System Info via Browsers

Posted by: Micman2b

System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 17:02

I am looking for a website/program that will show you what information that is being passed to websites. I know that IE passes the outlook express profile info )email address) to websites when asked but I have now noticed that Firefox seems to be supplying at least the state that I live to websites when asked now.

I would like to find a website that shows all of this profile info that is being provided...

Sean in NC
Posted by: cushman

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 17:18

Quote:
I am looking for a website/program that will show you what information that is being passed to websites. I know that IE passes the outlook express profile info )email address) to websites when asked but I have now noticed that Firefox seems to be supplying at least the state that I live to websites when asked now.

This information is not being supplied by Firefox, they are guessing your state based upon your IP address. Are you on a cable modem/dsl line? If you are it is easy to guess what state you are in. Even IE did not pass information on to websites - it just tried to complete forms for you when it thought it could. No information was passed to another server. Generally a browser will only pass a referrer (website you clicked through from), your browser type, OS type, and any cookie information for that domain if asked. They already know your ip.

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 17:22

That makes sense,

Thanks for the info...
Posted by: Ezekiel

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 17:32

...and Happy Birthday to You!

-Zeke
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 18:03

Actually, his hostname doesn't have any obvious information in it (user-<randomnumber>.cable.<nationalisp>.com). A traceroute only yields information if you know that "Triad" refers to the Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC area, you're able to decipher gnboncsg into Greensboro, NC, or that CHA or Charlotte might mean Charlotte, NC (and the Charlotte stuff is about five hops back. And I find the likelihood of someone doing traceroutes to find that information pretty low.

Then again, these guys seem to have compiled a database.
Posted by: jmwking

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 18:10

And "those guys" have me about 3000 miles away from where I currently am (and no, I'm not using any tricks - it's just wrong).

-jk

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 18:18

Quote:
...and Happy Birthday to You!

-Zeke

Thanks

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 18:20

That would be the info that i have been seeing... Some websites have been more specific, like my real hometown instead of the TWC location in Greensboro...

Here is a page that displays your location if available from the IP address, I guess...

http://ag-weather.com/
Posted by: cushman

Re: System Info via Browsers - 06/04/2005 18:30

Quote:
Actually, his hostname doesn't have any obvious information in it

Not his hostname, his IP. That information is available and there are several vendors that supply lookups like this. Here is one that supplies a ton of information, all from your IP.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: System Info via Browsers - 07/04/2005 11:59

They got my city right. No wonder, given the site of our ISPs....
Posted by: tman

Re: System Info via Browsers - 07/04/2005 12:33

Happy Birthday!
Posted by: bonzi

Re: System Info via Browsers - 07/04/2005 17:27

Thanks!