Gracenote queries

Posted by: SuperQ

Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 14:40

Is there a way to query, or a utility that will take a bunch of flac files and query gracenote? Some of my discs are not in freedb, so grip can't find track names.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 14:56

Probably not. Gracenote has banned all unlicensed clients from accessing their data.

However, since all Gracenote products must be licensed, it's easy enough to find all Gracenote clients.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 15:03

yea.. most are just ripers/enocders.. I was hoping to get a reccomendation for tag maintence so I wouldn't have to try every single app on the page
Posted by: pim

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 17:44

I use jack, probably the only ripper that supports both freedb and cddb/gracenote. Jack allows you to create your own freedb definition, which not only specifies the url and such, but also the program name it should report.

Reporting "xmcd" as the client program name does the trick. xmcd was the first cddb client ever, in fact its author created cddb.

Pim

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 18:03

Quote:
jack, probably the only ripper that supports both freedb and cddb/gracenote

Interesting. That's explicitly disallowed by the Gracenote license.
Posted by: pim

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 18:15

Well, jack isn't licensed and does not support gracenote/cddb out of the box. It just allows the user to "improvise".

Pim

Re: Gracenote queries - 08/09/2005 18:16

Quote:
I was hoping to get a reccomendation for tag maintence so I wouldn't have to try every single app on the page

You can winnow it down to only ID3 editors or even only free ID3 editors. (You have to pick an OS, though. Those are all Windows. There are only five Mac apps total, and only one Unix app.)