What's wrong with this picture? Anyone?

Posted by: FireFox31

What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 30/12/2005 20:48

Take your best shot: What's wrong with this picture? (~160kb, sorry)

Yes, scroll down. There, in the bottom right corner. That big red button should say "Huge Confusing Mess, Shop Elsewhere."

Some days I prefer completeness, but elegance always wins. The world has a lot to learn from Apple and HP regarding communication simplicity.
Posted by: wfaulk

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 30/12/2005 20:58

Yeah. Office Depot is virtually identical, though. I always spend half my time trying to figure out what category I'm supposed to be looking in. Seems like they could at least come up with some super-categories that could narrow down the front page.
Posted by: lastdan

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 30/12/2005 21:00

just kidding.

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 31/12/2005 02:18

So true about using IE. Sorry for the slip.

Worst thing is, that was the Staples.com front page. When it loaded, I felt hit by a ton of bricks. It looked more like a spammy link-farm "directory" than a major retailer. Now, I love complete product lists, but only when mentally prepared after clicking the "All Products" link.

Sad part is, they had the most qualified shredder (mile-long link) at the most decent price, so I bought from them. Quill, buy.com, and other trusted online retailers didn't measure up this time around. Oh well.

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 31/12/2005 02:23

Quote:
categories

Then there are sites like Dell and Gateway. You can't view products unless you identify which sector (~category) you are in. Every time, I think "What, are there different machines for different sectors? I want to see ALL the machines." So, I open every sector.
Posted by: lectric

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 31/12/2005 07:52

Ah, and the price changes depending on the sector you're in. Yeah, that makes sense.

Re: What's wrong with this picture? Anyone? - 31/12/2005 13:54

Exactly! Fun part is, my work can be considered state government, higher education, or non-profit, and my home purchases could be considered home or small business. So, I can get nearly any machine or price point that I'd like. (too bad I don't really want any of them, dispite the fact I have 8 showing up at work on Tuesday).