53

Slightly off topic (for this thread), but does anyone have any suggestions/comments on renting a car for 3 days and driving from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (and anything else interesting along the way or near by)?? Including suggestions on places to stay at night, what else to do, what to bring, etc..

Thinking of doing this for a few days after CES (January) and before I have to fly from vegas to San Francisco for Macworld that week.

Bruno

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 17:59

I usually don't rent a car without checking this site first:
http://www.rentalcodes.com/

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 19:46

Quote:
nice! does she know?

Yup.. gotta get the right colours, ya know!

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 19:56

You mean they're not just snap-in faceplaces?

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 20:15

They are, but no sense in paying extra for the wrong initial colours!

Cheers
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 20:18

Quote:
They are

Oh, my. They are?

I was joking.
Posted by: matthew_k

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 20:22

A few sugesstions...

1) Sign up for a month's worth of unlimited gprs and get an inverter to power your laptop. Being able to surf (no matter how slowly... you can look out the window while pages load) really makes being a passenger go faster.

2) Full Size Spare - If it'll fit, it'll save you so much hassle should you get a flat.

3) Consider a bra for your vehicle. While they're hideous to look at, you're going to be doing so much driving in such a short time period it may be worth it.

4) Read about where you'll be. Remember books are free at a bookstore as long as you read them there while enjoying an overpriced beverage.

Matthew
Posted by: boxer

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 20:48

Quote:
I know they're preparing to bring the fortwo to the US

And what precise market did they design that heap of s**t for? The Smart, the sport: terrific, and then a bummer, it could be anything: Peugeot, renault, Skoda, Fiat, ford, Vauxhall - I have a suspicion that it was designed and built for the european hire car market. It looks nothing and it does nothing.

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 09/11/2004 21:11

Quote:
Cris:

You'd certainly get lots of weird looks, if nothing else. I've yet to see a Smart in the Carolinas. You may want to consider renting a car...it'd probably be cheaper.

I would only do it in a Smart, too easy otherwise Anyone can hire a Car and go driving, but in a Smart it is more of a challenge. I suppose I could just buy one here and sell it when I have finished with it on my trip, any one want a Smart with 10,000 miles on the clock at the end of next summer at a location in the US yet to be decided

And anyway, I'd get a kick out of showing you boys that bigger isn't always better

Cheers

Cris.
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 00:28

Loren - I have one suggestion, it's cynical, but I think worthwhile. Donate to your local Police/Fireman's Widows & Orphans fund and get a window sticker. Not only is it good to support your local departments, but I really feel that officers go a bit easier on you on the off chance that you stray a bit too far above the posted limits. Of course, it's probably too late now to do this, but maybe not.

-Zeke
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 01:12

Quote:
renting a car for 3 days and driving from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon (and anything else interesting along the way or near by)??

I've done that trip (in a sorry-ass rented Malibu, no less). Hmmm, actually, I think i went Fresno -->Death Valley --> LSV --> Grand Canyon --> LSV --> Fresno. I thought the canyon was great (and would like to spend some real time there some day) but there's a whole lot of nothing between there and Vegas. Bring your Empeg! I *did* stop at the Hoover Dam on the way back and took the high-priced tour (a hard-hat as a souvenir) and found that worthwhile.

I don't dislike desert, just didn't find that rocky expanse of Arizona interesting. I found Death Valley was much more to my taste. Next time, some better wheels.
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 03:19

Quote:
I was joking.

But it's quite cool. Saw a TV-shop where they visited some Swiss company that had jigs for holding the various panels, and giant "inkjet printers" (ie a set of airbrush heads) so that you can get any picture you want painted on your Smart. And software to properly wrap a picture onto the car.
Posted by: TigerJimmy

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 03:34

Sounds like a great trip. I've travelled all over by motorcycle and here are my thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. Don't drive on the freeway. Yes its fast, but its boring. Take US highways or state highways. Better driving and you run in to the coolest people and things.

2. Get a National Parks Pass for $50 and visit all of the National Parks and other US Department of Interior sites that are along the way. The annual pass has a list of all of the parks, which also include things you've never heard of before (had you heard of the National Maritime Museum in San Francisco? Maybe, but there is a *ton* of stuff like that. Little Bighorn National Battlefield was one of the high points on a recent trip of mine). I promise you this is well worth while. You can even get a National Parks "Passport", which is a little book that has places for you to make a rubber stamp imprint at each park you visit. There are stamps at all of the visitor centers. The stamps have a date and it is cool to flip through it and see when you were there.

