Attn: AVG users

Posted by: Dignan

Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 13:48

I was very happy yesterday to see that there's a new free version of AVG. Now you can use version 7 of their software for free, and you don't have to go through the annoying email registration process. They've also improved the look of the program.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 14:58

Also, they're stopping updates to virus definitions for the older version before too long. And the new one integrates with the security center thing in XPSP2.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 16:08

Ooo, thanks for this information, it comes just in the nick of time for a new PC I'm setting up.

Any chance that this version will update silently in the background as a service, instead of showing the program window?
Posted by: tonyc

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 16:39

Quote:
Any chance that this version will update silently in the background as a service, instead of showing the program window?

In the control center thingamabob there's a checkbox under the Update Manager properties for "show update status" or something like that.

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 16:52

Sweet.
Posted by: Roger

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 20:28

Quote:
Sweet.

Doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have to be logged in, though.

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 21:17

Yeah, it'd be nice to know the answer to that question before I install it...
Posted by: Dignan

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 22:30

Quote:
Also, they're stopping updates to virus definitions for the older version before too long. And the new one integrates with the security center thing in XPSP2.

Thanks for telling me. I don't have XP so I wasn't sure. I know that on every other person's machine that I've installed ver.6 on, after a while the SP2 security center thing will say that it's out of date, even if you've been updating. Maybe we have MS to thank for fixing flaws, therefore forcing Grisoft to give us their updated software for free

The biggest and best change in the program, however, is something I saw on the first machine I installed it on. With version 6, AVG would find a virus and let you know about it, telling you to run the program and remove it. Now it tells you about it, but gives you the option right there to heal, quarantine, or delete. Yes!
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: Attn: AVG users - 29/11/2004 22:59

Link.