The Cube

Posted by: lectric

The Cube - 17/07/2005 04:09

Has anyone seen Cube, and if so, did you find it as cool as I did?
Posted by: mtempsch

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 05:35

Was on TV here a few weks ago. Interesting idea pretty well executed,despite being a genre I'm not normally into.
Posted by: frog51

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 05:52

It ain't bad - fairly predictable and derivative, but quite well planned. I enjoyed it immensely - sadly the sequel utterly let it down. So many potential plot hooks, left by the wayside. If you enjoyed this one, don't watch Hypercube!
Posted by: visuvius

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 06:48

I've seen it a couple times and enjoyed it right up until the end. For some reason, the ending left me thoroughly unsatisfied. What happens to the retarded guy? Where does he go? What the F is going on? I guess I'm more of a closure guy. All in all a neat movie with a cool gimmick.
Posted by: JeffS

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 09:12

I saw it years ago. It disturbed me, but I thought it was a good movie. It also shows what you can do with just a single set if you are creative!

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 09:18

Quote:
What happens to the retarded guy? Where does he go? What the F is going on?
To give any more information (which I hear they did in the sequal- and now prequel) would have lessened the impact of the movie. The questions of "How did they get there?" and "What happened once someone gets out?" are left unanswered, forcing the focus onto what the characters do while they are there. I really like closure and happy endings, and I wasn't necessarily happy at the end of the move, but I was impressed and felt the movie had been effective in what it was trying to do.

I'm not into "gruesome death" movies, but really the only part of the movie that got to me was the first scene where they guy is "cubed" to death. For some reason that one still gives me the willies. I think they blew half their SFX budget on that scene.
Posted by: Robotic

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 13:46

Oh, a movie? Never saw it.
I thought you meant this cube:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...1984796-9498358
Posted by: ineedcolor

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 17:22

Or this one...

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 17:42

Too late, I saw Hypercube. And Cube: Zero.

You're right. They weren't nearly as cool. Hypercube was interesting because I've always been interested in a 4,5,or 6 dimension universe. My wife was thoroughly unimpressed since she had no idea what they were talking about. Cube zero was unbelieveably bad. Total waste of time.

But I thought the first one was very very cool. Well done, makes you think, and very very different. Not bad for a budget of $300k. And shot totally in 1 room.

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 17:46

Quote:
Too late, I saw Hypercube. And Cube: Zero.
Heh, I talked a friend into seeing "The Cube" recently and he really enjoyed it. Now he's pressing me to see the other two- so far I've been resisting, but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out . . .

Re: The Cube - 17/07/2005 18:06

If he ABSOLUTELY must see another one, make it Hypercube. That ought to drive the point home. Make sure he knows that Cube: Zero is worse.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: The Cube - 18/07/2005 00:47

Supposedly, it's a pretty direct allegory of Canadian government, or something like that. I've always meant to find a quality critique with that thesis intended for a non-Canadian audience, but I've never quite gotten around to it.
Posted by: adavidw

Re: The Cube - 23/07/2005 08:47

Quote:

I was hoping they were talking about this cube.
Posted by: andym

Re: The Cube - 23/07/2005 09:07

Quote:
Quote:

WTF?!!!?!
Posted by: bonzi

Re: The Cube - 23/07/2005 11:03

Sigh....

Have you noticed that real cuckoos seem incapable of constructing an even remotely readable web site?
Posted by: Robotic

Re: The Cube - 25/07/2005 14:29

Quote:

Geeez-a-mamba! What a rant!
I don't have much time to attempt to read through that, but thanks for shaking my faith in humanity.
I was waiting for the part where he starts tearing into the freemasons...
Posted by: msaeger

Re: The Cube - 25/07/2005 19:51

That sounds like a somethingawful.com fake home page.