3. US50 is a great way east through northern CA if you *enjoy* driving. Drive around Lake Tahoe while you're at it -- but I'm sure you've done that. It might be too far north for you, but US12 through the Clearwater National Forest in Idaho is a religious experience. The best roads are road that go through National Forests. These often have a green dotted line next to them on the map. Always drive theses "scenic roads" when you have the option.

4. Bring a fork, knife and spoon, and keep them handy.

5. The coffee idea mentioned by someone else is a MUST. There is simply no good coffee outside of a major city.

6. Take pictures of everyone you meet, preferably with you in the picture. Ask them about cool roads and out of the way areas. A cool guy once told me about the "Lost Coast Road", which was another high point. I'm really bummed that I don't have his picture. Remember, you won't get to meet cool people if all you do is fly along "the Slab" (which is what motorcyclists call the freeway). Drive through lots of small towns. People on a freeway are eager to get somewhere. They are harried and tired and unfriendly. You want to travel the roads that nobody travels on and meet those folks.

7. "Eat Your Way Across the USA" is a cool book.

8. Keep a journal.

9. GPS is fun, but it can be a lot more fun to get lost.

10. You want to eat in small town cafes, especially in the midwest. You can get yourself a home-cooked breakfast any time of day that will keep you going all day long for about $4. Here is how you find them (you should be at least 10 miles away from the nearest freeway when you attempt this technique): Pull in to town and drive around until you find the cafe with all the pickups parked in front of it. That's where the locals eat. You should eat there too.

11. You need to drink lots of water (that probably doesn't apply so much if you're in a car).

12. If you haven't done it yet, drive through Death Valley on the way back (a National Park, again).

13. Don't drive at night and don't drive tired. Don't drive at night because you don't get to see anything. Seeing the country is supposed to be what its all about! Don't drive tired because it is dangerous and everything you're looking for is already right there. There just isn't any need to hurry!

14. If you take my advice and drive on the squggily blue roads (the secondary roads that are blue on the maps), you are going to need a good map. Rand McNally has a good set of 3 maps: Eastern USA, Central USA, Western USA. They save you a lot of money if you just get those three. You probably don't need maps for each state. If you take the freeways you probably won't ever need a map. Just look at the map posted near the restroom at gas stations to see your next interchange.

There is so much to see! I feel stupid giving specific ideas on where to stop. My best advice is to stay off the freeways (did I mention that??? ) as soon as you are 3 hours from home and to not make any reservations or time commitments.
Make some BBS posts along the way so we can hear about your adventures!

Have a great trip!

Jim
Posted by: DLF

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 14:06

The scary thing is not the trip (I've been to those places on separate occasions over the years), but that your WRX looks almost exactly like mine. (Mine was special ordered w/o the spoiler.) Those are ProDrive wheels in anthracite, right, not just with massive brake dust?
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 22:56

TigerJimmy, that's some awesome advice. Now I've got this thread bookmarked.

Cris:
Quote:
any one want a Smart with 10,000 miles on the clock at the end of next summer

To park it in the trunk of my potential "no I'm not compensating" massive Buick, if the price is right, and US EPA regulations allow it; you've got my consideration. And if you need a place (or three) to crash in the NYC/NJ/Philly area, don't hesitate to PM me.
Posted by: Daria

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 10/11/2004 23:20

The EPA is much less likely to care than DOT/NHTSA; They certify safety, and emission mandates are going to be in favor of, not against, a SMART.
Posted by: ithoughti

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 01:09

Quote:
The scary thing is not the trip (I've been to those places on separate occasions over the years), but that your WRX looks almost exactly like mine. (Mine was special ordered w/o the spoiler.) Those are ProDrive wheels in anthracite, right, not just with massive brake dust?

Those wheels are Rota Tarmacs in anthracite, they look just like the Prodrive ones. I only wish I had the bank for those!

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 16:36

I just took my Prodrive's OFF for the trip. I'll be passing through plenty of snow and the summer tires would make it a little too much fun. Back to the stockers for me.

