Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card?

Posted by: andym

Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 14:13

Since the burglars made off with my myth box I've been unable to record any TV stuff at a decent quality (ie Not VHS). Could somebody record Max and Paddy, Road to Nowhere on Channel 4 at half 9 for me tonight and let me download it?
Posted by: Cris

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 15:40

I can record it for you, but I have no way (apart from VHS) of getting it off the Tivo onto DVD, as the HD in the PC died last weekend and I'm having to use my crappy laptop.

Cheers

Cris.

BTW - What's wrong with just watching it, or is this for the archive.
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 15:41

My Tivo is set to record it. And I have a good capture card. I'll do it at some point.
Posted by: tman

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 15:44

I can post you a DVD-R of the TiVo stream if you want?
Posted by: andym

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 16:35

Quote:
BTW - What's wrong with just watching it, or is this for the archive.

I'm having real trouble staying up past 9 o'clock at the moment so I may miss it. I'm also hoping it's good so I may want to watch it again.

Quote:
I can post you a DVD-R of the TiVo stream if you want?

Sounds good, is it an MPEG2 stream?

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 12/11/2004 17:10

Quote:
Sounds good, is it an MPEG2 stream?

It's MPEG2 data but in a TiVo format. I can convert it to a standard MPEG2 stream if you want.
Posted by: simspos

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 13/11/2004 10:06

Quote:
It's MPEG2 data but in a TiVo format. I can convert it to a standard MPEG2 stream if you want.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do you convert the ty stream to standard MPEG2?

I have successfully extracted the ty file from my UK TiVo using tyStudio 0.5.0. After that I'm a little vague on what to do in order to create a DVD compliant file for burning.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Sim

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 13/11/2004 19:01

I use tytools and virtualdub to do it. There are guides available which show you the steps necessary.
Posted by: boxer

Re: Kind person in the UK with a Tivo/Capture Card? - 15/11/2004 07:14

Rats, I could have done that very easily with my digi-TV, which is getting increasingly good as a gizmo, with each upgrade, and now offers Linux developer.
Regrettably I was sipping a cup of tea and watching the sun go down over the Welsh coastline at the time you posted!