Very cool car.

Posted by: jbauer

Very cool car. - 27/04/2006 21:53

Met Ian Wright this afternoon. See lame Treo 650 pic. (attachment)

Couldn't touch him on the twisties on my 05 zx6r heading north on 35, and I don't feel that I'm a slow poke.

Watch the video here (click on the picture on the front page): http://www.wrightspeed.com/

- Jon
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: Very cool car. - 28/04/2006 00:47

That's the electric Ariel Atom chasis-based car featured in this month's Business 2.0. Neat. Not as practical as AC Propulsion's test car, but cool nonetheless.

Now if only the US didn't burn coal for the majority of its electricity...

Bruno
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Very cool car. - 28/04/2006 10:22

Well they can't have a hoodscoop and superchager on it like most dragcars. I say they should put a windmill on top and let it harness the power of the wind as it speeds along.
Posted by: Redrum

Re: Very cool car. - 28/04/2006 10:39

Quote:
Well they can't have a hoodscoop and superchager on it like most dragcars. I say they should put a windmill on top and let it harness the power of the wind as it speeds along.

Better yet - If you build a car with a big wheel in the back and a little one in front it will always be going down hill. An endless supply of power.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Very cool car. - 28/04/2006 12:03

That's a damn good idea. Building a perpetual motion machine is actually one of my goals in life, as well as finding a perfect winning strategy for chess and creating an algorithm that is capable of encoding any file as a single key that's 1 kb or less in length.
Posted by: SuperQ

Re: Very cool car. - 29/04/2006 04:01

yea, the guy brougt the car over to where I work and was giving rides to people.. the thing is awesome. the AC propultion motor/controller is a very well designed setup. couldn't get the guy to talk about where he got the LiIon battery pack tho.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: Very cool car. - 30/04/2006 13:27

AH! Ariel Atom. Must... have!

Re: Very cool car. - 07/05/2006 12:12

Ha!

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/07/wrightspeed-x1-electric-now-among-worlds-fastest-cars/

- Jon
Posted by: andy

Re: Very cool car. - 07/05/2006 13:26

There is some very crappy reporting on that car. The articles all seem to say "second only to the Veyron's 0-60" time, whereas in fact there are quite a few cars out there that can beat its 3.5 second time.

Most of the articles seem to imply that he designed the car and that it is a "production" model as well.

Still, I am all for fast, exciting electric cars. If we end up with lots electric cars on the roads in the coming years then they are going to end up having to fit loadspeakers to them (that go "vroom, vrooom"). Otherwise the number of pedestrians stepping out in front on the otherwise quiet cars is going to sky-rocket.
Posted by: bonzi

Re: Very cool car. - 07/05/2006 20:38

Quote:
There is some very crappy reporting on that car. The articles all seem to say "second only to the Veyron's 0-60" time, whereas in fact there are quite a few cars out there that can beat its 3.5 second time.

Also, they mention 8g. Let's see, 60mph is about 30m/s, which, if attained in 3 seconds, implies acceleration of about 10m/s2, or 1g. Did I miss an order of magnitude somewhere?

Quote:
Most of the articles seem to imply that he designed the car and that it is a "production" model as well.

Remind me which chasis is this - I saw it in Top Gear (Clarkson was grinning like madman driving it) but forgot the name.

Quote:
Still, I am all for fast, exciting electric cars. If we end up with lots electric cars on the roads in the coming years then they are going to end up having to fit loadspeakers to them (that go "vroom, vrooom"). Otherwise the number of pedestrians stepping out in front on the otherwise quiet cars is going to sky-rocket.

Posted by: CrackersMcCheese

Re: Very cool car. - 07/05/2006 20:46

Top Gear - Atom

0-60 in 2.9 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkEV-t9jg0

Re: Very cool car. - 28/06/2006 17:00

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/technology/business2_wrightspeed/

- Jon