Thank everyone for the awesome tips, I'll post a longer reply when i'm done packing. I was supposed to leave this morning but the snow storm going through Truckee/Reno right now has me held back a day.
Posted by: Tim

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 16:41

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to enjoy yourself. Take your time to see things and just take in the environment.

Bryce Canyon is awesome and Zion is probably one of the coolest places on earth. Valley of the Gods is phenomenal and probably still one of my favorite places to go camping/hiking (we actually stay on the shore by Lake Powell). Arches is also awe-inspiring.

Don't rush yourself and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to leave the interstate and go toolin around in whatever state you find yourself in. Well, unless it is Nebraska or Kansas... you can skip those

- Tim
Posted by: eliceo

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 16:44

Are you going to be using the stock RE92s? I ask because I have been reading conflicting info on the subaru boards about how good/bad these tires are on snow and ice. I was thinking about getting another set of stock rims with snow tires for winter areas. If they are half decent I may not need to buy another set though.
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 16:46

One final recommendation: though it sounds silly, you probably should keep some kind of journal or diary of your trip. Who knows - you might want to look back at it some time in the future.

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 11/11/2004 16:56

Quote:
Are you going to be using the stock RE92s?

Yeap. I too have read many conflicting reports on them in the snow. I think it comes down to if you know how to drive in those conditions or not. But either way... they'll be 100 times better than my summer tires.

Re: LONG Road Trip!!! Suggestions?? - 12/11/2004 03:21

Quote:
Have you seen Bryce and Zion, especially with snow?

No, and I'm actually now starting to be pissed that I didn't plan the start of the trip better so I could make it through there. Hm. Mayb e on the way back...

Quote:
COFFEE

Luckily, I'm not a coffee junkie, so I don't have that to worry about =]

Quote:
Switch to Verizon Wireless. I have Cingular and my friend Jen has Verizon and she had far more consistant service than I did

Hrm. I'm hoping that with the ATT and Cingular merger I'll have decent coverage, but we'll see. Not paying that contract breakage fee just for the trip!

Quote:
Get AAA

I have roadside assistance with my insurance, which I just learned I've had for years while I've been paying for AAA all this time. Doh.

Quote:
I loved having my laptop with a wireless connection. / get GPRS for a month

Covered. I can dial up to SBC via bluetooth through my phone, at a whopping 9600 baud!

Quote:
The laptop was also good to bring just in case you need to do something with the Empeg

Ooooo... that reminded me to pack a crossover cable to use with my mac. Wait.... Mac's have autosensing ports don't they... n/m short cable will work.

Quote:
Don't know if bugs will be a problem this time of year or not, but in hind sight I would get one of those stoneguard clear bra things. I scraped so many bugs off my car

I'm hoping it'll be too cold to have to worry about it. That and my bumper is so hosed just from the bumper car parkers in the city that it won't do much more damage than is already done.

Quote:
Buy a Valentine 1

Did that shortly after getting the WRX =]

Quote:
Drakino: You could take a trip down I-25 to Colorado Springs and I can show you around a bit. Depending on the weather, Pikes Peak may still be open (bring winter clothes for that)

I might just take you up on that. It'll give me something to do after Boulder. We'll see how long I end up hanging around there. Thanks!

Quote:
Febreze

Good idea!

Quote:
Read about where you'll be

Done!

Quote:
1. Don't drive on the freeway

You know... I had the whole trip planned for freeway driving, but I think that after I leave Boulder I'm going to take your advice. That's what I really wanted to do anyhow... and I lost sight of that. Thanks for the reminder!

Quote:
Bring a fork, knife and spoon, and keep them handy.

Hadn't thought of that. Done.

Quote:
Take pictures of everyone you meet, preferably with you in the picture

Great Idea. I always take tons of pictures of people... but i'm usually sneaky about it which prevents me from actually talking to people... i'm sorta shy that way. I'll try and make a habit of your suggestion.

Quote:
Pull in to town and drive around until you find the cafe with all the pickups parked in front of it.

Brilliant.

Thanks to everyone. I'll be leaving early in the AM. I'll try and check in here, but if i don't i'll more than likely be posting a few updates on http://underachievers.com if you wanna click on through. See ya!