EMI CD's with copy protection

Posted by: furtive

EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 20:16

I got a couple of CD's for Christmas with crappy EMI copy protection on them which makes them as good as coasters in my house seeing as the only CD player I have is in my PC.

Is there an easy way to rip these things? I'm tempted to just return them otherwise
Posted by: pgrzelak

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 20:38

What kind of copy protection do they use? Can't you see the tracks at all? Sometimes for really stubborn disks that the basic methods do not work with, I get very good results from ripping the individual audio tracks from the first session with cdrwin.
Posted by: andym

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 20:54

Every 'copy protected' CD I've had that refused to work under windows has ripped without issue using CDParanoia on a linux box.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 21:15

The only times I've been unable to rip a CD with EAC is when I forgot to turn off CD AutoRun/AutoPlay.
Posted by: larry818

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 23:22

I've never had dbpoweramp fail...
Posted by: Shonky

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 27/12/2005 23:26

I've had problems ripping the odd CD here and there. However, I've found that newer drives seem much better at ripping copy-protected CDs. An older Sony I had at work (32x8x4x burner) wouldn't rip but a newer (48x??x??x) ripped it just fine.

Are you using an old drive (i.e. >1-2 years) to rip?
Posted by: furtive

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 29/12/2005 18:14

I hadn't even tried to rip them as I was away from home. They've ripped fine using EAC
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: EMI CD's with copy protection - 31/12/2005 02:54

Disable AutoPlay = disable copy protection software. That's the elegance I'm talking about.