Setting up Internet radio

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Setting up Internet radio - 25/01/2005 12:07

Ive been asked to look into Internet community radio through work and was just looking for ideas and suggestions for software and equipment. Initially it will just be streaming pre-recorded local content like unsigned local bands etc (looped) but we will want to look at live broadcasts too.

Is it best to use a dedicated PC and a cable connection? Or what about companies who will give us server space? Is that a better option as Im unsure how much (if any) free bandwidth i will have to play with.

So basically i need opinions on everything!

Thoughts appreciated.
Posted by: tman

Re: Setting up Internet radio - 25/01/2005 12:20

You really should get a server somewhere on a fast connection. Most home connections are asymmetric and have a terrible upstream speed in comparision. ADSL for example is only 256kbps in the UK which means you won't get many listeners off that.
Posted by: schofiel

Re: Setting up Internet radio - 25/01/2005 17:35

...plus you need to look at the costs of data traffic/month.
Posted by: RobotCaleb

Re: Setting up Internet radio - 25/01/2005 17:47

ive been running a 128k shoutcast stream to about 3 listeners for about 2 months now. monthly bandwidth usage is about 20-30 gigabytes per month (i think)
Posted by: andym

Re: Setting up Internet radio - 25/01/2005 17:52

Radica Broadcast do a managed system, I've dealt with them before (albeit for FM transmission systems) and can highly recommend them.