finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted)

Posted by: Daria

finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 23/09/2005 19:15

Check out pandora.com. this is what I wanted to do for a while. Guess I don't need to, or I won't get rich doing it, anyway.
Posted by: visuvius

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 23/09/2005 20:14

Oh my God. That is infinitely cool.

I love technology, but not as much as you, you see... But I STILL love technology... Always and forever

Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 23/09/2005 20:44

Always and Forever

GAH!
Posted by: Robotic

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 23/09/2005 20:46

Your mom goes to college!

/heh
Posted by: mcomb

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 23/09/2005 22:23

Huh, neat. They are streaming you 128kbps mp3s and the files are trivially easy to grab once they've suggested one to you. I wonder how they are getting away with that?

-Mike
Posted by: ninti

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 03:45

I was playing around with this last month, but I found its suggestions to be pretty poor. It's too bad, I really like the idea.
Posted by: larry818

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 05:01

I told it I like Pink Floyd, so played something from "The Final Cut", I think in a attempt to convince me I don't really like Pink Floyd.
Posted by: msaeger

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 08:10

I put in elf power so it first played an elf power song. Then the next song was from Poison which sounds strange but the song it picked had some guitar that sounded similar to the elf power song.
Posted by: Daria

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 11:05

Quote:
I was playing around with this last month, but I found its suggestions to be pretty poor. It's too bad, I really like the idea.

One thing I tried was "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction. It suggested a Mr. Big song which was interesting but not really goo-worthy. I guess some songs are just completely unique.

It seems to do a decent job, but it's not perfect.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 11:07

There's a different licensing scheme between users choosing songs and users having songs chosen for them, with the latter, obviously, being cheaper. As to the ease of downloading the songs, I don't think there's any legislation that states how easy it is to get copies of the songs that have been played for you. After all, it's pretty easy to tape off the radio.

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 11:14

This is very cool. Thanks.

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 11:38

Huh. Sometimes it plays a song, citing as a reason that it's got "Major Key Tonality" and other songs because they have "Minor Key Tonality". Now, given that those are really your only two options (I suppose it could have no tonality, but that would be an immensely boring song), how can it be using both as reasons? It'd be like TiVo suggesting things because they're B&W and other things because they're in color. In other words, "everything" is not a useful criterion, even if you specify it as two complementary sets.
Posted by: bootsy

Re: finding new music (someone implemented what i wanted) - 24/09/2005 16:03

Wow... this is fairly interesting. I tried something I thought would be moderately obscure, "The Book I Read" by Talking Heads. It countered with a thoroughly accurate description of the song and countered with ZZ Top "Cheap Sunglasses" and Bob Dylan "Neighborhood Bully". Very interesting choices...

I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but I noticed the 5.1 version of Winamp has something called "MusicMagic Mix" in the media library. It seems to work like Moodlogic did, but appears to be free. It only works on your personal collection and can make purchase suggestions. One thing I found very interesting is if you run it on it's "low variation" setting you get a very accurate playlist that gets very boring after a few songs...