My cat keeps eating my headphones...

Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 16/07/2005 20:46

Seriously. She eats the wires. Usually, it's been because I was careless and left the headphones on the ground, but once she even did it while I was wearing them! She comes up and plays with the wire. The cord gets cut and no sound. I have some expensive headphones too that she's chewed through. Just today, another headset - wasted.

If anyone has any advice on preventing this, I'm all ears. Maybe some stainless steal brake lines over the wires?

I want to get my headphones fixed. The repairs seem like they'd be so simple, but I can't splice wires that tiny. Am I going to get raped going to some electronics repair shop for something like this? I have about 4 or 5 sets to get fixed.
Posted by: andym

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 16/07/2005 20:59

Buy headphones with replacable cables? All my sennheiser cans have removable cables. Either that or cordless ones. Unless your headphones are seriously expensive and have captive cables then I'd say chuck them away.... and give your cat a kick up the arse.

I think brake line covers are likely to be too stiff.

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 16/07/2005 22:17

I actually have a nice set of Sennheisers, but replacing the cable is like 50 bucks!
Posted by: Laura

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 00:03

Spray wires with bitter-apple cat repellent or hot pepper sauce.

Surround wires with double-sided sticky tape.

I got these suggestions from a website on bad cat behavior, they were meant for plant eating but they should work for wires too.
Posted by: jimhogan

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 00:28

Quote:
My cat keeps eating my headphones...

Now let me think about this... cat....headphones........cat...headphones....
Posted by: AndrewT

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 01:02

Viz comic suggests moving to the UK (where we have a 240v mains supply) and fitting a 13Amp plug on the end of the cable. Coat it in Cattomeat and wait. That should help stop it!
Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 15:07

I'm with Andy. A well aimed kick up the arse each time it does it. It will learn!
Posted by: Heather

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 16:26

While I wouldn't advocate kicking kitty in the ass, he does need a not so subtle reminder of who the biped is. I'd reccommend a water pistol and a loud noise. i'd also second the bitter apple. The hot sauce smell under my nose would make me sick. Or put the headphones in a place the cat doesn't go.

Re: My cat keeps eating my headphones... - 17/07/2005 20:30

I have learned over the years (I guess the cat is training me rather than the other way around!) to put the headphones in a hard to reach place with the cable wound up. But all it takes is "one time" for her to do it. What really stinks is that she knows to not do it when I'm around, so it always happens sometime at night. This time, she even managed to jump on top of my PC tower and get the cable even though it was wound up. Since I don't know about it for a day or so, punishment in the form of a light tap on the nose doesn't do much good. She doesn't remember what I'm punishing her for.

It looks like I'm going to have to try some pepper or other type of deterent.... I just hope I can repair these things cheaply.