Hollywood car driving skills

Posted by: DWallach

Hollywood car driving skills - 18/01/2005 23:41

My wife and just got back from a weekend getaway to New Orleans. For no apparent reason, they're filming The Dukes of Hazzard there, despite the fact that it's set in Georgia.

Their car staging lot was a block from our hotel. We got to watch them filming some chase scenes. I was particularly amused by this one car. The real driver is on the roof, controlling the car through hydraulics. The actors (Bo and Luke) are just sitting there. The back seat has a camera operator and one other person (director? producer?). Notice how everybody else is wearing helmets?

P.S. My Nikon is back from the factory and is now focusing properly. It arrived only a few hours before it would have been too late.
Posted by: loren

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 18/01/2005 23:57

It's the talk of the town in Baton Rouge as well. When I was back from the holidays I swear that movie came up at least 5 times a day. A friend of mine works at a body paint shop who got the contract to paint all the Gen. Lees. He said he's so sick of that orange color it makes him wanna puke. I think he mentioned something like 35... or was it 55... of them were being used. Hm. Wish I remembered for sure.

That is one hell of a driving rig. Nice shot.
Posted by: tfabris

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 00:47

I see this picture and I'm thinking, "Wait, didn't they already do that remake, and didn't it really suck?"

Then I realized that was Starsky and Hutch.
Posted by: DLF

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 03:19

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 03:20

That settles it; I *AM* getting the D70 kit. Is that w/the kit lens, Dan?

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 04:07

Yup, D70 kit lens, daylight shooting. The General Lee was actually sitting still at the time, so I probably took ten different shots just like this one until I was happy with the actors' expressions.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 04:09

I thought the exact same thing
Posted by: Cybjorg

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 11:11

Yeah, they used the "external driver" trick alot on The Bourne Supremacy, as well.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 12:06

What! Matt Damon can't drive like that?!?
Posted by: mlord

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 12:52

No, you're right. There was a Dukes of Hazard Reunion show, not that long ago.

Cheers

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 18:01

Sitting still for a while? Well now I'm not as impressed with the shot....
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 18:26

Quote:
I think he mentioned something like 35... or was it 55... of them were being used.

Well, thank goodness that Dodge Chargers are cheap and plentiful. Imagine the pickle they would be in if the Dukes had driven a Lambo!
Posted by: msaeger

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 19/01/2005 23:32

Or a gremlin.
Posted by: canuckInOR

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 21/01/2005 20:16

Impossible... notice all the daylight shots? You've forgotten rule #2.

Posted by: webroach

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 22/01/2005 03:04

Quote:
Impossible... notice all the daylight shots? You've forgotten rule #2.

LMAO!

Re: Hollywood car driving skills - 22/01/2005 13:19

Quote:
That settles it; I *AM* getting the D70 kit. Is that w/the kit lens, Dan?

Apparently, Nikon has dropped the prices on the D70 w/ the kit lens. You're now looking at $1000-1100 (versus $1300 when it was new). Here's a DPReview thread on the topic. Alternately, you could wait until February 20 to see what may or may not be announced at PMA. Pre-announcements are already happening.